Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

If you're not at the wear bar yet it would pass tech up here.

B group pace is a good bit faster than C's but if its fast enough to eat tires or not is up to you. I wouldn't worry about it too much, if I had a tire that had all the sidewall tread and the center was just about at the wear marker I'd expect to get a weekend out of it on our tracks up here on my SV. Depends what your bike is I suppose, if you're putting down 100+ HP you may chew through the center a bit faster and only get a day out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
Thanks. The bike is a second gen Tuono. I'll take it as is and see how I go. At worst I can get it changed out on site.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

GanjamonII posted:

This.. I know its immature but lapping a dude on a 1198 (1198 RS? Whichever one had all the flash carbon fiber) my old SV650 was the highlight of one of my track days, same thing for passing up a couple of guys on brand spanking new RSV4s on my Tuono.

Content: I am doing July 7th and 8th at TWS if any Texas-goons are going hit me up! Lone Star Track Days are the org this time. Super excited.

Could use some advice from the more knowledgeable:
- I am wondering if its worth throwing on the 40 tooth rear sprocket for the weekend. I like the little bit of oomph the 42 gives at street speeds but I figure the high speed nature of TWS will be better suited by a 40. I'm unsure whether there is enough of a significant difference to bother swapping it out.

- Currently have a set of Q2s on there which have probably 2-3000 miles + 1 novice class track day on them, the rear is basically just at the wear indicator in the middle and the front looks like maybe 50%.
The rear has meat left on the sides (Houston...) which is why I am considering keeping them for at least a portion of this weekend.
Does that sound like it would pass tech?
To me it feels borderline but I am hardly an authority, I've never taken tires that were this close to the wear indicator before.

Lastly, I'll be running B group for the first time this weekend, if it was C I wouldn't stress at all but I just don't know how 'fast' B is comparatively.
Any advice you would give to a first time B group rider?

If it's your first time in B group, don't go out on nearly toasted tires. If they're worn down, they're heat cycled, if they're heat cycled, they're not going to stick as well. Inevitably, you're going to get into a speed contest with someone faster than you, feed on more throttle earlier, or try and carry more speed in, on worn tires, and you're going to either have a big moment or crash. Also, if they're flat spotted in the center but still have a bunch of meat on the sides, the profile is going to be all screwed up and the bike won't have consistent traction as you hit the "peak" of the flatspotted area...which just happens to be the area that you're going to be hard on the throttle on the track, or where you're gonna be trailbraking in.

Replace the tires, ride B group, have fun. You can get crazy stuff to pass tech, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea to run it on the track. On an SV, you can get away with a lot. On a 120hp, 80 foot pound, 500 pound big bore Vtwin? Not so much.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Regarding GanjamonII's gearing question, I've found this site useful for considering new ratios:

http://www.gearingcommander.com/

Remember to factor for speedo error, ~10%. I don't know what year Tuono you have, but they're all hitting ~154mph @ 9250 rpm in 6th w/ the 42 and 161mph with a 40. It's your call.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
I'd always keep a lower gearing. Helps you get past liter bikes out of corners. If the top speed difference is 1mph it's a no-brainer.

I'd personally probably stick with the current Q2 if it's just been squared off from highway riding and take it easy in the first session to see how it goes. Granted the transition onto the flat bit is not ideal, but with the Tuono the critical thing seems to be being able to get the power down mid corner without going too sideways.

However...it's certainly prudent to get a new tyre, depends how much money you have to throw around. As you probably saw above, my Mk 1 Tuono just vaporised the back end on the track. It ate about 2-2.5mm of a used BT023 in the first two sessions, and the rest of the day took about 50% of the life out of a BT016. So if you have 1mm before the wear bars at the sides of the tyre, I doubt it's going to get you through a day.

Only things I'd emphasise in terms of moving up a group are:

1) if your objective isn't to bro it up, show everyone you heap big racer and then crash ignominiously while everyone sniggers at you, you should still be riding at your own pace and focussing on identifying a fast line and riding it accurately (and consistently so the people behind you know what you're about to do). So far so obvious, but the point is there's no reason your riding should change - going up a group just means you shouldn't get held up in the corners by wobblers because (i) probably passing rules are a bit more relaxed and (ii) the pace should be higher.

2) if you're going to try to up your pace, don't try to go fast in slow corners and don't charge your braking zones (i.e. get into a braking contest with yourself). Last trackday I did had a lot of mostly road riders, and there were more crashes in the novice group than any other. If you exclude running off the track like a muppet and having to push or ride it back onto the track, the fast group had no crashes all day IIRC. Three of the crashes in the novice group were people attempting heroics out of (and in one case into) a 150 degree, 30 mph if you're lucky hairpin. You're not going to improve your lap time meaningfully even if you succeed, and you're asking for a highside and a trip to the hospital with a smashed collar bone if you don't.

My experience is that on most tracks, especially ones with a bunch of compound corners, you can absolutely blitz a better equipped road rider of similar or greater ability if you've figured out the lines and they haven't. Unless Texan track day riders are all mad keen or the track is incredibly boring, ignoring other riders, figuring out your line and riding it will take you past 90% of people in the B group without even getting close to the Tuono's limits. It's surprising just how many road riders will go around all day and not try to find an efficient line. Other reason to do this is that following someone who looks faster than you when you're inexperienced works until he/she fucks up and you follow them off the track.

Saga fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jul 3, 2012

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
Thanks for the advice, and for the link to gearing commander. Given that I'm running 15/42 at the moment, I'll pretty much get 5mph extra out of each gear by going down to the 40 tooth.
That is probably enough for me to get around to changing it, and I think the the tires too at the same time. I don't want to deal with waiting for the track side vendor to do it while I miss a session in the middle of the day.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
How long is the front straight? Almost all racebikes are geared down because it's rare that there is a front straight long enough for you to get close to the limiter in top gear. Hitting an actual 145mph down the front straight of most tracks is highly unlikely, I'd take the shorter gearing to get better drive out of the corners. Less of an issue on big twins, but the vast majority of racebikes are running something like -1/+2 with adjustments for gearing based on corners, not top speed.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
TWS is basically a dragstrip that happens to have curves in it:

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

invision posted:

Assuming they run it clockwise, that is one long-rear end run up onto the banking. I would still stick with a lower gearing for track days with the Tuono myself to make life easier in the corners and make passing easier.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
They run it counter clockwise usually, at least that is the only way I have run it.

Like invision said, its a really fast track. The front straight is long enough that you can hit top speed, and there is guys that will carry that into turn one.

One eighteenth-thought I can't be arsed changing the gearing right now. I have the tools to do it at the track, and this is a track day only right. Not a race. Plus turns out I have enough to do on my two days off now that I wont get a chance to get tires changed anyway.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
We're riding ORP this Saturday and Sunday! Two people of our crew will be working the flag stations ($$$), hopefully they get interesting photos.

I found this clip while looking up ORP videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6GyDyFu_Ps&t=146s
GOD drat IT

Sumno rider's legs broke the guy's water reservoir!

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I'm coming for you turn 8!

Carbonate
Aug 3, 2005
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Gullous posted:

Two people of our crew will be working the flag stations ($$$), hopefully they get interesting photos.

I know it's not you that's going to be corner working, but please never ever take pics on stand during a hot track. I know, it can get kind of boring working lapping days (i've worked... tons and tons of lapping days... I know), but you've got a job to do and folks can get in just as much of a mess as they would during a proper race weekend.

Looking through a camera is not the same thing as keeping your head up... and screw the riders, bikes can do crazy things like unexpectedly launch themselves at marshal stands. I've had it happen to me a few times... I personally don't want to be looking through a viewfinder when that happens.

Carbonate fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 6, 2012

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003

invision posted:

i'm not a big fan of TWS. i suck there :(

if you wanna see nuts, check out Ty Howard at the next TWS races. he dives into turn one wide loving open. top of 6th, down the banking, through the transition, and into the turn. it's insane.

on another note, counter clockwise MSRH was awesome! favorite part of the day was the 'mad max' session. couple of us instructors went out, and for some reason everyone decided to throw down. bar banging, paint swapping, turn stuffing, good times all around. i'm kicking myself for not shooting video that session.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
here is a short vid of the ccw configuration. following some friends around.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfoHKH5nNIY

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Veritas posted:

here is a short vid of the ccw configuration. following some friends around.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfoHKH5nNIY

After this GI bill money starts rolling in, hopefully I'll be able to do the suspension on the SV and buy leathers, because this video is making me pretty jealous.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
Seeing MSRH backwards makes me feel wierd somehow.

Trip report: wooo!

Intermediate is pretty fun. I started off slow and got passed a lot, by end of the weekend felt much better, improved my riding a bunch and started passing instead of being passed. I was a lot more confident with speed, got to be smoother on the throttle and my line choice improved a lot which was one of the biggest things to give me confidence to go faster.
I learned some humility the first day, going from the fast pack in novice to bottom of the rung essentially in intermediate was good for that.
The second day with an instructor one on one was great. By the end of the day he thought I was running mid fast pack (in intermediate, not A group) which was cool to hear, though I think he was just being nice and encouraging me to pass more aggressively as I was mostly still passing by the novice class rules out of fear of causing someone else to wreck.
There is still definitely a considerable gap between where I am now and where I'd like to be, and the fast guys in intermediate let alone Expert, but I'm happy with my progress and looking forward to going back and learning more there.

The one on one instruction was really worthwhile. My instructor was an older gentleman who has been racing since before I was born (he had some stories about running against Kevin Schwantz which was pretty drat cool) and I tried to soak up anything he was telling me. One thing which I found pretty useful was working on late braking as I am still in that 'cruise around the track in my comfort zone and take my time setting up for each corner' kind of mindset rather than 'WFO until you see god, then brake turn and WFO again' kind of thing.
The first corner out after talking about that I wasn't really expecting it when he put the brakes on HARD right in front of me, pretty much soiled myself and I think spooked him a little as he went a lot easier on that afterwards. I did get _some_ practice on late braking in throughout the day and while I'm not really all that comfortable with it yet I'm working up to it.

Turns out worrying about gearing was a waste of time, the way I had it set up was fine. The tires passed tech and since they had a lot of meat left on the sides (thanks Houston roads!) they actually lasted through until lunch on the second day when I started seeing the cords come through. Apparently that isn't very common at track days as the tire vendor was kind of surprised.
In hindsight I probably should have changed them at the end of the first day, but this way I figure got my money out of them.

So I finally got my new Bridgestone S20 tires put on, and I like them but I don't know if a 1/2 day of riding is enough to write up anything on them. One thing I did notice is that they felt pretty different from brand new Q2s, the profile is more round I think. Or it could be in my head. I don't know how else to describe them yet except as pretty neutral. The turn in wasn't as fast as I was expecting coming from Q2s which is why i think the profile is rounder. Traction was always good and never really got into trouble with them. Once I put a few hundred street miles on them I'll put a review up in the tires thread.
I still managed to break them loose on corner exit once (2 or 3 sessions after I put them on so they were well scrubbed in), which I had been doing a little the previous day on the old Q2s and just attributed to them being older and heat cycled a bunch. I did feel like a bad rear end though I was more careful with throttle after that.
Felt pretty good going out with brand new tires and coming in 20 minutes later with them nicely roasted all the way to both edges. Nothing out of the ordinary for most track people here probably.

I did have one mechanical issue which was a very small radiator leak. No one had any jb weld but the onsite mechanic gave me some plastic epoxy with the warning 'this probably wont work..'. It worked well enough to get me through the rest of the weekend. Not really looking forward to cleaning that up and patching it up 'for real'. If anyone has advice on how to remove that stuff would like to hear it.

I had one 'scary' moment, apart from the aforementioned braking which took a while to get used to. I overcooked T2 (for my pace anyway) and the bike started to slip and slide out towards the edge of the track. Luckily its about 800 miles wide so I didn't go off, but it felt pretty sketchy to me at the time.
One guy got transported out after crashing but that was the worst of it. Few people went down but everyone else walked away which was nice.

Fantastic weekend, can't wait for the next time. LSTD are a great school and while its a bit more expensive, I highly recommend it. For the additional $50 to get one on one instruction in B group you really can't go wrong.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Saved a high-side this weekend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bdt9lSLyVWo&t=685s

100+ degrees on track, last session, hard throttle... luckily it worked out.

Amazing weekend, tons of video to go through.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
glad to hear you had a good time at TWS, ganja. LSTD is top notch. i'd ride more of their days if they meshed with my schedule. you and invision should come out again to one of the Fastline days. maybe this time invision won't highside. also, there are def more ccw days at MSRH planned.

pic from one the fun sessions with the other staff members. guess who's leading the pack!

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
I rode the weekend with Zool and Spiffness at ORP last weekend. Lots of fun, except for when I highsided:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijb_DneIxOw

The head instructor was leading me around, than he was going to watch me. Running the backward config, I pass him and two others out of T6, carry a ton of speed down into T5. T4 is off camber and increasing radius, and the rear steps out as I apply power. I try for too much drive as I apex T3 and apply throttle before I pick it up, and get tossed.

In retrospect, I should have pinned it to ensure it was a low slide. In a fraction of a second I go from lay'n er down to flying. Judging from the pavement marks, I flew 15-20' and bounce another 8.

I'm ok besides a swollen foot and knee. The bike is alright, except for a broken fairing stay, master cylinder, and a dented tank.

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jul 10, 2012

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Gullous posted:

I rode the weekend with Zool and Spiffness at ORP last weekend. Lots of fun, except for when I highsided:

Glad you're okay dude. That poo poo hurts.

gettinglapped.jpg :)

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Veritas posted:

glad to hear you had a good time at TWS, ganja. LSTD is top notch. i'd ride more of their days if they meshed with my schedule. you and invision should come out again to one of the Fastline days. maybe this time invision won't highside. also, there are def more ccw days at MSRH planned.

pic from one the fun sessions with the other staff members. guess who's leading the pack!

I will most definitely be doing some fast line days this year. I just need to work out when/where and I'll let y'all know!

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003

invision posted:

gettinglapped.jpg :)

you sunovabitch!

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
ORP looks like it's come a long way since I rode it a couple years ago. It didn't have curbs and the drainage was horrible as it spread dirt through some of the corners as the water drained across the track. Despite it's short comings back then it was still amazing fun.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
Running Grandsport Speedway on July 28th, if anyone is interested. track is located south of houston.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Pick me up on the way? :v:

Repost from the picture thread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOSKaF32djw

It sounds like some dude joined the wrong session and started riding WAY above his head.

Here's a battle between some of the point leaders in the local club. It's an entertaining battle but one dude definitely has more power.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TRLM5tK6ZA

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Gullous posted:

Here's a battle between some of the point leaders in the local club. It's an entertaining battle but one dude definitely has more power.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TRLM5tK6ZA

Man, Pacific really could use a new surface. Klemmer must be sitting on a grenade to pull another 600 superbike like he does at the end.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
that track looks badass.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Zool posted:

Man, Pacific really could use a new surface. Klemmer must be sitting on a grenade to pull another 600 superbike like he does at the end.

Apparently they're working on upgrading the track:

quote:

The road course, which was built for 1960s and 1970s era cars, needs to be updated to meet the higher standards of car clubs as well as current road racing vehicles. It needs to be widened, it needs more safety zones and it needs better run off in order to obtain Federal Internacional de Automobile or FIA2 sanctioning. That stamp of approval would allow for more high profile events to come to the road course.

That extra drive is huge, yea...

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Gullous posted:

Apparently they're working on upgrading the track:
Working on getting regulatory approval.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Another day at "The Ridge". Spiffness is on the black and yellow SV I catch up to at 3:40 in my video, 1:50 in his.

Me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lno-x4sr2bg

Spiff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiQM_CkAOdc

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I also put this together, showing a year of progress on our local track. Main video is one of my laps below, PIP video is fastest lap from my first track day this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPUUmkvvw_Q

The editing is terrible, mostly because I don't have a good editing suite and I lack the technical skills or time, but the point comes across. Lots of progress.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Spiffness posted:

I also put this together, showing a year of progress on our local track. Main video is one of my laps below, PIP video is fastest lap from my first track day this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPUUmkvvw_Q

The editing is terrible, mostly because I don't have a good editing suite and I lack the technical skills or time, but the point comes across. Lots of progress.
Big difference.
The related videos at the end are all bodybuilding and weight loss progress.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
:)

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
New paint is in work, but the local photog talent is pretty good

ALbum

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
My R6 seized up. I'm grateful it went out as I was pitting on my last session.

As I was pulling into my pit the engine made a lovely sound, like a terrible pinging. I killed the engine, waited, and tried to turn it over. Nothing. Rear wheel won't turn, even in 6th.

Time to tear into it...

Worst double post ever!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Gullous posted:

My R6 seized up. I'm grateful it went out as I was pitting on my last session.
lovely way to end a track day but of all the places for it to seize at the track it picked the best one.

Since I'm an idiot I've been looking at picking up a mid 90's 125gp bike. Sure I have a perfectly good SV for the track but for some reason a 160lb two stroke seems like it would be a blast.

Friend is offering to trade the one his son races for a '09+ Ninja 250...so I'm also now shopping for a ninja 250.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
MSR Houston on Sept. 15th, any takers? hoping to run CCW since it was awesome, but no decision on final configuration yet. i might be able to help out with a discount. i wanna ride so bad.

• Locked thread