Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

You mean "unable to be knocked about."
No, I mean "able to take sweeping corners faster than anyone else because they stuck to the road like glue."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Dr. Faustus posted:

No, I mean "able to take sweeping corners faster than anyone else because they stuck to the road like glue."
Lightglobe's could do that - not necessarily all of the Elevens could, though. :( (mine couldn't)

vvvvv yeah I've since gone back and added aero to mine. :)

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jul 9, 2012

Lightglobe
Oct 15, 2005
That's because you didn't put aero on it. Pretty sure Tophat did because he was cornering at similar speeds to me.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Where has everyone gone? The last several times I've jumped on to race, between 0 or 2, at most, other dudes are playing. Even the guys I regularly crashed into raced with when I played more often are missing.

Southpaw
Mar 9, 2006

Cannot Find Server posted:

Where has everyone gone? The last several times I've jumped on to race, between 0 or 2, at most, other dudes are playing. Even the guys I regularly crashed into raced with when I played more often are missing.

I've been meaning to ask where you went. I think some lobbies have been going around 5pm pst and later on most nights. I know nothing about earlier in the day, though.

Caseface, that video is awesome thanks for making it.

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.
We had at least 10 people for dice racing for a good chunk of time last night.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"
I would like to use my d16 sometime.

Like tonight, at 8 pm est.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CaseFace McGee posted:

Thanks for the great racing last night. There were some fantastic battles all night long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW-ntXaoXG0&hd=1

EDIT: added HD goodness

Spotted my Corvair ("more like IOwn-cutthetrack-ulous" I think I heard), my RS1800 and my '70 Boss (both of which drive more or less like the rear shocks aren't really there).

Lot of good racing this weekend, I think I saved a handful of replays that I should sift through.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
I was all fired up to make a Cuban Pete livery, in honour of last night, but theres not a single mask or jim carrey vinyl anywhere to be found :(

Gonna try (and probly fail) at making my own.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund
I just sent a request to join AUGR under GT: Molgandhi, because GISH was empty for rivals. I think I'm on the spreadsheet... At least I'm on a spreadsheet. If someone could post a link to the current one that'd be swell.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Is there any consensus for a PC game that is remotely as cool as current Forza or Gran Turismo titles?

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Michael Scott posted:

Is there any consensus for a PC game that is remotely as cool as current Forza or Gran Turismo titles?

Not as far as I know. There are plenty of great sims on the PC but I don't think there is anything that compares to the car collecting side of Forza/Gran Turismo which is a shame.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Not as much for the collection of cars, but stuff like project CARS, rFactor 2 and Assetto Corsa means we get plenty of cool cars and fantastic tracks to drive on.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Falken posted:

Not as much for the collection of cars, but stuff like project CARS, rFactor 2 and Assetto Corsa means we get plenty of cool cars and fantastic tracks to drive on.

GTR 3 too. None of these games are complete though, but should be out sometime between the end of this year, and early next year.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Michael Scott posted:

iRacing is a step above as far as realism and handling. There are about 2 dozen cars, and a bunch of tracks. Getting good enough to place a podium finish takes some serious practice on the rookie levels. Both Forza and iRacing tout their physics engines as being ultra real, yet throwing a spec miata around Laguna sec a is very very different between the two games.

There is no AI in iRacing. Only real players, and crashes bump you down into lower classes.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I really want to try iRacing, but there's no free trial of any kind. And I keep hearing that if you aren't any good, you can get kicked out of the game or kicked down to a lower rating and lose access to a bunch of stuff you've paid for.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Racing sims on the PC are in between generations right now. The only thing really available are racing games that are pretty ancient at this point, with the exception of iRacing. People are still playing rFactor and that game is almost the same age as Forza 1. And there's nothing wrong with that, but it looks like complete rear end; it's tough going from something like Forza 4, to playing rFactor, and not having it really bug you because its such a ugly looking game.

Assetto Corsa, and Project Cars though are just mind blowing in the graphics department. Insanely realistic looking car and track detail.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jul 10, 2012

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

I said come in! posted:

Racing sims on the PC are in between generations right now. The only thing really available are racing games that are pretty ancient at this point, with the exception of iRacing. People are still playing rFactor and that game is almost the same age as Forza 1. And there's nothing wrong with that, but it looks like complete rear end; it's tough going from something like Forza 4, to playing rFactor, and not having it really bug you because its such a ugly looking game.

Assetto Corsa, and Project Cars though are just mind blowing in the graphics department. Insanely realistic looking car and track detail.

Assetto and Project are as of yet unreleased though right? I know Project has some free beta available that I'm going to try as soon as I can.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Project CARS is still in Alpha testing, but you can get in on the monthly builds for like $10 and get a $10 discount once the game officially launches. I have a thread about it here; http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3442852 it doesn't get many posts currently though, because there's really nothing to talk about right now. The car and track list in the OP are not up to date, there's a lot missing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I've heard that it's not exactly all that great in the physics department at the moment, but is it worth 10 bucks? I want to try a PC racing game and I'm torn between that six dollar deal iRacing has and the ten bucks for the Project CARS alpha.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cojawfee posted:

I really want to try iRacing, but there's no free trial of any kind. And I keep hearing that if you aren't any good, you can get kicked out of the game or kicked down to a lower rating and lose access to a bunch of stuff you've paid for.

Nope. You have to maintain a 3.0 or higher safety rating to run races above rookie level. You gain SR by not crashing often in races (practice doesn't count against SR). If you crash, go off track or spin out you lose SR.

You don't lose access to purchased content, but if you crash people on purpose, or wreck your car every race, you will lose SR required to qualify for advanced races. You can use all your content at any time for solo testing.

Basically the SR isn't something to worry about as long as you don't rampage.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, though I'd wager most Forza players would have an easier time gaining SR on road courses than on ovals. I fasttracked twice on road course, but took forever to gain one level in oval.

Mac Tonight
Mar 12, 2006

aw yeah tahts it man

speedtek posted:

We had at least 10 people for dice racing for a good chunk of time last night.

Thanks for hollerin you son of a bitch

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
I just got my hands on rFactor, and like people have said the graphics aren't at Forza 4 levels. However, with the track packs that are available, I can race on a ton of tracks that aren't on Forza. I now understand what some of you meant when you said that the old Hockenheim was better.

The controls aren't nearly as gamepad-friendly, though. I've got my 360 controller hooked up, with 15-20% deadzone and minimum sensitivity, and it's still awful twitchy compared to what I'm used to with Forza. I also had to turn on auto-clutch :eng99: because I kept losing control while braking hard for tight corners. I tried approximating heel-toe, but it just wasn't working.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

I've heard that it's not exactly all that great in the physics department at the moment, but is it worth 10 bucks? I want to try a PC racing game and I'm torn between that six dollar deal iRacing has and the ten bucks for the Project CARS alpha.

I've had Project CARS for a couple months and feel like I got my $10/$25 out of it. It's far enough along that you have a small selection of pretty nice cars and tracks (and a larger selection of halfway developed stuff) and the AI isn't terrible by racing game standards. The physics feel really good to me other than some glitchy issues with oversteer where the game will suddenly decide you're not sliding anymore and dart you into a wall, but all the cars in the game currently are high performance race cars and I have no idea how they actually drive.

There are some parts like the suspension modeling and graphics and driving feedback that are way beyond any other racing game I've played. The only catch is I think you have to buy the second tier up from the cheapest one to get access to the point to point road courses they added recently. Also it's not anywhere near complete so there aren't any objectives or online competition or anything like that, just setting up custom AI races or running time trials.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I might try it out, as long as I can upgrade membership at a later time if I want. I'll probably get Project CARS and try out the half off iRacing at some point.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"
Hey everybody this is bentron coming to you live, track side to remind you there will be dice racing in about a half hour. Send me a message of interest with great enthusiasm!

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.

CaseFace McGee posted:

I've got my 360 controller hooked up, with 15-20% deadzone and minimum sensitivity

Assuming Rfactor treats "deadzone" as it should, you've got it waaay too high. Deadzone means the amount you need to press the stick before it registers. Say for example your analog stick was REALLY loose and waggley, then you'd want 20% deadzone so that the waggle didn't register as steering.

But on a decent condition pad you want like, 5% max deadzone. I run at 1 or 2% on Forza and assuming your pad is in decent nick then it should be the same.

All turning the deadzone will do (in most games) is reduce where the 0-100% starts and stops on the stick. So basicly you're cramming in the same amount of steering input into a smaller control (the throw of the stick).

One of the Colin Mcrae games (I think) had the most useful analog control option: Saturation. You could set it so that moving the stick halfway would equal about 25% input, meaning you had MUCH greater control over small turning adjustments.

Really wish Forza had the same option. I've considered getting one of those "hardcore pro-gamerz" thumbstick caps, but I can't find any in the UK that look decent without being like £25.

Are there any controller mods or anything that you can do to improve it I wonder? Maybe taller analog sticks or something.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
So I watched Gymkhana 5 and decided that I wanted to build a big retarded Fiesta. So I throw about 540hp at it and take it for a drive on Maple Valley Short Reverse. While coming around the nice big last left sweeper, I get my first perfect drift. Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture, but holy poo poo is this thing fun.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I wish people posted more car pics. It's a pain in the rear end but it seems to get people interested.

Tonight GTCC is doing D-Class "Unlimited." As in, start with a D Class car and do whatever you can to get it to D350.
What did I do? I picked a Mustang, tuned it poorly, put hours into making logos for it, and then handed the tune off to Slobbergoat/Mr. Spades Slick to see if he could tame if for a mediocre driver like I am.

So this car might be more show than go, but I'm happy to show it off because I have CaseFace McGee to thank for the DiMarzio and King's X logos. I did the Ibanez logo last week and the Peavey logo last night.

Lest anyone think this is somehow impressive, you ought to look at the work of PS Bonnett (Jinglebells) or Sunday Crunch/Sunday Punch before you get too enthusiastic. My poo poo is stripes and sophomoric crap, but I still like it.

This is the Mustang that I probably will drive awfully tonight in GTCC's D-Class races:

So I ask you, what are you driving, and what are you working on?

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 11, 2012

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

This is car related, so: $31m Ferrari 250 crashed

Judging by the injuries, the car is probably totalled, and it looks like it was crashed into another 250.

:negative:

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
Here's mine:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Falken posted:

Judging by the injuries, the car is probably totalled, and it looks like it was crashed into another 250.

It certainly sucks, but I'm always a fan of cars being used as cars rather than museum pieces. I'm glad it went out doing what it was built to do.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Captain Hair posted:

Assuming Rfactor treats "deadzone" as it should, you've got it waaay too high. Deadzone means the amount you need to press the stick before it registers. Say for example your analog stick was REALLY loose and waggley, then you'd want 20% deadzone so that the waggle didn't register as steering.

The controller that I'm using is a bit worn out, so the deadzone is set high to compensate. Also, there's nothing like the saturation control that you mentioned - at least, I haven't found one. These settings are the closest that I've come to getting the steering to feel similar to Forza. There might be some third-party drivers that would do a better job, but I mainly grabbed rFactor to putz around on some new tracks. Monaco in a high-powered muscle car, anyone? :getin:

You mentioned that you wished Forza had a saturation control. After hooning about in rFactor, Forza's controls feel plenty saturated as is. I can control my cars' steering pretty accurately in small, high-speed increments. With rFactor, I have to concentrate much harder to put in a lap as smoothly as I can. I'm nowhere near as smooth of a driver in rFactor as I am in Forza. I think T10 did a pretty drat good job of making Forza's physics as real as possible, without making the game too difficult for people using gamepads. GT5 somewhat suffers from the "if it's super-difficult, it's realistic" sim mentality, and PC sims like rFactor and iRacing are definitely designed to be used with a wheel which makes their gamepad use very difficult. Forza brings the best of accurate physics and playability, IMO.

Dr. Faustus, I better see that Peavey logo in my inbox when I log on to Forza to build my car. Your livery for this week looks great, by the way.

The Science Goy fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jul 11, 2012

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Falken posted:

Is a 30 million dollar car ever "totaled"?

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

mattdizzleZ28 posted:

Is a 30 million dollar car ever "totaled"?

Insurance companies everywhere felt a great disturbance in The Force

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
In the past few days I've started playing a bunch of Forza 4 again, and it made me wonder: do we know much yet about Forza Horizon? Are dedicated Forza 4 fans planning to pick it up?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Kenshin posted:

In the past few days I've started playing a bunch of Forza 4 again, and it made me wonder: do we know much yet about Forza Horizon? Are dedicated Forza 4 fans planning to pick it up?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3488727

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

It crashed on the WAY to the Le mans event, not during it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kenshin posted:

I pre-ordered it the day the release date announcement was made (at E3). I think the game is going to be awesome, but i'm pretty annoyed at the pre-order incentives. I take my imaginary cars pretty seriously! :v:

• Locked thread