Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

It's kind of funny that some of the FF games had so many versions and remakes you have to ask what's better but all those remakes stop just before FF7

Edit: As for what to play GBA games on, I wouldn't feel too bad about using emulation. As far as I know Nintendo straight up stopped manufacturing systems that play GBA games at this point.

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jul 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Do they seriously not manufacture new DS Lite units anymore? That's unfortunate.

I admit that I'd like one of the new 3DS XLs for the few 3DS exclusives I want, but I'd still keep my DS Lite for my GBA games.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Hooray!

Exdeath went out like a chump, and Neo Exdeath wasn't much harder. Definitely trying the hard mode next time. This was also the first time I ever beat FFV :)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Congratulations! That's a pretty unorthodox team to win with in your first playthrough (or at least first completed playthrough), too!

RME
Feb 20, 2012

4 white mages hasn't been as hard or slow as I expected. I'm almost at garula, so we'll see if that changes anything, shouldn't be too bad info crack a frost rod over his head.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

RME posted:

4 white mages hasn't been as hard or slow as I expected. I'm almost at garula, so we'll see if that changes anything, shouldn't be too bad info crack a frost rod over his head.

White Mages can't equip Rods, though.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I assume he's going to use frost rods as items to kill him.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Mill Village posted:

I assume he's going to use frost rods as items to kill him.

You have to equip the rod first, though.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Pablo Gigante posted:

Hooray!

Exdeath went out like a chump, and Neo Exdeath wasn't much harder. Definitely trying the hard mode next time. This was also the first time I ever beat FFV :)

That's heartening - I'm assigned the same party as you, only with a blue mage instead of thief. Everyone has had !Summon throughout, though I'm close to getting a summoner with !Revive (the final chemist ability) too. I'm going up castle exdeath at the end of world 2 and it's been mostly fine so far - then again, a whole party with Titan will do that. I've also never finished it, and I'm looking forward to catching up with where I was previously.

I forgot about the insane ABP grinding at the bottom floor of the castle in world 2 with those freaky armour things, too.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I wanted to try Final Fantasy 4 for the first time, is the Complete Collection that's on the PS Vita a good version to try?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I wanted to try Final Fantasy 4 for the first time, is the Complete Collection that's on the PS Vita a good version to try?

Yep, its the old sprite-based art (rather than the chibi-esque 3D models from the DS remake) and comes with the sequel game After Years (YMMV with After Years, its got decent gameplay but a horribly derivative story and a way-too-high encounter rate)

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I'm pretty sure the PSP version is identical to the GBA version besides graphics, meaning you can choose your party for the endgame and the new section of Mt. Ordeals and Lunar Ruins added in.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

jannik posted:

Sorry for bring this up again, I know this question has been answered a number of times in the old thread, but I just can't find the post right now.

Anyways, which version of FF1 to 6 do you recommend I play assuming I have access to all systems?
On this very page people recommend the GBA version of FF5. That won't work on the 3DS right? Do I need an original DS (or GBA) to play it?

Maybe the OP could be edited to include the recommended version of each game?

1: I'd recommend Origins on PS1 (PSN), which uses the leveled spell charges system rather than using MP, and retains some of the challenge from the original. However, the GBA version (and the PSP version derived from it) has bonus content and is easier overall, though it's a bit less authentic. The iOS version is also based on the GBA one, but it uses a serif font for everything and that just kills it for me.
2: Probably best not to play this one at all. However, the GBA and PSP versions rebalance the level curve to make it slightly less horrid in at least one way. If you're willing to use a translation patch, NES original has some entertainingly exploitable bugs, but it's not otherwise recommendable.
3: The DS and iOS versions are identical, and they have high production values and are well-balanced experiences. Those fancy graphics come at the cost of running slower, but if you're playing Final Fantasy you probably don't care too much about that.
4: This is probably the most difficult choice. The PSP version is probably the best overall, and it also comes packaged with its (underwhelming) sequel. Some find the redrawn sprites ugly, in which case the GBA version retains all the gameplay including extensive bonus content but uses the original graphics (though you should be warned that most copies of the US version have some very noticeable and peculiar glitches in the ATB system). Nostalgia fiends will prefer the PS1 or SNES versions, available on PSN and Wii VC, which have that rich SNES audio, terse but functional translation, no bonus content, and, in the latter case, the simpler gameplay of the first US release. Finally, the DS version substantially alters the game mechanics and rebalances the enemies to be a more challenging experience for veterans of the game.
5: Get the GBA version. Period.
6: The SNES version (available on Wii VC) has superior visuals and audio, but the GBA version has a slightly improved localization and fixes most of the gameplay bugs. The bonus content is not really worth mentioning. I recommend you base your decision on whether you want it to be portable.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Rasamune posted:

You have to equip the rod first, though.

to break a rod? I don't think that's true.

e: I guess it is. This got a lot trickier.
ee: Garula wasn't that bad, overall I thought this segment would be a lot harder/sloggier but it really wasn't that bad.

RME fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 11, 2012

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

RME posted:

to break a rod? I don't think that's true.

e: I guess it is. This got a lot trickier.

I know you can just use rods like items in the SNES version (as shown here).

I don't know if you can in the GBA version, though.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
They're equipping them first. Looks like they are all freelancers.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Oh, you're right. I didn't notice that. :doh:

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
4 White Wizards for Garula is still as easy as anything else. The biggest thing you can do is get the Heal Staff. It just takes a lot of patience. Protect everyone then beat him up with the 3 that actually deal damage. Spot heal with the heal staff. Once Garula begins countering, just attack with the person who has the flail equipped. Everything up to the Water Crystal is easily doable (just mind numbing). Just remember that Protect, Silence and Heal Staff are your friends.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/223146659494895616

Oh. Oh my :ohdear:

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

It's all right. Just get a Death Sickle ASAP.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Yeah, a white mage and 3 berserkers might not be too terrible. May want to switch to 2 berserkers/2 white mages for Liquid Flame, though, so you don't get countered into the ground.

Remember your berserkers can still use white magic out of battle to heal.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Yeah white mage + :black101::black101::black101: at least has offense now. But man fights are going to be super auto pilot for a bit.

Modoh
Jul 23, 2007

Finished my 2nd run, pretty easy between Magic Knight and Blue Mage.

I did start up an "extreme" run as well (random from the entire job pool for each crystal, using codes to unlock the jobs). I was hoping for an unusual job combination, but instead I got 2 Berserkers and 2 Dancers. At least this run will be challenging!

Byblos has been the hardest boss thus far, he needed a ton of retries until I got lucky enough with counters and sword dances.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Berserkers are actually quite nasty, they just need some babysitting on a few counter-prone enemies. Of course, I got Knight along with Berserker so they're doublehanding everything.

Since you'll be juggling a lot of the axe guys early on, look up which axes/hammers do the same damage from the back row. I think it's only 2 of the later ones but if I'm wrong about that it may wind up useful.

EDIT: as for my own self, my Knight/Berserker/Time/Summoner is ready to take on Exdeath and I think I'll go for Shinryuu as well. With the "berserk/guard" trick is there an easy way to get everyone low enough to trigger the knight's autocover or do I need to just start hitting myself and hope I get lucky? I got a Power Staff as a drop so I don't need to worry about the Wonder Rod cycling.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 11, 2012

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Bruceski posted:

EDIT: as for my own self, my Knight/Berserker/Time/Summoner is ready to take on Exdeath and I think I'll go for Shinryuu as well. With the "berserk/guard" trick is there an easy way to get everyone low enough to trigger the knight's autocover or do I need to just start hitting myself and hope I get lucky? I got a Power Staff as a drop so I don't need to worry about the Wonder Rod cycling.

I did this trick for the first time to kill him on my Knight/White/Blue/Monk fiesta.

The tricky thing here is that I'm pretty sure he always starts the battle with a Tidal Wave, which will heal critical characters to full if they have a Coral Ring or kill them if they don't and don't block it. You can either let people die and keep rezzing them with Phoenix Down until your setup is rolling, or fight him normally and just try your best to stay kicking until he uses Maelstrom. I got lucky and he Maelstromed pretty early and hit all four people, so my killshot looked like this:

It works fabulously, I kept expecting him to gently caress me over by attacking right as my Knight's turn came up before I could input the Guard command, but it never happened (and he took me a while to kill because my best offense was Holy; he absorbs light). Remember that Summon can give you an additional buffer against that in the form of Golem, and you may wanna consider manually hasting everyone *but* the Knight so their turn comes up less often giving him less of an opportunity to get a hit in edgewise.

Baku fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 11, 2012

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

RME posted:

Alright, went ahead and stuck with 4 white mages. Karlabos is down, no real trouble except for slogging through the health pool.
It's going to be a long pre-fire crysal.

Don't forget the flail (I forgot the flail) in the ship graveyard. On the upside Siren's easy as hell with 4 white mages and in all honesty, nothing can kill you before the next crystal unless you royally gently caress up. Just remember that Protect is your friend.

Hope you're not playing hardmode like I was. Offense? What's that? Oh the Liquid Flame can eventually run out of MP, but hase MP pools for each form? Hurray! :shepface:

TheIllestVillain posted:

Well I beat FFIV recently and I by beat I mean got to the end, realised I was way too underleveled to take on the last bunch of bosses and watched the ending on youtube.

Anyway I'm going to move on to FFV, any advice on which version to play?

what version were you playing? Even the hardtype SNES version should be doable at 50 or lower. Worst case scenario you let edge die after throwing all your high damage items at Zeromus so that Rosa's Cure 4 restores the remaining party members for larger amounts of hp.

If it's the DS version and you don't have any of the good augments I could see the moon being hell, but only because random encounters on the moon are literally harder than the boss fights because that game's difficulty is less of a curve and more of a pretzel. Some enemies, like the Flame Dogs, are a bit overkill in the DS version.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Bruceski posted:

Eh, if you've got extra Phoenix Downs you may just want to skip critical/guard setup. He'll kill a person a round, but if you keep some people constantly throwing phoenix downs you should never be in any real danger- there's no need to heal because he'll probably kill people even from full health. Alternately, give everybody Summon secondary and keep summoning Golem. With this plan you can use Coral Rings and not worry about his opening move killing/healing you. Otherwise, you'll need the haste shoes to berserk him before he gets a move.

If you do want to get people to critical, Time Mages have Gravity/Graviga to lower people's health without risk of killing them (unless you can't self-target those spells. I forget).

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I just started playing Crisis Core and I'm already sick of "MODULATING PHASE" then a roulette spin and cutscene almost every battle. I don't really understand what that whole thing is about even though there's a tutorial on it.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Finally beat FF 13-2 after a hard and grueling battle, and was rewarded with the worst poo poo ending since Mass Effect 3's original ending.

Such a bad game. Tons of areas are simply copy-pasted with a filter on, the backtracking is maddening, the mini-games are poo poo, and the story is pure nonsense told in the worst way possible. Caius' VA was great and I enjoyed most if the music but this is the worst of the modern FFs by far. Yes, I rate it below 13 and 11.

Best part of the game was Caius stabbing the protagonists finally making them shut up for a second. I hope I never hear the word "Paradox" ever again.

Does the Lightning DLC resolve the story or is just more nonsense? I guess it could be both, though. Such a waste of potential.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

Renoistic posted:

Finally beat FF 13-2 after a hard and grueling battle, and was rewarded with the worst poo poo ending since Mass Effect 3's original ending.
With N7 armor in the game there really should be an xzibit picture of it with something like a 'yo dawg I heard you liked games with bad/no endings'. In fact I'm sure it exists on the internet somewhere. It must.

Renoistic posted:

Such a bad game. Tons of areas are simply copy-pasted with a filter on, the backtracking is maddening, the mini-games are poo poo
Tons of areas are the same areas at different times though. :confused: I'm not sure what you'd want them to do there.

As for minigames; Chronobind owns. :dealwithit:

Renoistic posted:

Does the Lightning DLC resolve the story or is just more nonsense? I guess it could be both, though. Such a waste of potential.
It does not resolve anything except explaining why Lighting is crystal. I mean there's some catharsis, but not enough to call it resolving anything. It also helps set it up for a XIII-3

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Winks posted:

Tons of areas are the same areas at different times though. :confused: I'm not sure what you'd want them to do

I'm just annoyed there are so few unique areas in the game. Instead of designing more locations they let you visit the same few areas over and over, with the only differences being filters and a few opened paths! Instead of letting you visit Oerba in the past when people still lived there you get to visit the same abandoned Oerba to solve puzzles, THREE TIMES :effort:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I'm curious if my opinion will change later when I start running into that hardcore repetition, but so far I'm loving 13-2 if only because it feels like an actual videogame. 13 was basically an animated movie sometimes interrupted by boss fights. This game seemingly had a branching path in the first 5 hours.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

You can take or leave the ending of FF13-2, but comparing it to ME3 is kind of silly.

Mass Effect was all about actions having long-tailed consequences, and then the ending gave you a whole new problem and a meaningless choice.

FF13-2 is basically episodic and not super serious, but at the end it follows through on all the bad poo poo you were forewarned about (and probably ignored) in a sequence that mirrors the end of FF13, where they chickened out and pulled a happy ending out of thin air. 13-2 is about how that kind of ending wrecks the integrity of a fictional world and gradually turns players numb and incredulous.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I enjoy 13-2. However, its plot is beyond incomprehensible. If you delve into the chaos, you can decipher the major plot threads, but so much goes unexplained and it's all so overly complicated and confused that I kept wondering if I missed entire cutscenes after zoning out for seconds. Part of the problem is that time-travel isn't well-explained (wait, poo poo in the future can affect the past?), and the word "Paradox" loses all meaning by the end due to its ubiquitousness throughout. The ending itself, though, was actually foreshadowed and made sense from what the game had told me, so I didn't have a problem with it.

The lack of a synopsis doesn't help things, either.

XIII's problem is that it had a decent story told poorly. XIII-2's problem is that it had a nonsense story told really, really confusingly.

Arist fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jul 12, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Not that I've played more than an hour or so of the game, (though I have watched the 100% ending and the reaction from the poor chap playing it, and the current LPs going on), I'd actually have more respect for SE if it ended on a sign saying:

"You're a stupid fucker for 100%ing this game. This is a blatent "To Be Cont." ending, because we're shameless, shameless whores who are going to milk this XIII stuff into the loving ground and make you buy another game with our lovely writing. But hey, at least it's better than our previous bowel movement, in that it's an actual loving game this time, and probably the next time too. See, we're improving."

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Pablo Gigante posted:

I'm pretty sure the PSP version is identical to the GBA version besides graphics, meaning you can choose your party for the endgame and the new section of Mt. Ordeals and Lunar Ruins added in.
It also features a fast forward button which is really great for skipping through battles with trash enemies. Can't be mentioned enough, every port of a Final Fantasy game should have this.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

MrAristocrates posted:

XIII's problem is that it had a decent story told poorly.

I feel this is a difficult conclusion to draw given that, after having beaten 13 a second time just to watch the ending again, I'm still not sure what the last boss was supposed to be or what happened. I hesitate to call it a decent story because I don't even really understand what was going on for substantial chunks of it; I did like most of the characters though.

I think 13 let me down even harder because I didn't read much of anything about it before launch day and was still psyched after watching this trailer which maybe says as much about me as the game.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I think 13 let me down even harder because I didn't read much of anything about it before launch day and was still psyched after watching this trailer which maybe says as much about me as the game.

I was going to say that's fine, the trailer was pretty good and got the blood pumping and was visually interesting, thinking it was this trailer...and then I heard Leona Lewis sing, and wanted to die again, rather than listen to her warble about washing her hands or whatever she's doing.

Couldn't they have chosen a song that at least fit with whatever theme they were trying to do?

At the very least, there are plenty of interesting ideas in XIII, but they are told so badly, or pushed aside in favour of whatever other nonsense the writers wanted to shove down our throats.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 12, 2012

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Bruceski posted:

Berserkers are actually quite nasty, they just need some babysitting on a few counter-prone enemies. Of course, I got Knight along with Berserker so they're doublehanding everything.

Since you'll be juggling a lot of the axe guys early on, look up which axes/hammers do the same damage from the back row. I think it's only 2 of the later ones but if I'm wrong about that it may wind up useful.

Yeah, speaking of counter-happy enemies, I just took down liquid flame, probably the most dangerous fight I've had so far, but three beserkers only know blood. Only Blood. Whoever suggested cutting to 2/2 is a whimp.
I'm enjoying beserkers more than I thought I would, they certainly hit like a truck when they do hit. My view might be skewed from having 4 offensive white mages though

e: beastmaster. I never liked beastmaster really.

RME fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jul 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I feel this is a difficult conclusion to draw given that, after having beaten 13 a second time just to watch the ending again, I'm still not sure what the last boss was supposed to be or what happened. I hesitate to call it a decent story because I don't even really understand what was going on for substantial chunks of it; I did like most of the characters though.

If you watch the XIII cutscenes uninterrupted it's pretty easy to follow. I wouldn't be surprised if that's how they wrote the story, completely ignoring the chunks of gameplay between cutscenes.