Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tavistock
Oct 30, 2010

I'm really just looking around and have basically no clue about bikes but would this be good for a beginner/is it a good price? How much would the repairs cost and could a guy with a garage preform them?

http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/mcy/3102289429.html

also that BMW badge :wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Tavistock posted:

I'm really just looking around and have basically no clue about bikes but would this be good for a beginner/is it a good price? How much would the repairs cost and could a guy with a garage preform them?

http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/mcy/3102289429.html

also that BMW badge :wtc:

Check that it charges, if it does, then offer 500. You can do the carb/petcock rebuild yourself, probably about $50-100 for the parts. Fresh front tire will be about $100 + mount and balance. MC replacement will probably be about 50 bucks to rebuild or replace with a newer one on ebay.

Xovaan posted:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/mcy/3107039336.html

Guy is interested in trading his GR650 (above) for my friend's Datsun 280zx (he's only looking for a grand for it). The guy is willing to throw $200 on top for the trade if he likes the Datsun. Think it's a decent deal? Not too many options for bikes under a grand in SoCal (or people willing to trade for his beater, for that matter)

Too much as listed, but could be a deal on the swap. I'd want the 200 bucks on top. Don't know anything abotu those bikes though.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

It's an homage, you philistine! <:(>

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Gallatin: I live in Dubuque (and happen to be an MSF instructor). If you want to take some short rides to get your feet wet and don't mind riding my spare Bandit 600 (actually a decent beginner bike), send me an email, skreemer<at>gmail.com

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Saga posted:

It's an homage, you philistine! <:(>

An homage to the bikes that have horizontally opposed cylinders on a bike that has a transverse mounted V. A better homage would be an MG logo.

E: Not MG like Morris Garages, MG like Moto Guzzi

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Tell me about V-Strom 1000s. Is there a good year for them? Any maintenance items to watch?

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Should I take the motorcycle training course instead of having a friend teach me? I thought I'd save the money for a bike but now I'm reconsidering. I'm a beginner and know nothing about bikes and have never driven a manual before.

edit: Also I'm 6'6 and was curious if that mattered at all and if is does what would be a good starter bike?

Schroeder91 fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jul 1, 2012

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Yes, take the training course, rather than ingraining both your new rider bad habits, plus the ones he teaches you.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Also waives the DMV riding test.

edit: And most (all?) insurance companies give you a discount.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Ah, cool. I'll take the class then. My friend said that when he took it, it was only valid for 6 months though and than he had to go to the DMV anyways. Is that how it is everywhere? He lives in Alaska so maybe it's different there. (I'm in AZ)

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
From a random Arizona Motorcycle Safety Foundation's Basic Riders Course (MSF-BRC) web page:

quote:

Q. How soon can I go to the MVD and get my license?

You can take your waiver paperwork to any MVD licensing office the very next business day and turn it in for your new motorcycle license! No motorcycle written or skills test will be required at the MVD. Be sure you turn this paperwork in within six months from the date of completion, and DON’T lose it, as it can’t be replaced.

http://azmrt.com/faqs#class

I can't imagine why anyone would take the class then sit on the paperwork for more than a week.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

You underestimate laziness. I've had an M endorsement photo card for a year that I haven't used yet.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

xaarman posted:

From a random Arizona Motorcycle Safety Foundation's Basic Riders Course (MSF-BRC) web page:

http://azmrt.com/faqs#class

I can't imagine why anyone would take the class then sit on the paperwork for more than a week.

I guess it's different up there or I misunderstood him. I was looking at another place for this and didn't notice that on their site, so thanks. This place you linked has a discount for the weekend I wanted too, so double thanks!

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Schroeder91 posted:

Should I take the motorcycle training course instead of having a friend teach me? I thought I'd save the money for a bike but now I'm reconsidering. I'm a beginner and know nothing about bikes and have never driven a manual before.

Definitely take it, for what Z3n said -

Z3n posted:

Yes, take the training course, rather than ingraining both your new rider bad habits, plus the ones he teaches you.

And also, optimistically, even if your friend knows what they taught at MSF perfectly and ingrained it into his own riding, his ability to teach it and to identify your weak points will be very limited compared to what a good MSF instructor can do. Take it. It's so worth it.

Mister Duck
Oct 10, 2006
Fuck the goose
So I have started consolidating down to a single bike (Probably + a track bike at some point) and I have been thinking that it might be time to get the bike I've really wanted, the street triple.

What I can't figure out is if the R is worth the cash over the regular one. I won't be tracking it (well maybe once or twice prior to getting a dedicated track bike). And while I like to ride spirited (for me) on the street I am certainly not getting a knee down or anything like that.

The concern I have is that I am a fairly heavier guy (270-280) and while I am trying to cut the weight, that just isn't happening right now. I've been reading that the adjustable suspension on the R is needed for fat asses, but I wanted to see what people here thought. Is it really worth the extra premium or will I not notice the suspension difference just due to weight?

For reference I have an ER6N right now so it's not like I am riding around on amazing shocks or anything.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

You'll be better off buying the normal model and spending the extra cash having the suspension resprung and revalved for your weight. The R model wont handle that much weight, the spring rates are still going to be seriously off.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
On the subject of the street triple - just how unreliable are they when compared to the Japanese bikes?

wilkenm
Jan 6, 2005

Z3n posted:

You'll be better off buying the normal model and spending the extra cash having the suspension resprung and revalved for your weight. The R model wont handle that much weight, the spring rates are still going to be seriously off.

The rear spring is actually about right for his weight (which is about my weight). For some reason, the street triple has fork springs for a 150lb rider, and a rear spring for fatasses like me. With the R, I've been able to get the suspension dialed in well enough that I don't think about it anymore. It's not perfect, but is worlds better than the non-R.

With that said, it's probably cheaper to buy the regular, and get new springs. But do some research first, Racetech's calculator (a lot a smaller shops rely on it) was seriously wrong for this bike last time I checked into getting the correct spring rates. They were working on correcting it, but that was a year or 2 ago.

wilkenm
Jan 6, 2005

Hog Obituary posted:

On the subject of the street triple - just how unreliable are they when compared to the Japanese bikes?

Early models had an issue with their voltage regulator dying, but that's a problem on some Japanese bikes too. The camchaintensioner is also really noisy on cold mornings, but Troumph insists its normal. Other than those, I'm not aware of any common issues, and I haven't had a problem in 5k miles on mine.

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

The Sausage King of Chicago
I'm taking a safety course in a couple weeks. I'm pretty much set on getting a Ninja 250R, as I think it will fit my needs pretty well. I plan on mostly riding fairly close to home on surface streets. I never plan on riding on the interstate, as Michigan freeways are lovely and the drivers are even shittier. I don't want anything bigger, as I'd like to avoid killing myself if at all possible.

That being said, I've been poking around on craigslist to get a feel of what is out there. I'd be interested if anyone has any opinions on the listings below, as in whether, based upon what is listed, it seems like a good enough deal to follow up on. I certainly plan on asking more questions and getting more info than what is listed, but I'd like to get some first impression. If any of them are too good to pass up, I'd consider getting it now. But currently, the plan is to pick something up after I get my endorsement.

Also, if there are any Michigoons interested in helping out a newbie, I sure as hell do not want to ride anything home after I buy it. So, when the time comes, if someone has a trailer or would ride it home, I'll buy the steaks, beer, gas, etc.

http://toledo.craigslist.org/mcy/3089529869.html

http://toledo.craigslist.org/mcy/3075914610.html

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/mcy/3084120608.html

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/mcy/3102266214.html

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/mcy/3074281378.html

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/mcy/3105831685.html

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Abe Froman posted:

I'm taking a safety course in a couple weeks. I'm pretty much set on getting a Ninja 250R, as I think it will fit my needs pretty well. I plan on mostly riding fairly close to home on surface streets. I never plan on riding on the interstate, as Michigan freeways are lovely and the drivers are even shittier. I don't want anything bigger, as I'd like to avoid killing myself if at all possible.

That being said, I've been poking around on craigslist to get a feel of what is out there. I'd be interested if anyone has any opinions on the listings below, as in whether, based upon what is listed, it seems like a good enough deal to follow up on. I certainly plan on asking more questions and getting more info than what is listed, but I'd like to get some first impression. If any of them are too good to pass up, I'd consider getting it now. But currently, the plan is to pick something up after I get my endorsement.

Also, if there are any Michigoons interested in helping out a newbie, I sure as hell do not want to ride anything home after I buy it. So, when the time comes, if someone has a trailer or would ride it home, I'll buy the steaks, beer, gas, etc.

http://toledo.craigslist.org/mcy/3089529869.html

http://toledo.craigslist.org/mcy/3075914610.html

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/mcy/3084120608.html

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/mcy/3102266214.html

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/mcy/3074281378.html

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/mcy/3105831685.html
Let me just say that Michigan freeways are much safer than the surface streets. No intersections, no random left turners, and gentle curves. If you are riding to get somewhere then you will learn to love the freeways. Of course get your confidence up before you venture onto 696. The interstate eats up anyone going less than 80 mph.

As far as Michigoons go you have myself and Marv in the Royal Oak/Troy area. Doc Zero might still have his trailer but I imagine you want to get a running bike.

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

Thanks for the response. I'll probably change my mind about freeways eventually, but right now it seems like a scary proposition.

I do intend to get a fully running bike, but I don't want to have to ride it home, especially if its on the other side of town (I'm in Harper Woods on the east side).

Mister Duck
Oct 10, 2006
Fuck the goose
Thanks for the advice guys. I guess I will stick with the regular then and try to upgrade the suspension when I can. That's all well and good, I like the blue and they don't have Rs in that.

But I will definitely check into the springs and see what I can grab before I take the plunge. Have to get rid of my old GS first anyway.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Abe Froman posted:

Thanks for the response. I'll probably change my mind about freeways eventually, but right now it seems like a scary proposition.
Seconding the freeways. They are pretty much the safest of roads. The most dangerous thing to you as a biker (aside from your own mistakes) is cross-traffic and stops. There are virtually none of those on freeways. Once you get over the fear of speed, it's the way to go.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I've been riding a 125 for about a year and a half now, I think it's time I took my full test and bought a bigger bike. I'm thinking about getting the Bonneville T100. It's the bike that got me into bikes and I love its looks. What I'm asking is, do you guys think this is generally a good suitable First Big Bike? I'm not that bothered about going fast, I'll save the sports bike till I've got more than a few years under my belt. I'd just like to be able to overtake cars on the road without the wind embarrassingly pushing me backwards.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Yeah, you'll be fine. Enjoy it, just be careful, accidents are more common on bikes the rider is new to. :)

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Frankston posted:

I've been riding a 125 for about a year and a half now, I think it's time I took my full test and bought a bigger bike. I'm thinking about getting the Bonneville T100. It's the bike that got me into bikes and I love its looks. What I'm asking is, do you guys think this is generally a good suitable First Big Bike? I'm not that bothered about going fast, I'll save the sports bike till I've got more than a few years under my belt. I'd just like to be able to overtake cars on the road without the wind embarrassingly pushing me backwards.

Like Z3N says, a good choice as far as the riding goes. It's very easy to ride, and although it's a heavy old lump (by the standards of non-cruisers), it handles well for a "retro" bike, is quite fuel efficient, and the low seat helps dealing with the weight. Also pretty much indestructible. Despite not being expensive, they hold their value fairly well due to being popular and rarely updated.

I would look at a Bonneville, Bonnie SE or Thruxton however, for a saner tyre choice. The T100 has a 19" front which limits you. Also, the wire wheels are silly in 2012 unless you're planning to do motocross jumps on it - more unsprung weight and an absolute bastard to clean.

One word of caution, however: Bonnie buyers in the UK (not a reference to our Bonnie owners in CA!) are almost as obsessed with cosmetic perfection as cruiser buyers. If you commute on it or actually just ride the fecking thing because you enjoy riding your bike (shock, horror...), prepare for your resale value to tank. My brother in law did about 7k a year on his 2010 bike commuting, and the dealer didn't want it in trade for his new Tiger because they thought it would be a tough sell.

So if you're going to ride it, look for one that's been mechanically looked after but already ridden in the rain, snow and has done a higher mileage, and pay accordingly. Also, ideally, a bike with little or no chrome (because it will pit and tarnish in our weather unless you only ride in perfect weather in August). That way you won't get shafted if and when you sell it to buy that Daytona 675.

Also, hot tip if you hate your neighbours - pick up the official Arrow 3-1 full system and remove the baffle. It sounds amazing.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Frankston posted:

Get yourself a carbureted 01-06 J-coded Hinckley made in England. Compare them to the 07+ and draw your own conclusions.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Really liking all the Triumph love in this thread. I got the Street Triple R and it's a fantastic bike, very whippy, sounds great stock, handles almost as good as my ninja 250 in tight spaces and always turns heads. The suspension is very tight but I haven't gotten around to adjusting it yet. I would suggest if the suspension is an issue and you're planning on big body weight changes to get the R version because it is so easy to adjust, otherwise, like you said, just get it in the color you want.

Only complaint I have about the street was the seat took some getting used to, the contour of it really pushes you into the tank. An aftermarket seat or at the least some knee tank pads will help.

Covert Ops Wizard fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 2, 2012

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Abe Froman posted:

I do intend to get a fully running bike, but I don't want to have to ride it home, especially if its on the other side of town (I'm in Harper Woods on the east side).

Having someone assist you is a great idea. Don't let others talk you out of it. A new rider on an unfamiliar bike can be pretty scary. If you can't get anyone to help you, rent a UHAUL. They're very cheap if you're not going too far and you can have the seller help you load it in (they have a great ramp in them) Just make sure that you have tie down straps. I transported 4 bikes like this when I moved because I was too lazy to make however many round trips to get them all from my previous house to my current one.

Bloody Queef fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jul 3, 2012

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Abe Froman posted:

I'll probably change my mind about freeways eventually, but right now it seems like a scary proposition.

Michigan freeways, like the roads in general, are seven degrees of rear end. Ride 1-2 states in any direction and you'll think you've entered a different country. They're marginally acceptable for commuting, although I75 has become a system of near constant speed bumps, with seams that are downright unholy. It's like the whole thing's a massive no-show conspiracy to shrink the lifespan of the average car, for reasons that should be obvious.

You're absolutely right to take it slow. Some of the folks advising differently are applying their home turf conditions to your question.

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

BQ, thanks for bringing up the U-Haul. That's a great idea. Thanks for the advice.

Marv, I know what you mean. 75 is rough enough in a car - I can only imagine how bad it is on a bike. You can close your eyes and know the instant you cross into Ohio. Thanks for the encouragement.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Marv Hushman posted:

Michigan freeways, like the roads in general, are seven degrees of rear end. Ride 1-2 states in any direction and you'll think you've entered a different country. They're marginally acceptable for commuting, although I75 has become a system of near constant speed bumps, with seams that are downright unholy. It's like the whole thing's a massive no-show conspiracy to shrink the lifespan of the average car, for reasons that should be obvious.

You're absolutely right to take it slow. Some of the folks advising differently are applying their home turf conditions to your question.

I wasn't implying that new riders should go flying down the expressway at 80 mph, but people should not consider them death traps. I ride the same Michigan highways as Marv and yes there are butt leaving the seat bumps but I still would take those over Big Beaver in bumper to bumper traffic where people jump out of Burger King without even looking.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Crayvex posted:

I wasn't implying that new riders should go flying down the expressway at 80 mph, but people should not consider them death traps. I ride the same Michigan highways as Marv and yes there are butt leaving the seat bumps but I still would take those over Big Beaver in bumper to bumper traffic where people jump out of Burger King without even looking.

I'm talking condition, you're talking congestion--it goes without saying that a highway has less stop and go. It is possible for highway riding to be enjoyable, but the likelihood of this happening increases dramatically once you cross the state line. I'd love to GoPro a choice stretch so those in the western states could fully grasp this. Hey, it's our claim to fame.

I also believe that highways generally suck the life out of a road trip. What would de Tocqueville have written about America if all he had access to was a series of Waffle Houses?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Marv Hushman posted:

I'm talking condition, you're talking congestion--it goes without saying that a highway has less stop and go. It is possible for highway riding to be enjoyable, but the likelihood of this happening increases dramatically once you cross the state line. I'd love to GoPro a choice stretch so those in the western states could fully grasp this. Hey, it's our claim to fame.

I also believe that highways generally suck the life out of a road trip. What would de Tocqueville have written about America if all he had access to was a series of Waffle Houses?

I'm with you, I had the same argument earlier when I said I wouldn't want to be a new rider on a Ninja 250 on the highways around here. Highways are more predictable, but some days traffic is going 80 mph on 30 year old roads with patches and potholes everywhere and the thought of coming off the bike at that speed and hoping that the chucklefucks looking at their cell phones won't hit me...well...

Thankfully the shittiest section of highway, which I was talking about before, is in the process of getting it's first fix up since it was built in the 70s. Of course that means that it's currently 10 times more terrifying, but it'll be much better in a few months.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Marv Hushman posted:

What would de Tocqueville have written about America if all he had access to was a series of Waffle Houses?

Bloodhound Gang songs, 150 years early and scored for harpsichord and dulcimer.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Last I checked all the roads suck in Michigan. Mind you we aren't going 80 MPH on Big Beaver. I don't find highway riding to suck the life put of anything. Then again, I'm on a sport bike. :hurr:

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
Quick, somebody get their bike out to Eau Claire before they patch up this sweet jump:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf0l3NO-35U&feature=youtu.be

Splizwarf posted:

Bloodhound Gang songs, 150 years early and scored for harpsichord and dulcimer.

This next selection is from Huzzah for Busts

Marv Hushman fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jul 4, 2012

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Marv Hushman posted:

America: entirely filled with mentally unstable drunks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Quasi-cross-post from the Ninja 250 thread: I found a good deal on a Ninjette in my area. The bike only has 2.2k on it, so it seems like a lot of the usual wear-and-tear stuff might be less severe, or harder to notice. What should I ask the seller about, and what should I look for when I go to take a look at it? Already asked about title, tires, and drops.