Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

CaseFace McGee posted:

Dr. Faustus, I better see that Peavey logo in my inbox when I log on to Forza to build my car. Your livery for this week looks great, by the way.
I gifted you the logo the instant I was sure I was done with it. Lemme know you got it! I'm starting on Seymour Duncan, next.

I hope this is a good way to start a new page!

Ok, everybody. This may not be too much of a treat but I'll share it anyway. At the cargo facility of an airport where someone I know works, There has been a Ferrari belted down to a platform used to secure Widebody Cargo (as in, say, the Airbus 330s operated by Lufthansa, just for example.)

It's been there for a couple weeks, so we arranged to get some pics taken. This is, if I am correct, a racing-modified version of the 360 Modena. Confirm/Deny?

Enjoy the pics:

We don't know anything about why it's here, where it's been, or where it's going (beyond some basic assumptions based on the carrier) but it's fun to walk around it every day and just. Gaze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
It is a race modified. The rollcage, seats, wheel, Emergency cutoff switches on the hood and such give it away. Very nice!

e: There's a good chance it's a Challenge Stradale. Those wheels are standard on the CS model. It's missing the tricolour stripe though.

Falken fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 12, 2012

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Since it's GTCC show and tell time, I'll show you my ride for the evening. I have been approached with an offer and signed with Irwin Tools for at least the duration of this series. Also, I am continuing my support of the Cubivore Anti-911 Foundation - truely a cause worthy of all my Forza 4 space bux.

Without further adue, I present you with the #74 Irwin Tools/SS740 Racing Mitsubishi Starion.

Though, this wasn't my first choice of platform. I was originally testing this Volvo 242:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

YF19pilot posted:

Since it's GTCC show and tell time, I'll show you my ride for the evening. I have been approached with an offer and signed with Irwin Tools for at least the duration of this series. Also, I am continuing my support of the Cubivore Anti-911 Foundation - truely a cause worthy of all my Forza 4 space bux.

Without further adue, I present you with the #74 Irwin Tools/SS740 Racing Mitsubishi Starion.

Though, this wasn't my first choice of platform. I was originally testing this Volvo 242:

drat you, Swedespeed! I've been courting Irwin for MONTHS now and they wouldn't return my calls! Now I know why. O well.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Falken posted:

It is a race modified. The rollcage, seats, wheel, Emergency cutoff switches on the hood and such give it away. Very nice!

e: There's a good chance it's a Challenge Stradale. Those wheels are standard on the CS model. It's missing the tricolour stripe though.

CS Wheels, but definitely not CS wing mirrors. Still cool!

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Dr. Faustus posted:

drat you, Swedespeed! I've been courting Irwin for MONTHS now and they wouldn't return my calls! Now I know why. O well.

Sounds like my relationship with Miller Lite. The one time I get ahold of them and they give me a 'maybe' based on how some Brad Kowalski or some such does.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Here's what I brought out for AUGR tonight. Last place or near it, as usual, and as you would expect with this car.

If some masochistic goon wants to go into a private race with me and give me some pointers on what I'm doing wrong (aside from driving a prius) I would be eternally grateful.

Spades
Sep 18, 2011

GutBomb posted:

If some masochistic goon wants to go into a private race with me and give me some pointers on what I'm doing wrong (aside from driving a prius) I would be eternally grateful.

If you send me a friend request (My Gamertag is Mr Spades Slick) I could see what I could do. It would also be useful if you could send me the tune that you used so I can possible see what shortcomings that the car itself may have.

So I might look into it myself at work tonight, what class is the vehicle, and do any restrictions apply?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Spades posted:

If you send me a friend request (My Gamertag is Mr Spades Slick) I could see what I could do. It would also be useful if you could send me the tune that you used so I can possible see what shortcomings that the car itself may have.

So I might look into it myself at work tonight, what class is the vehicle, and do any restrictions apply?

Thanks, I'll add you tonight and send it over. It's not just the car though, doesn't matter what I'm driving, I'm just not doing it right, consistently slower than everyone else and I'm not sure if it's track knowledge, technique, the car, or a combination of all of them.

I used the slave_munky excel based tuning calculator and the priority upgrade table therein to determine which parts to upgrade it to d350 based on a power to weight ratio. Then I tweaked the anti-roll bars to try to reduce the massive understeer.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 12, 2012

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Gutbomb, accept my friend request and I'll check out some of your Rivals replays and leaderboard laps, etc.

The internet was not friendly at all last night. I had my Jaaaaag E-type all ready to go for GTCC but alas, it was not to be.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
In honor of our very own IOwnCalculus getting a blue star (and being a former Volvo 240 owner)

Link to massive

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"

Ether Frenzy posted:

In honor of our very own IOwnCalculus getting a blue star (and being a former Volvo 240 owner)

Link to massive

I like the "brake failure" light.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

I like the gear stick with the "5" button right in the neutral zone.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

LiquidRain posted:

It's the overdrive.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

LiquidRain posted:

That's because for a while, Volvo decided cars didn't need 5 actual gears. So they put in a 4 gear transmission and tossed in an electronic overdrive.. which that '5' button activates.

edit - my favorite fail with Volvo interiors is the radio placement. Several buttons are hard to get to with the shifter in the way. Especially in the era where decks were installed on rails, so they could be removed as an anti-theft measure. Hideously difficult to remove the radio with a giant shift knob in the way.

xzzy fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 12, 2012

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

GutBomb posted:

Thanks, I'll add you tonight and send it over. It's not just the car though, doesn't matter what I'm driving, I'm just not doing it right, consistently slower than everyone else and I'm not sure if it's track knowledge, technique, the car, or a combination of all of them.

I used the slave_munky excel based tuning calculator and the priority upgrade table therein to determine which parts to upgrade it to d350 based on a power to weight ratio. Then I tweaked the anti-roll bars to try to reduce the massive understeer.
When using the Priority Upgrade Table, it does not display any handling, driveline or other non-performance upgrades such as tire compound, suspension, brakes, differential, transmission, weight reduction, etc. Are you leaving all those parts stock? How familiar are you with racing games in general?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
A friend made a Gulf GT-40 livery for my beloved GT Mk7.

:allears:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

When using the Priority Upgrade Table, it does not display any handling, driveline or other non-performance upgrades such as tire compound, suspension, brakes, differential, transmission, weight reduction, etc. Are you leaving all those parts stock? How familiar are you with racing games in general?

i always install the fully adjustable suspension, brakes, diff, transmission stuff before i go through any of the tuning. I tried a few tire compounds but went with sport tires because race tires took me to high in PI to get the performance out of the car I wanted.

I've been playing forza 4 since november and have since picked up forza 3 for endurance races and cool tracks. Played a bit of GT5 during that time too but didn't like it. Same with iRacing. Before november I had never played any serious racing games. Until january I played with a wireless speed wheel (that u shaped thing) for the xbox but then I got a fanatec setup. That's what I've been using ever since.

I play with no assists other than rewind (unless you consider normal steering an assist).

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 12, 2012

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Ether Frenzy posted:

Link to massive

I wish I could make the interior that late-70s/early-80s brown that my 242 is.

xzzy posted:

That's because for a while, Volvo decided cars didn't need 5 actual gears. So they put in a 4 gear transmission and tossed in an electronic overdrive.. which that '5' button activates.

edit - my favorite fail with Volvo interiors is the radio placement. Several buttons are hard to get to with the shifter in the way. Especially in the era where decks were installed on rails, so they could be removed as an anti-theft measure. Hideously difficult to remove the radio with a giant shift knob in the way.

My favorite Volvo interior fail is in the later 740's center console slide out cup holders. Nevermind that they're barely big enough for a can of soda, they feel like cheap, flimsy plastic and cannot actually be used while driving, else you'll hit the cup holder every time you shift.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

YF19pilot posted:

I wish I could make the interior that late-70s/early-80s brown that my 242 is.

My favorite Volvo interior fail is in the later 740's center console slide out cup holders. Nevermind that they're barely big enough for a can of soda, they feel like cheap, flimsy plastic and cannot actually be used while driving, else you'll hit the cup holder every time you shift.

My 93 S-10 didn't have proper cup holders except for the glovebox, which had 1-inch indents on the door. I assumed it was for when you're stopped but seriously, not even one decent cup holder?

It was a very bare-minimum truck, 5-speed manual with a tape deck and manual windows and mirrors (you moved it with your hands through the window). I miss that thing. Glad to see its in Forza 4 as one of the cars I've owned, but sadly, no '74 Plymouth Road Runner :(

PhancyPants
Nov 15, 2003

Hotdog Suit Up!

Ringo Star Get posted:

My 93 S-10 didn't have proper cup holders except for the glovebox, which had 1-inch indents on the door. I assumed it was for when you're stopped but seriously, not even one decent cup holder?

I had the 91. I miss the poo poo out of that truck. If it wasn't 100% required to make the truck run, it wasn't in the cab. It also had the 45 degree back seats with just lap-belts, which must be the perfect design to snap someone's back in an accident.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Ringo Star Get posted:

manual windows and mirrors (you moved it with your hands through the window)

My (2011) Yaris has this, and of all the laughably cheap things about the car, it's probably my favorite. They couldn't even be bothered to give you the little adjustable stalk thing, so you have to roll the bitch down, and if anyone else drives my car they just have to deal with the mirrors because I can't be hosed to re-align that poo poo.

EDIT: It does have an aux input for the stereo though, that's a nice touch. I can plug my phone in and listen to spotify without adaptors or anything like that.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I can't remember what a 740 layout is like exactly, but luckily 240's have built in cup holders. You just wedge your can of soda between the handbrake and the seat!

Manual mirrors? Hah! My '83 240 which was bought brand new in December of '82 didn't even have a passenger side wing mirror - it was optioned without it - as the story went according to me once I'd inherited it at age 16, it was to save weight because it was the "Group A Race Package." However, according to my father, who actually ordered and bought the car, it was because he was spectacularly cheap.

I too owned a S-10 at one point, an '88, and also recall the lack of any sort of spot for a beverage. I figured they just assumed you'd mount your can of Old Milwaukee between your legs like a REAL american. Boy did that car suck.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
So we're posting our cars yes?

Well, recently I learnt how to drive fast A+ cars and ended up with only a single F class car left because I upgraded them all :(

Then I re-learnt how to do full manual gears and decided to re-build my entire garage of cars, starting with F-Class.

Lets start with the Alfa Romeo Spider Quadrifsdfjsfsfhj. Pretty car but I can't seem to pick a livery that fits. Considering painting it white for that 80's feel.

Next up is my beetle. Brightest orange I could get and I'm going to download a random sticker to put on it each time I play till it gets more and more covered. So far its blank.

Ah, the Chevrolet Corvair Monza. Incredible car, used to run it in A class but holy poo poo was it deadly.

Ford Coupe Deluxe, again a very pretty car. Was considering rat-rodding it, but in the end settle for something more traditional. Need to get more retro stickers for it though.

Datsun 510, honestly I'm not too keen on the car. I love old cars don't get me wrong, but for some reason I just don't "get" it. Can't decide if I should make it a taxi or not.

Caddy Eldorado, painted in the cuban flag. Eventually I'm hoping to have a Cuban Pete livery, but since I've gotta make my own vinyls it'll take some time.

Ford Pinto, fun car! One of the few muscle type cars that fit in F. One of my favorite cars in F.

AMC Gremlin. gently caress yeah look at that colour. Stuck my numbers on to match and tinted the windows. Kickin Rad, man.

Hudson Hornet. Used to have her dolled up in police livery. So I guess this makes her an ex-service model? Nice drive but goddamn huge, floats nicely.

Another firm favorite, Ford King Cobra. Hardly anything needed doing because its awesome as it is.

Lotus Cortina. Racing-ish livery, lots of grime. Quite a fun car, certainly nippy.

MGA twin-cam, another nice piece of British steel. British Racing Green, of course.

AMC Pacer. Boy AMC sure know how to make quirky cars huh? Flames slightly WW inspired, bitchin car.

Smart Car. God the hours wasted tuning just to drive this ugly little bastard around without flailing wildly. I guess its kinda fun on the TINY courses.

Lastly the VW Scirocco. Rat-Racer with bags of character. This car easily has one of my favorite engine/exhaust sounds in the entire game. Driving round is a constant "BWAAAAAAAAAAAAK, BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAK" its fantastic. Currently missing its Karma Coffee sponsership while I reduce the layer count.

And that wraps up my completed F-Class Garage! Theres a few more cars I could force in, but they're high 190's so racing them in F would be practically racing stock. So I decided I'd bump those upto E. Its taken me a week this far and theres only 15 cars. My E-class garage is going to be around 30 cars. Sooo this is kind of a long term project. C-A is going to take an eternity.

I will say this though, dropping the automatic gears has made me appreciate the lower specced cars much more. Its also made me spend alot more time on getting the gear ratios right for each car.

I was also planning on making a blue/black version of Supercharged Death. Only weighted down to fit into F-class, as Naturally Aspirated Death. However since the Pi re-shuffle it only goes down to 202pi :(

EDIT: Almost forgot, I have a Delorean too of course! But no livery or stickers because shes beautiful as she is: http://i.imgur.com/zaurk.jpg

Captain Hair fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jul 13, 2012

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I managed to find an S-class car even more unstable than the Spada.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92Fz2DKFmtc

I...I think I kinda like it :gay:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ether Frenzy posted:

Link to massive

Things I wish my 240 had:

*A tach
*A turbo
*A stick
*An interior not made of sharp jagged broken plastics

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Captain Hair: God Bless You for posting so many car pics. I'd share more, but I think people are tired of my old poo poo.
I am, too.

Thanks very much, I enjoyed the pics.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cannot Find Server posted:

I managed to find an S-class car even more unstable than the Spada.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92Fz2DKFmtc

I...I think I kinda like it :gay:

That is super amazing and I think I need to work on taking that "line", because chicanes are zero fun (I think the only chicane in the entire game I actually enjoy is the one at the end of the back straight on Nurburgring GP).

Though I suppose you gotta be careful you don't broadside other players who are taking the boring orthodox line.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

New paintjob for the #23 Porsche GT3, based on the 2011 Molitor Racing Systems GT3 R:

Threw together this rather garish looking Radical scheme after seeing an LMP car with the same colors at this year's Le Mans:

The Invader Zim pig was requested by my wife.

And finally, a reminder:

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Dr. Faustus posted:

Captain Hair: God Bless You for posting so many car pics. I'd share more, but I think people are tired of my old poo poo.
I am, too.

Thanks very much, I enjoyed the pics.

Share them all! I love seeing other folk's car pics.

Have some pictures from last nights "Dirty Bastids" race with SAEG.
[tIMG]http://i.imgur.com/D6nuu.jpg][/tIMG][tIMG]http://i.imgur.com/0wSKg.jpg][/tIMG]
[tIMG]http://i.imgur.com/NK8HI.jpg][/tIMG][tIMG]http://i.imgur.com/Cdgbi.jpg][/tIMG]
[tIMG]http://i.imgur.com/9W8tj.jpg][/tIMG][tIMG]http://i.imgur.com/GX6aZ.jpg][/tIMG]
[tIMG]http://i.imgur.com/0IDkA.jpg][/tIMG][tIMG]http://i.imgur.com/XzNIv.jpg][/tIMG]

:911:

Bet
Mar 10, 2003

illegitimate bastard child

Captain Hair posted:

Lotus Cortina. Racing-ish livery, lots of grime. Quite a fun car, certainly nippy.

Excellent Goon Swarm livery for an excellent car.

All of those pictures are impressively photorealistic, I thought I was in AI for a moment (too early in the day). Such a great game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pretty awesome photos. The livery editor is what sets Forza 4 apart from all of the other racing games.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

show-'n-tell* time

*as in 'you can tell i have a theme & stick with it'

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You must really like Exxon.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

You must really like Exxon.

They're good guys now, because they aren't responsible for the worst ecological disaster in history anymore.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm a fan of Shell, as far as it evil gas/oil companies go, that sponsor racing.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Hey, did you ever get those videos chopped out of the replay from Wednesday night? I need to see those rolls again...

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs8nNWuseTA
That's how you steal third place by 0.003 seconds :coal:

Anybody recommend a decent DVR that isn't crazy expensive? I really want one but I can't seem to justify it to myself.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jarf posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs8nNWuseTA
That's how you steal third place by 0.003 seconds :coal:

Anybody recommend a decent DVR that isn't crazy expensive? I really want one but I can't seem to justify it to myself.

Been wondering this too. I wonder how much the good high-def ones have gone down in price. Last time I checked (about a year ago) the HD ones were very pricey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What's crazy expensive to you?

The Hauppauge HD-PVR is decent if you can live with component cables. They run under $200. Biggest downside is they have no internal storage so you have to hook it up to a PC via usb to record anything.

But the results are nice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdJyxUiEU9U

Anything with HDMI is going to be much more expensive.

• Locked thread