Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Jay Dub posted:

I can't wait to put that next to the collector's edition Blade Runner briefcase that I keep in a box of junk in my closet.

You take that Blade Runner briefcase out of that closet right this instant! It does not deserve to be in there. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Honestly, I just don't have a good place for it. The little toy spinner and plastic/metal/origami unicorn adorn my bookshelf, though. :shobon:

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Jay Dub posted:

Honestly, I just don't have a good place for it. The little toy spinner and plastic/metal/origami unicorn adorn my bookshelf, though. :shobon:

You ought to sell that poo poo before it comes back into print.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Sporadic posted:

You ought to sell that poo poo before it comes back into print.

Sell the 25th anniversary edition so I can afford the 30th anniversary edition? No thanks, I'm good.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Jay Dub posted:

Sell the 25th anniversary edition so I can afford the 30th anniversary edition? No thanks, I'm good.

It's more like so you can pocket some cash and buy the new one. They are going for around $130+ and the new one is only $58.xx (plus it comes with more useless poo poo you should love)

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Any chance they'll ever release that Marvel box set in a standard size slipcase, like the Harry Potter 8-film collection?

(speaking of HP, aren't we due for a crazy box set this Xmas? In a miniature model of Hogwarts, no doubt...)

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Lionsgate may be sitting on all of Studio Canal's titles but it looks like Hammer is getting a different kind of treatment

First up is The Curse Of Frankenstein

quote:

Hammer, Icon Film Distribution and Lionsgate Films have officially announced that they will release Terence Fisher's Gothic classic The Curse of Frankenstein (1957), fully restored in High Definition and for the first time in its original Academy ratio of 1.37:1. Street date is October 15th.

The 3-disc Double Play Edition will include 1 x Blu-ray and 2 x DVD packed full of brand new content. Featuring new documentaries and bonus extras, and including the infamous "eyeball" scene, which was originally banned but has now been fully restored.

Single 50GB Disc
HD Main Feature – Never before released "Academy" ratio 1.37:1 – 83 mins – DTS MA 2.0
HD The Curse of Frankenstein (1.66:1 version) – alternate aspect ratio – 83mins – DTS MA 2.0
New audio commentary with Marcus Hearn & Jonathan Rigby
Frankenstein Reborn: The Making of a Hammer Classic (new & exclusive)
Life With Sir (new & exclusive Peter Cushing documentary)
Four Sided Triangle (bonus feature film) 80 mins
Tales of Frankenstein (bonus TV pilot) 25 mins
The Tale of Tales of Frankenstein (new & exclusive Ted Newsom documentary)
World Of Hammer: The Curse of Frankenstein 25 mins
Stills show
English HOH subtitles for Main Feature

DVD 1
Main Feature – Never before released "Academy" ratio 1.37:1 – 83 mins – DD 2.0 – English HOH subtitles
The Curse of Frankenstein (1.66:1 version) – alternate aspect ratio – 83mins - DD 2.0
New audio commentary with Marcus Hearn & Jonathan Rigby

DVD 2
Frankenstein Reborn: The Making of a Hammer Classic (new & exclusive)
Life With Sir (new & exclusive Peter Cushing documentary)
Four Sided Triangle (bonus feature film) 80 mins
Tales of Frankenstein (bonus TV pilot) 25 mins
The Tale of Tales of Frankenstein (new & exclusive Ted Newsom documentary)
World Of Hammer: The Curse of Frankenstein 25 mins
Stills show
PDF Original shooting script
PDF all-new booklet "The Creator's Spark: Hammer's Frankenstein Begins" with text by Hammer archivist Robert J. E. Simpson

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
If you were thinking, man, I want Planet Earth...but I wish it came in a giant globe, your prayers have finally been answered.

It dropped down to $44.99 on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B005C9YZKU

I think this release was limited to 50,000

Ein Bear
Mar 26, 2010

Oh Sirrah, how deliciously absurd!

Huh, so 'Marvel's' is part of the actual title of the film?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Ein Bear posted:

Huh, so 'Marvel's' is part of the actual title of the film?

Yeah as it turns out the movie is actually called Marvel's The Avengers and in the UK it was called Marvel's Avengers Assemble.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.

Sporadic posted:

The Curse Of Frankenstein

Wow, that single disc blu-ray is gunna hold at the very least 5 hours of stuff. Won't that compromise things a bit?

And I'm wondering why they included the 1.37:1 aspect ratio. I've never even heard about it being filmed that way.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Jack Does Jihad posted:

And I'm wondering why they included the 1.37:1 aspect ratio. I've never even heard about it being filmed that way.
A new print was found showing that it was quite likely originally meant to be in the Academy ratio and it was recently restored by Hammer. However, since there is no "silver bullet" as to what the director's intentions were and fans are complaining because they are used to the 1.66:1 version, they decided to include both versions. (Seriously, their fanbase are being the typical insufferable windbags screaming that the film was meant to be in 1.66:1 based on no evidence whatsoever and without having seen the new version).

Also, my guess is that all the content outside of the main features will be SD so it won't be that bad.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 16, 2012

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

piratepilates posted:

Yeah as it turns out the movie is actually called Marvel's The Avengers and in the UK it was called Marvel's Avengers Assemble.

I didn't know that, only knew it as Assemble.

I'm still angry over 'Die Hard 4.0'

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.

kuddles posted:

A new print was found showing that it was quite likely originally meant to be in the Academy ratio and it was recently restored by Hammer. However, since there is no "silver bullet" as to what the director's intentions were and fans are complaining because they are used to the 1.66:1 version, they decided to include both versions. (Seriously, their fanbase are being the typical insufferable windbags screaming that the film was meant to be in 1.66:1 based on no evidence whatsoever and without having seen the new version).

Also, my guess is that all the content outside of the main features will be SD so it won't be that bad.

I'd rather they complain and we get both versions instead of Hammer deciding that the 1.37:1 version is the "right" one and only putting that one out.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Jack Does Jihad posted:

Wow, that single disc blu-ray is gunna hold at the very least 5 hours of stuff. Won't that compromise things a bit?

I don't think so. SD footage doesn't take up that much space and the movie is only 8x minutes long.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is one version a direct cut out of the other with no panning? I thought Blu-Ray spec might allow masking of video so you can just use one source and alter the A/R on the fly that way.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Jack Does Jihad posted:

I'd rather they complain and we get both versions instead of Hammer deciding that the 1.37:1 version is the "right" one and only putting that one out.
I agree, I was just referring to this new weird phenomenon where a vocal minority come out and aggressively demand that all Bluray releases be widescreen no matter what.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...
Masters of Cinema have announced their Q4 titles and they're rather enticing.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Jay Dub posted:

I can't wait to put that next to the collector's edition Blade Runner briefcase that I keep in a box of junk in my closet.

Oh look another Blade Runner Bluray set

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00845MRKE/ref=cm_sw_r_fa_dp_m4ibqb1NY2BH8

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Professor Clumsy posted:

Masters of Cinema have announced their Q4 titles and they're rather enticing.

Trouble in Paradise is loving aces. I hope this means we'll get the blu-ray soon on this side of the pond.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

So is there anything new besides a box of trinkets?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Looks to be the same content, although... I guess it contains both DVD and BD?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I had heard they were holding on to an HD upgrade of the Dangerous Days documentary for a future re-release of Blade Runner.

This might be that release?

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

kuddles posted:

I agree, I was just referring to this new weird phenomenon where a vocal minority come out and aggressively demand that all Bluray releases be widescreen no matter what.

They don't care about intended aspect ratios. Back when everyone had 4:3 televisions, they just didn't want big black bars at the top and bottom of the screen. Now everyone's got 16:9 sets and they don't want them on the sides.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
True Grit, Platoon and Tropic Thunder all dropped down to $7.99 on Amazon.

True Grit = http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B003UESJMO
Platoon = http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B004TJ1H2S
Tropic Thunder = http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B001H5X7KC

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

jetgrindeggy posted:

They don't care about intended aspect ratios. Back when everyone had 4:3 televisions, they just didn't want big black bars at the top and bottom of the screen. Now everyone's got 16:9 sets and they don't want them on the sides.
One day, we'll have TVs that will morph their shape to fit those intended aspect ratios.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

The pHo posted:

Is one version a direct cut out of the other with no panning? I thought Blu-Ray spec might allow masking of video so you can just use one source and alter the A/R on the fly that way.

Even the DVD spec actually has a feature like this. A 16:9 stream can include pan and scan flags which tell the DVD player exactly where to crop for 4:3.

It was more popular outside the US where seperate fullscreen versions weren't common, sacrifices resolution, and can't handle wider films, but this is why your DVD player settings menu always has two 4:3 options, P&S and LB.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Interesting, I never knew the P&S option followed any flags, and presumed it was just a central 4x3 cutout. I wonder if I have any discs that support this.

There were quite a few 'FULLSCREEN EDITION' headed discs over here in the UK, but not as many as you guys suffered. Then there were the DVD10/18s with FS on one side and WS on the other.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

jetgrindeggy posted:

I actually wish my BR player didn't automatically upscale things because I love watching The Wire in 4:3.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
People who don't care about correct aspect ratios are the worst kind of people.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Lizard Combatant posted:

I wish I didn't agree with this, but I do. I've told everyone in my family off about it so many times. Why are the black bars more distracting to you than the stretched people?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Lizard Combatant posted:

Incorrect. People who want everything to be fullscreen and say "those black bars are cutting off the picture" still this day and age are the worst, sorry.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

GonSmithe posted:

Incorrect. People who want everything to be fullscreen and say "those black bars are cutting off the picture" still this day and age are the worst, sorry.

Those are the same people who bang on about being able to see Carl Weathers' arm in Predator. Oh really? Let's pop in the DVD and see, shall we?

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

The pHo posted:

There were quite a few 'FULLSCREEN EDITION' headed discs over here in the UK, but not as many as you guys suffered. Then there were the DVD10/18s with FS on one side and WS on the other.
Oh no, they were pretty common in North America too, especially during the first few years. Worst is people cared so little about that stuff that where listings for online retailers or ebay shops wouldn't mention it, and when I would ask which version it was, they would usually reply that they couldn't tell me. There was even the occasional scandal where - since most people still bought fullscreen at the time - studios saved money by releasing a bunch of DVDs in the "Widescreen Edition" by merely adding black lines to the transfer they did for the Fullscreen one.

I used to manage a Blockbuster when they first appeared and the hatred of DVD's "cutting off the top and bottom of the picture" was brought up constantly.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

Sheldrake posted:

Trouble in Paradise is loving aces. I hope this means we'll get the blu-ray soon on this side of the pond.

Look again. Trouble in Paradise is DVD only.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

GonSmithe posted:

My friend, these are the very people I speak of. My enemy is your enemy.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Lizard Combatant posted:

My friend, these are the very people I speak of. My enemy is your enemy.

Yeah, sorry, I don't usually think of those people as "people who complain about the correct aspect ratio," I think of them as "people who have no idea what they are talking about."

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I'm Vittorio Storaro and I don't approve of this aspect ratio.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dickeye posted:

I actually wish my BR player didn't automatically upscale things because I love watching The Wire in 4:3.

There's probably a setting in the menus to keep it from doing that.

I get irrationally annoyed when sports bar don't have there tvs properly set up. It will be a widescreen tv and have black bars on the top and bottom, meaning it's likely down-scaled for a 4x3 tv and then they stretched the sides out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

GonSmithe posted:

Yeah, sorry, I don't usually think of those people as "people who complain about the correct aspect ratio," I think of them as "people who have no idea what they are talking about."

Brother I fear you continue to misunderstand me. I say those who don't care about the correct aspect ratio are forsaken. The Fullscreeners are the damned, be they Croppers, Zoomers or the dreaded Stretchers.

• Locked thread