Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe
Yeah I just activated it online and it worked within a few minutes of that. I checked and I still have unlimited, so I don't have to go call and bitch to VZ to fix it. I read that some people were losing it and had to get Verizon to re-add it to the account but I seem to be fine.

Played with the phone until the battery died and it's on the charge now. 4g is a loving godsend, seriously. My 3g speeds at its worst sat around dial up and at its best be barely above half a megabit and shakey connection wise. 4g clocked in at a cool 23 megabits down 6 up on my first test. :coal:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I just received and activated my on-contract SGSIII, using the 4G SIM card from my Galaxy Nexus. Since I've done that, can I now switch back to the GNex, and then sell off the SGSIII? Will Verizon even know/care since I activated the new phone/renewed the contract?

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Aatrek posted:

I just received and activated my on-contract SGSIII, using the 4G SIM card from my Galaxy Nexus. Since I've done that, can I now switch back to the GNex, and then sell off the SGSIII? Will Verizon even know/care since I activated the new phone/renewed the contract?
The phone is yours to do with what you want. The point of the SIM card system is that you don't have to go through Verizon to switch devices.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Sweet. gently caress VZW, I'm going to get my $600 from eBay or wherever so I can buy the newly-announced 'Developer Edition' GS3 without a locked bootloader.

http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-offer-hacker-friendly-developer-edition-galaxy-s-iii

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Aatrek posted:

Sweet. gently caress VZW, I'm going to get my $600 from eBay or wherever so I can buy the newly-announced 'Developer Edition' GS3 without a locked bootloader.

http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-offer-hacker-friendly-developer-edition-galaxy-s-iii
Somehow that announcement makes them look like even bigger assholes.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

Aatrek posted:

It's having their cake and eating it too. Now they not only can sell a GS3 to the masses with Verizon's blessing, they can also sell a super overpriced version to gouge the hobbyists who are too stupid to think straight.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
$599 is the same price as the regular VZW 16GB version, off contract. It's not gauging, it's just not subsidized.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

Aatrek posted:

$599 is the same price as the regular VZW 16GB version, off contract. It's not gauging, it's just not subsidized.

Both of those are examples of gouging, as thoe prices are artificially inflated to promote subsidies.

And not only that, you get no warranty with this one. :thumbsup:

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
The part that really fucks me off about this situation is

quote:

Why is Verizon Wireless’ version locked?

Depending on the device, an open bootloader could prevent Verizon Wireless from providing the same level of customer experience and support because it would allow users to change the phone or otherwise modify the software and, potentially, negatively impact how the phone connects with the network The addition of unapproved software could also negatively impact the wireless experience for other customers. Unlocking the device also voids the warranty.

So what the gently caress exactly does offering a developer version solve? Nothing. Verizon is just making people go out of their way. They want to have their cake and eat it too. gently caress that.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Speaking of bootloader shenanigans, whatever happened to the warrantyless developer edition of the RAZR? It's said since January that it will be available in the "coming months". Obviously their "We'll start unlocking bootloaders in 2011" promise has turned out to be the bullshit that most of us knew it would be, but can it really be true they haven't managed to get even this half-assed nod towards the bootloader issue onto the market in the US?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

AppleCobbler posted:

And not only that, you get no warranty with this one. :thumbsup:
Did that come from another source? Because it doesn't say that in the linked article.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Did that come from another source? Because it doesn't say that in the linked article.

"Problems caused by unlocking the bootloader and installing custom software will not be covered by the warranty." So yes, it will have a warranty. Probably the standard 1-year manufacturer's I'd imagine.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Anyone wanna put money down on verizon letting you still pay 5-10 dollars per month for a warranty only to not honor it?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Samsunged again.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I've seen a fair number of posts on XDA where someone bricks their device by flashing canyon.mid over the radio firmware or something, and then immediately tries to make a warranty claim for their own screwup.

I suppose this does an end-run around that. Samsung handles the warranty, and keeps the bootloader-unlocking related stuff out of Verizon's hair. And since you brought your own device as opposed to buying it from Verizon, you can't dunk it in a bucket of water and call Asurion, either.

Also, assuming this actually ends up for sale, this'd be the first time we'd ever see an unsubsidized Verizon-compatible device sold by a third party, in the history of ever, right? I guess I'm actually hoping to see more of that, really, being as how Share Everything means I'm going to be on on the unsubsidized bring your own device train for the foreseeable future.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

right arm posted:

Samsunged again.

No, blame Verizon for this one - all the way around.

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful
My S3 arrived today, and as expected it won't activate from Alaska. Wouldn't be a big deal, except there is also apparently no way to skip activation on this phone. Wasn't expecting that, thought I'd at least be able to get the phone set up and use it on wi-fi until I visit the states, as I have with every other VZ phone I've owned.

The good news is that VZ is finally entering the Alaska market, so this will be the last time I go through this, but they aren't expected to go live for a while longer. This is probably a really outside chance, but when they start putting up new towers, do they put them up and get them working for testing but not made public? Maybe if I ask really nicely they'll let me hop on to a tower for a few minutes to activate.

I was at the Chamber of Commerce lunch today, and noticed Verizon's logo next to AT&T and one of the local carriers, that's new, and hopefully means they're going to start releasing details soon. So far it's just been notices in the paper about tower construction.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
This post on XDA might let you get past the NO SIM CARD screen:

tombepa;28572132 posted:

If it is like another Samsung I had, it's press the volume rocker down once, up twice, down again 3 times then up 4 times. I think. Sorry if I'm wrong.

Edit: might be backwards, start with up if that didn't work.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Aatrek posted:

That sounds like some sort of Konami code poo poo, that's hilarious.

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful

Aatrek posted:

Thanks, had tried that, and doesn't seem to work.

Even better is that while I apparently cannot activate my new phone from Alaska, they were able to deactivate my Droid X no problem. Trying to get them to turn it back on now

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

stormrider posted:

Thanks, had tried that, and doesn't seem to work.

Even better is that while I apparently cannot activate my new phone from Alaska, they were able to deactivate my Droid X no problem. Trying to get them to turn it back on now
Have you tried the four corner method? Touch each corner starting in the top left and rotate clockwise.

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful

SeaborneClink posted:

Have you tried the four corner method? Touch each corner starting in the top left and rotate clockwise.

I've tried that on a few different screens. There's never really a welcome screen like that though, it just goes straight to the language select

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe
I don't get why they're even putting out a new unlocked phone (other than $$$). Why couldn't they just release an unlocker or some poo poo instead and make everything a billion times simpler and everyone a lot happier? Ugh.

Well, it looks like there is at least a workable method to get around the bootloader thing anyway so I'd probably wait before plunking down anyway. I'm really impatient for root, but it currently looks pretty iffy. Or people are just retards and somehow getting their poo poo stuck in bootloops, but I'll wait a little and let it mature first just to err on the side of caution. I can survive a few weeks.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

slovach posted:

I don't get why they're even putting out a new unlocked phone (other than $$$). Why couldn't they just release an unlocker or some poo poo instead and make everything a billion times simpler and everyone a lot happier? Ugh.

Because Verizon won't let them. This way, as it's a unique device, they can circumvent that.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
So does the locked bootloader mean I can never install a custom Rom? I didn't realize how spoiled I was with Miui and CM7 on my Droid X until having to go back to stock on my GS3 :smith:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

SpartanIV posted:

So does the locked bootloader mean I can never install a custom Rom? I didn't realize how spoiled I was with Miui and CM7 on my Droid X until having to go back to stock on my GS3 :smith:

I believe there's already lots of progress on getting around the locked bootloader. That doesn't mean they won't push an update that fixes the holes that allow devs to get around it, though.

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe

Thermopyle posted:

I believe there's already lots of progress on getting around the locked bootloader. That doesn't mean they won't push an update that fixes the holes that allow devs to get around it, though.

Which is why if you're holding out on that hope, it's probably not in your best interest to accept any OTA updates that come your way for the time being. :v:

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

Rent posted:

Really, bro? Do you think everyone must absolutely love their job and think every higher-up decision is gold? People can be good at their job but loving loathe management, like oh I don't know every single person in the world practically.

Sounds like the dude just realizes all the poo poo Verizon is trying to pull lately.

Honestly, I used to be proud to be a vzw employee. They slowly started cutting back on benefits while paying us less to work even harder. They're firing people who have been with the company for years for performance after rapidly and constantly changing performance metrics and focuses within a short period of time. Then, they pushed all employee's to a 20-month upgrade period as opposed to our long running 10 month upgrade period at 2-year pricing. I blame a lot of this on the iphone boom and all the subsidies we paid out on them.

I still perform very well at my job and never let the customer know I'm a disgruntled employee. My managers know I'm not happy there as I wasn't afraid to communicate my concerns with them because first of all they know my value to the company and second I also know they can't do anything about it. Morale is at an all time low right now, at least in my region. I'm just at the point where I advocate for the customer than care more about the company's bottom line.

We used to get paid very well for dealing with really dumb customer's and people who still live in the age of entitlement to a free phone. We still get paid fairly well but it sucks to feel like you played a part in the company's ginormous success only to get shunned and treated like poo poo when the economy declines. I've been there 6 years and the culture has changed drastically.

Anyway, I don't mean to turn this into an e/n post but I just wanted to clarify my position.

kstatix fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jul 11, 2012

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

SpartanIV posted:

So does the locked bootloader mean I can never install a custom Rom?
There's already a proof-of-concept custom kernel that runs on the Verizon SGS3, so custom ROMs aren't really a problem for devices purchased today.

The big issue is if an update is pushed to block the current hole in the bootloader, then devices purchased in the future that ship with that update may not be capable of running custom poo poo, limiting the Verizon SGS3 audience and developer appeal. But with an actual developer model to come, I'm less worried about that.

Now, there's a few ways this can play out. One, the developer unit might be hardware-identical and use the same bootloader signing key, in which case it can be flashed to any Verizon SGS3 making all the units effectively developer units. That would be a big "gently caress you" from Samsung, but so obvious I wouldn't count on it.

The second is that folks actually figure out a way to crack the hardware and flash a developer or other carrier (the USCC model?) bootloader which, depending on how much hardware hackery it requires (e.g., surface mount soldering) may not be a great option for most, but the one that's most flexible.

The third is that the current hole is plugged, but the bootloader remains downgradable, either directly via Odin or future root exploits. This makes the situation not as convenient as the developer unit, but at least custom kernels/ROMs will be possible.

The final outcome is that the current hole gets plugged and the custom kernel gravy train ends for new units and anyone with the misfortune of accepting an OTA update. But again, with the developer model out there, I don't think you folks will be left in the dark in terms of ROM availability.

Also keep in mind that the Droid X has a locked bootloader (unless one leaked? I haven't been following), so that's evidence of what folks can manage to do even despite this stupidness.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

SpartanIV posted:

No. I've had custom ROMs on both my locked bootloader Motorola devices (D2G, D4).

Kegwen
Feb 22, 2003

SpartanIV posted:

The Droid X's bootloader is locked as all hell. I wouldn't say that anyone with a Droid X is spoiled as far as custom ROMs go, though I suppose it's not the worst possible situation.

The DX was such a popular phone that people managed to sort of hack around it with ridiculous bootstraps. I'm pretty sure that even the rather decent MIUI ICS builds for the DX are on the stock OTA Gingerbread kernel. However, it's certainly not out of the question to expect people to hack around the SGS3's encrypted bootloader, too.

My frustration with the Droid X led me directly to the GNex. I hope subsidized SGS3 owners have better luck.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Can we please not use the term "encrypted bootloader"? The SGS3's bootloader isn't encrypted, and even if it were it's not relevant to it being locked, or specifically, that it will only boot signed "boot" kernels.

"Encrypted bootloader" might be an accurate (but still misleading) term in the Motorola/OMAP world. But otherwise it's an xdaism that suggests a lack of technical understanding of the actual problem, which adds to the general pain and difficulty of discourse on xda.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I have an LG EnV 3 dumbphone. Over the last 2 years, I have had several times where I can send out text messages but I cannot receive them. This happened to me again last night. I have to refresh my roaming capabilities and take out my battery for a couple of minutes. Why does my phone keep going through this? My wife has the exact same phone and she has never once had to do it.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Kegwen posted:

My frustration with the Droid X led me directly to the GNex. I hope subsidized SGS3 owners have better luck.

Several of us on the forums made that same switch! Interestingly enough, stock works perfectly, so I haven't bothered with custom ROMs at all.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Didn't some sort of key for the Droid X's bootloader get leaked or something that allowed custom kernels to get flashed?

Or did I just make that up?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Didn't some sort of key for the Droid X's bootloader get leaked or something that allowed custom kernels to get flashed?

That was a hoax.

Kegwen
Feb 22, 2003

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Several of us on the forums made that same switch! Interestingly enough, stock works perfectly, so I haven't bothered with custom ROMs at all.

I may try out custom ROMs once they integrate Jelly Bean, but I'm really happy with stock ICS right now. It's also way easier to type on this phone. Love it.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Aatrek posted:

You know what? I'm keeping the standard version and just running root with Nova Launcher. There are a couple of TouchWiz things that bug me, but most of it can be hidden away while the devs work on cracking the bootloader. It's good enough for me.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Aatrek posted:

There are a couple of TouchWiz things that bug me, but most of it can be hidden away while the devs work on cracking the bootloader.
Again, just in case it wasn't clear, the current bootloader already can run custom kernels and custom ROMs.

The present workaround method works perfectly fine. The only issue is that it's a bit inconvenient as every reboot requires going into recovery and applying "an update" but it's hardly a big deal, and something that can be automated in the long run if the bootloader situation isn't resolved otherwise. Incidentally that's exactly how I've been running CM9 on my Epic since January.

In other news, CM9 nightlies are available for the Sprint SGS3 model. I highly suspect that this would "just work" on the Verizon model if someone can get off the "let's brick ourselves 'hacking' the bootloader" and "gently caress you Samsung for releasing a dev unit and taking more of our money" threads to compile the drat thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Or did I just make that up?

Some crazy rear end in a top hat leaked an engineering bootloader unlocker for the Photon and the Atrix. Sadly, no Moto device on Verizon has been given the same treatment. Oddly enough, the Photon & Atrix are Tegra2 devices. I wonder if some brave soul could adapt that to the Droid X2 as well.

• Locked thread