Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Did John reuse a few jokes from his Daily Show bit about Obama/drones? That really confused me because I thought for a minute that I had listened to the episode already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Popelmon posted:

Did John reuse a few jokes from his Daily Show bit about Obama/drones? That really confused me because I thought for a minute that I had listened to the episode already.

I don't watch enough Daily Show to know about that, but he definitely polishes some Bugle bits to use in his standup, so it wouldn't surprise me. Still totally worthwhile to see him live.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Andy reuses Bugle bits in the Tonight show he does with Rory Bremner.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Andy also reused some stuff for 7 Day Sunday. I can't fault either of them for reusing stuff: when your schtick is topical comedy and you're on multiple deadlines, I can't expect you to find a separate punchline about the jubilee for each of your gigs.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Oh it's absolutely understandable. I was just confused for a second :shobon:.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Andy is on the latest episode of shouty comedy panel show podcast Do The Right Thing. He's quite good at delivering puns on the fly too.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Andy and Chris (and Alun Cochrane) doing commentary for the France v England match right now on Absolute Radio 90s is rather ace. Andy is bringing in the history facts, and Chris has written a quiz for "these slow parts of the game".

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
This is where I was about to jump in with a link, but instead a got a "no streaming outside the UK" message...so this is where I have to load that blankety-blanking Expat Shield like a scroungy foreigner.

e: Okay, here: http://absoluteradio90s.co.uk/?utm_source=ar&utm_medium=channelbar&utm_campaign=a9. As usual with web radio, there's a few minutes' lag, so your DVR rewind is your buddy here.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 11, 2012

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I survive on my proxies. What's the link?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

tooooooo bad posted:

Andy is on the latest episode of shouty comedy panel show podcast Do The Right Thing. He's quite good at delivering puns on the fly too.

He works in a Sexy Zombie Florence Nightingale reference. Would listen again.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

It looks like we're probably getting another gently caress You-logy this week...

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

thexerox123 posted:

It looks like we're probably getting another gently caress You-logy this week...

And it will be glorious

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

And it will be glorious

Seems I may have spoken too soon, though.

Also, I've been watching through what episodes of 8 out of 10 Cats that I can find, and just turned one on, only to find that Andy is one of the panelists! Excellent. :D

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Man that is really dickish of you to not give the number of the episode :mad: . What, do you want me to watch the show that doesn't have Mr. Zaltzman in it?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

toanoradian posted:

Man that is really dickish of you to not give the number of the episode :mad: . What, do you want me to watch the show that doesn't have Mr. Zaltzman in it?

Haha, sorry. Series 7, episode 7.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Huh. The clip available on YouTube says it's S07E06. Anyway, I just watched it and Andy doesn't seem to have his wits. There's the joke about how lending money to people who couldn't pay back is wrong and then few weak jokes about how his life and dad is utterly normal.

To people who've watched Political Animal, is it just like the Bugle? And is there a way to hear it?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

toanoradian posted:

To people who've watched Political Animal, is it just like the Bugle? And is there a way to hear it?

Political Animal is a live show where Andy comperes a gaggle of political comics. A while back it had a Radio 4 show where in-studio John and Andy threw to clips recorded from the live version. The in-studio bits took the form of a condensed and bizarre story (only example I remember is their being shot out of a cannon at a swan), which had a very different energy to the Bugle as it was more tightly scripted and produced, rather than just two friends chatting. There are no legitimate ways to listen to that now, though 4 Extra could maybe might possibly replay it eventually. The live show might be recorded on a phone and uploaded to youtube, but nothing beyond that.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Where can I find the Bugle episode where John Oliver rips into the Smurfs movie? Google and YouTube have turned up nothing and it's not in the OP, despite its hilarity being the one thing I ever hear about the podcast.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Speaking of John and Andy on radio 4, if you can ever find a legit way of listening to The Department, it's basically loving brilliant. John, Andy, Chris Addison (from The Thick Of It) and Matt Holness (from Garth Marengi's Darkplace) as employees of a vast and confusing government department that secretly runs everything. Brilliant, and very bugle-esque albeit scripted.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Max22 posted:

Where can I find the Bugle episode where John Oliver rips into the Smurfs movie? Google and YouTube have turned up nothing and it's not in the OP, despite its hilarity being the one thing I ever hear about the podcast.

It's not something that only happens in one episode, jokes about The Smurfs and The Love Guru are quite common throughout the episodes. If you want to listen to the first time that John announced his role in The Smurfs, though, it's episode #112, just over ~5 minutes in.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Question. I've been listening to the Bugle backwards and reaching #140 now. What is up with John's obsession with Pippa Middleton?

Secondly, what does 'cold and wet weaver' refer to? In one of the episodes John referenced it and Andy said it was one of the legendary moments of comedy, but the episodes before it didn't really say anything about the weaver.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

toanoradian posted:

Question. I've been listening to the Bugle backwards and reaching #140 now. What is up with John's obsession with Pippa Middleton?

Secondly, what does 'cold and wet weaver' refer to? In one of the episodes John referenced it and Andy said it was one of the legendary moments of comedy, but the episodes before it didn't really say anything about the weaver.

I think originally it was a joke about how the media was obsessing over Pippa/her bottom during the build-up to the Royal Wedding, but I'm pretty sure it eventually just became a reflex for him, haha.

& "Cold and wet weaver" was one of Andy's dog puns, from episode 117, I think.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jun 30, 2012

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea, during the royal wedding stuff many media outlets focused on Pippa, and many creepy people focused on her rear end, so John makes fun of that by shoehorning her into any anything remotely royal now, which is often hilarious.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Glitterbomber posted:

Yea, during the royal wedding stuff many media outlets focused on Pippa, and many creepy people focused on her rear end, so John makes fun of that by shoehorning her into any anything remotely royal now, which is often hilarious.

I'd like to shoehorn- oh, sorry.

Oh, Pippa.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I lost it when he did that voice when talking about the PIPA/SOPA stuff in the US.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Lady Gaza posted:

I lost it when he did that voice when talking about the PIPA/SOPA stuff in the US.

"What are you proposing, PIPA? Naughty PIPA! Naughty, naughty PIPA!"

If I remember correctly. So unsettling. Haha.

(Checked, yeah, episode 179, just a few minutes in)

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Listened to 199 again and the new lyrics to the Star-Spangled Banner about hitting home runs into the sea off of an aircraft carrier should be adopted nationwide.

The only thing that would have been better is if The American had made an appearance, as he is a noted aficionado of the jet-ski.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Jet Jaguar posted:

Listened to 199 again and the new lyrics to the Star-Spangled Banner about hitting home runs into the sea off of an aircraft carrier should be adopted nationwide.

The only thing that would have been better is if The American had made an appearance, as he is a noted aficionado of the jet-ski.

A true patriot would use a Sea-Doo branded personal water vehicle, as they're now owned by Bain Capital.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Can anyone access the archive posted in the first page? I can't seem to.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

toanoradian posted:

I haven't been able to for awhile... and it's gone from google searches and the entire page gamesplusone seems to be gone. :(

So yeah, I don't think it's a valid link, anymore. :smith:

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Aww, man :(. I only have from #140 upwards. I didn't even get to the episode with the dog puns! Any goon have the rest of the episodes? Would sharing them count as :filez:?

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Boom, bitches. Listen to your heart's content. I started from the very beginning a few weeks ago, I've gotten through the first 25 or so. For the most part they really started strong and just kept it up, I'm impressed.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Bless you!

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

You loving rock

Hexaoct
May 1, 2007

toanoradian posted:

I got 160-177 from here when that archive went down. It looks like they have all the old ones, but I didn't check to see if they all worked, so no promises.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Thanks for that, Hexaoct and BobTheCow.

rockamiclikeavandal
Jul 2, 2010

Well....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5tkXgw2OMY

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Episode 200, and an amazing intro by John Oliver for this momentous occasion.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Zsinjeh posted:

Episode 200, and an amazing intro by John Oliver for this momentous occasion.

but no American and the death of a popular character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Eagerly awaiting the LMFAO remix as mentioned by Producer Chris.

• Locked thread