Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

madkapitolist posted:

I am having issues with using heimdall 64bit ubuntu build with my galaxy s3. Has anyone has success with rooting the s3 this way?

what are you seeing?

May be similar to osx in which you have to trash some of the kies drivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Reverted back to CM9 on my G'Nex. While I like JB, the really poor battery life across all ROM and Kernels, and the random reboots can't cut it. Just going to wait till a non-port comes out.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Alright, here's where I now stand with my phone, somehow it's still not bricked:
code:
Model number: T-Mobile G1
Firmware version: 1.0
Baseband version: 62.33.20.08H_1.22.12.29
Kernel version: 2.6.25-01843-gfea26b0
                android-build@apa27 #6
Build number: kila-user 1.0 TC4-RC29 115247
              ota-rel-keys,release-keys
When I power off and boot back up holding Home+Power, I get an image of a phone with an exclamation mark in a triangle, so it appears I somehow lost the Amon-RA Recovery tool. At this point I am forced to pull the battery to power it off. It will then power back on as normal. When I power off and hold Camera+Power, I get the following:
code:
DREA100 PVT  32B
HBOOT-0.95.0000
CPLD-4
RADIO-1.22.12.29

Sep 2 2008
After this screen, I get another screen:
code:
DREAIMG.nbh -
BOOTLOADER -
RECOVERY -
BOOT -
SPLASH1 -
SYSTEM -
USERDATA  -
RADIO_V2 -

Press power button
to start update image

Press action button
to cancel update image
So at this point I'm not really sure of what state I'm in. I'd like to get CM6 on this ancient phone and extend its lifespan somewhat. If someone would be so kind as to point out the next steps I should take, I would greatly appreciate it, as I'm kind of lost now.

EDIT: If it helps, there is absolutely no data on the phone or its SD card that I need, so formats etc aren't a bother for me.

Organic Lube User fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 3, 2012

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006

ssjonizuka posted:

what are you seeing?

May be similar to osx in which you have to trash some of the kies drivers.

Very weird error. Im pretty sure its not kies as I am on linux. Some quick googling revealed that it might be something with the Galaxy S3's PIT camera?

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

madkapitolist posted:

Very weird error. Im pretty sure its not kies as I am on linux. Some quick googling revealed that it might be something with the Galaxy S3's PIT camera?

What version are you using? I've seen variant behavior on different heimdall builds. I started with 1.3.0 I think, and initially rooted my sgs2, but then had other issues trying to correct an issue, jumped to 1.3.2, but that bombed. Ended up with 1.3.1... Heimdall seems very...sporadic.

And back to my previous issue:

ssjonizuka posted:

Running rooted/debloated official ICS from xda on my igh777. Took a few tries to get it working, but my last issue is gmail is not pushing as I would expect. I can't uncover any settings to ensure it is set to push, and clearing cache, reinstalling updates, deleting/readding the account and clearing cache don't seem to be helping.

Any thoughts? some light searching didn't turn up much else.

Still not getting push email from Gmail as mentioned a few pages back. Thoughts anyone?

Beverly Cleavage fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 3, 2012

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Im using the newest one 1.3.2.

edit: Just tried 1.3.1 and got the same error.
edit 2: Im trying to do this from odin now and flashing the CWM.tar was fine but I cannot boot into recovery. I tried holding home/power/vol+ and it does not work. I was able to get into download mode fine by holding home/power/vol- though.

edit: nvm had to release power button but hold home+ vol up after restart.

Whats a good rom for the ATT version of this phone?

madkapitolist fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 3, 2012

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I finally got the ICS update on my Razr late last Saturday and immediately downloaded it. I've been enjoying the new interface, etc. but was hoping to improve the battery life by freezing some bloat and keep junk from running in the background.

So, I used the EternityProject EasyRoot for ICS found here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1710871

I plugged the phone in, followed the easy directions and everything seemed fine after the phone rebooted 3 times. Then I tried using Titanium Backup and it tells me that I'm not rooted. There is also a new app "Super SU" in my app menu that states the following error when I try to open it:

"There is no SU binary installed, and SuperSU cannot install it. This is a problem!"

I thought maybe it was Titanium Backup, but the SuperSU app backs up the fact that I'm not rooted. I'm not sure what to do from here. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I find it very weird that I/O has come and gone and there's no new version of the gapps ZIP. Isn't there a new version of the Play Store that includes magazines or anything?

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

Craptacular! posted:

I find it very weird that I/O has come and gone and there's no new version of the gapps ZIP. Isn't there a new version of the Play Store that includes magazines or anything?

Yes:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/07/02/download-latest-google-play-store-v3-7-13/

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
How the heck to I sync Titanium Backup Pro to Dropbox? I have Dropbox enabled, but I can't figure out how to do it >_<

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

How the heck to I sync Titanium Backup Pro to Dropbox? I have Dropbox enabled, but I can't figure out how to do it >_<
There is a default option to do it in the schedules that you could choose to run now.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

LastInLine posted:

There is a default option to do it in the schedules that you could choose to run now.

Can't believe I missed it. Thanks, LastInLine!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I think I might have gotten the dreaded lost-signal bug on my LTE GNex running VanirBean v5 twice now. I waited a couple minutes, but had to reboot my phone before it'd recognize that there was indeed available signal. Is there a fix for this on JB yet?

Also, still looking for a way to get 180 degree rotation with JB.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

I'll be getting a GNex tomorrow and I'd like to gently caress around with adb/fastboot.

Is it fairly straightforward to install these two and ensure they are working properly?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Yes.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Odette posted:

I'll be getting a GNex tomorrow and I'd like to gently caress around with adb/fastboot.

Is it fairly straightforward to install these two and ensure they are working properly?
On Windows trying to get the correct driver is a total bitch but on OSX it's so easy it's ridiculous.

I'm guessing you already found the download for the SDK and found fastboot (which I don't think is included in the SDK). Once you get the phone recognized it should be smooth sailing.

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008

LastInLine posted:

On Windows trying to get the correct driver is a total bitch but on OSX it's so easy it's ridiculous.

I'm guessing you already found the download for the SDK and found fastboot (which I don't think is included in the SDK). Once you get the phone recognized it should be smooth sailing.
It's not that bad on Windows. That plain old Samsung USB driver sorts it out pretty well. I even got the Gnex working in WinXP first try.

Latest version: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=961956/

Kies loving sucks!

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

This is why I went back to CM9 RC1 with Franco's Kernel on my VZW G'nex with extended battery. About 60 minutes of screen time.

For reference, on the JB/Franco combo, I was barely breaking 10 hours before dying with similar use. Using CPU spy, on JB my phone was never entering deep sleep and. Checked Better Battery stats, I didn't see any apps causing it makes me think it was the kernel.

I loved JB but I'm going to wait till something other than a port comes out for my phone.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jul 4, 2012

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

JayKay posted:

For reference, on the JB/Franco combo, I was barely breaking 10 hours before dying with similar use. Using CPU spy, on JB my phone was never entering deep sleep and. Checked Better Battery stats, I didn't see any apps causing it makes me think it was the kernel.

That was due to a maps-related wakelock issue. Vanirbean has fixed it, and my phone now deep sleeps.

But the battery life is still iffy as hell. I got about two hours of screen on, nine hours standby today before I had to switch to my extended backup battery.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Just thought I'd throw out that on my HSPA+ Galaxy Nexus battery life is fine. I did have to do the Maps uninstall/reinstall to make Latitude work, but that's been it.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
Has anyone seen any problems sideloading apps, specifically on a Verizon Galaxy Nexus with CM9 RC1? I can select an apk and launch it but the Install button is not selectable and I can only cancel. There's no error, I just can't press Install. It's like it's grayed out, but there's no visual difference between the Cancel and Install buttons. I triple checked that I have Unknown Sources checked to allow sideloading, and tried deselecting and reselecting it. This happens with every apk I've tried lately. I know it used to work and I'm pretty sure it started when updating from an older nightly to RC1. I've never seen this behavior before.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
^^^

Try with this maybe? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.magmamobile.app.apkinstaller

Check to make sure your installed app storage isn't full, unlikely as that is.

Boot into recovery and use "fix permissions" if it's available.

That's all I can think of right now.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Has anyone seen any problems sideloading apps, specifically on a Verizon Galaxy Nexus with CM9 RC1? I can select an apk and launch it but the Install button is not selectable and I can only cancel. There's no error, I just can't press Install. It's like it's grayed out, but there's no visual difference between the Cancel and Install buttons. I triple checked that I have Unknown Sources checked to allow sideloading, and tried deselecting and reselecting it. This happens with every apk I've tried lately. I know it used to work and I'm pretty sure it started when updating from an older nightly to RC1. I've never seen this behavior before.
If you have ADB running you can always do "adb install filename.apk"

vvv Good point. Even if you figure out what's wrong reinstalling the ROM is the only thing that's going to fix it.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jul 5, 2012

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Even if that does work it doesn't fix the issue itself. I would try a no wipe flash of the current ROM to see if that clears it up. If not then it's time for a nuke and pave.

Slashkun
Sep 19, 2011
This is going to sound like a stupid question and it probably is but i have always wondered what fix permissions does and when you would need to or should use it?

cheers and sorry again for the stupid question :(

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Slashkun posted:

This is going to sound like a stupid question and it probably is but i have always wondered what fix permissions does and when you would need to or should use it?

cheers and sorry again for the stupid question :(

In Linux, and many other operating systems (now even windows hooray!) all files have an owner associated with them and details describing what user accounts can do with the file, most importantly who gets to read and/or write to it. In this way a computer/device can be set up to protect against malicious code (by denying write access to non-trusted users) and protect privacy. This is why root is so important - it is effectively an admin account with full access to do anything to any file, and also why you generally should not be logged in on a root/admin account on your computer.

Sometimes the associated data with files can get corrupted in rare cases (or probably more likely hosed by idiots) which can cause problems (What if the operating system could no longer read essential files?). So what I'm pretty sure this option does is go and sets all the files to what they should be.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_permissions

Slashkun
Sep 19, 2011

Shanakin posted:

In Linux, and many other operating systems (now even windows hooray!) all files have an owner associated with them and details describing what user accounts can do with the file, most importantly who gets to read and/or write to it. In this way a computer/device can be set up to protect against malicious code (by denying write access to non-trusted users) and protect privacy. This is why root is so important - it is effectively an admin account with full access to do anything to any file, and also why you generally should not be logged in on a root/admin account on your computer.

Sometimes the associated data with files can get corrupted in rare cases (or probably more likely hosed by idiots) which can cause problems (What if the operating system could no longer read essential files?). So what I'm pretty sure this option does is go and sets all the files to what they should be.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_permissions

Thank you very much for a great answer! I have always been pondering if it would do anything or possibly if it would fix things like if my phone was stuck in a boot loop or something (which it probably would if permissions are the issue).

Anyway thanks, i learnt something new today :P

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Even if that does work it doesn't fix the issue itself. I would try a no wipe flash of the current ROM to see if that clears it up. If not then it's time for a nuke and pave.

Thank you! Reflashing the ROM fixed it and I didn't have to wipe so I didn't lose anything.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Clockwork Recovery is getting an update soon. Includes faster backups and incremental backups that are much smaller, 15-20 megs.

https://plus.google.com/103583939320326217147/posts/cPF6gkmpM9m

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

How would I go about removing root from a phone without wiping? I have stock JB on my HSPA+ Gnex, and I want to get rid of root. Would I just start a terminal session as root and rm superuser.apk? My goal here is to keep my phone's current setup, data, and custom recovery, but to remove root access for added in-device security.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Clockwork Recovery is getting an update soon. Includes faster backups and incremental backups that are much smaller, 15-20 megs.

https://plus.google.com/103583939320326217147/posts/cPF6gkmpM9m
The last time he did a major change to Clockwork Recovery (from v.2 to v.3) the thing didn't work properly for a year. It would gently caress up EXT partitions and create backups that were subsequently unrestorable.

I went to Amon-RA and never looked back but now that I'm on the Galaxy Nexus I've stuck with the non-touch CWR since I got it. I'm going with "if it ain't broke..."

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

LastInLine posted:

I went to Amon-RA and never looked back but now that I'm on the Galaxy Nexus I've stuck with the non-touch CWR since I got it. I'm going with "if it ain't broke..."

My stance too. I jumped on his touch recovery right off the bat like an idiot and it royally hosed my Sensation. So bad that I RUU'ed it and had to start from scratch.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Touch recovery is pretty great on my GNex.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Aatrek posted:

Touch recovery is pretty great on my GNex.

Agreed, I love it. Whatever one the toolkit thing installed, works great.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
Koush is a good guy, but I vastly prefer 4ext on my Sensation and TWRP on my touchpad.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I need to get some kind of medal for the amount of phones I've installed CM7 or CM9 on:

T-959
T-959S
T-989
LG OV
LG OS
LG G2X
LGE739
Nook Color
Exhibit II
OG Verizon Droid (gave up; gently caress that phone)

I work in IT and everyone at my work knows I can't turn down modding their phones for free because I have a masochism fetish apparently. Somehow I've never permanently bricked any of them, and even unbricked the G2X when it was toast to begin with from someone else loving up. So I guess I've pretty much done all of Tmobile's back-catalog if anyone needs any help with those.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

I need to get some kind of medal for the amount of phones I've installed CM7 or CM9 on:

T-959
T-959S
T-989
LG OV
LG OS
LG G2X
LGE739
Nook Color
Exhibit II
OG Verizon Droid (gave up; gently caress that phone)

I work in IT and everyone at my work knows I can't turn down modding their phones for free because I have a masochism fetish apparently. Somehow I've never permanently bricked any of them, and even unbricked the G2X when it was toast to begin with from someone else loving up. So I guess I've pretty much done all of Tmobile's back-catalog if anyone needs any help with those.

Psssh. MT3G, MT3G (version b), Vibrant, 2 G2's, 2 MT4G's, 2 MT4G slides, 4 Sensations, 2 HP touchpads, and a nook color. No bricks yet, but I usually stick with established rooting methods. I think you really have to go balls out to brick something.

Also, CM10 news.
https://plus.google.com/u/0/117962666888533781522/posts/PNJutPNhixo
tl;dr: They want to finish CM9 before working on CM10, and all CM9 devices should support CM10. I'm not sure why anyone would want them to continue work on CM9 when 4.1 source is out.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Civil posted:

I'm not sure why anyone would want them to continue work on CM9 when 4.1 source is out.
Do you mean once 4.1 source is out? Because right now it's not out.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

So I think this weekend I want to bite the bullet and go for an unlock/root/JB spree on my Galaxy Nexus. I know to use the wugfresh tool for the unlock/root, but have no clue where to go from there, nor which site/forums I should use.

I see rootzwiki pointed at a lot, but they still have no mention of the wugfresh tool on their forums/wiki. Xda is pretty awful to navigate as well. And, icing on the cake, the OP of this thread is banned so it is really out of date on everything. For example, I don't know what to do to make a nandroid, nor when I am supposed to make one (after rooting and having the tool install CWM Recovery, right?)

Without root, Titanium can't back up much can it? I don't really care about game data, but it might be handy to save some texts.

Any input would be appreciated, I am still horrendously new to this and the only other phone I unlocked/rooted was a Droid X via a one click method, and I moved on to the GNex before playing with ROMs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

LastInLine posted:

Do you mean once 4.1 source is out? Because right now it's not out.

Right...my fault. I believe they've said it will be out mid-July. As for CM 9.0.0, it still feels pretty far off, for other than a few Nexus devices.