Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Southern Dandy posted:

SpaceMost posted:

Harpies ain't poo poo and they ain't say nothing
A hundred Jorah Mormonts can't tell me nothing
I poo poo in the grass, poo poo poo poo in the grass
I poo poo in the grass, poo poo poo poo in the grass
American Tolkien right there.
-"TIME Person of the Year 2006"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmZvOhHF85I

sh sh ittin' in tha grass

kcroy fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 1, 2012

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Gibbone posted:

YOSPOS sci fi thread is currently discussing the goon-made Game of Thrones/Warhammer 40k crossover fanfic. I didn't know this existed. I must have it.

Here's the completed file, crazypeltast reposted some of it earlier in the thread as part of his exploration of the old Bad Threads, but there was more that he didn't post.

It was kind of shameful to write, but it was also a lot of fun, and hearing peoples' responses to it was always interesting.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
drat, drat what they say about me?
I don't know man, gently caress is on your locust?
If I get sick, flying on a big bitch
I don't know man, I'm shittin' on your whole life

e:
serry serry tarly tarly florent florent ashford
tyrell bitches fly those flags so i dont even bother
i put that on my vassals, I put that on my family
casterly rock representer, address me as your majesty
yeah you can kiss the ring, but you can never touch the crown
i drink a million poppey pods and i ain't never coming down
bitch you ain't no hot poo poo I see you work at baelish's
number 2, myrish swamp, hurry up i'm horny
nuncles, mummer's farce, in the keep i'm magical
see me at your family seat, baggie full of dragon coin
raven if you need a fix, raven if you need a boost
see them other tarred stark heads? they don't never leave the coop
i'm in the litter cruising, i got the sacred salt and bread
serving all the fiends over there by the frey's blood shed
bridge, i'm colder than the wall and the freezer
i'm snatching all your banners at my leisure

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jul 1, 2012

Gibbone
May 8, 2011

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I need to go play Napoleon: Total War.

Also, FYI, musket balls can't pierce armor plate. Unless they were using hardened steel balls and a poo poo ton of powder, in which case that musket will only ever fire one shot in its lifetime.

The ball / bullet / shot has to be a softer metal than your barrel, or the bore will get torn to shreds (most guns have steel barrels, which is why we use lead and copper bullets). As for powder, if you have enough powder behind a lead ball for it to punch steel, the gun would have to massively thick, not just a regular musket barrel, as that's going to take an outrageous amount of force (Newtonian physics what what), and even then only at close ranges, as musket balls have poo poo trajectory and lose almost all their energy after a few feet.

Source: crazy gun nut

musketchat

you don't need an impractical quantity of powder or a hugely thick barrel you just need something machined well enough to have a decent fit between barrel and ball (ie. absolutely anything made after the 1600s) to retain enough energy to cause damage. The fact that the shot is lead doesn't really matter considering the sheer velocity of the round will just punch a hole right through any practical amount of steel plate you can wear (only like 2 or 3mm thick in the thickest spots). Hence everyone stopped wearing armour because it cost lots of money and gave you almost no protection if not made you wounds worse by dragging flakes and chunks of filthy metal and mail into your bullet wound.

/musketchat

now a cool plot development would be if the maesters developed gunpowder while suppressing magic and formed a private army of musketeers, becoming a new set of players in the plot (we need more of these)

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Gibbone posted:

now a cool plot development would be if the maesters developed gunpowder while suppressing magic and formed a private army of musketeers, becoming a new set of players in the plot (we need more of these)

It would be cool for Archmaester Samwell to whip out his cglock, but I think GRRM said somewhere that gunpowder doesn't exist on planet ASOIAF, explaining why civilization has seemingly stagnated for thousands of years.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Kylaer posted:

Here's the completed file, crazypeltast reposted some of it earlier in the thread as part of his exploration of the old Bad Threads, but there was more that he didn't post.

It was kind of shameful to write, but it was also a lot of fun, and hearing peoples' responses to it was always interesting.

I will forever be proud of my cameo as a possessed Imperial Guardsman!

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

In It For The Tank posted:

It would be cool for Archmaester Samwell to whip out his cglock, but I think GRRM said somewhere that gunpowder doesn't exist on planet ASOIAF, explaining why civilization has seemingly stagnated for thousands of years.

"stagnant" or "golden-age"!

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20

That makes no sense. Does he even know what's in gunpowder?

basx
Aug 16, 2004

Sassy old man!

Ambiguatron posted:

poo poo, lemoncakes, and sulfur.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Ambiguatron posted:

Perhaps saltpeter isn't available in significant quantities on the planet Asoiaf, as the maesters seem too busy being retarded to dally overmuch in chemistry.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Gunpowder would quickly end the whole knights-in-armor thing that the readers love. Probably also the same reason why nobody in Westeros has figured out the pike square despite 2000 years of almost continuous warfare.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor
Gotta love the thousands of years of mounted knight warfare technology that never seems to improve. I can understand the gunpowder thing if it's a question of available chemicals in the Hodoros crust, but why no pike squares?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I think it comes back to his total lack of a sense of scale. I read a timeline on the wiki once and the first thing that hit me was "This world's spent more time in the Iron Age than it took us to go from bronze to semi-permanent space habitats."

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

C'mon, the endless middle ages thing applies to, like, every fantasy series ever.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Wasn't middle earth like 8,000 years of farting around with swords and chivalry?

Anyone complaining about it is missing the larger point that fantasy is stupid poo poo for idiots.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

If you try to industrialize in Middle Earth, a wizard will pay a midget to steal your poo poo and throw it in a volcano.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
Middle Earth at least has active deities/"angels". What's GRRM's excuse?

His lack of sense is the lamest thing ever, cause it ruins the suspension of disbelief. Nothing survives 50 years of winter.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

I'm not going to go research it but I'm pretty sure that it isn't really possible for an inhabitable planet not to have sulfur deposits. Gunpowder isn't strictly necessary for industrialization anyway.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Isn't the general excuse monsters? Goblins, orcs or "others" serve as a catalyst for conflict that keeps society from expanding too far. Of course Westeros has been stagnant for thousands of years but they did still have dragons and magic until recently.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
War is generally a pretty fecund thing for innovation, though. Look at all the crap we got from WWII.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Seriously though, why waste time on chemistry when you can be like "see this sword? Bam. Fire motherfucker." :smug:

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I always figured that the whole Valeryia thing was a nuclear war and the doom was radiation. All the swords from there are just CPM-S30V steel decorative swords that were bought by nerds and got left around. Dragons are mutated Chickens or something.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

From Bethesda and Obsidian, Fallout: Valyria.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
i'll eat the berries
you put the flame to the lamb
that you caught today

staring at the fire
for hours and hours
while i listen to my
stomach play songs
all night long for me
only for me

here it comes now
the berries have done their work
everything is poo poo
such a liquid poo poo
the grass is stained brown and red
by the exploding diarrhea and congealed
menstrual blood for you
only for you

our cave is a very, very, very fine cave
with two fish in the stream
life sucked in mereen
now every passing's easy
'cause of you
and our la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la...

our cave is a very, very, very fine cave
with two fish in the stream
life sucked in mereen
now every passing's easy
'cause of you
and our la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la...

i'll eat the berries
you put the flame to the lamb
that you caught today

e:
slave market volantis
slave market volantis
slave market volantis
slave market volantis

it's just like
it's just like
a mini-mall

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 1, 2012

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

From Bethesda and Obsidian, Fallout: Valyria.

Exactly, and Dany is making GBS threads her insides out because she's got late stage radiation poisoning from sleeping a whole night next to eggs from Valyranobyl.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

And her late husband, Khal Droghoul, is off in the wastes somewhere, hissing and raping.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
No lie, I'd totally play STALKER: Valeria.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

And her late husband, Khal Droghoul, is off in the wastes somewhere, hissing and raping.

You'll be honored to know that, in honor of Canada Day, I'm watching Ren & Stimpy "The Royal Canadian Kilted Yaksmen" on Netflix.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you really wanted to honour my land, TDCAGH, you'd spell the word the way Her Majesty intended. :canada:

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Omnicarus posted:

I always figured that the whole Valeryia thing was a nuclear war and the doom was radiation. All the swords from there are just CPM-S30V steel decorative swords that were bought by nerds and got left around. Dragons are mutated Chickens or something.
That's a nice sentiment and all, but I think I still prefer the interpretation that some goon elaborated in one of the earlier incarnations of this thread in a number of fanfictions where Valyria and all the stuff about the return of magic were really caused by a Chaos infestation on a feral world in the Warhammer 40K universe.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Valyria was some Pompeii type poo poo. On the other hand, Westeros is clearly a planet in a solar system with like 17 stars or something and it's super-complicated orbit causes varying seasonal lengths as it gets handed off from star to star.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

On the other hand, Westeros is clearly a planet in a solar system with like 17 stars or something and it's super-complicated orbit causes varying seasonal lengths as it gets handed off from star to star.

Not this again. It's simply magic or "because gently caress you, that's why".

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Valyria was some Pompeii type poo poo. On the other hand, Westeros is clearly a planet in a solar system with like 17 stars or something and it's super-complicated orbit causes varying seasonal lengths as it gets handed off from star to star.

It's magic. That's the only reason and frankly I don't need Martin to confirm that.

The bit about no sulfur or whatever us actually kund if dumb given that historical and cultural forces combined with real magic offer a perfectly fine explanation for the stagnation.

You can tell which parts of his creation Martin puts any thought into at all.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I read a series (and posted a thread about the author) where technology simply cannot work in one universe because the laws of physics forbid it, and it's kept the entire world in medieval levels for millenia.

That's a decent enough explanation, but it only really works in that milieu, I figure.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
"A wizard did it" it's always the best explanation for these kind of things.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

I read a series (and posted a thread about the author) where technology simply cannot work in one universe because the laws of physics forbid it, and it's kept the entire world in medieval levels for millenia.

That's a decent enough explanation, but it only really works in that milieu, I figure.

The laws of physics are really clearly very different in ASOIAF universe even if it is by mistake. poo poo like dudes firing arrows 700 feet straight into the air with killing force and ravens flying at like the speed of sound or whatever.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Obviously the gravity is very low compared to Earth, hence the height of structures, Bran surviving his fall, dragons being able to fly with solid iron bones, people like Manderly and Illyrio not having heart attacks, etc.

Clearly if you dropped a typical Earthican on Westeros, their strength and density from living on a high gravity world would allow them to decimate entire armies and wear a miniature castle for armor.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Thats also why a dwarf can wear full plate armor and hack armored limbs apart like its nothing and also have a loving horse land on his head and be ok.

^Clearly the Cleganes are descended from a cross-reality traveler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

The real question is, does Westeros have a yellow sun?

I think I know what that comet is.