Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

kastein posted:

yes. yes it is.

if you supply a set of license plates you are welcome to store it at my place. just no unplated vehicles... sketchyplated MJs welcome.

Hell, park it next to the blue one and when I start converting it to the V8 setup I'll stuff the old drivetrain right in it.

You don't have random plates kicking around? My legacy came with plates and my XJ's plates are coming off. Problem is even if it were 100% drive-able my folks would be pissed as hell if I brought another rig home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Nope, no spares :( I'm pushing it as it is. I gotta cut that drat green cherokee up soon, stuff the interior and firewall in the basement, get the engine + transmission to their owners, and scrap/sell everything else.

Let me know if you figure something out. I don't care what plates they are so long as it looks driveable (ie has all wheels on and sheetmetal on the front, which I can help with if you need to borrow some fenders and stuff) and not like a parts car.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Oops, just got caught at work with my top up but no front doors. Cue huge thunderstorm out of nowhere and like 3 inches of water in the front footwells! Wish I would have removed the plugs already. :( Currently the sun is out and we are air drying now! It's ok to roll without the plugs in the floor right? Just incase this happens again.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

mattfl posted:

Oops, just got caught at work with my top up but no front doors. Cue huge thunderstorm out of nowhere and like 3 inches of water in the front footwells! Wish I would have removed the plugs already. :( Currently the sun is out and we are air drying now! It's ok to roll without the plugs in the floor right? Just incase this happens again.

My CJ7 never had floor plugs in. It also never had doors on it so this was kind of necessary. Now I am sad and wish I had another stripped down basic jeep. Hell I wish I had any kind of jeep right now.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

While I'm waiting for everything to dry out, I went looking through some photo albums

My first Jeep! Bought it brand new in 98. First car I ever bought. Too bad it was the craptastic 4cyl AND it was auto, god I was a stupid 19 year old! The new one feels so much bigger than that one was. Does anyone know offhand the size difference between the 2? I think 97 or 98 was the first year of the round headlights being brought back too wasn't it?

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

kastein posted:

yes. yes it is.

if you supply a set of license plates you are welcome to store it at my place. just no unplated vehicles... sketchyplated MJs welcome.

Hell, park it next to the blue one and when I start converting it to the V8 setup I'll stuff the old drivetrain right in it.

You may temporarily have a sketchyplated XJ soon.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

mattfl posted:

Does anyone know offhand the size difference between the 2? I think 97 or 98 was the first year of the round headlights being brought back too wasn't it?

They brought back round headlights but that was probably the only nostalgic retrograde design change.

I dont think there's really much of a size difference. maybe a few inches longer and in the wheel base.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
The JK runs 2" longer in wheelbase measurement and is about 5.5" wider.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

I hope your not pissed if I steal this idea and use it when I plan to get my own Jeep. God drat, that is just freaking cool as hell. Though I was thinking about building a small cup holder deal with a gently caress off strong magnet to hold it down.

cregets
Nov 21, 2002

Just bought this today. Got a great deal, BUT it is an automatic. I was a little upset about it at first, but seeing that it will also be a daily driver, at least it will make for an easy city commute. It also has a soft top that I will be putting on, however it was 116 here in Vegas today so I might wait until that subsides.

I am sure you will see me posting here over the next few months trying to learn as much as I can about it.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Philip J Fry posted:

The JK runs 2" longer in wheelbase measurement and is about 5.5" wider.

Wow, guess the huge fender flares make it look a lot bigger.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The grill, too.

Cregets, I predict you're gonna love the auto. The new one is hands-down the best slushbox I've ever driven...it was German-engineered, after all.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I hope your not pissed if I steal this idea and use it when I plan to get my own Jeep. God drat, that is just freaking cool as hell. Though I was thinking about building a small cup holder deal with a gently caress off strong magnet to hold it down.

Nah, it's cool. I stole the idea from a guy on another forum anyhow.

You'll probably either want a 20mm or a 30mm can. The 20mm can is a bit narrower and some people like that. The 30mm I find fits more snugly between the seats.

https://www.quadratec.com/community/jeep_news/rig.php?a=1153

haha ^this guy's jeep reminds me of mine.

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 10, 2012

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

cregets posted:

Just bought this today. Got a great deal, BUT it is an automatic. I was a little upset about it at first, but seeing that it will also be a daily driver, at least it will make for an easy city commute. It also has a soft top that I will be putting on, however it was 116 here in Vegas today so I might wait until that subsides.

I am sure you will see me posting here over the next few months trying to learn as much as I can about it.

Nice! Personally I don't think there's any shame in an automatic Jeep. It's not like they're sports cars. I also don't like the idea of letting off the clutch, or even worse having to back up, on some steep trail (although I assume all the modern Wranglers have hill holders and ascent/descent control these days). I like that autos can soak up a bit of the throttle fluctuations when driving over really rocky terrain too.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
If you don't like a manual on the trail, you probably don't have good enough axle gearing :colbert:

But then again I'm a 3 pedal nazi and automatics tend to run screaming when they see me coming.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

kastein posted:

If you don't like a manual on the trail, you probably don't have good enough axle gearing :colbert:

But then again I'm a 3 pedal nazi and automatics tend to run screaming when they see me coming.

Lots of people run automatics with larger tires and never regear; most don't realize that this puts lots of strain on the transmission too and blame Chrysler when their slushbox starts eating bands and actuators.

If you're bouncing around so much that you can't keep your foot from bouncing on the pedal, you should slow down already. Drop the transfer case into 4lo and idle over the obstacles in a manual.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

None of that negates a good auto.

That said, I went to the dealer intending to by a manual. Last time I had an auto was Nov 2001. I had my eye on a Sport w/AC, nothing else. It was gone, so I had to "settle" for one with AC, hard top, and auto for $500 less than the other one.

cregets
Nov 21, 2002

Well I am glad to see so many positive comments about the auto, perhaps it wont be too bad after all.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

cregets posted:

Well I am glad to see so many positive comments about the auto, perhaps it wont be too bad after all.

I've been driving my crap auto wrangler for years now and am just fine.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Dude, you had to have it replaced, it shifts whenever it wants and isn't really sure what gear to be in at any given time, and it's a completely different auto from the one they're talking about... with stock size tires and axle gears behind it. Apples to oranges.

I took the MJ down breakneck for a speed run with Ace riding shotgun with his dv cam, hopefully the video came out well. Waiting for a firewire cable/adapter in the mail now. I didn't really push it speed wise since I'm on my last set of free warranty shocks and need them to last more than a few months, but made decent time.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Cregets what year did you buy? The '12 has the new awesome trans. The previous one isn't terrible (from what I've read) but 07-11 is a different eng/trans combo.

It's the same gears either way, and a D44 on each axle. So yeah. If you go bigger than 32" or 33" tires you'll probably need to regear no matter what. I've got 3.21, so I definitely will.

Edited for clarity!

Godholio fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 10, 2012

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

kastein posted:

Dude, you had to have it replaced, it shifts whenever it wants and isn't really sure what gear to be in at any given time, and it's a completely different auto from the one they're talking about... with stock size tires and axle gears behind it. Apples to oranges.

I never said the jeep was fine :v:

Exodos
Jul 6, 2000
I stole a pie from Estelle Getty.
I'm looking at a Jeep that a friends uncle is selling. I've been perusing this thread for a few days, but I am by far not an expert. Here are the details that I know, I've asked and am waiting for more details and pictures. What else should I be looking for/asking for?

What I know:
1993 Jeep Wrangler
4cyl
160k miles
5 speed, new clutch
New windshield
New tires
New seats
Interior is 'rough'
"Everything works"
They're asking $5k

What I've asked:
Type and condition of the top
Ever been wrecked?
Does it have a/c and how well does it work?
What other issue(s) does it have that I haven't asked about?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Exodos fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 10, 2012

Exodos
Jul 6, 2000
Edited above post.

Exodos fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jul 10, 2012

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

Exodos posted:

I'm looking at a Jeep that a friends uncle is selling. I've been perusing this thread for a few days, but I am by far not an expert. Here are the details that I know, I've asked and am waiting for more details and pictures. What else should I be looking for/asking for?

What I know:
1993 Jeep Wrangler
4cyl
5 speed, new clutch
New windshield
New tires
New seats
Interior is 'rough'
"Everything works"
They're asking $5k

What I've asked:
Ever been wrecked?

Personally when I was shopping for Jeeps I automatically wrote off anything with the 4 cyl engine. One of the most desirable things about these old turds is the i6 4.0.

That said, any running Wrangler is worth $5k in my neck of the woods.

Exodos
Jul 6, 2000
I'm having a terrible time finding anything that's not a rust bucket and is running for anything less than 8k, in this area (Florida). But I don't want to buy a heap, just because I didn't look for the right things. I have read that I need to be looking for a I6 - Is it that big a deal? This would be a 2nd vehicle that would be for camping/beach trips. What's the undertaking in replacing the engine with an I6, if the rest of the vehicle is in decent shape?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

switching a wrangler (at least YJs and early TJs, afaik) to a 4.0 will require changing the engine bay wiring harness, engine (obviously), transmission, possibly driveshafts, radiator fan assembly, possibly radiator, and likely some other things as well. Oh, and you get to cut the engine mounts off the frame, buy some from a 4.0 donor, and weld them onto your frame in the proper location.

It's not for the faint of heart.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Exodos posted:

What I know:
1993 Jeep Wrangler
4cyl
160k miles
5 speed, new clutch
New windshield
New tires
New seats
Interior is 'rough'
"Everything works"
They're asking $5k

What I've asked:
Ever been wrecked?

I had a 93 with the 4cyl/5spd. It's not the end of the world. I never got really stuck, but the deepest mud I went through was about 5 inches (it was pretty thick though, and I almost had to walk out). Just realize you're going to get 13mpg on the highway, have zero acceleration, and you're just not going to be able to climb or crawl as well as a bigger-engined Jeep.

I still enjoyed the gently caress out of mine. :) Only reason I sold it is because I fell into my old Corvette and knew the Jeep wouldn't see another dime of project money.

Edit: Despite having a lot more miles, that one looks a lot better than mine. Looks like the carpet is out...bedline the interior. Also, there's a 1.25" poly spacer kit that'll give you a little more room under the fenders. I can't remember who makes it but I got mine through Jegs. DO NOT use one of those lovely 3" body lift kits. They are terrible, will ruin what little ride comfort you've got, and they will actually destroy the tub and break through the floor after a couple of years (I replaced that poo poo with the poly puck kit). If you're gonna do a lift, do the suspension.

Edit2: I have an upper dash pad (tan), that tow bar thing that goes under the rear bumper, and a factory spare wheel if you're near Oklahoma :)

Godholio fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 10, 2012

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
More Craigslist fun trying to sell my CJ2A:

These were sent of somewhat rapid fire from my cell phone.

(HIM):haw:DO U HAVE A TITLE AND VIN PLATE FOR THE JEEP....AND ANY INTREST IN A KX65 DIRT BIKE WITH A BIG BORE KIT READY TA RIDE

(ME):doh:The jeep is pre-vin that is vehicles didn't have vin at the time it was made also because of its age there is no requirement for a title.
jim brant juckie633@yahoo.com

(HIM):pseudo: no its not....i had a 46 that had a vin....now im not sure how maine handles titles or bill of sales but at the very least id need the vin tag so when i get done building it i can drive it on the road

(ME):eng101:Yours might have been added later. Most owners work registration using the serial number from the dash or firewall with "cj2a" or similar on the end. The serial isn't technically a vin just the number willys gave the body as it was produced

Also I believe in Maine vehicles made before 1996 do not need a title to register with the dmv

(HIM) :colbert: ok....do u have the serial number AKA VIN number with an old registration??

(ME):neckbeard:http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_Identification_Number vins were first used in 1954.

Yes I have the original serial plate for the firewall. No I bought it without a registration.

No reply since 2 hours ago. Whatever- I didn't want your stupid dirtbike anyhow.

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 10, 2012

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Godholio posted:

If you're gonna do a lift, do the suspension.

^ This

I also have a small collection of odd spare parts if you need any. I'm in Maine though. :3:

Exodos
Jul 6, 2000
Thanks for the info fellas. Also, the offer of parts. You guys rock!

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Exodos posted:

Thanks for the info fellas. Also, the offer of parts. You guys rock!

This is what I have at the moment:

- A hard top with no rear window. :(
- 2 full hard doors in fair condition
- Most of a dash - crash pad A/C manifold etc.
- Stock center console in rough condition.
- An extra auto trans that needs rebuilding.
- Stock air cleaner assembly for a BBD carburetor - obviously no use to you.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Can Anybody recommend a good bang for the buck brand of adjustable track bars? I'd like to spend about $300 or less.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I'd probably go with a JKS one. They're pretty drat good quality.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

kastein posted:

I'd probably go with a JKS one. They're pretty drat good quality.

JKS for sure.

Anyways, I had no idea that SA had a giant jeep thread, I spend most of my time over on JF because I didn't know this existed.

I currently have a 96 ZJ 4.0 and before that I had a 93 ZJ 5.2 with only 93k miles on her until a drunk driver ruined it for it.

I'm about to go look at a lifted ZJ sometime this week.

I wish that in my price range I could find a nice wrangler, but since I live in the rust belt that is all but impossible.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
The camshaft position sensor on my 2000 Wrangler's 4.0 has a pinhole crack in it somehow. You can see and hear arcing through the hole when the engine is running. How bad is this? I'm going to replace it on Friday when I get paid, but should I just park it until then? I'm not noticing any stumbling or misfiring yet.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

that sensor is very low voltage (5 volt logic signals iirc) - shouldn't produce any noticeable arcing.

Any codes or oil pressure warnings yet? Worst case, it's actually the drive gear and shaft for that sensor, which also drive the oil pump... on some of the later years (want to say 04-05 or so) they're known for grenading.

I would replace it ASAP, but I don't know for sure if any of that scary poo poo I just wrote applies to your engine.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

phfister posted:

I wish that in my price range I could find a nice wrangler, but since I live in the rust belt that is all but impossible.

New England isnt any better.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
I have an opportunity to buy an '87 Grand Wagoneer for super cheap. Like $500. It runs, passed california SMOG last year, and is in relatively good condition. 4x4, 4 door, auto, V8, no rust, etc. It does have some little problems like window motors that don't function 100% and door lock issues. It was bought for $3,800 a year ago and now the guy just wants to get rid of it. If I bought this, I'd be using it mostly as a tow rig for cars and a general get out of town 4x4er. I'll probably have to sell my '01 Cherokee if I got it, so it would have to be capable of towing while still being able to deliver all the off-road fun I can expect from my mildly modified XJ.

My questions are, does anyone have experience with these? Are they relatively easy to live with? It's a carbed AMC 360 engine in a body that was designed in 1962, so I'm a little concerned about dealing with something of that vintage and technology. Will it be reliable? Can that engine even tow? I'm seeing a 5,000lb towing capacity for it, which might be incorrect as it sounds low, but with a V8 engine that makes 144hp it wouldn't surprise me.

I thought about doing an LS1 swap since there are companies with kits dedicated for exactly that, but at nearly $10,000 for the kits I might as well just go buy a 6 year old truck instead. (which I won't, cause I don't want to spend that kind of money.)

Basically, is it worth it? I'd like to have a vehicle for towing and mild off-roading, and unfortunately the XJ just doesn't cut it for towing. Chances are if I don't buy this FSJ, it's going to the scrap yard like the last one the guy bought. (both were bought to be used in a movie, but the first one wasn't reliable enough so he junked it.) I could probably buy it for $500 and turn around and sell it to a Jeep guy for more, but chances are not for enough money to make the time spent worthwhile. Or is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

kastein posted:

that sensor is very low voltage (5 volt logic signals iirc) - shouldn't produce any noticeable arcing.

Any codes or oil pressure warnings yet? Worst case, it's actually the drive gear and shaft for that sensor, which also drive the oil pump... on some of the later years (want to say 04-05 or so) they're known for grenading.

I would replace it ASAP, but I don't know for sure if any of that scary poo poo I just wrote applies to your engine.

I actually have no oil pressure problems, 20psi at idle etc. Oh well gonna be a fun weekend.