Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

So seriously, someone school me on Necrons. I have absolutely no idea what's good (other than doom scythes and the CCB of course) any more. 10 immortals in night scythes? 10 warriors in ghost arks? 20 warriors outside of ghost arks? Is there anything in Elite even worth taking? Are Doomsday arks better with the change to blast vs. vehicles? Annihilation barges as (cheaper than doom scythe) anti-light-vehicle autocannon platforms?

e: I guess Triarch Stalkers are still good? Possibly Lychguard if you can run hyperphase swords as power axes?

e2: Now that Rod of the Covenant is a power axe, why would you ever run Praetorians when Lychguard have an extra attack and a 4++ save for 5 points more a model?

You can't run hyper phase swords as axes. They have a profile in the iPad codex. They are ap3 strength as user.

Also, people were talking about MANz being characters and using LOSir for wound allocation. They're not, regular nobz are listed as characters but MANz are not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

When did you start playing Epic?

:unsmith:

:smith:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Cataphract posted:

Also, people were talking about MANz being characters and using LOSir for wound allocation. They're not, regular nobz are listed as characters but MANz are not.

Oh. Wow that just seriously hampers their usefulness then. Perhaps they'll adjust how squads of characters work then.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

sexart posted:

All with tax and shipping included there. Only thing is, GCM's website is pretty barebones and looks suspect. Any googling just brings up forum posts from 2009 that aren't any help. And even back then, people complained about the wait for shipping... but if its gonna save me $100+ then I'll wait a month or two. Anyone use them in Canada?

I've used them at least 3 times, and a two of those were for orders of over 200 bucks. I haven't had any issues, nothing goes missing, nothing arrives damaged, just they take a while to get here. I haven't ordered in over a year, so my memory is a bit fuzzy, but we are talking 4+ weeks. No where near 2 months, so don't worry about that.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Nephilm posted:

I don't think homosexuality qualifies as heritage.

I think he meant the whole Native American thing they had when they first came out.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

Sole.Sushi posted:

when they first came out.

*giggles*

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Sole.Sushi posted:

I think he meant the whole Native American thing they had when they first came out.

I know, but taking what I referenced into consideration, does make you wonder how they'll turn out when Matt Ward reboots their fluff.

Still won't beat Watson's Fists.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

PierreTheMime posted:

In a big game I'm really tempted to take Zandrekh, Imotehk, and multiple units of 20 Flayed Ones. Mark a unit in the back, turn two rolls around and they have a couple flyers enter--40 Flayed Ones stand less than 6" away.

Ah you must be one of those bads I hear so much about :smug::smug::smug:.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Nephilm posted:

Is this grounded in anything beyond LOL DRESSES that I'm unaware of? I guess the secrets theme? Because Jesus Christ this is some tiresome poo poo.

And Watson's Fists owned. The Necromundian class warfare as a tunnel of farts was as ham-fisted 80's GW as a Blood Bowl elf with a mammoth codpiece and a mohawk that doubles his height.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

moths posted:

Is this grounded in anything beyond LOL DRESSES that I'm unaware of? I guess the secrets theme? Because Jesus Christ this is some tiresome poo poo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lionel_Johnson

And in case you don't feel like reading into it further, "The Dark Angel" is a poem about his homosexual lust.

VVVV Are you being serious? Sorry, I can't tell.

Nephilm fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jul 14, 2012

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

poo poo, I always thought that was a Thundercats reference.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
So the new GW in Northern Virginia is opening tomorrow and they're doing 500 point "First to the Fight Scenario Challenge" games. Can't decide what I want to do. Thinking something like this:

HQ

Coteaz (Prescience and Assail) – 100

TROOPS

Inquisitorial Henchmen Squad (5x Death Cult Assassins, 3x Crusaders) – 120
Chimera (Heavy Flamer, Multilaser) – 55

Inquisitorial Henchmen Squad (2x Jokaero Weaponsmiths, 2x plasma servitors) – 110
Chimera (Heavy Bolter, Multilaser) – 55

Inquisitorial Henchmen Squad (6x Psykers) – 60

500 POINTS

Idk, I keep thinking of ways it would get its rear end kicked but its hard to write for 500 points. Is it even worth using transports in tiny games since they take up22% of my points? I wish I could just throw a bunch of orks on the table and call it a day. Orks own at low points levels

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Sole.Sushi posted:

Play Space Wolves. Go on. Do it.

If you can manage to survive your first encounter with a fat, greasy Warhambeast going on about "pups" and "the Fang" and "I have real viking blood in me" and "my fursona has always been a wolf, so this army is perfect," then congratulations, you've earned the right to play Space Wolves.

And also to cry out of fear. No one will think less of you if you do.

We have a guy like that. "I was a marine and am a viking so"

I told him I play guard because if I was in combat I'd die by the hundreds.

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop
For Dark Eldar, phantasm grenade launchers are the new hotness. In 6th edition, defensive grenades now give you Shroud if you're within 8" of the guys shooting at you. It can mitigate the hurt you take from nearby shooting squads after you gobble up a unit with Wyches or Incubi.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Sole.Sushi posted:

So you admit to being That Guy. :stonk:

No way, all that roleplaying on B&C creeps me the gently caress out. :staredog:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Snollygoster posted:

For Dark Eldar, phantasm grenade launchers are the new hotness. In 6th edition, defensive grenades now give you Shroud if you're within 8" of the guys shooting at you. It can mitigate the hurt you take from nearby shooting squads after you gobble up a unit with Wyches or Incubi.

Not to mention be really, REALLY useful against overwatch.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

bhsman posted:

No way, all that roleplaying on B&C creeps me the gently caress out. :staredog:

Well then you're gonna love this post! :thumbsup:

Nephilm posted:

I know, but taking what I referenced into consideration, does make you wonder how they'll turn out when Matt Ward reboots their fluff.

When Ward gets a hold on their fluff, one of two things will happen:
1) The "Big Secret" is explained in great, excruciating detail to let GW further distance itself from the whole thing.
2) Dick jokes.

Captain Dixon Cox looked down at his auspex, and let out a heavy sigh. Turning to his champion--his company champion--he spoke with grim finality.

"Johnson Hardwood, my most trusted friend. Tonight, we bed with the enemy, and only our resolve, our ability to withstand the surmounting charge, will see us through."

Hardwood nodded solemnly. A cut split his lower lip, a gift from an Ork Warboss, which lisped his reply ever so softly. "They shall burst upon our vanguard, their hot bodies spilling over us like water. We shall stand, and they shall fall to their knees."

It was then that Veteran Brother Richard, entombed in mighty ceremite, spoke through the coms, his tinny voice the only indicator that something was human inside the imposing dreadnought. "For gently caress's sake, would you two grow up already? Christ alive..."

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

The Big Secret was already explained almost 20 years ago in Codex: Angels of Death.

So it's gonna be dick jokes.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
^^^
What does AoD say? I can't find my copy anywhere. That book and the CSM from 2nd edition own so hard.

Nephilm posted:

That's the current motif. He means the first nations/native american one.

e: dammit, refresh the page.

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop
I think my favorite Dark Angels anything is the story where their primarch gets into it with Night Haunter in Age of Darkness. Aaron Dembski-Bowden is really good at selling readers on Space Marines. I think his secret ingredient is an authentic ear for dialogue (swear words).

I'm serious. Like the bit where one of the Angels speaks up to Jonson and calls Tsagualsa a "purgatorial shithole" with absolute conviction, I was sold on the story and characters. More cusses please

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

The big secret is that half of the chapter fell to Chaos. AoD was, as far as I know, where that fluff originated.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I had a guy who saw my space wolves and saw that i used the wolfs head on my lord and all the wolfguard, he automatically assumed I was like him, wolf fursona. :gonk: He even did the "i am true viking blood" line, and me being a smart rear end pointed out viking isn't a thing, its an action, and that he has Norse blood. He waddled over to another guy to ask if he was a vampire because he was playing Blood Angels.

I've seen people do some good personal armies, I have a friend who painted all his guardsmen to be East Indian like himself.

Before 6th I was having issues dealing with vehicles with my necrons, but in 6th, I don't think they'll be a problem; every 6 on a warrior will be a hull point.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

PierreTheMime posted:

The other Reserve manipulation that hasn't really been toyed with much (but I might) is a Reserve-heavy army that plays off of the enemy using Zandrehk's Phased reinforcements. Anytime an opponent brings anything onto the table from Reserve you get to Deep Strike models in on their turn. Sure, you take a couple hits, but then you have a unit or more that get to fully act on your turn.

In a big game I'm really tempted to take Zandrekh, Imotehk, and multiple units of 20 Flayed Ones. Mark a unit in the back, turn two rolls around and they have a couple flyers enter--40 Flayed Ones stand less than 6" away.

I'm planning on using that in the list I might be bringing to Nova:

HQ
Necron Overlord (#1) - 210pts
++Warscythe, Sempiternal Weave, Mindshackle Scarabs
Catacomb Command Barge
++Gauss Cannon

Nemesor Zhandrekh - 185pts
++Staff of Light, Adaptive Tactics, Counter Tactics, Phased Reinforcements

Elites

Troops
Necron Warriors (#11) - 302pts
++9x Necron Warrior
++2x Harbinger of Destruction
Ghost Ark

Necron Warriors (#7) - 215pts
++5x Necron Warrior
++2x Harbinger of the Storm
Night Scythe

Necron Warriors (#7) - 215pts
++5x Necron Warrior
++2x Harbinger of the Storm
Night Scythe

Necron Immortals (#7) - 175pts
++5x Immortals w/ Tesla Carbines
++2x Harbingers of Destruction w/ 1x Solar Pulse

Necron Immortals (#8) - 192pts
++6x Immortals w/ Tesla Carbines
++2x Harbingers of Destruction w/ 1x Solar Pulse

Fast Attack
Tomb Blades (#5) - 150pts
++5x Tomb Blade w/ TL-Tesla Carbine, Shadowlooms

Heavy Support
Doom Scythe - 175pts

Annihilation Barge - 90pts
++Gauss Cannon

Annihilation Barge - 90pts
++Gauss Cannon

TOTAL - 1999pts

I guess the basic idea is that Zhandrek rides with the dudes in the Ghost Ark? Giving them Tank Hunters seems like a decent way of ensuring that they can take down a vehicle (I have some pretty terrible luck with Crypteks rolling ones, lol). Night Fighting and Stealth seem like they could be useful too. Being able to Deep Strike my fliers automatically after the opponent's fliers come in also seems very useful if going second or having disastrous rolls on my turn 2.

The Tomb Blades are probably the most iffy of my units; I'm not sure what they should be armed with. Tesla seems nice from both an anti-infantry and anti-vehicle point, although they can't touch AV12 (but should have the mobility to get side shots). I'm not sure if the Shadowlooms are worth it either - dropping them, one warrior, the exta immortal and the second solar pulse would get me another squad of them and that might be more worthwhile.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kaysette posted:

So the new GW in Northern Virginia is opening tomorrow and they're doing 500 point "First to the Fight Scenario Challenge" games. Can't decide what I want to do. Thinking something like this:

HQ

Coteaz (Prescience and Assail) – 100

TROOPS

Inquisitorial Henchmen Squad (5x Death Cult Assassins, 3x Crusaders) – 120
Chimera (Heavy Flamer, Multilaser) – 55

Inquisitorial Henchmen Squad (2x Jokaero Weaponsmiths, 2x plasma servitors) – 110
Chimera (Heavy Bolter, Multilaser) – 55

Inquisitorial Henchmen Squad (6x Psykers) – 60

500 POINTS

Idk, I keep thinking of ways it would get its rear end kicked but its hard to write for 500 points. Is it even worth using transports in tiny games since they take up22% of my points? I wish I could just throw a bunch of orks on the table and call it a day. Orks own at low points levels

I'll be there with orange dark angels (sorry beer4thebeergod, don't have the car tomorrow)

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational

Naramyth posted:

We have a guy like that. "I was a marine and am a viking so"

I told him I play guard because if I was in combat I'd die by the hundreds.

I play tyranids, because no one in this galaxy wants to talk to me...

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I play Chaos because I'm an rear end in a top hat who goes around murdering people who worship other gods.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Where in nova is the new GW?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Wut?

Whelp, here's 2k of painted army #4, Mehcrons. The theme this time? Source lighting! Sorta. I dunno.

:toot:

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
So is there only two meganob models now? Combi-skorcha, Combi-rokkit... there's no shoota option?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
There never was, AFAIK.

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

There used to be a TL shoota one as well, but the metal version of that disappeared a few years back and never reappeared. There's a picture of one on p67 of the codex.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

So awesome. Do you have other angles of Orikan?

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
Which one of these lists should I play today for 500 point Grey Knights?

List A:
code:
Inquistor Coteaz

2 x Jokaero, 3 x plasma cannon Servitor in Chimera
2 x Jokaero, Warrior Acolyte in Rhino

17 points left over to buy stuff
List B:
code:
Inquistor Coteaz

3 x Warrior Acolyte go into Stormraven

Stormraven w/ typhoon missile launcher, ??? turret
A has more lascannons that I can just shoot them off the table with and then heavy flamer them when they close in. B has a Surprise Stormraven that no one will expect.

e: there are no missions or objectives or anything, just kill points. As many kill points as you can get in 30 min

Phyresis fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jul 14, 2012

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Play powerblob Imperial Guard and just don't give up any KP.

I have a bunch of old Heavy Gear models that I was going to convert to Tau, as seen here:

But I no longer have any Tau stuff. How bad would it be to Orkify them into MANs? I have lots of Ork arms and heads around.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

I'll be there with orange dark angels (sorry beer4thebeergod, don't have the car tomorrow)

It's cool. :(

We'll get a game in, one of these days!

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Phyresis posted:

Which one of these lists should I play today for 500 point Grey Knights?

List A:
code:
Inquistor Coteaz

17 points left over to buy stuff
List B:
code:
Inquistor Coteaz

3 x Warrior Acolyte go into Stormraven

Stormraven w/ typhoon missile launcher, ??? turret
A has more lascannons that I can just shoot them off the table with and then heavy flamer them when they close in. B has a Surprise Stormraven that no one will expect.

e: there are no missions or objectives or anything, just kill points. As many kill points as you can get in 30 min

Man, with those rules, I can't imagine the Orks not ruling. 500 pts is what, three KP with around 50 boyz with PK Nobs, and either a KFF Mek or a MA Warboss? Admittedly, they wouldn't have much to do to the Stormraven, but you aren't gonna table that list in 30 mins.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

JesustheDarkLord posted:

But I no longer have any Tau stuff. How bad would it be to Orkify them into MANs? I have lots of Ork arms and heads around.

The proportions are pretty un-orky, it'd be a daunting task to do well. However if you have a solid idea on how it'd work, it's worth a go. Decent ork conversions look amazing and can come from unlikely places.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I guess the basic idea is that Zhandrek rides with the dudes in the Ghost Ark? Giving them Tank Hunters seems like a decent way of ensuring that they can take down a vehicle (I have some pretty terrible luck with Crypteks rolling ones, lol). Night Fighting and Stealth seem like they could be useful too. Being able to Deep Strike my fliers automatically after the opponent's fliers come in also seems very useful if going second or having disastrous rolls on my turn 2.

The Tomb Blades are probably the most iffy of my units; I'm not sure what they should be armed with. Tesla seems nice from both an anti-infantry and anti-vehicle point, although they can't touch AV12 (but should have the mobility to get side shots). I'm not sure if the Shadowlooms are worth it either - dropping them, one warrior, the exta immortal and the second solar pulse would get me another squad of them and that might be more worthwhile.

I swear that Crypteks statistically roll more ones to hit when using Eldritch Lances than normal. I probably miss 2/3 of those damned shots, especially when the matter. It must be their lack of binocular vision. :rolleeye:

I'd probably drop one of the Solar Pulses either way since Night Fighting is no longer as crippling as it was in 5th, both for you and the enemy. I'd be interested to hear how two units of Tomb Blades perform. I'd like to try them, but I haven't had the time or money yet. I still need to get three-6 more of those sweet, sweet Wraith models.

Also: Destroyer Lord attached to six Canoptek Wraiths in a Night Scythe is a pretty terrifying thing to appear on turn two at your front line. 36" Zoom +1-2" disembark +6" move +1d6" run. That ought to get me just about anywhere.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jul 14, 2012

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dominion posted:

Where in nova is the new GW?

Tower Center Hobby Center
6810 Bland Street
Springfield, VA 22150

opening noon today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

OB_Juan posted:

Man, with those rules, I can't imagine the Orks not ruling. 500 pts is what, three KP with around 50 boyz with PK Nobs, and either a KFF Mek or a MA Warboss? Admittedly, they wouldn't have much to do to the Stormraven, but you aren't gonna table that list in 30 mins.

Bro I have 6 plasma cannons and 6 heavy flamers in the list as it stands right now (Coteaz, psyker inq, 2 chims with 2 jok 3 pc servitor). I'm debating putting in the psykers but they have over a 25% chance to perils and just poof.

• Locked thread