Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

SB35 posted:

Looks like a key or even new ignition switch might be tough to find. Definitely try a few locksmiths though, they might be able to make something work for you.

Thanks! I'm going to give these people a call tomorrow: http://www.motomacchi.com/

If they can't help me I'll give a locksmith a ring. If all else fails I may have to just throw it out sell it :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dzus
Jun 18, 2007

I have had people walk out on me before, but not... when I was being so charming.

Red Robin Hood posted:

I helped a family friend move this weekend and I'll be doing a bunch of computer work for them so they are giving me a beautiful Harley Davidson 250SX

This is awesome.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Trying to figure out if this is normal cycle behavior or something else.

I ride a '82 XJ750J Maxim and when I start it and it's warmed up, it idles at 1.5k

It's weird to describe, so here's a couple scenarios I've run into repeatedly:

1. Riding at 30-40mph and slow down for a stop. Pull the clutch in immediately and rpm jumps up to around 4-5k and usually gradually drops as I slow down.

2. Riding at 30-40mph and slow down for a stop. Gradually downshift and rpm drops as I slow down.

3. Sitting at a light and I pull the clutch in, rpm jumps between 3-5k. Gotta do some fancy throttle control so I don't look like a dick and keep it down under 2k.

Is this normal behavior, are my carbs dirty, do I need to adjust the idle screw, or is there something else going on here?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Well, first of all adjust your idle screws. If that doesn't work, check for air leaks by spraying WD-40 or propane or something like that around the carb boots. If you can't make it idle properly by adjusting the screw and there are no leaks, then you'll have to open the carbs up and look for clogs.

I had a very similar problem to yours and I couldn't fix it by adjusting the idle screw and there weren't any leaks. It turned out that the pilot jets were entirely clogged, and I had the idle screw pulled out so far that the bike was "idling" on a half-uncovered off-idle circuit jet instead. It would work well at moderate and high throttle openings, but the idle was never stable, and it would frequently race like yours does and other times repeatedly stall. I figured that the racing and stalling was due to the throttle plates not closing to exactly the same coverage of the off-idle circuit holes every time. After I unclogged the pilot jets and put the idle screws back where they were supposed to be, it stabilized and ran great.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Thanks for the info, I'll check for leaks once I have some time. I tried adjusting the idle screw awhile back but I don't think it was properly warmed up (had to make an emergency adjustment in a parking lot to avoid breaking the engine) so I haven't touched it since, I'll take a look at doing that later.

I'm really hoping it's not dirty carbs as I haven't got a place to pull and work on it in (just an open parking lot). I'm currently running some seafoam through it hoping that will clear out any nastiness residing in there, but I can only hope for the best.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Ashex posted:

Trying to figure out if this is normal cycle behavior or something else.

I ride a '82 XJ750J Maxim and when I start it and it's warmed up, it idles at 1.5k

It's weird to describe, so here's a couple scenarios I've run into repeatedly:

1. Riding at 30-40mph and slow down for a stop. Pull the clutch in immediately and rpm jumps up to around 4-5k and usually gradually drops as I slow down.

2. Riding at 30-40mph and slow down for a stop. Gradually downshift and rpm drops as I slow down.

3. Sitting at a light and I pull the clutch in, rpm jumps between 3-5k. Gotta do some fancy throttle control so I don't look like a dick and keep it down under 2k.

Is this normal behavior, are my carbs dirty, do I need to adjust the idle screw, or is there something else going on here?

I doubt it is your idle screw, since if your idle was that high you wouldn't see RPM (or speed) fall normally when you downshift. You might have a sticky slide that is hanging open, enough to push the RPM without any load on the engine. You might also have an air leak causing the idle to hang/rise.

You may be able to pull the carbs off in the parking lot and bring them inside to clean them up. It will be tricky to test and synch them in a parking lot though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Tamir Lenk posted:

I doubt it is your idle screw, since if your idle was that high you wouldn't see RPM (or speed) fall normally when you downshift.

I took that to mean that the engine slowed if he kept it in gear as he decelerated, which would always be true regardless of what was wrong with the carbs.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

I took that to mean that the engine slowed if he kept it in gear as he decelerated, which would always be true regardless of what was wrong with the carbs.

Right, he is slowing when downshifting and staying in gear. If his master idle was hosed (i.e., set too high, stuck open), then the bike would not decelerate when downshifting (or not slow down normally) because the throttle would actually remain open at the carbs. IOW "closed" at the grip on the bad idle screw or setting would still be 1/8 or so open at the carbs if he's getting 4,000 RPM idling. So it would be like downshifting but keeping the throttle up, no decel or your decel will plateau.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Tamir Lenk posted:

Right, he is slowing when downshifting and staying in gear. If his master idle was hosed (i.e., set too high, stuck open), then the bike would not decelerate when downshifting (or not slow down normally) because the throttle would actually remain open at the carbs. IOW "closed" at the grip on the bad idle screw or setting would still be 1/8 or so open at the carbs if he's getting 4,000 RPM idling. So it would be like downshifting but keeping the throttle up, no decel or your decel will plateau.

Not the case. Idle adjustment is a very small opening in the carbs, probably about 1/25th of total opening. It's common for a high idle to get the RPMs up to 4k when the bike has no load on it with minimal throttle, but have it run relatively normally when cruising. It might run on a small amount, but it's not going to be all that noticeable unless you know what you're looking for, it's going to show up more as a drop in engine braking than anything else.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Red Robin Hood posted:

Thanks guys I won't be riding it for awhile. More bad new, though... rear tire has a small nail in it and it's leaking so I'll have to get that replaced :(

Unless those are very old tyres all you need to do is replace or patch the tube.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

echomadman posted:

Unless those are very old tyres all you need to do is replace or patch the tube.

Is that safe on a motorcycle?

Is there a website with a tutorial that shows how to do that in general?

I've been reading up on these and it sounds like the wheels are super easy to remove...

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

How frequently should I realistically be changing the oil in my 2006 Ninja 650R? The owner's manual and factory service manual say new oil and filter every 600 miles, but that seems extremely excessive. At that rate, I'd be changing the oil and filter every three weeks.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

First change is at 600 mile, I'm betting you're reading that manual wrong.

3k is a good set interval.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Guinness posted:

How frequently should I realistically be changing the oil in my 2006 Ninja 650R? The owner's manual and factory service manual say new oil and filter every 600 miles, but that seems extremely excessive. At that rate, I'd be changing the oil and filter every three weeks.

http://www.ninja650r.co.cc/Pdf/99986-1293%202006%20ER-6F.pdf

I think the 1k interval listed in the manual is for the initial break-in oil change. After that, it looks like it wants oil every 12,000km or 7,200mi. Seems high especially for a common sump engine. If it were my Ninja, I'd probably stick to a every 4,000mi schedule.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Okay, derp, wow that makes way more sense. I should read closer, but this is kind of a counter-intuitive way to display a "periodic" maintenance table:

At a glance it look like it is saying every 600 miles, which is how most maintenance tables I'm familiar with would have presented it. Thanks for clearing that up guys.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 9, 2012

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
What is the best type of oil to put into an older motorcycle? (1978)

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Red Robin Hood posted:

What is the best type of oil to put into an older motorcycle? (1978)

Assuming you're talking about your SX250, it's a 2-stroke so it doesn't need crankcase oil - 2 stroke oil is different, it's burned with the intake charge, not pumped through the engine. I am not sure if you're supposed to premix oil in the fuel or if it has a reservoir, you should find that out. I use 76 Unimix in my DT175 and it seems to work well enough, no excessive smoke, hasn't seized yet.

Gearbox needs some engine oil though. You should be able to put pretty much any type of motorcycle oil in the gearbox. I use Castrol 10w40 dinosaur oil in the DT's gearbox.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Yeah it does have a separate reservoir I guess I should have clarified that ;)

I'll keep that in mind when I swing by the store today. Thanks!

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I run ATF type F in my 2T transmissions... works great in everything from my '71 R5 to my '03 YZ250.

tzam
Mar 17, 2009
So I've been having trouble with my 05 ninja 250, a tapping/rattling from the engine. I replaced the cam chain tensioner but no joy. I just changed the oil and the oil and filter came out clean. Is that enough to rule out serious bearing/rotating assembly damage? Bike has 21000 miles.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

tzam posted:

So I've been having trouble with my 05 ninja 250, a tapping/rattling from the engine. I replaced the cam chain tensioner but no joy. I just changed the oil and the oil and filter came out clean. Is that enough to rule out serious bearing/rotating assembly damage? Bike has 21000 miles.

Did you reinstall the CCT wrong? Does the noise come and go? Loud at idle, goes away under load?

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
:siren: Help! I called a number recommended by a website to get a key made for my '78 SX 250. The fellow asked me for an ignition number or something but I have NO idea where that would be. I looked in the service manual and the owner's manual but all the owner's manual says is to write down the number on the key so that if you lose it you can replace it :argh:

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Red Robin Hood posted:

:siren: Help! I called a number recommended by a website to get a key made for my '78 SX 250. The fellow asked me for an ignition number or something but I have NO idea where that would be. I looked in the service manual and the owner's manual but all the owner's manual says is to write down the number on the key so that if you lose it you can replace it :argh:

I believe you look on the key chamber and it'll be inscribed into it.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
drat. I looked and looked but couldn't see anything. Do I need to take the key chamber off the body and take it apart?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Red Robin Hood posted:

drat. I looked and looked but couldn't see anything. Do I need to take the key chamber off the body and take it apart?

I think you have to take the key chamber out and take a look on that, but don't quote me on it - I'm working off memory of what someone said a while ago and it's a bit hazy. Someone else here should be able to confirm.

tzam
Mar 17, 2009

Z3n posted:

Did you reinstall the CCT wrong? Does the noise come and go? Loud at idle, goes away under load?

Yeah sorry was posting from my phone, sucks for typing. It is noticeable at idle, gets faster and I think slightly louder at speed (although I can't really hear it over the regular engine racket without earplugs). Haven't really ridden hard since noticing the noise (just gone up and down the street a few times)so I can't tell if it gets louder under heavy load but definitely does not go away at light engine load. Sounded exactly the same pre CCT replacement, pretty sure its installed correctly, I did it twice as per the ninja 250 faq. It's not the Ninja clutch thumping noise, happens under all levels of engagement.

I did find an oil leak recently (valve cover), I'm pretty sure it never got below the sight glass minimum line though. About 2000km on the oil, came out clean (but dark), no particles of anything metallic (or anything else)(even ran a magnet through it).

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

How deployed is the CCT when you pull it out? Could be just that the cam chain has stretched beyond the limits.

tzam
Mar 17, 2009

Z3n posted:

How deployed is the CCT when you pull it out? Could be just that the cam chain has stretched beyond the limits.

The pushrod and bearing came out of the housing as I removed it, but the old one had grooves worn to around 5mm from the retention groove at the top of the pushrod, so that may well be the case. Is there a method to measure the chain wear? I'll hopefully have time to check the condition of the guides as well this week.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Shimrod posted:

I think you have to take the key chamber out and take a look on that, but don't quote me on it - I'm working off memory of what someone said a while ago and it's a bit hazy. Someone else here should be able to confirm.

Before I make any mistakes I'll wait for some more input :)

E: called MotoItalia and was able to get some solid information. I had to un-screw the chrome cap that the key goes through, take off the rubber piece the key goes into and then read the two really, really small numbers on that chrome piece under there. Wooh! Now I just need to find someone with that pre-cut :(

Red Robin Hood fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 10, 2012

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.

Yes.

Annd it starts! Wooo! :holy: It's really hard to push it in neutral though. I squeeze the front brake and there's no squeeze to 'em, the lever is REALLY high. Will it loosen up as I ride? Or should I bleed the brake a bit? If I do need to bleed . . . how? Just push the front brake valve?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Boru posted:

Yes.

Annd it starts! Wooo! :holy: It's really hard to push it in neutral though. I squeeze the front brake and there's no squeeze to 'em, the lever is REALLY high. Will it loosen up as I ride? Or should I bleed the brake a bit? If I do need to bleed . . . how? Just push the front brake valve?

You're using creatively vague language again.

What do you mean no squeeze? You can't move the lever in when you squeeze, or you pull it in all the way without feeling any resistance? What do you mean "REALLY high" (man)? What do you mean "push the front brake valve"?

Do you have a manual? If not, get a manual. It tells you step by step how to bleed brakes and if the bike's been sitting, you should definitely do new brake fluid before you ride it around. If you're too cheap for a manual, read/watch a few tutorials, it's a pretty standard process.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Found a guy that will cut and mail me two possible keys for my SX 250. $3/each shipped!

I'll report back early next week when I get 'em!

edit: is it easy to change the tube in a tire? Or should I take the tire off and bring it into a shop?

Red Robin Hood fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 10, 2012

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.

clutchpuck posted:

You're using creatively vague language again.

What do you mean no squeeze? You can't move the lever in when you squeeze, or you pull it in all the way without feeling any resistance? What do you mean "REALLY high" (man)? What do you mean "push the front brake valve"?

Do you have a manual? If not, get a manual. It tells you step by step how to bleed brakes and if the bike's been sitting, you should definitely do new brake fluid before you ride it around. If you're too cheap for a manual, read/watch a few tutorials, it's a pretty standard process.
Ugh sorry. Yeah we just bled the brakes last week. The front brake lever pulls back maybe a quarter inch before it's locked out. As for the valve question, my buddy bled the brakes FOR me while I was replacing the shoes on my rear brake, so I missed how he bled my fluid. :blush:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
You want resistance at the lever, a freshly bled brake is going to feel real firm. Is the brake dragging excessively? With the wheel off the ground, give it a solid spin by hand. If it goes around once or so before stopping on its own and if it stops immediately with a quick pull of the brake lever, it's looking good. The rotor will push the pads open a little as the bike rolls.

If it was recently bled, then I wouldn't worry too much about it.

If you're pushing it around in N with a cold bike, off, and the clutch lever out, it should definitely resist rolling. If you pull the clutch lever, hopefully it rolls easier?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Red Robin Hood posted:

Found a guy that will cut and mail me two possible keys for my SX 250. $3/each shipped!

I'll report back early next week when I get 'em!

edit: is it easy to change the tube in a tire? Or should I take the tire off and bring it into a shop?

You gotta remove the tire, remove the tube, put a new tube on, and put the tire back on the wheel. It's like changing a bicycle innertube. Z3n (or someone) will tell you it's pretty easy if you have a pair of tire spoons, but me, I'm lazy and would rather let a shop deal with it. It shouldn't take more than an hour of shop time to change both innertubes, especially if you take the wheels off and bring them to the shop.

Edit: this video show's what's involved: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqiSV4WZb-c

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
It's only the rear tire that had a nail in it. Front tire pumped up just fine.

Another question: what is a battery for if the bike is kick-start only?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The magneto (or whatever the bike has) is going to be generating all sorts of nasty voltages depending on how quickly the engine is revving. Things like headlights, indicators, relays, etc. aren't exactly delicate circuitry, but they don't like nasty voltage spikes. The battery smooths that out to a nice even 12 or 14 volts.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Safety Dance posted:

The magneto (or whatever the bike has) is going to be generating all sorts of nasty voltages depending on how quickly the engine is revving. Things like headlights, indicators, relays, etc. aren't exactly delicate circuitry, but they don't like nasty voltage spikes. The battery smooths that out to a nice even 12 or 14 volts.

well... the battery helps but the regulator is what does the 'smoothing'
however a lot of regulators will blow if there's no load on them so you need a battery to maintain that load.

Also, even if the bike kickstarts it won't necessarily charge at idle, meaning the magneto can't keep up with the electrical demands of the bike at idle. ESPECIALLY if the lights are on.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
OK so I guess my question is: if the bike hasn't been driven in about a year or so should I charge the battery first?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Red Robin Hood posted:

OK so I guess my question is: if the bike hasn't been driven in about a year or so should I charge the battery first?

It's always a good place to start. Seafoam in the carbs/tank never hurts either.