Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

2006 was post "JBL is Poopy". Goddamn
I thought that was 2008-2009?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

triplexpac posted:

Edit: Yeah, even for a while when Impact was poo poo, they consistently put on great PPVs. The booking mentality at the time was "we will make a card full of great wrestling at the PPV, and book the storylines back from there"

So you'd get stupid angles a lot of the time, but at least the payoff would be Joe vs Daniels vs AJ, rather than Crimson vs Morgan.

I don't think this was ever true. The PPVs went way downhill when Russo came in, and had gone downhill even before Russo came in. Before that Impact had never really been poo poo, and after that there was never really a stretch of great TNA PPVs. A few here and there maybe.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

achillesforever6 posted:

I thought that was 2008-2009?

Oh was it? I only remember one JBL-Cena feud and that was in 2005 the first time he won the title. I stopped paying close attention a few years ago so there's a good chance I missed a more recent one though

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
JBL is poopy is definitely from 05.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Lloyd Boner posted:

JBL is poopy is definitely from 05.

I just checked, (s)he's right, it's from 08 during a feud JBL had with Cryme Tyme and Cena. I vaguely remember that stable now that I think about it

On another note, is the Hacksaw F4D interview worth listening to?

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Bryan and Dave said something on a recent observer about how "The finish to the Bryan/Punk match is obvious."

Not to me it's not! Spill the pork-less vegan friendly beans, Dave!

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
AJ runs in.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Well we all know that. What part of the build indicates who she's going to side with?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Meltzer should stop being on the radio shows because he's terrible as a radio personality and can't even speak half the time. Listening to him get all flustered trying to talk about the diva's swimsuit competition being the second most covered or whatever the hell he was trying to say leading to him stuttering like a moron until Alvarez just talks over him saying "Well my point was" to get him to stop is just embarrassing.

That or hook some electric shock mechanism up to him and zap him every time he says "Ya know"

PoO3
Dec 30, 2000

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Meltzer should stop being on the radio shows because he's terrible as a radio personality and can't even speak half the time. Listening to him get all flustered trying to talk about the diva's swimsuit competition being the second most covered or whatever the hell he was trying to say leading to him stuttering like a moron until Alvarez just talks over him saying "Well my point was" to get him to stop is just embarrassing.

That or hook some electric shock mechanism up to him and zap him every time he says "Ya know"

you would need a nuclear reactor to power that thing.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If Meltzer stops doing the radio shows there'd be no more unintentional Dave comedy, that's just not a price I'm willing to pay.

Also AOW with Adam Cole this week was a hell of a show.

Minges
May 4, 2006
'Cause everybody hates a tourist

njsykora posted:

If Meltzer stops doing the radio shows there'd be no more unintentional Dave comedy, that's just not a price I'm willing to pay.

Also AOW with Adam Cole this week was a hell of a show.

I don't know Adam Cole outside of that picture of his bloody face. I am now a fan because of his pathetic wrestling fan stories. "When I was angry at a classmate, that's when I'd wear my red 'Don't Trust Anyone' shirt!" and Colt's sad, knowing sighs were incredible.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The story about him telling a girl who was all over him that she'd have to wait until the end of a match he'd already seen live was even better.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Dave Meltzer is cool.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Oatgan posted:

Dave Meltzer is cool.

Yeah I'm going to agree with Oatgan on this one. If it was a real radio show (because it's not. It's a podcast) I'd be on board with Carlisle, but Dave being Dave is just so loving entertaining.

If you want "radio personalities" listen to the LAW. Jason Agnew is a giant dickbag but he sure is a radio personality.

e: though Dave does 15-20 minutes on the LAW every week too so, y'know, that's the mentality I guess.

Karmine fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jun 29, 2012

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Karmine posted:

Yeah I'm going to agree with Oatgan on this one. If it was a real radio show (because it's not. It's a podcast) I'd be on board with Carlisle, but Dave being Dave is just so loving entertaining.

If you want "radio personalities" listen to the LAW. Jason Agnew is a giant dickbag but he sure is a radio personality.

e: though Dave does 15-20 minutes on the LAW every week too so, y'know, that's the mentality I guess.

Calling Jason Agnew a dickbag is an insult to dickbags everywhere. I can't listen to the LAW precisely because of him.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
I wish Dave had more of an understanding as to what constitutes a conversation, at least. His jumping in on Bryan in the middle of every point he tries to make really wore on me.

On the other hand, Bryan is the king of atrocious points and nonsensical analogies, so it found a natural balance.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
They need to bring back that guy who droned on and on about video games, then you'd all appreciate the greatness that is Dave

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

triplexpac posted:

They need to bring back that guy who droned on and on about video games, then you'd all appreciate the greatness that is Dave

Oh god I remember that dude, he was awesome.

They also need to bring back MARK, the ECW fan.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

njsykora posted:

Calling Jason Agnew a dickbag is an insult to dickbags everywhere. I can't listen to the LAW precisely because of him.

On the other hand, he hosts a bunch of kids shows up here in Canada and his attitude is always just bubbling beneath the surface. He pretty clearly hates kids and it's pretty funny to watch sometimes. Personally I'll take him over Dan Lovranski any day.

Honestly they should just give the show to Pollock and Wai Ting. Their Review-A-Raw/Review-A-Wai shows are really good.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

jeffersonlives posted:

Jereme Warneck, the video games guy, as well as the boxing idiot. Unlike Sempervive, Jereme wrote the most horribly bloated, awful boxing articles I have ever read. When he recapped fights, he would spend like the opening 3-4 paragraphs just talking about the fighters' reaches and record and backgrounds and oh my god it was awful.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I like Dave and Bryan. I like the dynamic and I like that Dave knows what he's talking about.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

I wish Dave had more of an understanding as to what constitutes a conversation, at least. His jumping in on Bryan in the middle of every point he tries to make really wore on me.

This is the problem further compounded by the fact that alot of the time Dave is just rambling or mumbling or stuttering and his brain does not work as fast as his mouth or whatever is happening. He just talks and talks and talks and alot of the time he's just stopping in the middle of a sentence repeatedly and starting over and if Bryan doesn't stop him he'll burn ten minutes verbally running in place.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Dave Meltzer is better than Pro Wrestling.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

HulkaMatt posted:

Dave Meltzer is better than Pro Wrestling.

"Is better than pro wrestling" probably applies to just about anyone

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

flashy_mcflash posted:

Honestly they should just give the show to Pollock and Wai Ting. Their Review-A-Raw/Review-A-Wai shows are really good.

Wai Ting is the worst best name. I love the play on it on Wednesday's Review A Wai openings but the rest of the time its cheesiness overwhelms me.

But yeah those two rule. They do Review-an-Impact as well with some guy from the southern US calling in every week as a third mic, he's OK I guess.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Mr. Carlisle posted:

This is the problem further compounded by the fact that alot of the time Dave is just rambling or mumbling or stuttering and his brain does not work as fast as his mouth or whatever is happening. He just talks and talks and talks and alot of the time he's just stopping in the middle of a sentence repeatedly and starting over and if Bryan doesn't stop him he'll burn ten minutes verbally running in place.

Yeah, Dave's rampant 'sperging is kinda sad, but with the right partner (aka not Bryan) it's not as distracting. Dave almost sounded like a normal person on Konnan's podcast, for example.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

oldskool posted:

Wai Ting is the worst best name. I love the play on it on Wednesday's Review A Wai openings but the rest of the time its cheesiness overwhelms me.

But yeah those two rule. They do Review-an-Impact as well with some guy from the southern US calling in every week as a third mic, he's OK I guess.

TNAte! He's awesome. And I don't mind Lovranski too much either but to each their own.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

TNate is the SamuraiFoochs of TNA. I like him in spite of his TNApologist ways though, seems like a nice dude.

Lovranski plays in a local surf rock band called Bruiser Brody and they all dress as wrestlers on stage. This is as much a reason to like as dislike him.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Please tell me my podcast is worth something.

http://archive.org/details/SaturdayNightCurtainJerkersJune302012GenerationProphecyNextSaints

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

jeffersonlives posted:

he got fired after having a really really really really bad meltdown on the board when smackdown vs raw 2010 sucked

i think the barometer to him havin mental issues was his SvR 2010 review being longer than that weeks observer

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

On the other hand, Bryan is the king of atrocious points and nonsensical analogies, so it found a natural balance.

Thing is, Bryan knows this and knows that Dave is the perfect, albeit unwitting, straight man to his nonsense, which is why it works so well. Just like he knows when to shut up and let his guests do the talking, something which immediately makes him a better interviewer than 90% of the people out there.

Also, people who don't "get" Dave, I really feel sorry for you. You're missing out on a good thing, guys. :smith:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

flashy_mcflash posted:

I miss Big Daddy Donnie and Gentleman Geoff Merek.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Borh posted:

Thing is, Bryan knows this and knows that Dave is the perfect, albeit unwitting, straight man to his nonsense, which is why it works so well. Just like he knows when to shut up and let his guests do the talking, something which immediately makes him a better interviewer than 90% of the people out there.

Also, people who don't "get" Dave, I really feel sorry for you. You're missing out on a good thing, guys. :smith:

I'm convinced that the only reason he keeps suggesting the name "WrestleMMAnia" is to annoy Dave

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

I'm convinced that the only reason he keeps suggesting the name "WrestleMMAnia" is to annoy Dave

It just has to be.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I think Wrestle MMAnia is hilarious.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

WrestleMMAnia, Meltzer Monster, and Granny being a fan of Ron Paul have rounded out a good week for the Empire.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

WrestleMMAnia, Meltzer Monster, and Granny being a fan of Ron Paul have rounded out a good week for the Empire.

Granny, no... :ohdear:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I knew I hated her segments for a reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Gonzo McFee posted:

Granny, no... :ohdear:

Granny, noted Joel Osteen follower, a Ron Paul fan? While I never :monocle:

• Locked thread