Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Captain Shortbus posted:

My LBS carries Founder's porter, and it is next on my list. I just found FW locally, so I had to try it. It was Porter or Double Jack, and with my IPA history, I went Porter. No Edmund Fitzgerald here, unfortunately.

Double Jack is near perfect for an IIPA in my opinion. I also think that after 5 years that I'm getting sick of Yuengling. I had a bottle last night with some buddies and it just seemed overly sweet. I don't know what's going on because I've drank a 12 pack in a day before and still loved it.

Also I want to mention my love of pool beer in the light of the shower beer talk. It's hard to beat floating around in a pool with a floating cooler near you always ready to serve the next one.

V That's not what I said. I said that I see no reason to drink all day just for the sake of drinking. If I'm drinking it's either in moderation to enjoy the flavor or for getting drunk. I'm not pounding a gross artificially flavored beer all day for the sake of drinking all day. The fake lime flavor in that is just sickening.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jul 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosher man
May 8, 2002

Midorka posted:

I'd rather drink Gatorade or something else than a low alcohol beer that's not getting me drunk, at least I'm drinking something that's re-hydrating me. I mean 32 ounce Gatorade's for $1 or 72 ounces of Bud Light Lime for $6.99? Easy decision for me. I just don't see the point in buying a case of a beer to drink all day for the sake of drinking with my pals, if I'm not getting drunk then I'm going to drink something non-alcoholic, unless it's to enjoy the flavor.

I don't know but I have two. I hope they don't suck.

Hey maybe you should see a doctor if you think the only purpose for drinking is to end up drunk. Especially with how often you post, which would point to drinking a lot.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

crazyfish posted:

edit 2: The same store had Bruery Fruet, but is there any way in hell that's worth $35 a bomber?
$35 is steep, but Fruet is loving Good. It's the best anniversary thing The Bruery has put out, and that's saying a lot. It's $30 or so per bottle at Provisions with tax and stuff, a $5 markup doesn't seem terrible.

Watsabi posted:

Does anybody dare trying the bizarre flavors?
Quite a few of us have dared, and I don't think anyone's liked it yet. I described the flavor as burnt tire, scorched hair, with a bit of fenugreek (artificial maple flavor) on top. It's loving vile.

Watsabi
Jul 4, 2012

All right, you got me there. Some times it just comes out, ya know? Time to start on a six pack of Coors light and split fire wood. Haha

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Toronado San Diego had Poor Man's IPA on cask last night. Fun times were had by all.

It was steak night so I sat at the bar with my wife listening to the orders other people made. It was difficult to not lob suggestions like a huge dork, and I did it anyways because I am a beer dork who can't help myself. It was kind of funny how often people asked "what's the lightest beer you have?"

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

My name is Buck, and I'm here to fuck
So I arrived in San Diego on Monday for a 3 month work stint, and I'm planning on starting my brewery tour of terror on Friday at Alpine Beer Company. I remember a long time ago someone was saying something about one of their beers (I want to say their IPA) being both extremely good and extremely consistent from batch to batch. Just wanted to double check which one that was. It doesn't look like they do tours, so I guess I'll just go there for lunch and get a growler fill and a couple bottles to take home. Any suggestions? The chocolate oatmeal stout sounds appealing.

And I bought a Knee Deep Simtra Triple IPA the other night. Wow. Really wish I could get that on the east coast.

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

Midorka posted:

I'm not pounding a gross artificially flavored beer all day for the sake of drinking all day. The fake lime flavor in that is just sickening.

This is true. It'd be more authentic and probably cheaper to just buy a sixer of Bud Light and a lime.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Whodat Smith-Jones posted:

So I arrived in San Diego on Monday for a 3 month work stint, and I'm planning on starting my brewery tour of terror on Friday at Alpine Beer Company. I remember a long time ago someone was saying something about one of their beers (I want to say their IPA) being both extremely good and extremely consistent from batch to batch. Just wanted to double check which one that was. It doesn't look like they do tours, so I guess I'll just go there for lunch and get a growler fill and a couple bottles to take home. Any suggestions? The chocolate oatmeal stout sounds appealing.

And I bought a Knee Deep Simtra Triple IPA the other night. Wow. Really wish I could get that on the east coast.

That's not too descriptive because Alpine doesn't make anything but IPAs :lol: They are my favorite local brewery in terms of quality but good god do they have too many IPAs in their portfolio. Duet is their "regular" IPA, Pure Hoppiness is their regular double, and Nelson is their Rye IPA. Nelson is my favorite Rye beer ever; it really does the whole concept right. They will often have a bunch of other IPAs on tap in the attached bar though that aren't in their typical portfolio, i.e. O'Brien's ale, Melonhead, Hoppy Birthday, etc. etc.

I don't actually think Alpine is a great brewery tour since its a really tiny building without much in it and you just end up at the attached pub to drink the beer. Not to mention the fact that the town of Alpine is in the middle of nowhere. The Toronado in North Park had Captain Stout (the beer you're referring to), Nelson and Pure Hoppiness on tap yesterday.

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

That's not too descriptive because Alpine doesn't make anything but IPAs :lol: They are my favorite local brewery in terms of quality but good god do they have too many IPAs in their portfolio. Duet is their "regular" IPA, Pure Hoppiness is their regular double, and Nelson is their Rye IPA. Nelson is my favorite Rye beer ever; it really does the whole concept right. They will often have a bunch of other IPAs on tap in the attached bar though that aren't in their typical portfolio, i.e. O'Brien's ale, Melonhead, Hoppy Birthday, etc. etc.

I don't actually think Alpine is a great brewery tour since its a really tiny building without much in it and you just end up at the attached pub to drink the beer. Not to mention the fact that the town of Alpine is in the middle of nowhere. The Toronado in North Park had Captain Stout (the beer you're referring to), Nelson and Pure Hoppiness on tap yesterday.

Yeah, it seemed to be in the middle of nowhere. I guess it'd be kinda pointless to go all the way out there just to eat and drink a beer. Maybe I'll just do Ballast Point instead.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Nelson is their rye IPA and it's excellent. Captain Stout is decent, but I prefer Alesmith's Speedway or Lost Abbey's Serpent. Pretty much everything Alpine does is at least good. I'd recommend getting a sampler or two at the restaurant so you can try as many things as possible. Some folks don't really care for their sour, Chez Monieux, but I thought it was very good - strong on the blue cheese and walnut aromas.

Have something barbeque at the restaurant, they make all their sauces in-house using spilled/overflow beer.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Yeah, it seemed to be in the middle of nowhere. I guess it'd be kinda pointless to go all the way out there just to eat and drink a beer. Maybe I'll just do Ballast Point instead.

No. Go to Alpine, just don't expect this large thing. A tour would be akin to going to your friend's studio apartment and him saying "hey, let me give you a tour of the place."

Also, the drive out there gives you an idea of how diverse our county can be, topographically-speaking, and the town itself is pretty (when SDG&E aren't loving things up with construction).

Most importantly though, while you might find a brewery which makes *a* better IPA (RR, Hill Farmstead), as a stable of beers nobody makes a whole line of IPAs in the world better than Alpine.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

wattershed posted:

Most importantly though, while you might find a brewery which makes *a* better IPA (RR, Hill Farmstead), as a stable of beers nobody makes a whole line of IPAs in the world better than Alpine.

I can attest to this, as I got a lineup of pretty much every IPA they make in a trade awhile back. Not a bad or mediocre one in the bunch, as far as I'm concerned. It's a shame I can't get them out here. :sigh:

Anyone else doing anything interesting July 4th? I'm hitting up a nice, big celebration put on by Hardywood Park that debuts their 3.7% Special Bitter. Also ginger-lemonade/singel shandy and Bourbon Cru Mint Juleps 'til I die.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Happy fourth, everyone. I'm hydrating now because I've got some nice stuff to go with the bbq this afternoon. In order I'm planning on serving: Victory Summer Love; Oskar Blues Dale's Pale Ale; Stone Cali-Belgique; Green Flash IIPA; Firestone Walker Double Jack; and if anyone still has room by the end of the night, DFH Bitches Brew.

Don't forget to drink a lot of water today. Philly is supposed to get to around 98 or so, and don't forget that alcohol is dehydrating by itself. Be safe, have fun!

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

bartolimu posted:

$35 is steep, but Fruet is loving Good. It's the best anniversary thing The Bruery has put out, and that's saying a lot. It's $30 or so per bottle at Provisions with tax and stuff, a $5 markup doesn't seem terrible.

I mean, I knew the price was generally in line, but even though I have no qualms with spending $15 on a random Jolly Pumpkin bomber, $30 is a lot to throw down for something I'm on the fence about, especially when I've got a few other barrel aged barleywines in my cellar (alas, no King Henry, which I would drop $70 on in a second because it was that good).

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
^^^and it doesn't help when the brewery says "wait three years to drink it!" ^^^

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Anyone else doing anything interesting July 4th? I'm hitting up a nice, big celebration put on by Hardywood Park that debuts their 3.7% Special Bitter. Also ginger-lemonade/singel shandy and Bourbon Cru Mint Juleps 'til I die.

i was gonna go to that, but i'm gonna kill the 64oz growler of CCB Ligaro i got for $7.99, instead (with some help from my brother). already tried the SB604, anyway- curious to know what you think of it.

also, if you're interested, OUAV South had Founders Frangelic Brown yesterday.

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

wattershed posted:

No. Go to Alpine, just don't expect this large thing. A tour would be akin to going to your friend's studio apartment and him saying "hey, let me give you a tour of the place."

Also, the drive out there gives you an idea of how diverse our county can be, topographically-speaking, and the town itself is pretty (when SDG&E aren't loving things up with construction).

I mean I wouldn't expect a grand spectacle at all of these places I'm interested in visiting since I know they're not all big (relatively) like Stone. I guess when I initially said tours I just meant visiting a whole bunch of breweries regardless of whether they had an actual tour of the facilities. I thought maybe in this case it might just be worth picking up a few of their beers from one of the stores in town rather than going all the way out to the brewery, but it seems like heading out there might be worthwhile now. It's only like 40 minutes away from where I'm staying anyway.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

God I am such a sucker for good packaging (and cans). I picked up Sixpoint Resin on a total whim.

Thankfully, it's quite good which is slightly uncommon when I go for looks alone with a beer I know nothing about.

But the packaging :3: Tall 12oz cans look great, and the design is so good I took a picture.

The beer looks fairly good too :v:

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

I've become a pretty big fan of Sixpoint beers over the last few months. I really liked Resin when I first had it a while ago, and Righteous Rye is pretty good too, I think. Not sure how I feel about Bengali Tiger. It's not bad, but it didn't seem terribly distinctive.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
I don't find anything they make remarkable aside from Apollo, which is great on a hot as balls day. Resin in particular I thought was far too sweet and piney. I'm a serious sucker for cans, though, so I find myself buying pretty much everything they make at least once.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Watsabi posted:

Does anybody dare trying the bizarre flavors?

I tried one of these Voodoo Donut Bacon Maple Ales. Inspired by the local Donut place here in Portland and their signature donut. Luckily I was not the only one that had to suffer through this abomination of flavors.

Only way I can describe it is if you took a bottle of syrup, added some bacon drippings, and topped it off with beer. That would about sum it up. I don't regret trying it but I will not be getting it ever again.

I can't believe I paid $22 for a pink beer bottle. :blush:

Suddenly I don't feel that bad for only dropping $14 on that bottle which I had to drain-pour. :v:

I have to stop drinking for 10 days, at least. I've got two infections and am on a double-dose of anti-biotics.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I didn't mean to sound *that* down on the place - I agree with wattershed actually. You should go out there if you want to try a lot of good stuff, just make sure to go when the pub is open. If you don't go out there, you'll never actually get any of their non-IPA stuff since local taverns never carry anything but the IPAs. Mandarin Nectar is surprisingly refreshing.

Ballast Point is a brewery I would save for a day when you've got time for three breweries because it's very close to both Green Flash and Alesmith. Ballast Point tends to be a lot bigger hit when I take friends on brewery trips than the other two since they do tours, have a huge tasting room and carry a huge lineup of seasonals and specials at their brewery.

Valencia
Feb 1, 2005

Cyril, go lock up the product before Cokie Monster here gobbles it all up.

:catdrugs:
While I was down in Myrtle Beach this past weekend I asked one of my friends if there was anything local that I should take back with me and he recommended the White Thai from Westbrook Brewing. It's a Belgian witbier style but with lemongrass and ginger instead of the traditional coriander, and a slight touch of Sorachi Ace hops in the finish. It is loving tasty, a perfect way to combat the triple-digit temperatures we've had recently, and the can artwork is quite pretty to boot. Can't recommend this enough if you like witbiers and are in their distribution area (they're out of Charleston/Mt. Pleasant SC).

I also brought home a sixer of RJ Rockers' Son of a Peach. I know someone in the thread said that pretty much all of their stuff is trash, but I remembered liking the draft version of this decently enough when I had it last year. The bottles are a totally different story- the peach flavor is noticeable in the nose and in the beginning, but the finish is bitter as gently caress and completely ruins what would be an otherwise perfectly okay beer. What a disappointment :(

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

funkybottoms posted:

i was gonna go to that, but i'm gonna kill the 64oz growler of CCB Ligaro i got for $7.99, instead (with some help from my brother). already tried the SB604, anyway- curious to know what you think of it.

also, if you're interested, OUAV South had Founders Frangelic Brown yesterday.

The event was so-so. I never got to try the randall since it wasn't clearly marked where they had it, and by the time I finished my regular Bourbon Cru the lines were all absurd. It was packed, to the point where the lines for caps were about 20-ish minutes long and the beer doubly so. The shandy was goddamn delicious, though, and I hope they do it again. Easily the highlight of the event. Still, I kinda wish I'd gone to Whole Foods instead.

The SB? Not to poo poo on them, but I was a bit let down. It's a nice beer, don't get me wrong, and it was fantastic for being in the blazing heat and sipping out of a mason jar. But I guess I was expecting an ESB with the usual British maltiness. Instead it felt like a very light pale ale, but with a little too much lingering bitterness for the light body and not a lot else going on. Though if you're looking on a light beer to sip on all day, it's a good'un.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

http://beerpulse.com/2012/07/bells-bourbon-barrel-aged-batch-9000-ale-approved-for-750ml-bottles/

Ughhh. Batch 9000 was a pretty great beer, I think I even have a bottle or two of it left. But this? This, if I even manage to find out day-of that Bell's has released it, is going to be a "do I want to drive two hours to buy this beer? Yes? ok let's go."

ISO Kalamazoo info hookup :/

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Sirotan posted:

http://beerpulse.com/2012/07/bells-bourbon-barrel-aged-batch-9000-ale-approved-for-750ml-bottles/

Ughhh. Batch 9000 was a pretty great beer, I think I even have a bottle or two of it left. But this? This, if I even manage to find out day-of that Bell's has released it, is going to be a "do I want to drive two hours to buy this beer? Yes? ok let's go."

Rad. I kind of like Bell's "SURPRISE! IT'S FOR SALE!" special release schedule. While it means I'm never gonna snag a bottle of, say, Black Note without paying huge, huge secondary market mark-ups, it's refreshing that a brewery doesn't pander to the release-day hounds.

I think 8,000 was my favorite of the Batch releases, but their 25th Anniversary is still one of my all-time favorite beers. I'm holding onto 2 more bottles and I have no idea how well they age. I just know I'll be very sad if I ever finish them...

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

danbanana posted:

Rad. I kind of like Bell's "SURPRISE! IT'S FOR SALE!" special release schedule. While it means I'm never gonna snag a bottle of, say, Black Note without paying huge, huge secondary market mark-ups, it's refreshing that a brewery doesn't pander to the release-day hounds.

I think 8,000 was my favorite of the Batch releases, but their 25th Anniversary is still one of my all-time favorite beers. I'm holding onto 2 more bottles and I have no idea how well they age. I just know I'll be very sad if I ever finish them...

I guess I agree, the hype has been almost non-existent for every other beer of the series besides Black Note. I managed to snag one of those through a friend of a friend, maybe I'll get lucky again this time.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Manky posted:

Don't forget to drink a lot of water today. Philly is supposed to get to around 98 or so, and don't forget that alcohol is dehydrating by itself. Be safe, have fun!

You ain't kidding. I'm holding off on booze at all for the rest of the week. I have to drive 45 minutes to the aquarium today with no air because there's a loving leak in my AC system now. I did polish off a 6 pack of Summer Love last night though, I'm glad it's easily available around here.

crazyfish posted:

I mean, I knew the price was generally in line, but even though I have no qualms with spending $15 on a random Jolly Pumpkin bomber, $30 is a lot to throw down for something I'm on the fence about, especially when I've got a few other barrel aged barleywines in my cellar (alas, no King Henry, which I would drop $70 on in a second because it was that good).

I wouldn't be opposed to potentially trading one of my Fruet's if the idea of trading $4$ sounds more appealing to you than plunking down $35.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Sirotan posted:

Be like me and call every Friday and ask them what 750ml beers they have available. In fact, call every Tuesday and let me know what they say and I'll let you know what they say.

(I just really want Bourbon Cherry Stout. Bourbon 9000 would be equally as awesome though)

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Corbet posted:

Be like me and call every Friday and ask them what 750ml beers they have available. In fact, call every Tuesday and let me know what they say and I'll let you know what they say.

(I just really want Bourbon Cherry Stout. Bourbon 9000 would be equally as awesome though)

Or be a normal functioning human instead who doesn't base his or her weekly schedule around beer

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

ShaneB posted:

Or be a normal functioning human instead who doesn't base his or her weekly schedule around beer

Ah yes, having a calendar entry in my phone to call a store on Friday mornings definitely means that I base my weekly schedule around beer.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

ShaneB posted:

:goonsay:

Anyway I'm in Austin at the moment and I would say the Black Star has stepped their game up in recent months (tho the food was always good). The Whip In never fails at being weirdly awesome too.

From here I'm off to bump around downtown/Sixth Street and drink a lot of Lone Stars with folks...

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

SUPER HASSLER posted:

:goonsay:

Anyway I'm in Austin at the moment and I would say the Black Star has stepped their game up in recent months (tho the food was always good). The Whip In never fails at being weirdly awesome too.

From here I'm off to bump around downtown/Sixth Street and drink a lot of Lone Stars with folks...

Try and stop by Easy Tiger and let me know how it is. Have heard good things.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I went to Black Star back in like March and that place was great. Food was outstanding, they had a very nice tap selection and the general ambiance and building were cool. That and Freetail in San Antonio were highlights of my trip.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants
Deviant Dale's finally in New England. Got it at a little store in NH this morning.

I love this DIPA. Tastes like a beefier Dale's, really. Big sticky and piney hops, moderate malt(e) heaviness. Also purchased a Boulder India Brown ale, which is a nice take on browns.

CalvinDooglas fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jul 6, 2012

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

CalvinDooglas posted:

moderate male heaviness

Isn't that a side effect of drinking a lot of any beer?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

CalvinDooglas posted:

moderate male heaviness.

This is even more confusing than horse blanket.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Hypnolobster posted:

This is even more confusing than horse blanket.
At least horse blanket is self explanatory, at least for anyone who has met a horse. I'm fonder of horse butt because you don't need the blanket to smell sweaty horse musk.

But I can not figure out what moderate male heaviness means and google does not help.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Jesus christ it was a typo

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

cryme posted:

Jesus christ it was a typo

Oh the fun police showed up, time to shut everything down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

zedprime posted:

At least horse blanket is self explanatory, at least for anyone who has met a horse. I'm fonder of horse butt because you don't need the blanket to smell sweaty horse musk.

But I can not figure out what moderate male heaviness means and google does not help.

(moderate malt heaviness)