Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
So I posted in the AUGR thread, but haven't heard anything. Are the GoonSpec races moving to Saturday nights? I saw on Jabs' site that Season 4 starts on the 14th. Anyone have any input for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Well, the Mclaren MP4-12C GT3 car has an F1 style steering wheel, and the LMP cars use similar shape wheels. The problem being is that the paddles on the F1 rim are very close to the handgrips so you'd have your fingers over the paddles at all time to shift quickly. As I use a Frex SHIFT+ sequential shifter and whenever it comes out; the Clubsport Shifter, I rarely use paddles unless it's for a car that uses them in real life.

Given the massive fan outrage to do with the lack of a GT rim option on just about every major avenue for simracing (virtualR, inside sim racing, GT/Forza planet, f-wheel, even 911wheel blog) I reckon Thomas might have to do a 180 on that one. A GT rim like the BMW rim that the CSW has would sell like hotcakes.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
If one wanted to have a rivals-type event where people raced a certain car around a certain track and wanted to judge by time, what would be the best method to judge the thing? Get people to save and send replays to you in game? Screenshots of final times? Are there any other ways to track times like this that I haven't thought of?

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

If one wanted to have a rivals-type event where people raced a certain car around a certain track and wanted to judge by time, what would be the best method to judge the thing? Get people to save and send replays to you in game? Screenshots of final times? Are there any other ways to track times like this that I haven't thought of?

One of the other forums I visit use to following rules and it seems to work well for them (I left GTCC from Forza 2 for these guys for Forza 3, but came back to GTCC for Forza 4, because these guys don't like to actually race...)

quote:

•Lap times must be taken from Hot Lap in Free Play mode or from Test Drive. No in-race laps can be submitted.
•All modifications are allowed unless otherwise stated, but PI must not exceed the maximum stated for each round
•You must submit a photo of your lap time with Gamertag, car class and PI, lap time and the presence or absence of the Invalid Lap Indicator (triangle warning sign). No software screencaps will be allowed. More details on submissions can be seen below.
•Car and track used must match the restrictions of the round.
•I am trusting players to follow the rules and regulations for racing. Please do not cheat. If you do you will be caught and banned from entering.
•Anyone can join at any time during the league
•This is meant to be fun, abusive behaviour will not be tolerated.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

thanks for the invite last night augr guys, that was a few fun races until everyone dropped in the middle of the one race. I was beat so I called a night after that. I wish I could use a mic with my wireless speed wheel :(

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Saw this on the AI forum
Forza needs open wheel cars.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

There is a rumor that Turn-10 has been talking to Caterham, so we'll see.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

speedtek posted:

I'd possibly be interested as well. I love being in AUGR but the prestige of space docking and big black men is just too intriguing to me. I was going to request to play around with you guys on Wednesday night but my wife had to go and have a baby...

Please be aware that there's no real prestige to GTCC. People seem to think that GTCC is serious business racin with super cool specs, but it isn't. We're just a bunch of gaylords that like to race together, have racist and homo conversations, and come up with interesting cars to race. You can be guaranteed that at some point, sand will enter someone's vagina and there will be bitching about something. It's all around great fun, but there's no prestige to be had.

PhancyPants
Nov 15, 2003

Hotdog Suit Up!

Cojawfee posted:

Please be aware that there's no real prestige to GTCC. People seem to think that GTCC is serious business racin with super cool specs, but it isn't. We're just a bunch of gaylords that like to race together, have racist and homo conversations, and come up with interesting cars to race. You can be guaranteed that at some point, sand will enter someone's vagina and there will be bitching about something. It's all around great fun, but there's no prestige to be had.

There will never be another G2 :(

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

PhancyPants posted:

There will never be another G2 :(

WE ARE G2 (G1 was filled with sperglords, remember?)

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Falken posted:

Given the massive fan outrage to do with the lack of a GT rim option on just about every major avenue for simracing (virtualR, inside sim racing, GT/Forza planet, f-wheel, even 911wheel blog) I reckon Thomas might have to do a 180 on that one. A GT rim like the BMW rim that the CSW has would sell like hotcakes.

Yeah, I haven't had a chance to read much about it yet but it is surprising they said no GT rim given that the one main complaint people have had with the CSR-E is the flexible/cheaper feeling stock rim and I can't imagine it's too hard to mod the CSW rims to take the slow-release and wire harness plugin solution for the CSR-E so hopefully Fanatec & Thomas get the hint and figure it out.

In other news, holy crap it was wet at Silverstone for qualifying this morning. I don't think I've ever seen a wetter track.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Ether Frenzy posted:

Yeah, I haven't had a chance to read much about it yet but it is surprising they said no GT rim given that the one main complaint people have had with the CSR-E is the flexible/cheaper feeling stock rim and I can't imagine it's too hard to mod the CSW rims to take the slow-release and wire harness plugin solution for the CSR-E so hopefully Fanatec & Thomas get the hint and figure it out.

In other news, holy crap it was wet at Silverstone for qualifying this morning. I don't think I've ever seen a wetter track.

I doubt they care. Fanatec might make great wheels, but they don't seem to give a poo poo once they've made a new one. After they announced the ACL for the CSRE, it took a few months before they decided to throw some scraps down to us CSR plebes. The CSR and CSRE were probably just stepping stones for them to get to the CSW, and no that they have that, they aren't going to do much support for their previous wheels. When the CSR came out, there was all kind of info coming out about it. Then when the CSRE came out, they forgot about the CSR. Then they forgot about the CSRE once the CSW came out.

They probably only have this F1 style wheel to go with F12012 and then will promptly keep focusing on the CSW after that.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I thought to join G2 for GTCC you had to either post some disgusting personal info or take a cool picture of G2-related shenanigans in real life. I know one goon spray painted G2 stuff on a car.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:
I was lucky and only simply hustled into G2 because group 1 had no space. Best thing ever.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Check the AUGR thread in Private Game Servers for the spec race we will be running this upcoming Wednesday.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

YF19pilot posted:

One of the other forums I visit use to following rules and it seems to work well for them (I left GTCC from Forza 2 for these guys for Forza 3, but came back to GTCC for Forza 4, because these guys don't like to actually race...)

This reminds me of something that really disappointed me about Forza 4. When they announced Rivals and Car Clubs, the first thought that occurred to me was being able to setup Rivals challenges for your fellow club members to beat.

Maybe in Forza 5...

kaiwero
Aug 22, 2006
Yeah that would be awesome. I'm surprised there isn't a local lap records table for your own cars (I know you can see best lap for track / class but its just the best lap you did and not say the top 20). I like to take cars out on hot laps and you can only compare them if you write down the time rather then have it saved locally to a lap time board.
Me and my old flat mate used to swap times on the ring in GT 4 because it had a lap time recorder, and just wish this game had that.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Ringo Star Get posted:

I thought to join G2 for GTCC you had to either post some disgusting personal info or take a cool picture of G2-related shenanigans in real life. I know one goon spray painted G2 stuff on a car.

Well, those things help, sure. They aren't necessarily required, though.

(The painting was done by me and llama)

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Cojawfee posted:

I doubt they care. Fanatec might make great wheels, but they don't seem to give a poo poo once they've made a new one. After they announced the ACL for the CSRE, it took a few months before they decided to throw some scraps down to us CSR plebes.

They just released updated firmware for all the older wheels to have the newer features, including autoclutch, what more were you hoping to get? I have never seen a firmware update for a Logitech wheel, let alone one that adds features from a higher range of their products.

Regardless of the evilness of Fanatec, the CSW is exactly the same material product as the CSR-E, just with a different neck to attach the wheels and an integrated harness, so the amount of effort to modify the CSW rims to fit the CSR-E can't be that complex. There's already some pretty competent fan-made ones in the wild.

It's probably more likely an issue with Microsoft licensing and limitation on controllers than any other sensible reason.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...
Holy crap... I just placed a global top 5% finish in the Classic Muscle rivals challenge.

I'd share the car to the community garage, but the game says the car is locked for some reason.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Pixelboy posted:

I'd share the car to the community garage, but the game says the car is locked for some reason.

Cars with purchased tunes or designs, including unicorns, can not be shared.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Thanks for the great racing last night. There were some fantastic battles all night long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW-ntXaoXG0&hd=1

EDIT: added HD goodness

The Science Goy fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 8, 2012

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"

CaseFace McGee posted:

Thanks for the great racing last night. There were some fantastic battles all night long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW-ntXaoXG0

Fantastic video Case!

Ok boners, hop on the irc and be ready for dice racing tonight at 8 pm est!

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

burtonos posted:

Fantastic video Case!

Boo make it earlier for us fancy europapeans :argh:

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

wolrah posted:

Cars with purchased tunes or designs, including unicorns, can not be shared.

Must be the flames vinyl I have on it. Thanks!

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

CaseFace McGee posted:

I kept getting the invites, but everytime I tried to join, the lobby would time out on me. Stupid hotel internets!!!!! :argh:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

CaseFace McGee posted:

loving awesome.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.

burtonos posted:

Thats around 2am brit time, right? As in 5 hours from now.

If so, I'll try to be there, can probly only make the first hour or so though. I should be around 2 hours beforehand if anyone else is around that early.

And yeah, great video case. Wish I had the time/effort to do stuff like that. I didn't see supercharged death anywhere though, nor did I recognise many tracks. Did alot more racing go down after the initial lobby death?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Check the AUGR thread in Private Game Servers for the spec race we will be running this upcoming Wednesday.

Yaaaaaaay! See you guys then.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

I am going to respectfully disagree with Coja. GTCC does have a serious problem in that we have some members who are Dr. Jeckyl/Mr. Hyde. One day they're great, and then the next spec race they go nuts and start ruining other peoples' races for whatever reason. Honest mistakes and unavoidable errors are usually overlooked and apologies are accepted. But sometimes people just stop spec racing and start doing their own thing on the track or ramming people or parking in the racing line and, yeah, it pisses people off and accusations of sandy vaginas get thrown around.
I would say that kind of behavior has no place in GTCC but my experience is that it's an unavoidable result of gamers coming together to game. I've never been a part of any online gaming community where people didn't resort to griefing from time to time, and GTCC is no different.

But I am really proud of the club. I think it has just the right amount of sperginess and I love the twisted sense of humor. And our best drivers are some loving great drivers. I'm extremely proud to be a part of the club and yes, I'm biased, but I do think it's pretty prestigious.

Just my two cents, but I raced with them in GT5 and when FM4 came out there was no other car club I wanted to be a part of. On the whole, the experience has been extremely positive and I believe that (when sober) I'm a much better racer for it. Your mileage may vary.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
That's a pretty good description, actually. We have nights where everyone's careful and there are almost no racing incidents during our dick jokes, and then there are weeks that devolve into deathracing and recriminations. I think the bipolar nature of GTCC is part of it's charm.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Captain Hair posted:

I didn't see supercharged death anywhere though, nor did I recognise many tracks. Did alot more racing go down after the initial lobby death?

Almost all of these clips are from after the initial lobby disintegrated, and I think I only saved one replay from that first lobby. We were racing til around 3 or 3:30 ET, I think, and my sleep schedule has been so messed up I decided to stay up the rest of the night and all day today. The video clips, final rendering and upload to YouTube took about 7 hours, but a very large majority of that was just surfing the web and waiting for the videos to upload. My ISP is quite stingy on upload bandwidth, even at off-peak hours like those. If I had access to campus internet, I probably could have done the same thing in a little over 2 hours.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

CaseFace McGee posted:

Awesome.

I got a bunch of invites that made me sad because I really wanted to join but my Live just expired :(

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

CaseFace McGee posted:

This is awesome. I need to race online more often.

Also, DLC cars are cool:

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
I have begun drafting a new spec that is inspired by the Derty Bastids style of challenging-to-race vehicles.

Having given this a brief trial last night I believe it could have some promise.

"Trucking Hell"

Vehicles:
-Vehicle type must be SUV (this is the designation given to all trucks, vans, SUVs and the El Camino)

Class:
AWD Trucks run at C425.
RWD Trucks have a PI penalty and run at C400.

Upgrades:
-All Engine upgrades allowed
-Suspension must be stock. Other Handling upgrades can go as high as Sport.
-Sport/Race Transmission not allowed; Differential upgrades not allowed.
-Tires may be as high as Sport. Tire Width open. Wheels may not be changed.
-All Aero allowed
-All Swaps allowed

Tracks:
Tracks will come in sets of three, consisting of a Hill Climb or Nurburgring event with one-second staggered start (timed race), standard race and speedway race.

Other Rules:
Full damage, full contact - no ghosting

You may not change tune or vehicle for the duration of each set of races.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

the el camino is awesome :ssh:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
GTCC: The Race to R1 - E Class

I am missing the Maple Valley Reverse replay; if anyone can send it to me, I'd be most grateful. Please, someone, do.

In the meantime, here are some pics from Tsukuba and Viejo reverse. They are in no particular order, I just tried to give everyone a bit of picture time. I hope you enjoy them:

Wrangler on Viejo!

HOLY poo poo WHAT IS THAT AROUND THIS BLIND CORNER???

There were so many Lotus Elevens. I almost wish I had tuned one, because they were extremely competitive.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You mean "unable to be knocked about."

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

Cojawfee posted:

You mean "unable to be knocked about."

Pretty much this :argh:

I also had Camino in the loving bag until I got greedy and overcooked it going into the downhill righthand sweeper and slapped the wall, at least I still managed second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I was doing great until I avoided Bentron messing up a corner and ran right into :argh: SOCKINGTON :argh:

• Locked thread