Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

TiMBuS posted:

he asked, unless u think he really wanted to know if everything in perl 5.16 was a 1st class object
perl programmers are 2nd class employees

i feel like a drat leper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Ronald Raiden posted:

on the other hand, python is good, do learn python.

really makes u think

learn python

never program in it

never touch someone else's program in it

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
perl's great for getting from "i know this is computable" to the computer actually doing it and sipping on coffee faster

e: is python similar in sippitude?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

homercles posted:

perl programmers are 2nd class employees

i feel like a drat leper

see 10 years ago they wrote a bunch of perl scripts that are vital to everything we do so knowing perl makes me p much the aristocracy 'round these parts

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
are there any web languages that are least moderately tolerable? i do front end and middleware work and i don't mind using java for the middleware but i'm stuck using flex 4 at work because the big banks still think it's the greatest thing ever and i don't want to maintain legacy webapps forever or learn some useless flavor of the week. i know vanilla js but i haven't used any of the big frameworks.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
everybody tells me ruby when i ask them that

CaptainMeatpants
Jun 1, 2010

mjs6643 posted:

i know vanilla js but i haven't used any of the big frameworks.

jquery is the easiest thing ever, it turns everything in to step-by-step business logic

jquery ui is a terrible pile of garbage though

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mjs6643 posted:

are there any web languages that are least moderately tolerable? i do front end and middleware work and i don't mind using java for the middleware but i'm stuck using flex 4 at work because the big banks still think it's the greatest thing ever and i don't want to maintain legacy webapps forever or learn some useless flavor of the week. i know vanilla js but i haven't used any of the big frameworks.

not really. mvc3 is ok as long as you keep your models simple.

a while back i saw this java thing called zk that i wanted to try out cause it was claiming to have a xaml-like for the web, but i never got around to it.

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

JawnV6 posted:

perl's great for getting from "i know this is computable" to the computer actually doing it and sipping on coffee faster

I haven't done much perl, but Python is also good for quickly and easily computering a thing.

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

mjs6643 posted:

how about that python yo. Get you some django or flask or some poo poo and do up a website

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

mjs6643 posted:

learn python on django or ruby on rails

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
yeah, i thought django would be the way to go since i already know python.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

Shaggar posted:

python is bad. dont learn python

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

p languages are trash. ruby is an honorary p language

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Tiny Bug Child posted:

posterity

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
in before exception that proves the rule

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

tef knows what's up

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

tef posted:

in before exception that proves the rule

================================= TRUE

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

expectation proofs the role

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
experienced profiterole

CaptainMeatpants
Jun 1, 2010

trying to debug a thing in webkit

code:
var things = {};
console.log(things);
things.stuff = "words";
console.log(things);
that shows the .stuff property in both logs :getin:

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

JawnV6 posted:

similar but not as much

perl you can grow a program from the command line and then into a script. I hear nice things about building large applications in modern perl, amongst the horror stories of inheritance.

meanwhile python isn't as easy for the quick hacks but I've found growing python to be less painful. it will never beat perl for disposable programs, but better for hacks you have to revisit.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i have no idea what scale Real Programmers deal with but here it's anywhere from 10 to 3k LoC in one perl program, ballpark. anything bigger and we break it up or do it another way

keep in mind, perl 5.0

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
my current work thing is ~20k, about 75% Python, 25% SQL. it's only 18 months old.

post the sourciest lines of code you got

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
visual studio's debugger sucks a thousand dicks.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

BonzoESC posted:

learn python on django or ruby on rails

this is a good idea if you like bad languages and bad tools and working with idiots

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

tef posted:

http://vimeo.com/45474360 welp so I gave a talk.

but someone else's talk http://vimeo.com/45433299 was much better.
gonna guess that you don't like public speaking. cool talk though

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Tiny Bug Child posted:

Shaggar posted:

visual studio's debugger sucks a thousand dicks.

what is going on

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Shaggar posted:

this is a good idea if you like bad languages and bad tools and working with idiots

and as you starve to death under a bridge at 24, your last words will be "...at least i refused to work with idiots"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Necc0 posted:

if you truly enjoy public speaking you have an inflated ego

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Necc0 posted:

I'd had three hours of sleep and was quite tired.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Inverse Icarus posted:

what is going on

right now i hate it because it skips breakpoints for no reason.

but long term visual studio grievances include, but are not limited to:
it doesnt error check in real time.
the autocomplete isn't context aware.
the format blows more goats than the debugger.
keyboard shortcuts dont make sense.
common commands are hidden, useless commands are on the context menu.
it opens files in your project when you click on them once (to highlight them)
and probably 100 other things.

eclipse does this stuff way better.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Inverse Icarus posted:

what is going on

php is the

tef posted:

exception that proves the rule

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
gimmick roll call

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5y3NQi_RAY

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
tlo are big fans of perl and python and linux in general

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

tef posted:

I'd had three hours of sleep and was quite tired.
i liked the part where you knew how to make a powerpoint slide and actually hold an overarching theme that flowed from one to the next. it's one of those things that youd think everyone could do but it's pretty rare.

it just seems like this is part of your job which if it is you should work on your breathing, you sound tense. in every day convo try to speak from your belly rather than your chest.

(I tend to talk really really fast making my mouth dry up and it sounds gross)

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Necc0 posted:

i liked the part where you knew how to make a powerpoint slide and actually hold an overarching theme that flowed from one to the next. it's one of those things that youd think everyone could do but it's pretty rare.

I practiced. it helps. I ended up in a workshop for giving talks, at a conference, recently. I was told the secret is to write your script before you write slides (the script is on github). that and breaking the talk into three segments: your talk, your talk, and your talk

you introduce your talk by giving it in miniature, then expand upon it in 2-3 segments, before closing by repeating your talk in miniature, building on what you've explained.

seemed to work.

quote:

it just seems like this is part of your job which if it is you should work on your breathing, you sound tense. in every day convo try to speak from your belly rather than your chest.

I may have nipped outside for ~a smoke~ before talking. I was panicking inside somewhat as I normally talk to a more familiar audience, rather than mostly strangers.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

tell them what you're gonna tell them, tell them, tell them what you told them

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Tiny Bug Child posted:

tell them what you're gonna tell them, tell them, tell them what you told them

php in english

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
You know tbc and shaggar I think you are both being very narrow minded and gimmickposting, very few languages are outright bad in my opinion, and simply trying to fit any one language, be it java or php or python or haskell or buttfart to ever task is pretty dumb.

I think all languages have some merit in the right context. Except for the exception that proves the rule, of course. Php has no merit ever. It just sucks.