Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

PelvicNerve posted:

Hooray, my Secret Warriors Omni has shipped.

I've had a super lovely week so this will make everything better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Rhyno posted:

I've had a super lovely week so this will make everything better.

Oh, that's nice.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Happy Hippo posted:

Oh, that's nice.

I cheated. I closed out the register and rang it out on tomorrow's sales. I never do this but I was in a rotten mood and wanted to sit and read this tonight.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Rhyno posted:

I cheated. I closed out the register and rang it out on tomorrow's sales. I never do this but I was in a rotten mood and wanted to sit and read this tonight.

Get off of the forums and read that poo poo, son.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Happy Hippo posted:

Get off of the forums and read that poo poo, son.

It's open on the table next to my laptop. I'm switching off, forums -> Secret Warriors -> booze rinse and repeat.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

drat 'no, you need to hit me up. I figured I'd be the only one booze-comic-forumin.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

For people thinking "boy I'd like to get one of those Secret Warriors omnibuses" instocktrades has it for $48 this week. You'll have to buy something else to qualify for free shipping.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Dang, I can either buy TPBs 3-6 to complete my collection for $48 or the entire omnibus for $48. Bought!

Now who wants the first two trades?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Hey, there's a Fear Agent deluxe hardcover coming out:
http://www.darkhorse.com/Books/19-542/Fear-Agent-Volume-1-HC

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Uthor posted:

Hey, there's a Fear Agent deluxe hardcover coming out:
http://www.darkhorse.com/Books/19-542/Fear-Agent-Volume-1-HC

Sweet--Fear Agent is one of those things I've wanted to get around to for awhile, but never have. This will do nicely.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Zachack posted:

For people thinking "boy I'd like to get one of those Secret Warriors omnibuses" instocktrades has it for $48 this week. You'll have to buy something else to qualify for free shipping.

Is it actually good? I've never read any Nick Fury stuff.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

Is it actually good? I've never read any Nick Fury stuff.

Secret Warriors is REALLY good.

I don't know if this will make you any more or less interested, but it reminded me a bit of the never-ending struggle between G.I. Joe and COBRA, only better-written than any of the '80s comics or cartoons (and add in some young superheroes).

But if you aren't a child of the '80s who may have grown up with G.I. Joe, it's far better than that.

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann

Zachack posted:

Is it standalone? Or does it tie into lovely events? Is the series done?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

wildlele posted:

Is it standalone? Or does it tie into lovely events? Is the series done?

There is a minor Secret Invasion tie-in (that's when the team was first introduced, and they helped fight off the Skrulls in Central Park), and some Dark Reign stuff with Norman Osborn being in charge of everything and HAMMER having replaced SHIELD, but that's about the extent of it.

The whole thing is over and done with, wrapped up very neatly with no loose ends.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

There is a minor Secret Invasion tie-in (that's when the team was first introduced, and they helped fight off the Skrulls in Central Park), and some Dark Reign stuff with Norman Osborn being in charge of everything and HAMMER having replaced SHIELD, but that's about the extent of it.

The whole thing is over and done with, wrapped up very neatly with no loose ends.
It also stems from Secret Wars 3, which is, I think, where Nick Fury leaves SHIELD and one of the characters is introduced. And while I have not read Hickman's S.H.I.E.L.D., I've been told that certain kinda-batshit things that happen very close to the end of Secret Warriors are touched on in that.

That said, I think I read Secret Warriors prior to reading almost any of Dark Reign (I knew Osborn was in charge from reading Fraction's Iron Man), and read Secret Wars 3 long after (it's kinda so-so, don't bother), and enjoyed the poo poo out of Secret Warriors. I used Wikipedia a bit to look up old HYDRA stuff, as it deals with HYDRA fairly extensively.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Daisy Johnson first appears in Secret War (not Secret Wars 3) and also shows up in the fourth New Avengers TPB (probably the worst arc of the series), and the rest of Fury's actual team make their first appearances in Mighty Avengers during the Secret Invasion tie-ins, but you don't really NEED to read any of those.

I had not realized that Gorgon and Kraken were both relatively new characters, rather than classic HYDRA villains, until I looked them up on Wikipedia. I wouldn't worry about them either -- Hickman explains what you need to know about them.

S.H.I.E.L.D. is batshit insane (in a good way), with gorgeous, detailed art by Dustin Weaver, and I think it would improve the overall experience of reading Secret Warriors, but I don't think it's necessarily required reading either.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I got the new Uncle Scrooge collection in the mail only to find that someone had defaced it. They stuck a foreword by George Lucas in the book. :argh:

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

Random Stranger posted:

I got the new Uncle Scrooge collection in the mail only to find that someone had defaced it. They stuck a foreword by George Lucas in the book. :argh:
How appropriate.

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann

Random Stranger posted:

Gross :(

Scuttle_SE
Jun 2, 2005
I like mammaries
Pillbug
Several years ago I managed to collect all 10 volumes with Don Rosa comics from the swedish collection "Walt Disney's Hall of Fame - De Stora Serieskaparna" (The great comic-creators). It was a 27 volume set that collected Don Rosa, Romano Scarpa, Carl Barks, Victor Arriagada Ríos, Paul Murry, Marco Rota, William van Horn and others. It was not a complete collection, more of a "best of". My main interest was Don Rosa, and since these 10 volumes also collected "The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck" it was a must-buy.

About a year ago I started hearing rumblings about a deluxe Don Rosa collection being printed here in sweden, and immediately got excited. The previous collection was fine and all, but there were some small stuff missing, and it looked kind of weird in the bookshelf having a "complete" collection of 10 volumes numbered from 1 to 27...

So far I have gotten the first three of nine planned volumes. And they're gorgeous. They're about the size of the DC Absolute volumes, a bit thicker, in hardcover and just under 300 pages in each volume, lots of commentary and extras from Don Rosa himself.

Volume 6 of the "old" Don Rosa collection, number 2, about 180 pages.

The second volume of the new collection.

What they look like on my bookshelf :)

I've been looking around, but I haven't really been able to find any nice hardcover-editions of either Don Rosa or Carl Barks in the US. Are the duck that much more popular here in europe?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Scuttle_SE posted:

I've been looking around, but I haven't really been able to find any nice hardcover-editions of either Don Rosa or Carl Barks in the US. Are the duck that much more popular here in europe?

Yes, Ducks are way more popular in Europe.

Fantagraphics has set out to reprint all of Carl Bark's work, but it will take something like 15 years to complete.
http://www.fantagraphics.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=699&Itemid=62

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Scuttle_SE posted:

There's the 3 Don Rosa "Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck" hardcovers that BOOM! put out (which are pretty sweet), and I think that's it.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Scuttle_SE posted:

So far I have gotten the first three of nine planned volumes. And they're gorgeous. They're about the size of the DC Absolute volumes, a bit thicker, in hardcover and just under 300 pages in each volume, lots of commentary and extras from Don Rosa himself.

The second volume of the new collection.

What they look like on my bookshelf :)

My oh my, those new HC collections are fantastic. Where can I find them? Can they be shipped to Canada?

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann

friendo55 posted:

My oh my, those new HC collections are fantastic. Where can I find them? Can they be shipped to Canada?

Do you speak Swedish? I'm tempted to learn! Those look amazing!

Scuttle_SE
Jun 2, 2005
I like mammaries
Pillbug

friendo55 posted:

So far they're only available from Egmont in sweden as a subscription. The only other option seems to be the german edition, but I don't know the availability of those

Found some ISBN-info:

Disney: Don Rosa Collection 1
ISBN: 978-3-7704-3495-4

Disney: Don Rosa Collection 2
ISBN 978-3-7704-3525-8

Disney: Don Rosa Collection 3
ISBN 978-3-7704-3526-5

These are for the german editions though, and this is three "boxes" with three volumes in each.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Uthor posted:

Yes, Ducks are way more popular in Europe.

Fantagraphics has set out to reprint all of Carl Bark's work, but it will take something like 15 years to complete.
http://www.fantagraphics.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=699&Itemid=62

I think it's six years to complete, actually. They just released the second volume this month (my post about it is on this page, in fact) and the next Donald centric volume is due out in November.

I do wish more Rosa stuff would be collected. Those are some handsome volumes the Swedes are getting.

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann

Random Stranger posted:

I think it's six years to complete, actually. They just released the second volume this month (my post about it is on this page, in fact) and the next Donald centric volume is due out in November.

I do wish more Rosa stuff would be collected. Those are some handsome volumes the Swedes are getting.

Sadly it is 30 volumes and 15 years..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Complete_Carl_Barks_Disney_Library

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The only thing worse than reshelving your collection is getting part way through and realize you've skipped a few Showcase Presents volumes that go on the very first shelf.

That and how you keep going, "Oh, I never finished that. I should order the last couple of volumes."

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Good god.
I just picked up the Uncle Scrooge volume and was really impressed. 15 years, eh? :aaa:

And no, I cannot speak Swedish. First the gorgeous women and now this gorgeous collection - I'll learn it with you wildele!
I saw the English covers and thought it would be the same inside. Rats.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
I went back a few pages, apologize if someone else beat me to this release:

A new Blacksad HC made it's English debut on July 11th, haven't seen any news so I thought I'd share! Amazon has it for almost half the list price currently.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
The nice thing about the new Blacksad is that it's the same size as the other hardcover and the spine matches so it looks super nice on the shelf.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
Can someone remind me what IKEA bookshelf it is that everyone likes for their OSHC collections? I remember seeing talk about one that wouldn't buckle even under the weight of a shelf full of omnibuses.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Can someone remind me what IKEA bookshelf it is that everyone likes for their OSHC collections? I remember seeing talk about one that wouldn't buckle even under the weight of a shelf full of omnibuses.
Expedit or something like that. I've got a 4x4 and it's way sturdier than expected. They're rated to, I think 50 lbs. per shelf, which is pretty much a full shelf of Absolutes with capacity to spare.

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann
It laughs at puny Absolutes. I suspect it could take three of the Taschen DC 75th anniversary books with ease as well.

My only quibble is that it is very deep so it sticks out from the wall but by no means is that a dealbraker

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006
Is it time to be an android not a man

wildlele posted:

It laughs at puny Absolutes. I suspect it could take three of the Taschen DC 75th anniversary books with ease as well.

My only quibble is that it is very deep so it sticks out from the wall but by no means is that a dealbraker

Here is a partial shot of my 5x5 Expedit in black

These are my 6 shelf Billy's

krut
Jun 5, 2005

ask me about oranges

Glenn Danzig posted:

Holy loving poo poo. That is the most epic collection of hardcovers and omnibuses I have ever seen.

What do you do for a living?

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

That is a beautiful collection Danzig.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006
Is it time to be an android not a man

krut posted:

Holy loving poo poo. That is the most epic collection of hardcovers and omnibuses I have ever seen.

What do you do for a living?

Thanks, I make computers work for a living.

mallratcal posted:

redbackground posted:

Glenn, that is pretty amazing.

Thank you sirs.

Glenn Danzig fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 16, 2012

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

mallratcal posted:

Glenn, that is pretty amazing.

C'mon, let's see everyone else's shelves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Glenn Danzig posted:

:stare: I am jealous. Nice job