Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Troy Baker's been getting a lot of work recently too, but that's just because he's so loving good at his job. He seems to knock every role he gets consistently out of the park. He was Literally Amazing as Valvatorez in Disgaea 4, he helped give ToV's English version soul, and everyone remembers Kanji.

It helps that he also seems to get consistently good scripts (or, at least, he's perhaps a bit choosier about the roles and projects he takes), but he's a definite case of "gets a lot of work because jesus loving christ".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Streaming some Unchained Blades again.
http://twitch.tv/gyoruspy

edit: Down for now. Chapter 3 is the worst.

Gyoru fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jun 28, 2012

Teslavi
May 28, 2006
Ridiculous.
Ugh, I got past chapter 3 in Unchained Blades but apparently I made it like 20 times harder on myself than I needed to. Here's a little random advice to hopefully make it a bit more pleasant for anyone else carving through it.

Quests:
The two taverns seem to have different quests available. In chapter 3, there should be two quests available at the second tavern.

The first involves scouting 2F for 1x bitter tonic and 3x medicine pills.
The second quest involves trading 2 iron ores for an Akujiki, a decently strong katana capable of twoshotting pretty much every monster in chapter 3.

I personally crafted an Akujiki without realizing this quest existed. I would strongly advise against crafting one, because fighting groups of 5x lizardmen with a 10 atk katana is very unhealthy.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
What is the "PP" stat on followers in Unchained Blades?

[e]I guess if it's maxed out (from leveling presumably?), when you leave the follower behind it leaves behind an anima item that you can move their anima(s?) to other followers. Then agian maybe that's because they were max level when I ask them to leave, beats me.

[e2]Jesus that is a first boss. This game puts EO to shame and it's fabulous~

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jun 29, 2012

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Rascyc posted:

What is the "PP" stat on followers in Unchained Blades?

[e]I guess if it's maxed out (from leveling presumably?), when you leave the follower behind it leaves behind an anima item that you can move their anima(s?) to other followers. Then agian maybe that's because they were max level when I ask them to leave, beats me.

[e2]Jesus that is a first boss. This game puts EO to shame and it's fabulous~

Any suggestions so far on how to build characters via SP? With Fang I've gone immediately left on his grid to the next circle and I plan to go to the North to get the party Attack Up skill. Beyond that, what should my focus be? Right now I'm making it Swords but are Spears and Claws any good? I can't find a ton of info and I don't want to be really gimped later on.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I am not as far as everyone else so I can't give specific build advice. I think the only way you could be gimped is if you split off your main build too much and if you focus too much on grabbing the first level of various abilities. Max level is apparently 49 or 99 depending on who you believe. I am shooting for having a third of the grid covered for each character at least. Each character usually has two or three builds that I've seen, although I have not seen the other half of the cast yet (I'd be surprised if it differed though).

So basically if you're already deep enough for Dragon Cry, then you should stick with swords.

For Fang, swords are basically offense, spears are tank, and claws are offense/debuff. That Dragon Cry attack buff is a top tier buff (I think there's 3 tiers) and is really strong. But there seems to be some really odd scaling with the way abilities work - I am not sure if they are all considered magic attacks or just have lower base damage since it allows followers to do attacks (which always seem to be pitiful damage for me so far). Basically when I used Dragon Cry, I was always better off just having Fang attack instead of using his abilities. Hopefully this changes once I get more abilities to test with.

Another thing I noticed is that magic scaling feels pretty awful. I branched Lapis out for the first AoE heal and I regret it completely - it is simply awful in comparison to the second AoE heal (22 mp for 60 heal, 38 mp for a 250-300 heal).

Buffs/debuffs seem very strong. I can't quite tell if there's 3 or 2 tiers of them but the descriptions seem to indicate this is the case (slightly vs strong vs greatly). Anyway the big point is that they seem to last the entire battle (I stopped testing at 20 turns) but cannot stack with each other. So if you Dragon Cry and then cast a weaker Harp buff, then Harp Buff seems to overwrite and you lose out on Dragon Cry. Again like nukes, the first tiers of stuff seem really garbage on the other hand.

I really regret building my characters initially to grab some of the first tier of abilities (I dipped into Fang's spear tree to grab that power charge ability and it's pretty ho hum, it seems to be a factor of 2.2 or so and there's an improved version of it way deeper in the sword tree anyway) and am probably going to restart as a result.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jun 29, 2012

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Rascyc posted:

I am not as far as everyone else so I can't give specific build advice. I think the only way you could be gimped is if you split off your main build too much and if you focus too much on grabbing the first level of various abilities. Max level is apparently 49 or 99 depending on who you believe. I am shooting for having a third of the grid covered for each character at least. Each character usually has two or three builds that I've seen, although I have not seen the other half of the cast yet (I'd be surprised if it differed though).

So basically if you're already deep enough for Dragon Cry, then you should stick with swords.

For Fang, swords are basically offense, spears are tank, and claws are offense/debuff. That Dragon Cry attack buff is a top tier buff (I think there's 3 tiers) and is really strong. But there seems to be some really odd scaling with the way abilities work - I am not sure if they are all considered magic attacks or just have lower base damage since it allows followers to do attacks (which always seem to be pitiful damage for me so far). Basically when I used Dragon Cry, I was always better off just having Fang attack instead of using his abilities. Hopefully this changes once I get more abilities to test with.

Another thing I noticed is that magic scaling feels pretty awful. I branched Lapis out for the first AoE heal and I regret it completely - it is simply awful in comparison to the second AoE heal (22 mp for 60 heal, 38 mp for a 250-300 heal).

Buffs/debuffs seem very strong. I can't quite tell if there's 3 or 2 tiers of them but the descriptions seem to indicate this is the case (slightly vs strong vs greatly). Anyway the big point is that they seem to last the entire battle (I stopped testing at 20 turns) but cannot stack with each other. So if you Dragon Cry and then cast a weaker Harp buff, then Harp Buff seems to overwrite and you lose out on Dragon Cry. Again like nukes, the first tiers of stuff seem really garbage on the other hand.

I really regret building my characters initially to grab some of the first tier of abilities (I dipped into Fang's spear tree to grab that power charge ability and it's pretty ho hum, it seems to be a factor of 2.2 or so and there's an improved version of it way deeper in the sword tree anyway) and am probably going to restart as a result.

Yeah, I'm super concerned about having to restart since the pace of the game is slower like most dungeon crawlers. I'm also skeptical about the level cap people are touting especially considering the monsters in the second prologue were Lv 50. People seem to be going off a Google Translation of the Japanese Wiki. I think maybe it was talking about how many points could be stored at one time? I dunno.

I think I'm going to keep trucking and just make the best of it. I imagine any build can beat the game with varying difficulty and I'll just grind to make up the gap.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

What's the difficulty like in Unchained Blades? I'm going to be out of town for a week and it'd be nice to have a tough dungeon crawler to play during my down time. There's also this quote here that has me hesitating.

Someone who worked on the game posted:

I started yelling at the screen because my favorite character, who is a Golem, started crushing on a loli Mandrake

Just how cringeworthy does this game get?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

U-DO Burger posted:

What's the difficulty like in Unchained Blades? I'm going to be out of town for a week and it'd be nice to have a tough dungeon crawler to play during my down time. There's also this quote here that has me hesitating.

Just how cringeworthy does this game get?

So far it all seems played for laughs rather than played straight. I'd say it's about Persona level so if you can handle that, this isn't much worse.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The difficulty is kind of hard to put a finger on. Experience is extremely scaled to whatever you are killing, so every new dungeon and every couple of floors starts out incredibly ridiculous but then scales very quickly into manageable and turns into the usual "dungeon grinding you down over time" theme.

The bosses themselves are kind of crazy though. The first real boss of the game is a 3-phase boss and one of those phases involves 7 attacks per round until you get it under control I like my games to be challenging and Unchained Blades meets my criteria for the most part so far.

As for the creep factor, it's pretty minimal so far. The plant girl is entirely inoffensive. The medusa girl is the obvious fan service target in the game but they've only used her split-second second boob bounce picture once in maybe the 15 hours I have played. Otherwise she's just there saying typical things. Story occurrence is still pretty sparse when contrasted with the game play too and everything in gameplay is shoulder shots so it works out.

The dialog is entirely innocent. Fang is basically Gig from Soul Nomad and is a big ole' jerk and everyone else is pretty generic-fare stuff saying generic things.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Ok, this was posted on GameFAQs today:

quote:

hello guys,

seeing as many people here seek information about the game and many giving out false information too, I decided to share some info about it.

I played the Japanese version when it came out last year, see the post:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/622417-unchained-blades/59745804

- max character level is 99

- max monster capacity at the end is 99 (with the 4 dragons not included)

- SP can be gotten by level ups, conversations and later items, so its possible to grind the grid to full (max SP you can save up is 255)

- every stat can be maxed with items dropped in the bonus dungeon, so its possible to grind all stats to max (through you will most likely get only 10-15 stat items per run from 1-100 floor)

- even monster stats (str, def, mag, lvl and HP) can be maxed with items

- monster only level as long as they have "PP" but there is an item with can be synthesized that gives a monster more PP later, so they can level all the way to level 99

- in the bonus dungeon at the end, you can capture all monsters from the game but lvl 50+ and with better stats

hope that clears up some facts about the game and help lessen the confusion here,
have fun

So I think that clears up the build shenanigans. Sounds like exactly the kind of game that would give you a 100 floor dungeon to explore! Definitely plenty of stuff to do. :v:

Levantine fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 29, 2012

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Levantine posted:

So far it all seems played for laughs rather than played straight. I'd say it's about Persona level so if you can handle that, this isn't much worse.

That's a relief. I guess I just assumed the worst when that XSEED employee unironically used the term "loli" to describe a character.

Rascyc posted:

The difficulty is kind of hard to put a finger on. Experience is extremely scaled to whatever you are killing, so every new dungeon and every couple of floors starts out incredibly ridiculous but then scales very quickly into manageable and turns into the usual "dungeon grinding you down over time" theme.

The bosses themselves are kind of crazy though. The first real boss of the game is a 3-phase boss and one of those phases involves 7 attacks per round until you get it under control I like my games to be challenging and Unchained Blades meets my criteria for the most part so far.

Awesome. Sparse story, scaling experience, dungeons that wear you down, and bullshit bosses all sound fantastic. I'll probably pick this one up then. Thanks guys!

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

U-DO Burger posted:

That's a relief. I guess I just assumed the worst when that XSEED employee unironically used the term "loli" to describe a character.

Awesome. Sparse story, scaling experience, dungeons that wear you down, and bullshit bosses all sound fantastic. I'll probably pick this one up then. Thanks guys!

It really is quite good, you wont regret it. It also has a really high level of polish to it - lots of voice acting and well thought out mechanics. It makes me wish we could get a console version of a game like this but it's still money well spent even with the 30.00 price tag.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

So you know how the DS version of Ni No Kuni in Japan came with a spell book? The PS3 version coming here is getting it too!

You just need to send $100 directly to Namco Bandai. :negative:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

So I'm playing Cladun X2 and there are a million subsystems and it's complicated as poo poo and I'm loving it. I should really play more NIS games than disgaea.

It's also really funny without trying too hard.

Anyway I started as Warrior and made a wizard and ranger, is there anything I should know early on like not using some jobs? I'm figuring out sub-characters as I go and just equip them with whatever junk I find lying around for now.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Anyway I started as Warrior and made a wizard and ranger, is there anything I should know early on like not using some jobs? I'm figuring out sub-characters as I go and just equip them with whatever junk I find lying around for now.

Classes: Merchants get the best magic circles for raising the poo poo out of other characters. Staff-based characters are a lot more heavily equipment based than the other classes due to how normal staff attacks function.

Ran-Geon: When in doubt, just take the loving exit gate.

Fame: Get as much as you can as soon as you can to unlock the ability to apply equipment edits for free instead of farming the titles for them.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

So I'm playing Cladun X2 and there are a million subsystems and it's complicated as poo poo and I'm loving it. I should really play more NIS games than disgaea.

Definitely keep ZHP in mind for when you're finished with Cladun.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Wendell posted:

I found ZHP significantly simpler than any other NIS strategy game - it's a fairly light rogue-like and you can brute-force enough in the way of stats to just waltz through the game without a care very easily - but the plot will leave you fistpumping the air, immensely satisfied.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Emalde posted:

Classes: Merchants get the best magic circles for raising the poo poo out of other characters. Staff-based characters are a lot more heavily equipment based than the other classes due to how normal staff attacks function.

Ran-Geon: When in doubt, just take the loving exit gate.

Fame: Get as much as you can as soon as you can to unlock the ability to apply equipment edits for free instead of farming the titles for them.
Ooh good to know, I completely ignored Merchants.

Sub characters actually level better than the main right? So when I'm running through the game I should be using my weaker guys to level my stronger ones? I'm not quite sure of this part yet.

Is there any way to get fame other than speed running?

Wendell posted:

Oh yeah I've played it back on the PSP. It seemed really similar to Disgaea in a lot of aspects, Cladun is totally fresh but both are pretty great.

I had a $50 card for Vita games and I've been blowing it all on PSP stuff instead, a lot of quality stuff for good prices.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Chapter 3 of Unchained Blades is definitely some of the worst dungeon crawling experience ever, goddamn.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Rascyc posted:

Chapter 3 of Unchained Blades is definitely some of the worst dungeon crawling experience ever, goddamn.

Gyoru posted:

edit: Down for now. Chapter 3 is the worst.

Whatever compelled the developers to just throw in a one-member party chapter with hard-hitting enemies and environmental hazards that you get through solely by grinding, I'll never know.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I guess they compensate by making it as short as possible. It's fast but not what I would classify as fun.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I feel like I'm doing something wrong with followers in Unchained Blades because I always lose those big Judgement Battles (or whatever they're called.) I'm stuck in the first titan, unable to advance until I win one. Do I just grind until I have enough followers to brute force it?

e: Also, my followers never do anymore then like 5 damage. They make good meatshields though.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 1, 2012

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Once you get past Chapter 3, everything is right in the world again. You have a full party the parties merge and finally unlock item storage. Chapter 4's dungeon was huge compared to the dungeons you've visited so far.

Cake Attack posted:

I feel like I'm doing something wrong with followers in Unchained Blades because I always lose those big Judgement Battles (or whatever they're called.) I'm stuck in the first titan, unable to advance until I win one. Do I just grind until I have enough followers to brute force it?

e: Also, my followers never do anymore then like 5 damage. They make good meatshields though.

It's all about how many followers you have. Get at least half the number followers compared to the opposing team and you should be able to win. Using Brave Jewels will help too.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Gyoru posted:

Once you get past Chapter 3, everything is right in the world again. You have a full party the parties merge and finally unlock item storage. Chapter 4's dungeon was huge compared to the dungeons you've visited so far.

It's all about how many followers you have. Get at least half the number followers compared to the opposing team and you should be able to win. Using Brave Jewels will help too.

I had around 17 to their 26 and I still lost. I have 24 now so I should be good.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
After the first few, I almost never won those battles unless I was at 1:1 odds with them. I still haven't done the bonus fights you unlock in the temple because I have no brave jewels and I don't want to let go of some of my lower followers (because of their animas) just to put in higher level ones to fill the ranks.

I figured I'd just go back and clean them up once I clear chapter 3.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I keep hearin' you guys talking about this Unchained Blades poo poo so I looked it up. Grandia scenario writer? Uematsu? Ooooooh baby, can't wait til they put this poo poo out on the 3DS.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I think Uetmatsu only wrote the opening piece, but the music's pretty strong though. There's really not much to say about the story either. I just assume everyone who's playing this game is playing it for the dungeon crawler gameplay which just happens to have a lot of polish.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Sub characters actually level better than the main right? So when I'm running through the game I should be using my weaker guys to level my stronger ones? I'm not quite sure of this part yet.

Is there any way to get fame other than speed running?

Sub characters get stats, Main characters get HP/SP/Mana.

And no, you can only get fame from speedrunning levels. Well, you can "buy" fame, but it's not legit and the game punishes you for it so there's no reason to.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

iastudent posted:

Picked up an extra PSN wallet card for Unchained Blades. Now someone over at Sony or XSEED hurry up and tell me if I'm gonna be able to play this on Vita or not. :argh:

I'm only a little ways in (past the first boss), but whether or not you'd find Pier Solar to your liking is very contingent on how nostalgic you are for 16-bit RPGs.

Also:

Can you play this on an emulator? I don't have a genesis anymore.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Can you play this on an emulator? I don't have a genesis anymore.

Not until someone rips it straight from the cart, isn't that the project where they said "NO WE DON'T WANT TO MAKE A DIGITAL EMULATOR RELEASE"

Which is really quite petulant of them, I mean come the gently caress on guys cash that fuckin' reality check you're making a game for a system that's been entirely defunct for nearly twenty years now, but w/e.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Oct 1, 2014

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Jesto posted:

Pier Solar is pretty much the only case where I completely support someone just making a rom of the game and putting it online so they're forced to abandon the "What, you want to play this game? Hope you still have your Sega Genesis. :smug:" bullshit and have to sell it through Steam or some other venue.

I'm not sure why they don't, really. There's a ton of old Sega Genesis games up on Steam right now.

I think there might be a couple problems blocking that, the least of which being the idiot designers. For one, I don't think Steam is running a Genesis emu but someone actually outright converted the Sega games into like C# or something. For another, there might be some licensing issue since they actually released it for the Genesis, Sega might be breathing down their necks if they try to get it on Steam.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Jesto posted:

Pier Solar is pretty much the only case where I completely support someone just making a rom of the game and putting it online so they're forced to abandon the "What, you want to play this game? Hope you still have your Sega Genesis. :smug:" bullshit and have to sell it through Steam or some other venue.

I'm not sure why they don't, really. There's a ton of old Sega Genesis games up on Steam right now.
Hell, I still have a Genesis and I'm not really interested in trying to play this game on it. If I could get it in an emulator, maybe. I'd even pay for it.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

The White Dragon posted:

I think there might be a couple problems blocking that, the least of which being the idiot designers. For one, I don't think Steam is running a Genesis emu but someone actually outright converted the Sega games into like C# or something.

I'd be really surprised if this were the case. Sega has a very positive relationship with the emulation community and has licenced code from emulator developers to use for past retro-game releases, so I don't see why they'd suddenly stop doing that.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
The Pier Solar cartridge is different from a standard Genesis cartridge, so none of the emulators would support the ROM even if it was dumped. It wouldn't be that difficult to add support, but emulator developers don't want to screw over an indie studio.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Thuryl posted:

I'd be really surprised if this were the case. Sega has a very positive relationship with the emulation community and has licenced code from emulator developers to use for past retro-game releases, so I don't see why they'd suddenly stop doing that.

They're absolutely running on an emulator. Sonic CD is the only full conversion.

I also wish those assholes at Super Fighter Team would release digital versions of their games. Don't they see that the enthusiasts who want to buy old Genesis carts will still buy the physical release, and making the game available to everyone else can only increase their sales?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I'm still in Chapter 1 of Unchained Blades trying to deal with the Titan and holy poo poo does upgrading armor make a difference. I managed to get around the area you fight lizards and Red Ogres with the starter armor (mixed with some wooden) before I had amassed a decent amount of money but no real materials to craft. Bought the top tier armor for the ladies in the shop and now they take no damage whatsoever. That got me to the point where I could get some Iron Ore and some Iron Plates and make the top sword for Fang and some studded armor for the guys. Now I'm rocking it.

Definitely a grind-heavy game but really rewarding when you tick over that point. It seems like the whole game is grind > find shortcut > upgrade gear > repeat. Exactly what I was looking for.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Does anyone know where the horde of slimes quest takes place in Tortuga? It's a quest you get in chapter 3.

Ah figured it out: 3rd floor, northern most room

Now if only I could get this dumb vampire to spawn.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Wendell posted:

They're absolutely running on an emulator. Sonic CD is the only full conversion.

Huh, cool thing to know. I never woulda guessed. I don't suppose they support online multiplayer?

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jul 1, 2012