Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

excidium posted:

There's always the option of looking at website "themes", especially those of the admin variety. Might be able to fit your work into one of those for pretty cheap ($20-$45 range).

This is all nice, but I'd rather keep things in CSS and fix my failings from there, which most of these frameworks don't seem to operate by. Either way, I'm just gonna keep mashing away at it and learn what I can from criticism. Anyhow, a few changes I did last night, bit busy with other things though:

Reorganized a bit, information & maintenance are meant to be tabs, hopefully that's clearer now. Engines & Auxiliaries are tags for organization, not buttons, maybe that will be a little clearer now as well?

Also, there are too many icon actions for the component bar, but I just thought of a good way to reduce that heavily without making it hard to discover the functionality.

The replace item form is Inline but AJAX, so it's only there when a user asks for it. I didn't want to run with a Modal Box because it doesn't require full focus, and tends to be jarring if you make multiple items, do multiple actions.

Still plenty of work to do, and while it's disheartening to know I've still got so much work to do, the great part of web apps is that I can continuously improve it, as long as I'm not breaking user expectations too badly.

Anyway, I'll take my stuff to the Web Design thread from now on, don't want to distract from the cool stuff other people are doing while I'm trying to. Gonna grab a book or two as well.

Maluco Marinero fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jul 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Maluco Marinero posted:

Yeah, this isn't really an option. As I've said earlier, I don't have enough to pay for anyone to work for me, and spec work is the devil. Thanks for the advice and the feedback, especially yours Dish. It highlighted alot of breakdowns in what my intentions were and how it was interpreted.

Some days I hate being self taught.

Good to see someone taking criticism like a champ. If you keep that up it won't matter that you're self taught because you're willing to take in advice and learn from it.

For what it's worth, from a purely 'proof of concept' standpoint, your idea is looking great and once you've got the UI locked down it looks like it could be very useful.

Edit: Just saw your update - looking much better already! Everything lines up Just a quick couple of notes:

1) Consider putting your input labels on the left, rather than right aligned. Notice for example the "operating hours" field which almost looks unlabelled because the input is quite far away from the label.

2) Use buttons for the "add attachments" "add X" stuff, or use a link for the "Replace item" button. They are all actions that the user would like to perform rather than links to another page so ideally they would all be buttons.

putin is a cunt fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jul 10, 2012

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Yep, it looks much better. I notice you still have a few inconsistent paddings around, and a bit more whitespace e.g. between labels. Make sure to keep things "centered" -- see the "active" label on the left-hand side in the components? That should all be centered. The easiest way to do that is to have a line-height that matches the tallest element in the row.

If you don't know if the padding is even, take a screenshot, and count pixels in something like Photoshop.

I would also put the most useful information near the top. What will people be viewing most when they come to this web page? The font you picked for the operating hours suggests that, so why is it on a right-hand column in the middle of nowhere? Put it near the top.

The only other thing I would suggest would be to use more color, sparingly, to mark important information and give contextual cues: gray out boilerplate text like "operating hours", and add a green/yellow/red meter for both status (Active) and potential maintenance information ("500 hours" is meaningless; is it good or bad? Should I get maintenance soon?).

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
When I get my project to a stage where it can be publicly scrutinised I'm going to post it here - you guys have a fine eye for detail.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Yeah, the context is a bit different. This is considered more of an editing and review page, setting up the plan. The operating hours is a value that they can keep up to date on the overview page (not implemented yet, that's on this weeks sprint). This is fairly standard fare on ships, every day you do rounds and update your numbers. Instead of a paper form it goes on a computer. They only really have to do it weekly anyway. The meat of the action is in the overview page (last shot I promise, then I'll take it to the web thread):

This is a bit heavily populated due to me running and not updating some of my test data, but the idea is simple:

Everything you need to do is on this page. Your corrective maintenance, your expiries, services, planned maintenance, worked out based on the information in the plan. If you update your operating hours regularly and you have a planned maintenance entry that says 'Do so and so every 600 hours' it's expected date will be predicted and show up on this page when it's coming up.

Every action is dealt with on this page without a full refresh. You click on it, you choose to do something, dispose, replace, record service, record maintenance, whatever and it gives you a form. You do the form, then the changes are saved and it says in the line item, you can see four entries where I've already done this.

I need to make those completed entries more obvious though, use a bit of colour there, and there'll also be the option to Undo the action soon enough, the framework is there so I just need to hook the UI in to it.

The whole idea of this page is:
1. Give me a job to do.
2. Let me record what I've done.

Everything else is in support of editing the plan to make this page work. I should put some more context notifications on the edit page but I haven't figured out the right way to go about it yet. The main thing is some of these items can be complex, but some of them are literally just a name, category, and expiry date. I distilled the maintenance model down as simple as possible so the user won't have to treat things differently all the time, it's just a case of getting the UI to properly communicate it.

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011
Just an update on GoonJobs:

The site is fairly browsable on the iPad, but it horribly sucks for the phone. So I started on an iPhone app today which should suffice. This is the root view:

The rest of the screenshots can be found in this album. I'm half-thinking of buying a few banner ads but I'm not sure if the volume of job-finders on SA is enough. Suggestions?

Screeb
Dec 28, 2004

I heard there were teapots? *blows dust off old box of source code*

(click for big)

Post perfect spheres and the ray tracingest teapots you got.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

tef posted:

it's a sort of duck-typed rpc using hypermedia to describe methods on objects :2bong:

I gave a talk, about that thing that I wrote, at a mini ruby conference: http://vimeo.com/45474360

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Frog Blast The Vent Core!

Maluco Marinero posted:

Yeah, the context is a bit different. This is considered more of an editing and review page, setting up the plan. The operating hours is a value that they can keep up to date on the overview page (not implemented yet, that's on this weeks sprint). This is fairly standard fare on ships, every day you do rounds and update your numbers. Instead of a paper form it goes on a computer. They only really have to do it weekly anyway. The meat of the action is in the overview page (last shot I promise, then I'll take it to the web thread):

Your usage of dates is inconsistent. For past due items you use "<number of days> days". For future items you use "<day of the month> <name of day of the week>".

So I go from 1 day overdue to 1st Friday. It's a bit jarring. Might want to go with a consistent <X> days on either side and perhaps include the day of the week on the next line or something. (Or maybe include the day of the week only for events within the next 7 days.)

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING

tef posted:

I gave a talk, about that thing that I wrote, at a mini ruby conference: http://vimeo.com/45474360

Is that in a pub?

EDIT: With a Bristolian accent?

Fruit Smoothies fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 10, 2012

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Fruit Smoothies posted:

Is that in a pub?

Sorta. It's in the back room of one.

quote:

EDIT: With a Bristolian accent?

I have no idea what my accent is. I've only been in bristol for a weekend.

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING

tef posted:

I have no idea what my accent is. I've only been in bristol for a weekend.

You certainly went west-country for parts of that.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Maluco Marinero posted:

This is all nice, but I'd rather keep things in CSS and fix my failings from there, which most of these frameworks don't seem to operate by. Either way, I'm just gonna keep mashing away at it and learn what I can from criticism. Anyhow, a few changes I did last night, bit busy with other things though:

I spent 5 mins layering stuff on your revisions....

The main gist of what I'd chage / did change is:

* Top-aligned form labels
* made inputs look like inputs
* underline links so it's clear they are links, not just different colored text
* "active" is denoted by color, easy to tell status at a glance
* maintenance tab has color so it doesn't look disabled (grey = disabled to users)
* whitespace between Addon links to prevent mis-click
* calendar picker icon for date field
* separator between components
* giant note pointing out red X confusion

As Gnack said, kudos to you for taking critique as a learning experience instead of hurf durfing away.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

iopred
Aug 14, 2005

Heli Attack!
I just open sourced a layered animation library for AS3. Makes fancy character creation a snap, solves a bunch of issues for game developers and is easy to use.

Demos at:
http://iopred.github.com/garland/

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Pfhreak posted:

Your usage of dates is inconsistent. For past due items you use "<number of days> days". For future items you use "<day of the month> <name of day of the week>".

So I go from 1 day overdue to 1st Friday. It's a bit jarring. Might want to go with a consistent <X> days on either side and perhaps include the day of the week on the next line or something. (Or maybe include the day of the week only for events within the next 7 days.)
Sort of, from my experience on ships, if you're overdue, you only care about how much you're overdue. If it's coming up, you care about when because you have to fit it in with your other work and the schedule of the vessel's operation. I could definitely format it better but I still want to maintain that style of dating the jobs.

Lumpy posted:

I spent 5 mins layering stuff on your revisions....

The main gist of what I'd chage / did change is:

** Good advice

As Gnack said, kudos to you for taking critique as a learning experience instead of hurf durfing away.

Cheers, I'll post a response to this on the web design thread once I'm done with some other stuff I'm working on. I figured hurf durf doesn't get me any closer to a release ready product, but engaging with feedback does, so it seemed like the smarter choice even if it dents the ego a tonne. :)

Wulfeh
Dec 1, 2005

The mmo worth playing: DAoC
Been working on a project with a coworker. It is a JS event tracker toolbar for the google closure library. We have a really JS heavy UI web application with random events firing all the time so this can provide some useful visual/aggregated data for debugging

https://github.com/Jigarsolanki/closure-tracker

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
I'm teaching myself the Android SDK by writing an Xbox 360 ban tester. It takes a console serial number and a special value displayed in the Dashboard and decrypts it to display security events logged in secdata.bin in NAND.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

A javascript/perl framework for writing web interfaces that can control the Biamp AudiaFlex and a variety of other AV and show control devices with nothing but a bog standard PC and a couple USB to serial adapters.

Unfortunately there's nothing pretty to look at because I'm still waiting on the raspberrypi that I'm planning on using to drive the prototype facepanel.

corgski fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 12, 2012

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

tef posted:

tef learning Ruby? :aaaaa:

Good talk by the way. :waycool: I was only a bit surprised you didn't cast glyph as a media type after having explained how really it's an encoding (I guess I'm thinking encoding ~= media type in REST terms).

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

mnd posted:

tef learning Ruby? :aaaaa:

Good talk by the way. :waycool: I was only a bit surprised you didn't cast glyph as a media type after having explained how really it's an encoding (I guess I'm thinking encoding ~= media type in REST terms).

You're right.

The talk wasn't really aimed at those who understand representational state transfer, I tried to avoid the specific nomenclature, such as media type. The rest people seem to have a different meaning for RPC too.

So instead of hearing 'It's not REST', i've been hearing 'It isn't RPC'.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

tef posted:

You're right.

The talk wasn't really aimed at those who understand representational state transfer, I tried to avoid the specific nomenclature, such as media type. The rest people seem to have a different meaning for RPC too.

So instead of hearing 'It's not REST', i've been hearing 'It isn't RPC'.

Web folks never define their terms. gently caress, as 3 people what MVC means and you'll get 7 answers.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Otto Skorzeny posted:

Web folks never define their terms. gently caress, as 3 people what MVC means and you'll get 7 answers.

Marvel Vs Capcom, obviously :colbert:

I just hate acronyms in general 90% of the time. My mind has a difficulty placing names to faces, and acronyms to meanings. No idea why! The only acronyms I can really remember are ones that only have one meaning or are used a lot.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Jewel posted:

Marvel Vs Capcom, obviously :colbert:

I just hate acronyms in general 90% of the time. My mind has a difficulty placing names to faces, and acronyms to meanings. No idea why! The only acronyms I can really remember are ones that only have one meaning or are used a lot.

I didn't mean the words that the acronyms expand to, but rather the semantics/meaning associated with the words. People can regurgitate eg. that MVC means model/view/controller, but ask them to explain concisely what each of those ought to do and you'll generally get a bunch of verbal barf. Allowing an unbounded length of time to respond doesn't improve the quality of the reply much.

e: i should further state that the verbal barf isn't the real problem, but rather the fact that each developer's verbal barf doesn't boil down to the same meaning

bike appreciator
Mar 19, 2011

Baby's first NodeJS/MongoDB app. Basic functionality works, but it's got a ways to go til completion. The idea was a "crowdsourced" text adventure, where people could branch the story themselves and others could pursue and extend those branches. If the internet ever actually used it, it would probably just get filled with a lot of "whip out your penis" commands. Just the few friends I've shown it to have already done it. Probably will end up going the way of most of my "learning X" projects: Forever unfinished.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Fozzle posted:

The idea was a "crowdsourced" text adventure, where people could branch the story themselves and others could pursue and extend those branches.

I remember there being several sites that did this in the mid 90s. Worked about as well as you described.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

Fozzle posted:

Baby's first NodeJS/MongoDB app. Basic functionality works, but it's got a ways to go til completion. The idea was a "crowdsourced" text adventure, where people could branch the story themselves and others could pursue and extend those branches. If the internet ever actually used it, it would probably just get filled with a lot of "whip out your penis" commands. Just the few friends I've shown it to have already done it. Probably will end up going the way of most of my "learning X" projects: Forever unfinished.

> brush teeth

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Cowcatcher posted:

> brush teeth
- With what?

fishbacon
Nov 4, 2009
wonderful yet strange smell

Sagacity posted:

- With what?

> Brush teeth with bottle of "Jack"
> Hit city.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Nerds, all of you.

Love it

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

Mr. Fish posted:

> Hit city.

- Violence is never the answer.

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Fish posted:

> Brush teeth with bottle of "Jack"
pre:
Aaarrrr! It burns your tongue and your throat!

***You have died***

A forest sprite appears, looking concerned. "You've done it again," says the
sprite," says the sprite, with a mixture of sympathy and disgust. "I'll give
you only one more chance." She sprinkles some fairy dust on you...

The Viper Room
There is a record contract here.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

It works, it works. :3:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yay, in just a couple of days I've made more progress on my new game project than I've ever made so far on any other project!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhptvMNVLvE
(The framerate isn't that bad, I have no idea why my video recording software did that)

No collisions yet, but I've got a moving, animated character! :neckbeard:
Everything coded from scratch using C# and OpenGL.

Dolex
May 5, 2001

http://creative-co.de/labs/puppyverse/

Making this is 100x more fun than the things I should be working on right now...

Dolex
May 5, 2001

fix memory leaks in my real work? I think I'll take my friends painting and have it alpha fade all slow to a RZA soundtrack.

http://creative-co.de/labs/samurai/

Press 's' to save...

sorry for the 2x post, sunday morning procrastination

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Fozzle posted:

I posted my similar game earlier in this thread. Fun to see a lot of people have had the same idea - a friend of mine had a similar game based on LUA. I'm hoping to implement a kind of verification and filtering system for the content to avoid the "penis penis penis" type entries.

Here's a few recent screenshots. I got some help with web design from a friend but it's still kinda super basic, and work in progress of course.

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009
I saw a post on Reddit about taking how many day you have lived, how old you expect to live, then applying it to a clock, to see "what time" it is in your life.

Also I just realized I wrote Where instead of Were...

Obviously it can be modified to be slightly more accurate since it assumes you will die on your birthday, and doesn't calculate seconds.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
I've been working on a rules-based script that pulls from a pool of steel shelter part templates and builds a custom assembly in 3ds MAX. I'll eventually collect all the incidental data and be able to output BOMs and cut lists for all of the parts, but for now I'm happy with it reducing rendering turnaround time by 80-loving-percent. :c00lbert:

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

IO-less pure .NET MPEG demuxer/decoder library. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

May not look like much, but this is a CRM page in IE, specifically an Account. Here there is a tab that retrieves Invoice data for the Account from the GP server. Clicking the invoice name attempts to grab the actual invoice itself from the Sharepoint server. Dull but I felt pretty good when it all magically worked.