Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Noni posted:

If you don't want to go back and forth in 3 rounds of polite waving, here's a tip: Point, rather than wave, when you're telling someone to go. If you wave, everyone's first instinct is to wave back like trained monkeys. If you point, they just go.

Please don't do this. Pointing is a turn signal. Let's not mix up the meaning of that in the mind of the average driver, okay?

"But officer, the guy on the bike was pointing left as he approached the intersection. I thought he was sending me across; how was I supposed to know he was planning to keep going and make a left turn?"

(Scrapes biker's guts off road)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Noni posted:

If you don't want to go back and forth in 3 rounds of polite waving, here's a tip: Point, rather than wave, when you're telling someone to go. If you wave, everyone's first instinct is to wave back like trained monkeys. If you point, they just go.

:confused: I have never had someone mistake my "go ahead" wave for a "hi! :iamafag:" wave.
And also what Powered Descent said.
Wave your hand in the direction of their turn, or in a "c'mere" motion if they are heading towards you. It does not look like a hello wave.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

alnilam posted:

:confused: I have never had someone mistake my "go ahead" wave for a "hi! :iamafag:" wave.
And also what Powered Descent said.
Wave your hand in the direction of their turn, or in a "c'mere" motion if they are heading towards you. It does not look like a hello wave.

I'll go one further than the two of you and say enough with all the loving waving through.

There are pretty well-established rules in every situation about who yields and who should just go. Making an assessment of every situation, or thinking you're being nice by letting someone else go, just slows everything down for everyone. There are state statutes that are a little different, and some states have more comprehensive rules about things like "blocking the box" or whatnot, but I'm pretty sure that in every state that I've driven in, the "solution" to the given example is that the car turning left yields to the car going straight.

My personal most hated wave-through is when I am stopped to turn left onto a road and someone else is driving along the road and turning left onto the road I am on. It is not acceptable to stop to the right of me and wave me in before turning and it usually takes longer to do the whole wave-recognize-go than it would have been to just drive past them and turn left. (The exception to this, that I do, and appreciate others doing, is when you let someone in in front of you in a heavy traffic situation where they aren't getting in until someone lets them in. )

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I'm having a tough time with picking the right bulbs for my home office. It's downstairs and doesn't get a ton of natural light (just one window). Now I plan to go with CFL bulbs but I'm not sure which "temperature" I should be going with. I currently use the standard 2700K which is fine I guess, but I'm wondering if I should be going with something that is higher such as a "Cool White" that wouldn't be as yellow.

Does anyone know anything about home lighting? Am I overthinking this and should just go with the normal warm light bulbs?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I've never, ever heard of anyone other than the car that gets to the intersection first having the right of way. I'm in California now and have also lived in Virginia.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Niwrad posted:

I'm having a tough time with picking the right bulbs for my home office. It's downstairs and doesn't get a ton of natural light (just one window). Now I plan to go with CFL bulbs but I'm not sure which "temperature" I should be going with. I currently use the standard 2700K which is fine I guess, but I'm wondering if I should be going with something that is higher such as a "Cool White" that wouldn't be as yellow.

Does anyone know anything about home lighting? Am I overthinking this and should just go with the normal warm light bulbs?

Unless you are doing something that requires color matching (creating or looking at artwork, for instance), then I don't think there is any need to get anything other than the cheapest bulb.
And if you did get a different bulb for that, it wouldn't be cool white. There is also some evidence it is unhealthy to your eyes or your mental state. I am not saying it is, but there is evidence.

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I've never, ever heard of anyone other than the car that gets to the intersection first having the right of way. I'm in California now and have also lived in Virginia.
The example was for when two cars arrive at the same time.

edit: Nope. I'm wrong, you're right. I also am not familiar with any place where the first car yields ever. I missed the question and it doesn't matter where anyone is turning in that example. I just assumed it was about when both cars get there at the same time, since that is what usually confuses people.

vv

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 6, 2012

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Very Strange Things posted:

The example was for when two cars arrive at the same time.

Manslaughter posted:

Who has right of way, if the blue car arrived at the intersection first?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I've always been of the mind that whoever gets there 1st goes 1st but if 2 arrive at the same time, the pink one or whoever's not turning left goes 1st.

I think they said this in my driver's-ed but they also said something about 2 cars getting there at the same time, "whoever's on the right" has right of way and I don't even know what that means when you're facing each other.

Also if you are turning left, got there 1st, but it was very close who got there 1st, you should probably yield to the non-left-turner.

I point people in the eyes then motion the direction they're wanting to go when I'm indicating my yieldness.

edit: and if you're both going straight opposiing each other, does the law say to go one at a time? or can you both go at once? It irritates me like hell when people don't both go at once (most people do) when opposing each other in heavy traffic.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 6, 2012

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
I've heard the pointing thing is more effective as well because it's more authoritative and direct.

Also, whoever arrives first gets to go first regardless. I think at least a full second of arriving first is a distinction (assuming that neither of you only do rolling stops or generally not bad drivers). If it's too close to call, then it's safer for the going-straight driver to go first.

I also generally find that old people and soccer moms are bad at going first when it's clearly their right-of-way.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I was always under the impression that left-turners (in right-side driving countries) are the lowest priority for right of way.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Wagonburner posted:

edit: and if you're both going straight opposiing each other, does the law say to go one at a time? or can you both go at once? It irritates me like hell when people don't both go at once (most people do) when opposing each other in heavy traffic.

I think you can both go at once, but inevitably you end up with someone who forgets to use a turn signal and you both go at once and they turn in front of you and honk. Both going at once also can lead to confusion if there's a line at both sides and it causes confusion with the "arrived first" rule, rather than a back and forth where it's easy to tell who's turn it is to go.

Coffee Wolf
Oct 12, 2007

Mmmmm Banana
Here in CT it's

CT DMV manual posted:

Where vehicles or pedestrians are likely to meet one another and there are no signs or signals to regulate traffic, there are rules
that dictate which driver must yield the right-of-way. These rules tell who goes first and who must wait in different traffic situations.
The law says who must yield the right-of-way. It does not give anyone the right-of-way. You must do everything you can to prevent
striking a pedestrian or another vehicle, regardless of the circumstances.
The following “right-of-way” rules apply:
• You must obey signals given by a law enforcement officer, even if the officerʼs signals contradict the traffic signal.
• Drivers must yield the right-of-way at all times to pedestrians who are in a marked or unmarked crosswalk.
• Pedestrians using a guide dog or carrying a white cane have absolute right-of-way. Do not use your horn because it
could confuse or frighten the pedestrian
Drivers turning left must yield to oncoming vehicles going straight.
• Drivers entering a traffic circle or rotary must yield to drivers already in the circle.
• At an intersection where there is no stop sign, yield sign or oncoming traffic signal, drivers must yield to vehicles coming
from the right.
At a four-way stop, the driver reaching the intersection first goes first (after coming to a complete stop). If more than
one vehicle arrives at the same time, the vehicle on the right goes first.

• Drivers entering a road from a driveway, alley or roadside must yield to vehicles already on the main road.
• Drivers may not enter an intersection unless they can get through it without having to stop. You should wait until traffic
ahead clears so that you are not blocking the intersection.
• Drivers overtaking a vehicle traveling in the same direction must yield to that vehicle, even if the vehicle is slowing or
coming to a stop.
• You must yield the right-of-way to a police vehicle, fire engine, ambulance or other emergency vehicle using a siren, air
horn or a red or blue flashing light. When you see or hear an emergency vehicle approaching from any direction you
must pull over to the right edge of the road, or as near to the right as possible, and stop your vehicle. You must remain
stopped until the emergency vehicle has passed, unless otherwise directed by a State or local police officer or a fire
fighter. If you are in an intersection, drive through the intersection before you pull over.
• You must stop for a school bus that is stopped with its red lights flashing whether it is on your side of the road, the
opposite side of the road, or at an intersection you are approaching. You are not required to stop if the bus is traveling
towards you and a median or other physical barrier separates the roadway. After the school busʼ red lights have
stopped flashing, watch for children along the side of the road and do not proceed until they have completely left the
roadway and it is safe to proceed.
You must yield the right-of-way to trains crossing the roadway.

That last one is a good idea for sure.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Wedemeyer posted:

The power button on my ipod touch is stuck. As in it's pressed down completely, while the black plastic part of the button is loose and can move up/down and back and forth.

Is there a way to fix this, or somehow make the home button the power button? Otherwise I can't ever turn it off.
Settings, general, accessibility, assistivetouch let's you use a screen icon to trigger the sleep button. But if you have a screen timeout set to anything except "never" you really don't have to worry about it.

You can get the parts to replace it from places like ifixit but it's a huge pain in the rear end. I assume it's old and out of warranty so those are pretty much your options I think.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Coffee Wolf posted:

Here in CT it's
There's one additional odd case: If you're making a U-turn at a green arrow, you may have to yield the right of way to people turning right on the side road (who will have a green arrow'd right turn).

Probably the main thing to remember with vehicle vs. vehicle right of way is that drivers staying in a lane pretty much always take priority over someone entering or crossing the lane. This applies to on-ramps, yields, left turns, traffic circles, lane changes, and passing, so just keeping that in mind should go far.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 6, 2012

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Coffee Wolf posted:

Here in CT it's

That last one is a good idea for sure.

The catch here is that it's not a 4 way stop, making your 2nd bolded point not apply. It's actually a very busy intersection too, meaning that if you get a chance to go you loving go because you won't have another for a couple minutes.

Getting a lot of conflicting opinions here. General consensus is that car Blue should go if he gets there first. I think I'll keep the turn straighter so I'll at least not be in front of car Pink if he decides to try his luck anyway.

Coffee Wolf
Oct 12, 2007

Mmmmm Banana

Manslaughter posted:

Assume an intersection like this:

2 3

4 way intersection, Ah Ah Ah

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

First to the intersection always wins. It goes people without a stop sign > person who got there first > person going straight/right > person going left > if there is still a question, then it's person on the right wins, although this will end up being pretty rare.

Jesus, I don't even drive anymore and remember this.

Actual question : where the hell do you park at the White House? Like, let's say you're the dude who cuts the hedges in the back or some other job where you don't live on site, where do you park? Is there a lot behind the place that no-one photographs? It seems silly to make people park on the street. Where does the executive under-speechwriter park?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I read once that they park nearby and that there's an underground tunnel that goes to the White House... I can't really remember many details but I think it was from a Tom Clancy novel and gently caress this is a useless comment, sorry.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Xiahou Dun posted:

Jesus, I don't even drive anymore and remember this.

That's what you "remember" but the fact is that there's a lot of unwritten rules of the road because obviously the DMV training pamphlet would read like war and peace if the covered even some of the outlier situations.

If some DMV manual has it then more power to ya but I have never seen specific cases like that described. I think they are more about "yielding" and once one person enters the intersection it is the others job to yield even if they think they should have gone first. Many times you'll come to an intersection like the one posted and find and entry, yet be the second to arrive and the other won't go. I don't think it's your job to wait until the other driver feels comfortable enough to actually go. Once you enter the intersection *first* they need to yield. (not legal advice)

Of course this leads to many a drama for police and insurance companies but it's pretty much the way it is. Not to mention people who think that they got there first so they get to decide when it's safe for everyone to go.

E: A good example of "yielding" would be if someone blows a stop sign and you enter the intersection before it "is clear" and broadside them, you may not get the ticket but you have a good chance of being found at fault insurance wise for not waiting until the intersection was clear before going.

ChubbyEmoBabe fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jul 7, 2012

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Those are entirely valid points : however, the question was about the written rules of the road, so I feel no particular need to talk about the unwritten ones. And yes, I suppose I could've phrased it in the sense of yielding, but it's more easily understood the other way and I was trying to be explicit. Because I was answering a question.

The rest of your post is of, at best, questionable relevance. Yes, you should generally avoid hitting cars. I think most people would agree with that statement. It is unwritten, but there is also no explicit mention in the driving regulations about not firing automatic firearms into your roof, despite it obviously being less than desirable.

He asked about who had right of way, and I'm very sorry that actually answering the question interfered with whatever loving voodoo logic you use to drive.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
^^^ I think the point was -- here's the rule, but don't expect everyone to follow it if you try to use it

Yeah, at any traffic situation that is less than clear cut, assume the worst of people and beware of idiocy. About 40% of the time, people ignore the yield while I'm in roundabout and blow into where I would be if I carried speed. Of course I have to let them have their way.

Which is why I don't believe in stuff like this:

Dudebro posted:

I've heard the pointing thing is more effective as well because it's more authoritative and direct.

People are too retarded to understand things consistently. Just pay attention and be ready to react.

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know
Ooops... misunderstood a question.

when worlds collide fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jul 7, 2012

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Remember we are talking about at a stop sign where both people have to stop.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!
I used to be able to hold my alcohol pretty well, up until about a month ago, when I drank too much beer and threw up my dinner. Now just thinking of alcohol makes me sick, and the little bit of bourbon I had earlier tonight has totally unsettled my stomach.

Am I broken? Has anyone else had this problem?

Edit: It's so bad right now that I'm breaking out in sweats.

Raimundus fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jul 7, 2012

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
No, it's pretty normal to feel that way about poo poo that has made you throw up before. I had a bad batch of ceviche like a year ago and it took me a long time to be able to eat it again.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
My dad lost the ability to drink without getting extremely ill when my brother was a baby, so it can happen. It might come back, it might not, it's not uncommon, though.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
There's a famous case of an asian-american who was beaten to death in a hate crime. Anyone remember his name?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Raimundus posted:

I used to be able to hold my alcohol pretty well, up until about a month ago, when I drank too much beer and threw up my dinner. Now just thinking of alcohol makes me sick, and the little bit of bourbon I had earlier tonight has totally unsettled my stomach.

If you used to regularly drink a lot of alcohol, and have had a sudden change in your alcohol tolerance, it might be a sign of serious liver damage. You might want to bring it up with a doctor.

Psychorider
May 15, 2009

Xandu posted:

There's a famous case of an asian-american who was beaten to death in a hate crime. Anyone remember his name?

Vincent Chin?

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

Gravity Pike posted:

If you used to regularly drink a lot of alcohol, and have had a sudden change in your alcohol tolerance, it might be a sign of serious liver damage. You might want to bring it up with a doctor.

I drank very occasionally, maybe once every two weeks at most, and had been drunk maybe twice or thrice before. Now I can't drink at all.

Also, I'm only 22. It's a little early for cirrhosis.

Raimundus fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jul 7, 2012

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Raimundus posted:

I drank very occasionally, maybe once every two weeks at most, and had been drunk maybe twice or thrice before. Now I can't drink at all.

I believe it's possible to develop an intolerance to alcohol, or at least an allergy to some ingredients in alcoholic beverages, even if you were not intolerant before (this is apparently more common if you happen to be Asian). It could also be a symptom of something more serious, though. You could ask in the Goon Doctor, but a real doctor would probably be better.

Also could just be this, though:

An observer posted:

No, it's pretty normal to feel that way about poo poo that has made you throw up before. I had a bad batch of ceviche like a year ago and it took me a long time to be able to eat it again.

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jul 7, 2012

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Raimundus posted:

This doesn't answer your question but for what it's worth: I'm 42 and if I could go back and make this happen to my 22-year-old self I'd pay or give up quite a bit for it. I'm not an alcoholic, but I can say with certainty being able to drink a lot without many obvious side effects like feeling ill or hangovers has never brought me a good thing and has more than a few times brought me bad things. Statistically speaking, that "ability" will bring more bad than good as I age, even if I don't drink another drop. I can still (even increasingly so) easily drink a lot without much (apparent) ill-effect, partially thanks to tending towards higher quality / multiple-times-distilled liquors rather than beers, wine, and cheap or sweet drinks, but more and more I'd really rather just drink less or even no alcohol. Maybe that does make me an alcoholic, in a sense v:shobon:v pass the bombay sapphire...

I'm not so old as to have forgotten that my mindset was very different in my 20's, nor am I naive enough to think you'll think the same or even similarly in 20 years. I did seem to take pleasure in drinking like a fish fairly often back then and even into my 30's but, in retrospect, it wasn't really the booze so much as the boozing atmosphere that was fun, and many of my friends managed to revel in the fun with somewhat less actual alcohol consumption than I (some with none at all, some with much more -- those harder drinkers are all dead or close enough to it by now.) Anyway, from where I'm standing now, I'm having a hard time understanding exactly why I wanted to drink much. I think, in a way, I was more broken then myself than you think you may be now, and it's a bit of an eye opener to read your post and think about it from various perspectives throughout the years. So yeah, thanks for that.

Also, you can get cirrhosis and die from it even at your age if your liver is wimpy. Have you been tested for hepatitis C? I'm just kidding you're probably fine. (Or dying painflully and slowly :ohdear:)

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Yep, that's it. Thanks

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

randyest posted:

Also, you can get cirrhosis and die from it even at your age if your liver is wimpy. Have you been tested for hepatitis C? I'm just kidding you're probably fine. (Or dying painflully and slowly :ohdear:)

Doc said I was healthy last year. I may mention this to her during my next physical, though.

SlightButSteady
Sep 13, 2007

Soiled Meat
Being repulsed by alcohol long after a big spew session is quite common. And there's also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taste_aversion

quote:

Humans might also develop aversions to certain types of alcohol because of vomiting during intoxication.

cucka
Nov 4, 2009

TOUCHDOWN DETROIT LIONS
Sorry about all
the bad posting.
OK, not thread worthy yet, but here goes.

I kinda accidentally started a private investigation into a homicide in my small town.

http://www.uppermichiganssource.com/news/story.aspx?id=752707

I feel really weird even doing something like this. Half of me says that I should just leave the cops to do their job, that this is something psychos do. I spent the past hour convincing myself I was crazy for even bothering to ask anyone, but I think my town has a serious problem on it's hands with this one, and I think independent effort is what it will take to crack the nut.

But half of me can't help but think, "Someone has to know something." To be cold about it, I'm broke and there's $6,000 reward for meaningful information. To be human about it, a 26 year old man was murdered. I have actually started interviewing a few people related to the case (god that feels weird to say) and got some meaningful information to follow up on.

I'm posting this here because, obviously, this is a probative effort, and not something that will go anywhere. But is there anyone here who knows about pointers for questioning people? I mean deep specifics, lying facial tics, ways to lead questions properly, dealing with people who have criminal histories and are fearful of exposure especially, as the victim is probably tied to the drug community, either negatively or positively.

I'm not really sure if this is even the right place to do something like this. But it won't stop loving eating at me that someone who killed a man within a block of where I slept at the time, possibly passed right outside my bedroom window for that matter, is walking free and sleeping in a warm bed and isn't in jail for loving killing somebody.

Any advice for dealing with this kind of situation would be helpful. Thanks for your patience.

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.
I'm trying to remember from where I've heard this anecdote, does anyone know? It goes a little something like this...

A Russian peasant and his wife are walking on a dusty road in Tatar controlled Russia, when a Mongol warrior rides up to them and says: "Hello, friend. I'm going to rape your wife. I want you to hold my balls while I do it so they don't get dusty." Well, there's nothing the peasant can do to defend himself, so it happens, the Mongol rapes the wife and the peasant holds his balls. However, when the deed is done and the rapist rides off, the peasant starts laughing uncontrollably. "Why are you laughing? I was just raped!" says the wife. The peasant responds: "I did it! I made sure he got dust on his balls!"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

cucka posted:

I think independent effort is what it will take to crack the nut.

This never works in the real world. At best you will waste the police's time and at worst you will destroy evidence or somehow foul up their investigation for good. Whatever story you're thinking of that inspired you to consider this is fictional. If you really think you found something relevant to the case already, submit it to the police and then leave it alone, you're not going to stay one step ahead of them the whole way and catch the murderer yourself.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

:qq: Beer betrayed me.

Thanks for the help, guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Raimundus posted:

Are you Asian, by any chance?