Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I wear contacts 99% of the time I ride and I've never had a problem. Vastly prefer contacts to glasses when doing anything "active". Not sure what the problem would be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Vacuum from cracking the visor open causing problems with the lenses moving and/or coming out, if I recall correctly.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

You'd have to have some really ill-fitting contacts for that to happen I would think. I open/close/crack my visor all the time and never feel any vacuum pressure on my eyeballs, or really any at all...

Maybe if you ride around like this, perhaps:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Well, I'm still at the "wear them for a couple hours a day" complete newbie stage, so I feel like that the entire time I'm wearing them. It'll pass, apparently?

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

I'm definitely looking into contacts again, I was just looking for an interim solution. Hopefully my helmet's visor locks in place.

Dzus
Jun 18, 2007

I have had people walk out on me before, but not... when I was being so charming.

Splizwarf posted:

Vacuum from cracking the visor open causing problems with the lenses moving and/or coming out, if I recall correctly.

All I've heard of in the way of problems with contacts is dry eyes. I wear glasses because I don't have the device pictured above to place/remove contacts.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Yeah, I have deep-set eyes and it still takes half an hour to put one in. :(

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Goons with glasses:

How the hell do you deal with wearing a full faced helmet with the visor down? My glasses fog up almost immediately...

I only ride with glasses. My visor always starts before my specs.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Contact wearer here, I cant ride with glasses anymore, too obnoxious with the fogging and whatnot.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Dzus posted:

I believe its illegal in PA to have headphones for anything other than communication.
poo poo, I hadn't even considered this. Thank you.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Dzus posted:

I believe its illegal in PA to have headphones for anything other than communication.

Get a pair of headphones with a mic. Problem solved.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Another contact-lense rider here, I've had no problems ever with them in. Glasses are a pain in the arse because they get jostled around and fog up etc.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Splizwarf posted:

Well, I'm still at the "wear them for a couple hours a day" complete newbie stage, so I feel like that the entire time I'm wearing them. It'll pass, apparently?

Yeah, if you stick to it, eventually you put them in and can't feel them after a minute or two. Definitely no problems with drying out or anything while riding with a helmet. I vastly prefer them to my glasses. My HJC CL16 seems well ventilated, though. As soon as I get moving, the glasses don't fog at all.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I'm having a little issue with my 1984 CB650. Over the winter, I did a fair bit of work to it. The carbs were actually pretty clean already, but I went through them anyway, replaced gaskets, made sure everything was clear, etc. Since I got it back on the road this year it's been running wonderfully, only lately it's doing something a little different, just curious if anyone would have an idea as to what's causing it. Hell, maybe it's even normal. I don't know jack poo poo about bikes.

The issue is starting when the bike is cold. With the choke off to on about halfway, the bike will actually start in pretty much one crank, but the idle will be so low it just stalls right out.

Now, if I put the choke all the way on, it will start and stay running, but it needs to crank for about 6 seconds, sputtering like it's about to start the whole while. I let it warm for about a minute when the revs start to climb, and after that it's all set. It starts right up on one crank with no choke when it's still warm.

Again, this could be normal behavior for all I know, and isn't really a HUGE deal, it's never not started for me. Just curious, I guess.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
Have you tried to find a happy medium that cranks and fires fast but doesn't stall? I'd start at half choke and go from there.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Fifty Three posted:

Is it advisable to wear headphones while riding? How the hell do you guys route the wire? I put the Zune (that's right) in my inner jacket pocket and run the wire up through the neck hole, but my buds fall out almost immediately after I leave the driveway. :(

I put some holes thru earplugs that I cut a bit shorter and have been using those. As long as there's a hole all the way thru the sound comes out well.

As for them falling out, the foam helps that for one, but I tuck mine thru my helmet strap. After I feed the strap thru both buckles I put the cable in between both buckles, then finish threading the strap thru. When you pull on the cable it tends to just pull on the neck strap.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

Dzus posted:

All I've heard of in the way of problems with contacts is dry eyes. I wear glasses because I don't have the device pictured above to place/remove contacts.

I had dry eyes for many years with my old contacts. Then I changed my eyeglass/contact lens doctor and they had me try a different type of contact lens (Acuvue Oasys). Now I have zero problems with dry eyes. Before, I'd get dried out eyes every few minutes while riding, but now I'm completely fine.

Anyway, after getting the new brand, I've never had any problems with wearing contacts while riding.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Contacts, with a dropper of contact safe eye drops in my jacket pocket for if my eyes start feeling too dry. Never fails.

zapateria
Feb 16, 2003
Been wearing contacts for 15 years and never had any problems with them. Started with the monthly ones that you had to clean and store in containers every night, then dailies, which are awesome, just throw them in trash when going to bed. I also tried the two-week always-in ones, but they felt dry. I've lost my contacts a handful of times in these 15 years, either from allergies that puff up my eyes and make then very itchy so when I rub my eyes hard they come out, or when swimming and forgetting to close my eyes.

If you have any problem with dryness or uncomfortableness, switch to another type/brand. Dailies are barely noticable since they are superthin, and if you lose one it's no big deal.

I used glasses when I was 16 and rode my moped. It was always a struggle to take the helmet on and off and getting the glasses back in without bending them.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
I use two-week contacts that I take out every night and put in that hydrogen peroxide / saline solution. I've been wearing them for like two years now.

If I ride with my visor up too far, they get really dry and lovely, but with the visor open a little, or cracked, or even closed all the way, it's no problem.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Zubumafoo posted:

I'm having a little issue with my 1984 CB650. Over the winter, I did a fair bit of work to it. The carbs were actually pretty clean already, but I went through them anyway, replaced gaskets, made sure everything was clear, etc. Since I got it back on the road this year it's been running wonderfully, only lately it's doing something a little different, just curious if anyone would have an idea as to what's causing it. Hell, maybe it's even normal. I don't know jack poo poo about bikes.

The issue is starting when the bike is cold. With the choke off to on about halfway, the bike will actually start in pretty much one crank, but the idle will be so low it just stalls right out.

Now, if I put the choke all the way on, it will start and stay running, but it needs to crank for about 6 seconds, sputtering like it's about to start the whole while. I let it warm for about a minute when the revs start to climb, and after that it's all set. It starts right up on one crank with no choke when it's still warm.

Again, this could be normal behavior for all I know, and isn't really a HUGE deal, it's never not started for me. Just curious, I guess.

I just chalk it up to an old bike. I have had similar issues with a couple bikes, one of which the choke was pretty much unusable after being re-jetted for k&n and open exhaust. I just put an idle adjustment relocation screw on there so I can crank up the idle while it warms up then turn it back down when I'm ready to ride.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

ATGlassesATT. I wore contacts for a week and decided I couldn't stand them. The only times I've had fogging problems are in the rain and in the winter, and that's with a poor ventilation Bell helmet I used to own.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Best option for music: Bluetooth headset + normal earplugs
Best option for glasses: Laser surgery

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Seconded. LASIK is where it's at. I've never regretted it for a second. Sure, Sally can wait (she knows its too late), but I say just do it. My eyes have no problem with fogging.

Cyanophyta
Apr 24, 2008

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Goons with glasses:

How the hell do you deal with wearing a full faced helmet with the visor down? My glasses fog up almost immediately...

Don't have glasses but do have a helmet thats visor isn't suitable for pinlock inserts and likes to fog up instantly...

Fogtech wipes for visor
Fogtech wipes for Glasses

Thank me later

Cyanophyta fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jul 13, 2012

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Best option for music: Bluetooth headset + normal earplugs

This is what I do now and omg motorcycling became much more awesome. To anyone who doesn't ride with earplugs, just try it. I find riding with earplugs to be a serene experience. I can hear the road, my bike, and my SMH-10 bluetooth headset just fine.

I got LASIK after my contacts dried out so bad on a ride that they fell the gently caress out! Thankfully I had an extra pair of glasses stashed on my bike. LASIK is just amazing.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I will never understand people who dont ride with ear protection of some sort. Wind noise is louder than most people think, and can kill your hearing quickly. Ear plugs take that out and leave the other noises you actually want to hear

timn
Mar 16, 2010
I started riding with ear plugs from day one and actually feel uncomfortable on the bike without them. The harsher wind and engine noises mess with my concentration a bit and make me feel like I'm not focused on my riding.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I can't wait to get home tomorrow and try riding with earpro. I... I think I'm hooked. Taking a vehicle to get inspected was enjoyable for the first time ever. I anticipate finding more things that have been made enjoyable by two wheels.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
If you don't go and get proper, moulded silcone earplugs made up as well you're a chump. So much better than trying to roll up and properly fit foamies.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008

Fifty Three posted:

I can't wait to get home tomorrow and try riding with earpro. I... I think I'm hooked. Taking a vehicle to get inspected was enjoyable for the first time ever. I anticipate finding more things that have been made enjoyable by two wheels.

I got my first bike a few weeks ago, and I found: highway on-ramps.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.
Alright so I'm figuring out what's wrong with the clutch/performance on my bike (the '81 CX500c). I snapped a few pics to see if any of you guys can spot something wrong.

Clutch cable connector.

Clutch cable connect point. Is that space supposed to be there?

Bonus! So inspecting where the clutch meets the block I found this gunk. Is this bad? You can see it in one of the pics above too.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I don't ride with ear protection around town but always do for highway trips. I didn't used to years ago and I think I probably lost some of my hearing because of it. :(

cixelsyd
May 22, 2010
In a total moment of herp derp, I accidentally put regular gas in my bike instead of premium. After the rest of the leftover gas had been used the bike started idling funny and sometimes would just shut off when sitting at a light with the clutch pulled. I never had any problems with it before; should I be worried about it?

I thought I read somewhere that the lower octane fuel may throw the fuel system timing off and was wondering if that's what's causing it the bike to idle weird. This is an 05 - r6.

Thanks in advance!

e: spelling is difficult

cixelsyd fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jul 14, 2012

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

You can get octane boosters at local auto shops for like ~$3 that should fix that problem. Easier than emptying the gas or dealing with bad gas for a whole tank. :)

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Octane booster will only boost it by like .1 of an octane point. It's a scam. If you're real concerned just drain it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Boru posted:

clutch stuff

Do you have the manual for your bike? The first thing you should do is go through the whole clutch adjustment procedure. Usually you set the actuator's rest point down near the actuator arm, then adjust the cable tension bolt at the clutch end to take up slack in the cable, then use the adjuster at the handlebar to ensure the clutch isn't slipping in normal riding and that you have an appropriate amount of lever travel. I don't know anything about the specific process or things to adjust on a CX500, though.

Your earlier description of the problem was a bit confusing. What, specifically, is wrong? You said you can roll it back and forth in neutral...if you put it in first gear and let go of the clutch, does the bike stay in one place? Can you push it around in first gear with the clutch held in?

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008

cixelsyd posted:

In a total moment of herp derp, I accidentally put regular gas in my bike instead of premium. After the rest of the leftover gas had been used the bike started idling funny and sometimes would just shut off when sitting at a light with the clutch pulled. I never had any problems with it before; should I be worried about it?

I thought I read somewhere that the lower octane fuel may throw the fuel system timing off and was wondering if that's what's causing it the bike to idle weird. This is an 05 - r6.

Thanks in advance!

e: spelling is difficult

I really don't think the difference should be huge, ride the 100miles or whatever your tank gives you an go back to what you usually use. Are you sure that's the only thing you changed?

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

2ndclasscitizen posted:

If you don't go and get proper, moulded silcone earplugs made up as well you're a chump. So much better than trying to roll up and properly fit foamies.
I am intrigued. Can you recommend where to get them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

While custom fits are certainly fine, so are good foamies. I work in extreme noise environments everyday with nazi safety guys that love justifying their jobs, and they all use foamies just fine.

Only nitpick I might have with them is comfort. If you have a small ear canal they can be a bit uncomfortable when they expand. I don't have this problem, but Mrs. Slidebite does.