Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rahtas
Oct 22, 2010

RABBIT TROOP FOREVER!
So, I don't know how to google what I'm trying to do without getting results requiring ginger and Chinese chives (is there a difference?). I have some frozen fish I got from costco. Tilapia? I think. With some light seasoning already on them so that I don't have to exert any effort. So, to inject some effort into this, I wanted to make some sort of chicken and dumplings, but with fish instead. The only problem, is I have no idea how I would make a 'chicken & dumplings' type sauce with fish. Or even with chicken, really. Anyone have any sort of tip or neato-burrito recipe link that can learn me how to make that thick-ish kinda sauce - and to make it with / from fish?

e:
Or how would I make this sauce recipe I found thicker? More... gravy-ish, I suppose. Flour? Or I have cornstarch...

1/2 stick butter
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 pinch salt
1 pinch dried rosemary
4-6 leaves sage
1 teaspoon garlic

I don't have sage leaves, but I have a little plastic thing of 'rubbed sage'. it says on there that 1tsp = 2tsp fresh sage. But how many tsp's of fresh sage = 1 sage leaf?

Rahtas fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I have an odd question. I'm making my first batch of pierogi ever, and was wondering at what step do I freeze them. After folding them or the boiling before frying them? If it helps, this is the recipe I'm trying: http://pittsburgh.about.com/od/recipes/r/pierogies.htm

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Aerofallosov posted:

I have an odd question. I'm making my first batch of pierogi ever, and was wondering at what step do I freeze them. After folding them or the boiling before frying them? If it helps, this is the recipe I'm trying: http://pittsburgh.about.com/od/recipes/r/pierogies.htm

The way we've always done it: form them, then freeze them individually on a sheet pan (use flour or wax paper or something to make them not stick), then put them into sealable (ziploc or whatnot) bags and throw them back into the freezer. When you're ready to have some, put them into boiling water until they float/are soft, and fry them in a pan with some butter for a bit. Don't cook them between forming them and freezing them.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

LongSack posted:

Does anyone have any experience with mail-order dry aged prime beef, especially bone-in ribeyes? Can someone recommend an on-line source? There are no butcher shops near me.

Thanks in advance.

I'll go ahead and echo this question.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

"As spicy as you would eat it."

A lot of the Thai places near me use a pepper scale. It varies a little from place to place, of course, but generally "two pepper spicy" is just enough heat for the majority of people, whereas "four pepper spicy" is serious business.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Coco Ichi, a Japanese curry chain, has a spicy meter from 0 to 10. I usually get a 0, but my friend had been working his way up to 10 over the course of two years or so. After he finally did it, I asked the waitress if they had any other, spicier things, and she revealed that they could actually make it as spicy as you want regardless of the meter -- so you could ask for 20-star curry and burn your face off, if that's what you really wanted to do.

Edit: I forgot the important part, which is actually relevant to the discussion at hand.

If the restaurant in question has a spiciness meter that you're familiar with, you can always ask for more chilies/stars than there are to emphasize that you want it really, really spicy.

tarepanda fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 2, 2012

Rahtas
Oct 22, 2010

RABBIT TROOP FOREVER!
Well, I ended up using the recipe I found in a roux that I looked up how to make. I think I cooked it too long, so I added some milk and a little butter. In the end, it tasted pretty good, but it ended up a bit gritty. Anyone know how to make it smoother?

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

ChetReckless posted:

The way we've always done it: form them, then freeze them individually on a sheet pan (use flour or wax paper or something to make them not stick), then put them into sealable (ziploc or whatnot) bags and throw them back into the freezer. When you're ready to have some, put them into boiling water until they float/are soft, and fry them in a pan with some butter for a bit. Don't cook them between forming them and freezing them.

Got it, thank you! My first few to try are boiling away now. :D Though, weirdly, I got the right number of pierogi, but there was a lot of filling left... Oh well, guess that's mashed taters for lunch tomorrow.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Rahtas posted:

Well, I ended up using the recipe I found in a roux that I looked up how to make. I think I cooked it too long, so I added some milk and a little butter. In the end, it tasted pretty good, but it ended up a bit gritty. Anyone know how to make it smoother?

Cook it longer at the fat + flour only stage before adding milk.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

I'll go ahead and echo this question.

Lobel's is amazing.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

pork never goes bad posted:

Lobel's is amazing.

Awesome, thanks. It is also one of the less expensive places i will definitely give them a try..

Edit: just ordered 3 bone-in ribeyes and a couple 8 ounce burgers. Total damage with priority overnight shipping $166 (40 of that is the shipping). I can't wait to give them a try.

LongSack fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 2, 2012

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Rahtas posted:

I can't say I've ever had Béchamel (that's milk+roux) be gritty. Lumpy, sure, but I wouldn't describe it as gritty. I'd say make sure to cook it well enough, and remember that you can never stir it enough, but you can definitely stir it too little! I always add cold milk to hot roux and whisk a bunch. Right after you add the milk it looks messed up and not combined, but when you bring it back towards the boil it will thicken up properly. Keep stirring the milk/roux mixture until it thickens, too, since you could develop local pockets of thickness and thinness. You shouldn't need to add any extra butter to it, though.

How much milk did you put into it? I don't want to be presumptuous but it sounded like you were going to just use the roux for the sauce and ended up putting milk in it since you thought you burned it. Just roux by itself would probably taste weird, it's just the thickener part for the milk. Maybe try 1 cup of milk per tablespoon of flour/butter? I'm not sure on how thick that would be but it's a good start.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I don't think I've been to an ethnic food restaurant that had a chile pepper or star or number or otherwise heat rating scale that was also good. I've only ever seen that at wing joints or at hipster run Pan-Asian "Bistros" (which are more often than not awful). All the places that I would consider "good" just make it spicy unless otherwise asked for.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

GrAviTy84 posted:

I don't think I've been to an ethnic food restaurant that had a chile pepper or star or number or otherwise heat rating scale that was also good. I've only ever seen that at wing joints or at hipster run Pan-Asian "Bistros" (which are more often than not awful). All the places that I would consider "good" just make it spicy unless otherwise asked for.

That's not a universal rule by any means. All the good Thai places in Vegas I went to do it. I actually can't think of any Thai restaurant I've been to that didn't.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Another question - what do you do with used oil? It's canola oil, so it doesn't harden at room temperature, and I don't want to put it down the sink.

Никогда не доверяйте толстому полицейскому или тощему повару

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Collect it in a big jug and give it to a hippie with a diesel car.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

GrAviTy84 posted:

Collect it in a big jug and give it to a hippie with a diesel car.

This is Tennessee, the hippies are few and far between :)

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

LongSack posted:

This is Tennessee, the hippies are few and far between :)

Great, then you can just give it to one of those crazy survivalist types, I'm sure they'd have a diesel truck!

Seriously though, how much are we talking? If it's a small amount I'd put it in an old peanut butter jar and pitch it.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Eeyo posted:

Great, then you can just give it to one of those crazy survivalist types, I'm sure they'd have a diesel truck!

Seriously though, how much are we talking? If it's a small amount I'd put it in an old peanut butter jar and pitch it.

Ahh, ok trash it is.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

sc0tty posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for a nice 4th of July (with a bit of a slant towards New England food) recipe?
Fresh corn-on-the-cob, potato salad, cole slaw, burgers and brats with a side of baked beans. Some kind of jell-o dessert to finish. Guzzle lots of lager and Ooooh and Aahhhh to the fireworks at night.

Or you could do a straight up crab boil if you've got some on the cheap, that would be a fine 4th of july dish that fits well with new england's coastal flair.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aerofallosov posted:

Got it, thank you! My first few to try are boiling away now. :D Though, weirdly, I got the right number of pierogi, but there was a lot of filling left... Oh well, guess that's mashed taters for lunch tomorrow.

Alternately, make more pierogi! More is always good.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

GrAviTy84 posted:

It seems to be the universal method at Thai places in my area. We have everything from lackluster Thai to loving amazing Thai, and they all use the pepper scale. I don't think I've seen it in any other type of restaurant, either, so maybe it's just a weird regional thing.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I've just got a new meatgrinder (thanks to Cazu Marzu!) and I was wondering what I should do first. My wife thinks it's loving stupid, so I want something that's impressively delicious and makes it obvious that home ground meat is better than shop bought, but is also relatively easy.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Hey, wasn't there a mead thread in here? I was thinking of maybe making some for my bros graduation as he's really into the Viking stuff and he just turned 20 to boot. I Ctrl+F-ed for Mead but didn't find anything, does anyone remember it?

The mead thread disappeared almost a year ago, I think as part of the "Whirled Peas" thingie that happened. For a good mead, though, mix 3 pounds of honey with 1 gallon of water, bring to 160 degrees, cool, and toss in some D-47 or EC-1118 yeast. This is all presuming your Friendly Local Homebrew Store has already sold you the fermenting bucket etc. Be aware that after up to six months of fermenting, mead really really really ought to sit in bottle for a year minimum to taste its best.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Scientastic posted:

I've just got a new meatgrinder (thanks to Cazu Marzu!) and I was wondering what I should do first. My wife thinks it's loving stupid, so I want something that's impressively delicious and makes it obvious that home ground meat is better than shop bought, but is also relatively easy.

Make a merguez. Fairly easy, tastes impressive as gently caress

KWC
Jul 5, 2007
Hello

Scientastic posted:

Sausages for sure. I know you're in the UK where sausages are much more prevalent, but in the US I got a meat grinder exclusively to make decent fatty sausages with whatever flavors I want.

Tartare is best made with the freshest ground meat and it doesn't get much fresher than doing it yourself. Freshly ground tartare lightly seasoned, very runny egg, toast points, something sharply acidic like pickled onions and a light salad of bitter greens is a very easy but also kind of fancy meal and should show off the grinder a little.

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

How do I avoid loving up the skin when pan-frying fish? I want crispy skin but it often comes out soggy or just falls off :(

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

CuddleChunks posted:

Or you could do a straight up clambake if you've got some on the cheap, that would be a fine 4th of july dish that fits well with new england's coastal flair.

Fixed.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

jkk posted:

How do I avoid loving up the skin when pan-frying fish? I want crispy skin but it often comes out soggy or just falls off :(

What kind of fish? Some are a bit easier to do that others. You really need to cook a little lower than you may think, to cook off the water of the skin. For example, we did arctic char at the restaurant and those generally came out pretty nice and crispy.. we would blot the hell out of the skin and put it into a well-seasoned pan with a light oil coating on the bottom already. We would only season the flesh (no salt on the skin!) and pretty much cook it completely skin side down on a medium heat.

I was trying to find a decent youtube for the technique, but then I was mesmerized by this (cut to 12m when it starts getting a little dull):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3iDdPfUX5g&feature=related

Turkeybone fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 2, 2012

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

Turkeybone posted:

What kind of fish? Some are a bit easier to do that others. You really need to cook a little lower than you may think, to cook off the water of the skin. For example, we did arctic char at the restaurant and those generally came out pretty nice and crispy.. we would blot the hell out of the skin and put it into a well-seasoned pan with a light oil coating on the bottom already. We would only season the flesh (no salt on the skin!) and pretty much cook it completely skin side down on a medium heat.

Salmon, trout and "whitefish" ("siika" - it's a popular fish in Finland but apparently doesn't have a proper English name:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coregonus_lavaretus) are the ones I buy most often.

I'll try lower heat next time!

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
I inherited this breadstick recipe from my father; unfortunately, he forgot to include the amount of salt. Any ideas? 1/4 tsp? 1/2 tsp? A full teaspoon seems too much.

2 cup water warm
2 tablespoon sugar
2 pack yeast
1/4 olive oil
5- 6 cup flour

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug
I see fish talk in here, and thats good. I need to get help with cooking cod!

I prefer to cook suppers in the oven, just for conveniences sake. This may be my stumbling block.

I get home from work, turn on the oven, and put together supper. Then I put it in the oven and go for a run, and when I get back, take it out, and eat. Cod confounds me every time I try this. Or, even when I stay home to watch it.

Even with the most basic of prep, I still cannot make good cod. Tonight, I tried giving it a thin coat of butter, and some breadcrumbs. Oiled a sheet of foil, put on a tray and threw it in an oven preheated to 350°F. Cooked it for 15 minutes, and took a look at it, and it was tough as hell, so I threw it back in for some more time, and have been checking on it every 5 minutes. Its just shriveling up without ever getting to the flaking point. Its about fish jerky at this point.

Anyone have some tips for a lovely bachelor cook on fixing up some cod?

edit: I just took it out of the oven after about 30-40 minutes of it not changing at all. Its rubbery, still looks translucent, and dry as gently caress all. I might get a splinter eating this poo poo. Help...

Syves fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 3, 2012

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
When I do fish, I just make a little aluminum foil tray, put the fish steak on it, sprinkle salt, bake for 10-12 minutes, done.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Syves posted:

I see fish talk in here, and thats good. I need to get help with cooking cod!

I prefer to cook suppers in the oven, just for conveniences sake. This may be my stumbling block.

I get home from work, turn on the oven, and put together supper. Then I put it in the oven and go for a run, and when I get back, take it out, and eat. Cod confounds me every time I try this. Or, even when I stay home to watch it.

Even with the most basic of prep, I still cannot make good cod. Tonight, I tried giving it a thin coat of butter, and some breadcrumbs. Oiled a sheet of foil, put on a tray and threw it in an oven preheated to 350°F. Cooked it for 15 minutes, and took a look at it, and it was tough as hell, so I threw it back in for some more time, and have been checking on it every 5 minutes. Its just shriveling up without ever getting to the flaking point. Its about fish jerky at this point.

Anyone have some tips for a lovely bachelor cook on fixing up some cod?

edit: I just took it out of the oven after about 30-40 minutes of it not changing at all. Its rubbery, still looks translucent, and dry as gently caress all. I might get a splinter eating this poo poo. Help...

30-40 min is way too long. you might want to look into cooking en papillote. You can put your veg underneath your meat and season appropriately, seal up the pouch, and cook. When it's done, everything should be perfect.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

For cooking whitefish in the oven (I prefer skillet, but to each his own) you probably want to cook it en papillote (fancy talk for in paper) or in a foil packet. This will allow the fish to steam which will keep it moist. You should be able to find numerous recipes for cooking fish this way.

LongSack fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jul 3, 2012

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008
So I have some random bag of un-marked rice from the bulk bins at WF. I am pretty sure it's short grain brown rice though. Dark brown and about as fat as it is long.

I remember cooking this before and being very disappointed, basically ending up with a chewy, rubbery mess. I have hypoglycemia and I remember it took forever to digest (a good thing) but the texture was so off putting I don't know that I can do it often.

Am I just not cooking it long enough? Should I soak it first?

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
How did you cook it? I use 2.5 cups water per 1 cup rice. Rinse rice a lil, drain, put in the water, bring to boil, lower heat and let simmer for ~45 minutes. It's kinda touch and go for me, though. But it should definitely be fluffy and not rubbery in the end.

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

An observer posted:

How did you cook it? I use 2.5 cups water per 1 cup rice. Rinse rice a lil, drain, put in the water, bring to boil, lower heat and let simmer for ~45 minutes. It's kinda touch and go for me, though. But it should definitely be fluffy and not rubbery in the end.

No rinse, and I just did 2:1 for the water, bring water to boil then add rice, and was prob closer to the 40 min mark. Do you bring rice up to a boil with the water? Does that do anything different? (I know it's good for boiled eggs)

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea

Interstitial Abs posted:

Do you bring rice up to a boil with the water? Does that do anything different?

Yes, and I don't know cause I never did it otherwise. Sounds like you undercooked yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Brennanite posted:

I inherited this breadstick recipe from my father; unfortunately, he forgot to include the amount of salt. Any ideas? 1/4 tsp? 1/2 tsp? A full teaspoon seems too much.

2 cup water warm
2 tablespoon sugar
2 pack yeast
1/4 olive oil
5- 6 cup flour

For that amount of flour, you'd be safe with anywhere between 3 - 4 teaspoons, actually. Unless you're one of those who is terrified of the horrors of salt.