Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeeYouEnTee
May 5, 2010

Pickle Presenter

epalm posted:

Just noticed brake fluid is suddenly leaking out the top of my bike.

The level is still above the line, I popped off the top and there was a little plastic fleck floating around. And it looks like the plastic is actually corroded. What the Christ...
http://i.imgur.com/43tWT.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/n2MSS.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/rSzre.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/pJdDP.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Oxo11.jpg

Check your diaphragm on the bottom of that cover to see if it's correctly centered or if it has a hole. Pull it off and see if there's fluid behind it.

If your fluid level is above the 'full' mark on the sight glass suck some out or blot it out with a towel.

Wipe down all mating surfaces, wipe off your screws, put diaphragm back on, insert screws into top and make sure everything is flush before popping it back on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

the walkin dude posted:

Now and then with my 2001 SV650, it would give me a slight hesitation when I twist the throttle, like a half second's worth, before accelerating. I checked out under the gas tank two weeks ago and saw through the de-snorkeled air filter cover that my air filter looked dirty. I plan to check deeper tomorrow, but was wondering if the slight-hesitation issue could be from that?

What RPM does it occur at? If it's consistently at a certain RPM then it might be a flat spot and you might need a rejet if it hasn't been done already. I had this issue myself, anyway.

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

clutchpuck posted:

It's a possibility. The wife's beemer runs like garbage if the filter requires cleaning.

I'd drain what's in it and put some motorcycle-specific stuff in. Look for a JASO-MA certification on the label. This is inexpensive and definitely wet clutch compatible http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Castrol-1-qt-10W-40-4T-4-Stroke-motorcycle-oil/_/N-25ie?itemIdentifier=493838_0_0_

Right on, I'm considering a "seafoam the poo poo of the crankcase/oil change" tomorrow morning in a vein, last-ditch attempt at fixing the problem without tearing the bike apart. Otherwise, I'll be picking up a haynes/clymer manual, some additional tools, and new friction plates when I get paid.

Boss
Feb 23, 2011
Welp, it finally happened. Someone absconded with my precious Ninja 250 last night. I suppose that's what I get for parking it downtown on the street. Just put new tires, brake lines and handle bars on it and got it setup exactly the way I wanted so I'm pretty pissed, but such is life, at least it was insured.

Which brings me to my question. I'm just coming up on a year of riding experience, I fully planned to ride the 250 for another season but faced with the prospect of buying a new bike I'd rather get something different and a little more powerful. I'm trying to figure out what my options are.

I'd love to just go a drop the cash on a 600cc supersport, but I'd probably kill myself and insurance would be insane. I'd like to get a little more experience before getting a bike like that. So I'm trying to compile a short list of bikes I can cross shop.

I'd like to get something with a sporty riding position (or something I can convert to a sport riding position with minimal effort), something more powerful than a 250, something that won't be crazy on insurance and something with a good community and plentiful parts.

So far I've been looking at SV650(s), FZ6(r), Ninja 400r, Monster. Anything I'm forgetting? Any other recommendations?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Where do you live that you can get a Ninja 400?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Boss posted:

So far I've been looking at SV650(s), FZ6(r), Ninja 400r, Monster. Anything I'm forgetting? Any other recommendations?

Ninja 650R.

Boss
Feb 23, 2011

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Toronto. I've actually seen quite a few of them around here.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Toronto, Ontario.

And, KR-1S. The bike will kill you instead of the insurance.

e;f;b

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

epalm posted:

Just noticed brake fluid is suddenly leaking out the top of my bike.

The level is still above the line, I popped off the top and there was a little plastic fleck floating around. And it looks like the plastic is actually corroded. What the Christ...
http://i.imgur.com/43tWT.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/n2MSS.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/rSzre.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/pJdDP.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Oxo11.jpg

Here's the level. Is it too high?

Why would this become a problem now? The brake fluid was changed in Oct of last year.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

epalm posted:

Here's the level. Is it too high?

Why would this become a problem now? The brake fluid was changed in Oct of last year.

It can take some time for fluid to seep upward through a half-mangled plastic seal.

Also, it looks like you may be missing the little rubber bellows/baffle thing that goes in there.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Get a SV650 and outfit it with stainless brake lines, new tires, and R6 throttle tube and you'll be golden.

I moved onto a 2003 SV650N after a year of owning both a Ninja 250 and Ninja 500. It was an amazing upgrade. Don't get the Ninja 400/650, get the SV. :getin:

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

The Ninja 650 is significantly more modern than the old Ninja 500, they don't really compare. It makes the same power output as an SV650 with a smoother torque curve and is pretty forgiving of newbie mistakes.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the SV650. I was cross shopping the SV650, FZ6, and Ninja 650 and the crapshoot that is the used market led me to a mint Ninja 650 before a good clean SV650/FZ6. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the 3.

The aftermarket is indeed largest for the SV650, however, so if that matters a lot to you then take that into account. Problem is, seems like there's no such thing as a stock/unmolested used SV650, at least not that I ever saw. :(

Boss
Feb 23, 2011

the walkin dude posted:

Get a SV650 and outfit it with stainless brake lines, new tires, and R6 throttle tube and you'll be golden.

I moved onto a 2003 SV650N after a year of owning both a Ninja 250 and Ninja 500. It was an amazing upgrade. Don't get the Ninja 400/650, get the SV. :getin:

Why would you suggest the SV over the Ninja? Now that I've looked at the Ninja 650 its fairly attractive and the insurance cost is the same for both. The Ninja appears to be quite a bit cheaper in my area (given same year and similar KMs/Miles).

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

epalm posted:

I dunno if anyone answered this yet, but the bubbling and peeling black stuff you're seeing is black paint coming off the brake master housing, which is actually aluminum and not plastic, except for the sight glass. This happens because of years of brake fluid spilling a little bit on the paint. Brake fluid is a nasty chemical that eats paint and lots of other stuff. Make sure you have the rubber bellows inside there, as was said, but bottom line is you just want to prevent little fluid spills in the future when adding brake fluid.

Brake fluid is attracted to water, so the best way to clean it up is to wet a paper towel and wipe down any area you think might have brake fluid on it. Like all around the outside of the master cylinder. You'll be amazed how well this works, if you've tried to wipe up brake fluid with a dry rag before. It's like magic.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
Can I ride in PA and WV on an Ohio Learners Permit?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I think that as long as you're following the restrictions on your permit (no interstates, no riding after dark, whatever it is) you can go wherever you want. You should even be able to go up to Canada with it if you like. You're not a resident of PA or WV, so there's no way you could get a license from those states even if you wanted to, and they aren't exactly going to keep people out for that reason.

VVVV ah, yes, insurance would be where the problems are if there are going to be any.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 29, 2012

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
That's a question better answered by your local DMV, insurance, or the state that you are going to. You could be legal to drive but not covered by insurance, or vice versa depending.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

Boss posted:

Why would you suggest the SV over the Ninja? Now that I've looked at the Ninja 650 its fairly attractive and the insurance cost is the same for both. The Ninja appears to be quite a bit cheaper in my area (given same year and similar KMs/Miles).

The SV has a more-fun torque curve than the Ninja 650. My Ninja 500R felt just about the same as the 650R - after all, they're parallel twins. In March I was teaching my good friend to ride his new 2005 SV650 in a parking lot when this random motorcyclist on a 650R stopped by to chat with us. He offered me a ride on his 650R. That was my first ride ever on one of those things, and it struck me as particularly weak and benign compared to the SV. The SV's engine vibrations seemed more smoother, even. My friend then let the guy ride his SV650, and he was impressed by the machine.

I dunno if I'm ever gonna go back to parallel twins other than the 250R.

Oh yeah, don't forget the vastly bigger aftermarket world for the SV, bigger online community, and there being a lack of a thread devoted to the 650R in CA. :x

the walkin dude fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 29, 2012

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Pulled out the air filter from my 2001 SV.

Does anyone know what filter this is? Is it a conventional filter? It looks dirty, but not unacceptably dirty.

The last owner did this to the bike: 150 main jets, 17.5 pilot jets, de-snorkeled, 2.5 turns on the A/F screws. And there's the dual Renegade full-system exhaust. Any recommendations for replacement filters? :)

the walkin dude fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 29, 2012

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I stirred some poo poo on BARF by saying parallel twins are boring. Seems like people like them because they have tons of "overrev" which I can only assume is lingo for "bike loses horsepower in the topend" which seems really lame and not that likeable at all

The engines are buzzier and have less torque and get worse mileage than SV's, from what I've found. I think it goes without saying that torque is the most fun you'll have while riding in 90% of the environments you're usually in, too.

edit: Those jets seem way too rich for a de-snorkel. Mikuni 142.5's are like the highest I've heard of anyone having to rejet to for any airflow and slipons.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
It has that full system dual exhaust. Is that why?

The engine performs quite smoothly and beautifully except for that occasional hesitation.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Ah. I'm unfamiliar with dual exhausts so I can't really comment. :(

Still, hesitation is usually an AFR issue, but I don't know what else it might be since I'm still learning the wizardry that is carburetion.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

the walkin dude posted:

The SV has a more-fun torque curve than the Ninja 650. My Ninja 500R felt just about the same as the 650R - after all, they're parallel twins.

I think you're really grasping at straws here, as the dyno charts are extremely similar with the SV having a very slight edge. Despite the parallel twin vs V-twin, the SV and Ninja are a lot more alike than you seem willing to admit. They're all great middleweight bikes, you can't really go wrong.

Also, the Ninja 500 makes a lot less power and torque than the 650, on the order of 15hp/15 ft lbs less. That's a big difference when we're talking 65hp vs 50hp and 45 ft lbs vs 30 ft lbs.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Xovaan posted:

I stirred some poo poo on BARF by saying parallel twins are boring.

Pff, parallel twins are the best layout. All the benefits of a V-twin, but with both exhaust pipes right up front in the cold air, and equal cylinder cooling if you're air-cooled. Plus, everything from the carburetors to the transmission just fits together in a nice compact box.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Sagebrush posted:

everything from the carburetors to the transmission just fits together in a nice compact box.

That's great pretty much only if the bike is engineered to be packed in a crate and shipped overseas.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Naw, it's just a logical design. The whole power plant in one compact unit that just pops in and out.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Xovaan posted:

I stirred some poo poo on BARF by saying parallel twins are boring.
They're middle of the range. The boring spectrum goes like this, from boring to least boring: i4, i3, 1, i2, h2, v2. There are some I'm not sure where to put on the chart like i6, h4 and h6, but they're more unusual.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Parallel twin never sound as good as a V-twin though, and for that all glory to the V-twin

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Guinness posted:

I think you're really grasping at straws here, as the dyno charts are extremely similar with the SV having a very slight edge. Despite the parallel twin vs V-twin, the SV and Ninja are a lot more alike than you seem willing to admit. They're all great middleweight bikes, you can't really go wrong.

Also, the Ninja 500 makes a lot less power and torque than the 650, on the order of 15hp/15 ft lbs less. That's a big difference when we're talking 65hp vs 50hp and 45 ft lbs vs 30 ft lbs.

That dip at 5k is a real bitch.

the walkin dude posted:

Pulled out the air filter from my 2001 SV.

Does anyone know what filter this is? Is it a conventional filter? It looks dirty, but not unacceptably dirty.

The last owner did this to the bike: 150 main jets, 17.5 pilot jets, de-snorkeled, 2.5 turns on the A/F screws. And there's the dual Renegade full-system exhaust. Any recommendations for replacement filters? :)
Looks like the stock filter with a big hole drilled in the top.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Z3n posted:

That dip at 5k is a real bitch.

Yeah not sure what that's about, I don't see the same dip on other dyno charts of the Ninja. I just chose that one since it stacks the Ninja, SV, FZ6, and 599 all together.

For instance, another 2006 650R:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

They're middle of the range. The boring spectrum goes like this, from boring to least boring: i4, i3, 1, i2, h2, v2. There are some I'm not sure where to put on the chart like i6, h4 and h6, but they're more unusual.

I hear God himself invented the v-twin.

I might swap i3 and h2 on your proposed order though.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

I'm still new to all this. Why is the i4 so boring?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Because you can't use the fun powerband on the street without breaking laws.

All the laws.

clutchpuck posted:

I hear God himself invented the v-twin.

I might swap i3 and h2 on your proposed order though.

BMW and Ducati bias...

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
Ninja 650r is an awesome 2nd bike after the 250. It might give up a bit of power to the SV stock when stock, but put an aftermarket exhaust that removes the restrictive stock muffler and catalytic converter and it gets noticeably more powerful at the top end. Plus it sounds awesome.
Does the SV have a cat?

Day Man posted:

I'm still new to all this. Why is the i4 so boring?

It's not. It's the most fun configuration. Once you hit the powerband it's like a rocket taking off.

I dare anyone to go drive a 600 or 1000 supersport and actually use the motor instead of pussying around shifting at 7k and then call it boring.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

aventari posted:

Plus it sounds awesome.

I do love the sound of the 650R. The uneven firing interval gives it that awesome lumpy exhaust note. I've been thinking about getting an aftermarket exhaust for mine, but don't really want it to be all that much louder. Any recommendations?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Guinness posted:

I do love the sound of the 650R. The uneven firing interval gives it that awesome lumpy exhaust note. I've been thinking about getting an aftermarket exhaust for mine, but don't really want it to be all that much louder. Any recommendations?

Drill some holes in the stock exhaust baffles.

aventari posted:

Ninja 650r is an awesome 2nd bike after the 250. It might give up a bit of power to the SV stock when stock, but put an aftermarket exhaust that removes the restrictive stock muffler and catalytic converter and it gets noticeably more powerful at the top end. Plus it sounds awesome.
Does the SV have a cat?

It's not. It's the most fun configuration. Once you hit the powerband it's like a rocket taking off.

I dare anyone to go drive a 600 or 1000 supersport and actually use the motor instead of pussying around shifting at 7k and then call it boring.

Yeah but you rev past 7k and you're breaking every speed limit in the country :(

Guinness posted:

Yeah not sure what that's about, I don't see the same dip on other dyno charts of the Ninja. I just chose that one since it stacks the Ninja, SV, FZ6, and 599 all together.

For instance, another 2006 650R:

EPA emissions dip. If you rejet, it goes away.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Z3n posted:

EPA emissions dip. If you rejet, it goes away.

So if the bike is EFI (which it is), it would need something like a chip?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Guinness posted:

So if the bike is EFI (which it is), it would need something like a chip?

Power commander, yeah.

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

ANUDDAH SUCCESSFOOL PRECEEDJUH!
Speaking of the power commander...

Once you lock out the O2 sensors, will your bike have problems adjusting to extreme altitudes? I just installed a PC V, and I want to head up to the Rockies this summer. The PC V was set up at an elevation of around 700ft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

CombatMedic posted:

Speaking of the power commander...

Once you lock out the O2 sensors, will your bike have problems adjusting to extreme altitudes? I just installed a PC V, and I want to head up to the Rockies this summer. The PC V was set up at an elevation of around 700ft.

No, you'll just lose some power. Not a problem.