Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Can we please not use the term "encrypted bootloader"? The SGS3's bootloader isn't encrypted, and even if it were it's not relevant to it being locked, or specifically, that it will only boot signed "boot" kernels.

"Encrypted bootloader" might be an accurate (but still misleading) term in the Motorola/OMAP world. But otherwise it's an xdaism that suggests a lack of technical understanding of the actual problem, which adds to the general pain and difficulty of discourse on xda.

But it's encrypted for the hackers to infiltrate the Gibson while they download the boot Read Only Memory. Also, Neo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I bet the garbage file contains the decryption keys.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Again, just in case it wasn't clear, the current bootloader already can run custom kernels and custom ROMs.

The present workaround method works perfectly fine. The only issue is that it's a bit inconvenient as every reboot requires going into recovery and applying "an update" but it's hardly a big deal, and something that can be automated in the long run if the bootloader situation isn't resolved otherwise. Incidentally that's exactly how I've been running CM9 on my Epic since January.

In other news, CM9 nightlies are available for the Sprint SGS3 model. I highly suspect that this would "just work" on the Verizon model if someone can get off the "let's brick ourselves 'hacking' the bootloader" and "gently caress you Samsung for releasing a dev unit and taking more of our money" threads to compile the drat thing.

You've been going into recovery and applying an update zip every time your phone restarts? With how much android phones reboot, I'm glad my GNex doesn't do that.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Cojawfee posted:

With how much android phones reboot, I'm glad my GNex doesn't do that.

Is this a thing? I'll go weeks on my GNex without shutting down or a reboot. Did the same with my N1.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Well, mine doesn't have any problems anymore. But it seems there's always a period where some android phone is rebooting all the time. Before 4.0.4 came out, my phone would reboot several times a week.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My Razr has an uptime of over 5 1/2 days right now and the only reason why it's that short is because I was swapping the SIM between my Galaxy Nexus and it.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Thermopyle posted:

Is this a thing? I'll go weeks on my GNex without shutting down or a reboot. Did the same with my N1.
My Nexus doesn't, either. The only time it ever gets turned off/on is when I go to the movies.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Random reboots aren't really random, they're due to kernel bugs and shouldn't ever happen in production builds.

Let's be honest, the CDMA/LTE Galaxy Nexus was a lovely phone when released.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

My Nexus doesn't, either. The only time it ever gets turned off/on is when I go to the movies.

Isn't this what vibrate/silent mode is for? :confused: Alternatively airplane mode?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

SeaborneClink posted:

Isn't this what vibrate/silent mode is for? :confused: Alternatively airplane mode?
I don't want it vibrating in my pocket. Also I've got an irrational fear of somehow hitting the buttons and turning up the volume when it's in my pocket and then getting a call or whatever. It's not like turning it off and back on is a big deal.

themachine
Jun 6, 2003

Welcome to the machine
Does anyone know if there are any plans for ICS to come out for the Bionic? I'm still using mine, and it's working good, but I was kinda hoping since it's out for the RAZR it might come out for the Bionic too.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

themachine posted:

Does anyone know if there are any plans for ICS to come out for the Bionic? I'm still using mine, and it's working good, but I was kinda hoping since it's out for the RAZR it might come out for the Bionic too.

I would guess another month or so. There are leaked builds out there. Apparently, ICS will bring SmartActions to the Bionic as well.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

bull3964 posted:

I would guess another month or so. There are leaked builds out there. Apparently, ICS will bring SmartActions to the Bionic as well.

SmartActions sort of already are available on the Bionic; someone posted the app package on Droid Life a couple months ago and it works just fine on mine.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, there's a difference between loading up a ripped APK and becoming an official part of the device from motorola.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

themachine posted:

Development is coming surprisingly fast for the Bionic. In the past 2-3 weeks there have been 4 leaked builds of ICS for the Bionic. Each getting better and better. I'm running one of the builds right now and really is like a whole new phone.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

ProjektorBoy posted:

Development is coming surprisingly fast for the Bionic. In the past 2-3 weeks there have been 4 leaked builds of ICS for the Bionic. Each getting better and better. I'm running one of the builds right now and really is like a whole new phone.

Yet nothing for the Droid 3. :smith:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Athenry posted:

Pretty sure they said the Droid 3 isn't getting ICS (only 512mb of ram).

Fluue
Jan 2, 2008

Athenry posted:

You and me both, Droid 3 buddy...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mr. Despair posted:

Yup, Motorola more or less said only 1gb devices were getting ICS.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Droid 3 really got hosed, was only 4 or 5 months old when ics was announced.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

ProjektorBoy posted:

Sheeeiiittt! Make a drat good phone better? Sure, I'll take it! I love my Bionic; it's like the fullback of smartphones. It had some decent fanfare upon release, but had larger, more tempting phones due for release right on its heels, so the public love affair was brief. Meanwhile, I've taken this thing through thick & thin (without a case) and it just keeps chugging along. I know there have been plenty of users with substantial radio issues, but I guess I've been lucky in that respect. When it comes time to move on, it'll be the first smartphone I'll actually be nostalgic about.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Mr. Despair posted:

Yet phones with 512mb of ram are being released with ICS right now.

That really soured me on Motorola/Android. As an X2/Droid 3 owner, to not even support a phone that was released like 3 months before the ICS announcement is kinda lame. Especially because there is no technical reason ICS wouldn't run well (it runs fine on phones with lesser specs).

Oh well. That's android for ya! :suicide:

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Don Lapre posted:

Droid 3 really got hosed, was only 4 or 5 months old when ics was announced.

yup, and other phones with 512mb have gotten ICS too. Teach me not to buy a nexus.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
its okay Verizon / Moto still has plenty of time to screw us on a jelly bean update :/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The Droid 3 and X2 should never have been launched with 512 mb of ram to begin with. I suspect that was Verizon pressure wanting to hit a certain price point. Both the Atrix and Photon are older devices (but 1gb) and they are both getting ICS.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Athenry posted:

yup, and other phones with 512mb have gotten ICS too. Teach me not to buy a nexus.

The problem I have with the Nexus phones is that after using a Motorola phone, the Gnex/Nexus S seriously feels like crap to me. Motorola makes incredibly solid phones, even the X2 and Droid 3 being "Mid-tier" phones when they were released are very solid and a pleasure to hold.

I held a co-workers Nexus S and it felt like a loving toy :( I think I'm in the same boat some other people are in; waiting for Moto/Google to build a Nexus device together.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Sheeeiiittt! Make a drat good phone better? Sure, I'll take it!

From what I've been reading, there have been several hardware revisions of the device floating around out there too with small variations. The first sign of this was found in one of the threads that exposed a GSM-enable hack for the Bionic.

It also looks like Motorola is "apologizing" to Bionic owners in the ICS release, as Bionics with very specific hardware revisions are reportedly getting a speed bump to 1.2Ghz.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

So I managed to crack the screen on my Galaxy Nexus. I was at the beach and had it in my bag, wrapped in a shirt, but I guess some sand must have gotten in there at some point? I thought it was a scratch at first, but it's gotten bigger over the last two days and now the goes across the entire screen.

I have insurance, but that's a $100 deductible and you don't even get a brand new phone. I've never met someone who needed just one refurb from Verizon once they went down that path. I think my sister and I collectively went through five or six Droid Xs once we started the refurb dance. Apparently Samsung will do repairs but they charge $160+ and there's a two week turn around. What's my least lovely option?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Drifter287 posted:

So I managed to crack the screen on my Galaxy Nexus. I was at the beach and had it in my bag, wrapped in a shirt, but I guess some sand must have gotten in there at some point? I thought it was a scratch at first, but it's gotten bigger over the last two days and now the goes across the entire screen.

I have insurance, but that's a $100 deductible and you don't even get a brand new phone. I've never met someone who needed just one refurb from Verizon once they went down that path. I think my sister and I collectively went through five or six Droid Xs once we started the refurb dance. Apparently Samsung will do repairs but they charge $160+ and there's a two week turn around. What's my least lovely option?
Sand won't crack your display.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I realize that. I've heard that it can scratch it deep enough that it makes it a whole lot easier for the screen to crack from something else though. Like I said, the phone was wrapped in a shirt and sitting in a bag with some clothes and my wallet. I put it in the bag, laid down for a while, and when I pulled it out of the bag again, it was scratched.

Clearly it was my fault for a) not having a screen protector on and b) not leaving it in the car or taking other precautions. Maybe my girlfriend dropped her phone in the bag at some point when I wasn't looking and it smacked my phone's screen? I doubt it but that's the only other thing I can think of.

Either way, I'd just like to know if anyone has been in a similar situation (or handled one, for the verizon employees in this thread) and what they did.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Sheeeiiittt! Make a drat good phone better? Sure, I'll take it! I love my Bionic; it's like the fullback of smartphones. It had some decent fanfare upon release, but had larger, more tempting phones due for release right on its heels, so the public love affair was brief. Meanwhile, I've taken this thing through thick & thin (without a case) and it just keeps chugging along. I know there have been plenty of users with substantial radio issues, but I guess I've been lucky in that respect. When it comes time to move on, it'll be the first smartphone I'll actually be nostalgic about.

Honestly, I still really like the Bionic and kind of wish I still had it instead of my Razr right now as a backup phone (mostly because I have a 2700 mAh extended battery for it still.)

Yeah, the display is a bit crap, but the phone itself is built to last and be easily repairable. It's one of the few phones you can buy now where the glass/digitizer isn't bonded to the display. You can pick up new $35 front panels for the thing to fix cracked displays. It also uses virtually no glue and no ribbon cables in the construction which makes it easy to disassemble.

Between the front panel and large removable back, you could refurbish a beat to death Bionic into looking virtually brand new for about $40 and a half hour's worth of work.

The guts are virtually the same as the Razr counterparts, so if they start matching the software builds to those phones, it's a REALLY solid used 4g phone on version for $179.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Drifter287 posted:

The refurb will still be under verizon warranty.

Ive had good success with verizons refurbs.

Mileage may very, But Id just pay the 100 bucks and move on. Your current one was eventually going to gently caress up anyways because you know, samsung etc.

My 4th one (yup) seems to be ok on jelly bean, But im daily driving my maxx now, so whatever. But its a "refurb" and its been solid.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
If you ever take your phone onto the beach again, put it in a Ziplock bag before you leave the house. You'll be able to use the touchscreen just fine through the plastic.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bull3964 posted:

My Razr has an uptime of over 5 1/2 days right now and the only reason why it's that short is because I was swapping the SIM between my Galaxy Nexus and it.

ICS seems to have had the opposite effect on my Razr, where I'm seeing substantially worse battery life now (and I performed a factory reset right after installing). Can't even go a full day of moderate usage without having to charge. I haven't really cared enough yet to investigate what's causing the problem but I guess I should get on that.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Looks like there may be a "mid range" razr coming out with better specs than the current Razr.

http://phandroid.com/2012/07/12/image-of-motorola-xt907-for-verizon-surfaces-could-be-mid-range-razr/

If I were to guess, I would say it's going to be a 4" device.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Is there any other voice assistance out there beyond siri or S Voice? Even something to download or buy? Really like my next phone to have the feature for when I am driving.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Is there any other voice assistance out there beyond siri or S Voice? Even something to download or buy? Really like my next phone to have the feature for when I am driving.

Android 4.1 has it baked into Google Now, so if phones start showing up or getting updates (hahahaha) those will work.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Mr.Trifecta posted:

VLingo?

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Have you used it? What's your opinions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

It's pretty good but only does fairly basic stuff. I mostly use it to dial people while or do voice to text while driving. As far as I know, it can't do any in-app stuff like create an event on your calendar or play a particular playlist.

• Locked thread