Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Another one I used to do, especially if I was lagging or just felt like being a poo poo.

In Team Fortress Classic the classes you see in TF2 are there but were a bit different. The medic for example could heal players by getting a melee hit on them with their little medipad thingie. On the flip side if you hit an enemy it infected them with some kind of incurable disease. The disease will always eventually kill you, though you can boost your health up to extend your life. Generally it does about 6-10 points of damage every 3 seconds or so. The only way to cure it was for the other team to get a medic and cure it, or for them to die. The rub is that it's entirely communicable; if you rub up against a friendly player you infect them as well!

Getting health from spawn doesn't fix it, nor does grabbing health powerups. So! Why not stand in spawn while infected ensuring that you'll have MAX health and that everyone who spawns is bound to bump into you. Spreading the black plague among team mates is a pretty good grief. Even better if you get the other team in on it to get an infection going.

Another thing you can do is lie in wait near enemy spawns or sniping positions and infect players, then run away. This means they have to kill you to rid themselves of it, or become medics themselves. It was such a silly thing to have in the game, but nothing like finding someone on a large map all alone, bumping up against them and sealing their fate!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NextWish
Sep 19, 2002

In Day-Z, on some servers there is the 'side-chat' communication channel which can be used to broadcast text or voice globally through the entire server. Whilst broadcasting it will display the username of whomever is transmitting.

So here is the trick, create a blank character profile (hold ALT, press 0160 on numpad) and then broadcast your favourite youtube clip such as:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsSwvh4npMQ

Due to a bug in the way the game handles playernames, you will not show up in the playerlist, thus will be unable to be muted. Also it will not show who is broadcasting. Sit back and watch the server fill with rage.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
The original Team Fortress, as well as Team Fortress Classic, were a lot of fun because of how many things you could mess around with. It had a design philosophy of "let's see how many cool things we can cram into the game" instead of "let's make a carefully balanced competitive multiplayer experience" like its sequel. Spies had tranquilizer guns, which did a small amount of damage and made your target move quite slowly. They also had gas grenades, which would fill a large area with a gas that would persist for a fairly long time, cause a small amount of damage, and make the players that walked through it hallucinate, which would cause them to hear random noises, see fake explosions, and make things quite annoying until it wore off. Combining those two tools, you could fill the other team's spawn room with the gas, then tranquilize and run away from anyone who decided to come after you. You wouldn't get many kills, but it was extremely annoying for the other team to be hallucinating and tranquilized for most of the game.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
They've patched Doomsday like 2 or 3 times now and the death pit is still there. I think it's on purpose for griefing for sure now. Today I stepped up my game and got a team mate to jump in and kill himself while he was holding the intel. I was guarding him and he was like "gently caress, where do I go?" over team, so I said "Follow me" and jumped in. He followed even though I died before he jumped. It was hilarious.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

NextWish posted:

In Day-Z, on some servers there is the 'side-chat' communication channel which can be used to broadcast text or voice globally through the entire server. Whilst broadcasting it will display the username of whomever is transmitting.

So here is the trick, create a blank character profile (hold ALT, press 0160 on numpad) and then broadcast your favourite youtube clip such as:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsSwvh4npMQ

Due to a bug in the way the game handles playernames, you will not show up in the playerlist, thus will be unable to be muted. Also it will not show who is broadcasting. Sit back and watch the server fill with rage.

The video linked to this, which is probably a far better option https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQBH-LhJuOc

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I got a "video must be purchased to be viewed." I have never seen that one before.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

I think occasionally broadcasting something like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdYlmamudFo
would be a lot more effective in getting the server to freak the gently caress out

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

They've patched Doomsday like 2 or 3 times now and the death pit is still there. I think it's on purpose for griefing for sure now. Today I stepped up my game and got a team mate to jump in and kill himself while he was holding the intel. I was guarding him and he was like "gently caress, where do I go?" over team, so I said "Follow me" and jumped in. He followed even though I died before he jumped. It was hilarious.

It's actually where the rocket exhaust blows you to kill you for that round end achievement. You know that big funny looking pipe at the other end from the pit? Stand there when the rocket launches for a fun time.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
gently caress. I've been trying to blast them under the rocket. Still, if they didn't want people to grief with it, they'd have it only open when the rocket launches.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The video linked to this, which is probably a far better option https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQBH-LhJuOc

Wow, I didn't realize how long it would take to count that high. Though he could just be a slow counter, but still. It'd be a month of straight counting to get to 1,000,000 :psyduck:

Dyatlov Bass
Apr 16, 2012

by Fistgrrl
While we're posting broadcast suggestions, how about convincing them that the virus has turned the server into a SENTIENT. BEING.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzzqFFKwOik

(I'm kidding, there's a battery backup)

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I think it'd be funnier to do sounds from the actual game so they can't tell if it's the broadcast or if there's a zombie behind them.

NextWish
Sep 19, 2002

There are a heap of scripting cheats available in Day-Z, the latest server-side patch contains logic to fight back against people who spawn illegitimate vehicles.

dayz_server\system\server_cleanup.fsm:

quote:

"//Check for hackers" \n
" {" \n
" if(vehicle _x != _x && !(vehicle _x in dayz_serverObjectMonitor)) then {" \n
" diag_log (""CLEANUP: KILLING A HACKER "" + (name _x) + "" "" + str(_x) + "" IN "" + (typeOf vehicle _x));" \n
" (vehicle _x) setDamage 1;" \n
" _x setDamage 1;" \n
" };" \n
" } forEach allUnits;" \n
"" \n

Which works out to be, if the vehicle was spawned outside of Day-Z game mechanics then make the vehicle explode as soon as any player jumps in. Which means that you can spawn hacked vehicles in a highly populated town (Cherno), announce their location via side-chat and watch as pubbies run towards the vehicles which are set to explode as soon as they climb in. Added bonus: the pubbies which climb in will get their names added to the Battle-Eye log and recorded as a cheater/hacker with their cd-key marked for possible bans.

NextWish fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 7, 2012

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Good lord that mod is just a trainwreck of terrible anti-griefing measures.

I love it. :munch:

wuat
Jul 12, 2009

NextWish posted:

There are a heap of scripting cheats available in Day-Z, the latest server-side patch contains logic to fight back against people who spawn illegitimate vehicles.

dayz_server\system\server_cleanup.fsm:

Which works out to be, if the vehicle was spawned outside of Day-Z game mechanics then make the vehicle explode as soon as any player jumps in. Which means that you can spawn hacked vehicles in a highly populated town (Cherno), announce their location via side-chat and watch as pubbies run towards the vehicles which are set to explode as soon as they climb in. Added bonus: the pubbies which climb in will get their names added to the Battle-Eye log and recorded as a cheater/hacker with their cd-key marked for possible bans.

I've been having a ton of fun just turning everybody in the server into a dog or a priest and making them do pushups and stupid poo poo, it gets them extremely mad for whatever reason, but once they reconnect everything is completely fixed and all their stuff is back

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Is there a reason they don't just remove/disable the scripting thing? Is it because they are dumb/arma is dumb?

I mean, it's glorious, but still. :munch:

NextWish
Sep 19, 2002

SpookyLizard posted:

Is there a reason they don't just remove/disable the scripting thing? Is it because they are dumb/arma is dumb?

Typical game-engines work as rule enforcers with clearly defined server/client roles with immutable logic. ARMA2 works as a bull-horn where clients can inject/modify any game logic and then the server propagates the changes to all clients connected. Basically the game is designed for trusted environments (LAN) only, thus is a prime target for internet griefing. Every aspect of the engine is scriptable - if you can imagine it, you can do it.

"I hope I don't loose all my poo poo because a bird doesn't have a backpack"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0arRBf-eQo

NextWish fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jul 7, 2012

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
If you're looking to annoy/freak out people via youtube clips I don't think you can go wrong with the whale song numbers station. Some samples:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgF9ZlI_R-8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGjoEvEPtvU

NextWish
Sep 19, 2002

Buried alive posted:

If you're looking to annoy/freak out people via youtube clips I don't think you can go wrong with the whale song numbers station. Some samples:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgF9ZlI_R-8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGjoEvEPtvU

nickleback also works really well.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal
Man, I hope ArmA gets marked down if the steam sale happens. Script Weird poo poo And Get Screamed At : The Game sounds like a blast.

NextWish posted:

nickleback also works really well.

But some people like nickelback. If we're talking low-effort audio griefing, gotta go for the gold and play something that will piss everyone off:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYP0VtWj8Zg

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Jastiger posted:

Another thing you can do is lie in wait near enemy spawns or sniping positions and infect players, then run away. This means they have to kill you to rid themselves of it, or become medics themselves. It was such a silly thing to have in the game, but nothing like finding someone on a large map all alone, bumping up against them and sealing their fate!

Killing a medic didn't cure anything. The only way to get cured was to have a friendly medic treat you. If your team didn't have one you were out of luck. Sneaking up and infecting snipers was the best part of that game. It's the reason I still use a name with "Dr." in it.

Rixen
Feb 18, 2005

Have you had your Reich today?
On the topic of Metal Gear Solid's homoerotic tendencies...

In the PSP game MGS: Peace Walker (one of the best MGS games) there's a special bonus mission where you can hang out on a beach with one of the game's petite female characters and "date" her in the way that yelling voice commands at her counts as small talk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKIRIeKADUI

...And then there's another version of the mission that replaces her with your male war buddy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwVPfF8Ir1g

On the subject of griefing, here's another career TTT griefer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJHYOiRQol0

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Dr_Amazing posted:

Killing a medic didn't cure anything. The only way to get cured was to have a friendly medic treat you. If your team didn't have one you were out of luck. Sneaking up and infecting snipers was the best part of that game. It's the reason I still use a name with "Dr." in it.

You're right, I knew that. I meant they have to kill themselves:)

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Rixen posted:

...And then there's another version of the mission that replaces her with your male war buddy.

Ahaha, holy loving poo poo. I take back everything bad I said about you, Kojima.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Dauntasa posted:

Ahaha, holy loving poo poo. I take back everything bad I said about you, Kojima.

This is amazing. It's not even a little bit subtle.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Dr_Amazing posted:

This is amazing. It's not even a little bit subtle.
Kojima is everything but a subtle guy.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Rixen posted:

On the topic of Metal Gear Solid's homoerotic tendencies...

In the PSP game MGS: Peace Walker (one of the best MGS games) there's a special bonus mission where you can hang out on a beach with one of the game's petite female characters and "date" her in the way that yelling voice commands at her counts as small talk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKIRIeKADUI

These are so much better than anything in Mass Effect.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

NextWish posted:

Typical game-engines work as rule enforcers with clearly defined server/client roles with immutable logic. ARMA2 works as a bull-horn where clients can inject/modify any game logic and then the server propagates the changes to all clients connected. Basically the game is designed for trusted environments (LAN) only, thus is a prime target for internet griefing. Every aspect of the engine is scriptable - if you can imagine it, you can do it.

"I hope I don't loose all my poo poo because a bird doesn't have a backpack"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0arRBf-eQo

Arma is the best worst game.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Anybody else ever play/grief Face of Mankind?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Crasscrab posted:

Anybody else ever play/grief Face of Mankind?

Man, Face of Mankind. Yeah, I played. Does the FDC military coup count as griefing? Cause I was part of that.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Dauntasa posted:

Man, Face of Mankind. Yeah, I played. Does the FDC military coup count as griefing? Cause I was part of that.

I haven't played in like, a year or so? But I guess it might, although in-game politics are supposed to be player driven so I don't know if you'd consider that griefing.

A griefing I took part in was the dance party massacre on Aurelia. The story behind this is that some friends of mine and myself found out the guy that was hosting the Face of Mankind intent radio channel (I think his name was DJ Max?) was throwing a party in the Willertons club on Aurelia. We went to check it out and found like some twenty people dancing around. It was pretty stupid so we decided we'd make the party more interesting. We left and returned a couple minutes later with some party supplies in the form of grenades. Tossing them all over the place in the midst of the dancing morons we managed to kill around 5 or 6 of them. But the best part was when DJ Max ran into the bathroom, only to be chased after by your's truly and ganked mercilessly. LED (the game's law enforcement faction) was called in to provide security, forming a human barrier in front of the club entrance. A couple of us still managed to get through and commit some more ganking, though.

Another fun thing to do was piss off the LED guards at DeMorgan's Castle, which was the in-game prison. There was this gate thing and the newbie LED officers would be assigned to stand guard at it. There would often be a bunch of people hanging around the area outside of the gate because it was a pretty safe place to go afk at since LED was always watching: that is until somebody like myself and my friends started pissing the guards off to the point that they started shooting anybody around.

Darkman Fanpage fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 7, 2012

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Crasscrab posted:

I haven't played in like, a year or so? But I guess it might, although in-game politics are supposed to be player driven so I don't know if you'd consider that griefing.

A griefing I took part in was the dance party massacre on Aurelia. The story behind this is that some friends of mine and myself found out the guy that was hosting the Face of Mankind intent radio channel (I think his name was DJ Max?) was throwing a party in the Willertons club on Aurelia. We went to check it out and found like some twenty people dancing around. It was pretty stupid so we decided we'd make the party more interesting. We left and returned a couple minutes later with some party supplies in the form of grenades. Tossing them all over the place in the midst of the dancing morons we managed to kill around 5 or 6 of them. But the best part was when DJ Max ran into the bathroom, only to be chased after by your's truly and ganked mercilessly. LED (the game's law enforcement faction) was called in to provide security, forming a human barrier in front of the club entrance. A couple of us still managed to get through and commit some more ganking, though.

Another fun thing to do was piss off the LED guards at DeMorgan's Castle, which was the in-game prison. There was this gate thing and the newbie LED officers would be assigned to stand guard at it. There would often be a bunch of people hanging around the area outside of the gate because it was a pretty safe place to go afk at since LED was always watching: that is until somebody like myself and my friends started pissing the guards off to the point that they started shooting anybody around.
I think that was more than a year ago. The griefing bit was that the FDC(military) was supposed to always be allied with the LED(police) and subservient to the Senate, but one day the FDC leader snuck a pistol into the Senate chamber, shot all the senators, and then ordered everyone to attack the LED, which we did, and many tears were harvested before eventually, after months of war, the developers just banned the FDC general who started it all.

Oppenheimer
Dec 26, 2011

by Smythe
I wish that a) more games were like that and b) the eve online admins were the admins for all games.

A griefing Paradise.

A current grief in BF3 allows you to jump in an invulnerable tank and become a godmode killing machine, unfortunately your own team can still hurt it, but it counts as Killed By Admin and doesn't give you a death. The glitch also works by letting you spawn on an ally as an enemy, allowing you to warp around behind different players and instantly knife them without ever truly dying.

You can also rip around in invulnerable choppers, allowing you to sit there and maniacally laugh as tank shells and RPGs bounce off.

Oh and the best part? Only admins can make it happen, so on goon servers the pubs can't even get us back.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Dauntasa posted:

I think that was more than a year ago. The griefing bit was that the FDC(military) was supposed to always be allied with the LED(police) and subservient to the Senate, but one day the FDC leader snuck a pistol into the Senate chamber, shot all the senators, and then ordered everyone to attack the LED, which we did, and many tears were harvested before eventually, after months of war, the developers just banned the FDC general who started it all.

Haha, yes, I remember this! I think I rolling through DMG with the FDC.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Dauntasa posted:

Kojima is great. Metal Gear Solid 2 was originally going to be called Metal Gear Solid 3 just to gently caress with people.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I would ask for a source on that, if I didn't want so desperately to believe it, and if the truth mattered at all.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Crasscrab posted:

Haha, yes, I remember this! I think I rolling through DMG with the FDC.

Funniest thing was that the FDC was so much better than the LED. The LED were easily the most incompetent faction while the FDC was one of the better ones, so we loving steamrolled them until the developers begged us to stop, which we did, but only briefly before continuing. By the end the FDC's only allies were the CMG, which had no people in it and was generally ignored by everyone, but we kept winning.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Doc Hawkins posted:

I would ask for a source on that, if I didn't want so desperately to believe it, and if the truth mattered at all.

Wikipedia

quote:

Kojima's original design document for the game was completed in January 1999;[75] it was later made publically available several years later and then translated into English in 2006.[76] It mentioned that the game was originally going to be called Metal Gear Solid III to symbolize Manhattan's three tallest skyscrapers at the time and that Raiden was designed as "a character in which women can more easily empathize."[75][76]

Bolding mine. Not "just to gently caress with people" but still a somewhat bizarre decision for the second Metal Gear Solid game.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Dauntasa posted:

I have never heard of this game, but whoever the random guy was that decided to do that is my internet hero. :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Dauntasa posted:

A true martyr :britain:

• Locked thread