Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
themachine
Jun 6, 2003

Welcome to the machine

bull3964 posted:

Honestly, I still really like the Bionic and kind of wish I still had it instead of my Razr right now as a backup phone (mostly because I have a 2700 mAh extended battery for it still.)

Yeah, the display is a bit crap, but the phone itself is built to last and be easily repairable. It's one of the few phones you can buy now where the glass/digitizer isn't bonded to the display. You can pick up new $35 front panels for the thing to fix cracked displays. It also uses virtually no glue and no ribbon cables in the construction which makes it easy to disassemble.

Between the front panel and large removable back, you could refurbish a beat to death Bionic into looking virtually brand new for about $40 and a half hour's worth of work.

The guts are virtually the same as the Razr counterparts, so if they start matching the software builds to those phones, it's a REALLY solid used 4g phone on version for $179.

Can I get a link for the front panels? The first week I got mine, I swung around sharply and kinda threw it off the table by hitting it with my arm. The only damage was a barely visible scratch on the front glass. If it's really that cheap and easy to swap it out, awesome, my phone will look virtually new then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Have you used it? What's your opinions?

It sucks. It has absolutely no tolerance for slang or vernacular, and 2/3's of the commands made are done wrong. It's clunky and whenever you ask it to do something and you don't word it perfectly with the perfect spacing of actions - like if you say "send a message to jenny, message 'call me maybe'" it will send a message to Johnny that says "message calling baby". Not only that, but I kept getting stumped trying to say things with the right cadence and enunciation for it to understand what I was saying that I would lose trac of what I wanted to say and if you pause for even a quarter of a second, it ends the recording and stops transcribing.

gently caress VLingo. Google Now is worlds better.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

themachine posted:

Can I get a link for the front panels? The first week I got mine, I swung around sharply and kinda threw it off the table by hitting it with my arm. The only damage was a barely visible scratch on the front glass. If it's really that cheap and easy to swap it out, awesome, my phone will look virtually new then.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replace-TOU...=item41675c4cba

iFixit has good teardown instructions.

The Catalyst
Jan 29, 2003

I'm Mister Hundred and One.

cuedotnet posted:

So I just called verizon and inquired about the $30/mo unlimited mobile hotspot. Apparently it is still offered to unlimited data users. I was originally told it was being done away with on the 28th along with everything else. To my surprise I learned that it was still available. So I snagged it. Guy on the phone said he didn't now much longer it was going to be offered. So if you've been on the fence about getting a hotspot option, and you have unlimited data, take advantage.

I decided to just buy a MiFi unit (outright), instead of signing up for the unlimited mobile hotspot.

Figured it'd save me some money in the long run, since Verizon came right out and stated they don't have any problem with end users hot swapping their SIM cards between devices.

The Catalyst fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jul 13, 2012

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:
I'm still trying to find the true limit to "unlimited". I've been using my hotspot for my desktop. A friend gave me access to his VPN, so I've been grabbing music left and right. So far about 15 gigs. I'm sitting at 35 gigs currently. 23/30 days left in this billing cycle. Maybe its as Daniel Hesse says...

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

cuedotnet posted:

I'm still trying to find the true limit to "unlimited". I've been using my hotspot for my desktop. A friend gave me access to his VPN, so I've been grabbing music left and right. So far about 15 gigs. I'm sitting at 35 gigs currently. 23/30 days left in this billing cycle. Maybe its as Daniel Hesse says...

In the latter half of last year, I pulled a job that was nearly 6 months long; out in an oilfield with the rare day off and living in a company-owned trailer with zero internet access. I had only my Bionic and 4G access. Given the circumstances, I did't care if VZW dumped my unlimited plan or not. Between Hulu, Netflix, HBOGO, and the Diablo 3 Beta, I averaged 60 GB/month in usage between September and December.

I've yet to hear a peep from VZW. In fact, I went into a corporate store the other day: the guy who pulled up my account said their system recommended that I go with a 10 GB/month plan. I laughed and so did he.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

C2C - 2.0 posted:

In the latter half of last year, I pulled a job that was nearly 6 months long; out in an oilfield with the rare day off and living in a company-owned trailer with zero internet access. I had only my Bionic and 4G access. Given the circumstances, I did't care if VZW dumped my unlimited plan or not. Between Hulu, Netflix, HBOGO, and the Diablo 3 Beta, I averaged 60 GB/month in usage between September and December.

I've yet to hear a peep from VZW. In fact, I went into a corporate store the other day: the guy who pulled up my account said their system recommended that I go with a 10 GB/month plan. I laughed and so did he.

If I had better reception, id be playing D3 also. Only 3 bars. Stupid concrete. I'm totally "that guy".

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

cuedotnet posted:

Holy gently caress! I had a travel mishap and ended up living in airports for a day and a half a couple weeks ago at the start of my billing period. Since airports typically have bitchin' LTE reception and I have unlimited I figured using that was better than airport wifi. I am now a week away from the end of my billing period and I'm at 7.5GB used. Unlimited is worth its weight in gold when it can save your rear end.

snowman
Aug 20, 2004
due it
It's pretty cool that you guys are running such high amounts of data on your unlimited 4g. How awesome would it be if a company started offering a true unlimited 4g data service, that didn't have to come with phone service? It could be used for phone, tablet, laptop, pc or game console, wherever you went. It seems like the technology has reached this point, so if the future has arrived, why isn't anyone selling it yet?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

snowman posted:

It's pretty cool that you guys are running such high amounts of data on your unlimited 4g. How awesome would it be if a company started offering a true unlimited 4g data service, that didn't have to come with phone service? It could be used for phone, tablet, laptop, pc or game console, wherever you went. It seems like the technology has reached this point, so if the future has arrived, why isn't anyone selling it yet?

Is this a legitimate question?

It's because they've convinced everyone that there's a big tank of internet and that they need to pay $30 a gig or else all the internet pipes will explode from over use and that makes the phone carriers extremely profitable.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

snowman posted:

Clearwire WiMAX does just this. But its hit or miss.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I've gotten up 10 gigs when I was streaming Mushi-shi from Crackle.

It feels great not having to worry about data.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Having unlimited LTE has saved my bacon a couple times too. My pals and I felt kinda silly speculating on Verizon last July by signing up for terri-bad LTE phones and living in a market where LTE wasn't even deployed yet while suffering reduced data speeds and somehow reduced coverage in our market (vs. AT&T), all in the slim hope that "at some distant point in the future, it will be worth it."

I feel vindicated.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Is it possible to convert an out of contract line from a family plan that has grandfathered data into a pure Hotspot only line without losing unlimited? Obviously I'll have to purchase a hotspot without upgrading/renewing.

bigtom
May 7, 2007

Playing the solid gold hits and moving my liquid lips...
Question - I have the Nationwide Talk & Text 900 plan with unlimited texting, and I would like to add a line for my grandmother since she really doesn't need her own cell plan since my grandfather passed away. Will I need to change over to the new share plans, or can I just add a line to share my minutes/messages?

She doesn't want a smartphone, and since I have unlimited data I don't want to do anything that will chance losing it.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

JayKay posted:

Is it possible to convert an out of contract line from a family plan that has grandfathered data into a pure Hotspot only line without losing unlimited? Obviously I'll have to purchase a hotspot without upgrading/renewing.

Can't you just swap the 4g sim into the hotspot?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

bigtom posted:

Question - I have the Nationwide Talk & Text 900 plan with unlimited texting, and I would like to add a line for my grandmother since she really doesn't need her own cell plan since my grandfather passed away. Will I need to change over to the new share plans, or can I just add a line to share my minutes/messages?

She doesn't want a smartphone, and since I have unlimited data I don't want to do anything that will chance losing it.

You can add a line no problem for $9.99/mo. There was a bunch of confusion surrounding the wording of "new customer" in the training slides. Verizon meant new accounts and some people (myself included) interpreted it as any additions to accounts that previously did not exist.

There are only two things that will force a transition to Share Everything:
1) Transfer of Liability
2) Starting a new account

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

SeaborneClink posted:

You can add a line no problem for $9.99/mo.
Just for clarity, he said T&T 900, so I'm guessing he wants to switch his plan from a single line plan to a family plan. Is that still allowed?

E: I guess I mean what is the official difference between "account" and "plan"?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Mr. Despair posted:

Can't you just swap the 4g sim into the hotspot?

Probably, but this was more of porting my wife's # off our family plan and converting my line to just a data line with no minutes.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

JayKay posted:

Probably, but this was more of porting my wife's # off our family plan and converting my line to just a data line with no minutes.

That sounds like a plan change, in which case they would lol on your unlimited data.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Good news for us VZW S3 owners, unlocker tool possibly in the works:
http://www.droid-life.com/2012/07/1...oftware-update/

I'll believe it when I see it.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

The Milkman posted:

Good news for us VZW S3 owners, unlocker tool possibly in the works:
http://www.droid-life.com/2012/07/1...oftware-update/

I'll believe it when I see it.

Out of all these reports in the Android tech press, there have been no attempts by any of the media outlets to pick up the phone and call Verizon and clear this issue up. I'd think that if you're the Android editor of Engadget or Verge, it would be pretty easy to get Verizon PR on the line and find out once and for all the answer about whether these reps have been talking about an unlock of the gsm bands (for using the gsiii as an international phone) or the bootloader.

snowman
Aug 20, 2004
due it

SpartanIV posted:

Is this a legitimate question?

It's because they've convinced everyone that there's a big tank of internet and that they need to pay $30 a gig or else all the internet pipes will explode from over use and that makes the phone carriers extremely profitable.

Yeah it's a legitimate question. I know the big cell carriers are greedy, but mobile devices just keep getting better and better, with higher res screens becoming the norm(retina ipad, etc) and as software/content catches up the bandwidth usage is gonna skyrocket. Think of games streamed to your phone or tablet, which is connected to your tv by wifi or bluetooth. No console necessary. Same with netflix type services in HD, they are bandwidth hogs, and 4k is just around the corner. And it'd be pretty sweet to be able to whip your laptop out anywhere and not worry about finding a slow/unsecure wifi connection.

If one of the companies got in early and offered a reasonable plan they could pick up a ton of users.

Someone else mentioned clearwire 4g wimax, so I looked into it and clearwire is rolling out LTE some time next year. If they had good coverage, and you could buy say a galaxy nexus that was compatible with it, it could be a killer plan. But really it would be better if it was an existing major carrier, because then they could sell you phone service as well for when you didn't have lte coverage.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

SeaborneClink posted:

You can add a line no problem for $9.99/mo. There was a bunch of confusion surrounding the wording of "new customer" in the training slides. Verizon meant new accounts and some people (myself included) interpreted it as any additions to accounts that previously did not exist.

There are only two things that will force a transition to Share Everything:
1) Transfer of Liability
2) Starting a new account

What if you're currently on a dumb phone plan with no data?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Motorola has bootloader 'issues', and supposedly offered an unlocked version, but Verizon never announced an unlocking tool

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

So I got the insurance replacement for the Galaxy Nexus with the cracked screen I posted about earlier. Everything looks good except that occasionally the phone will just lose all data and cell signal, but regain it as soon as I turn the screen off and back on.

Normally I'd say gently caress it and just call Asurion back up and get another replacement, but it seems like kind of odd behavior, so I'm wondering if maybe it could be a software issue? I did unlock/root the phone when I got it, and unsuccessfully tried to flash a jellybean ROM before reverting back to stock, so I'm wondering if maybe it's worth just doing a factory reset first and see if that fixes it.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

MrBond posted:

What if you're currently on a dumb phone plan with no data?

You get to choose from one of the tiered offerings. 2GB/5GB/10GB

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

SeaborneClink posted:

You get to choose from one of the tiered offerings. 2GB/5GB/10GB

How many years would it take you to use 2gb of data on most dumbphones

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Don Lapre posted:

How many years would it take you to use 2gb of data on most dumbphones

My understanding was he was asking what happens when you switch from a dumbphone to smartphone.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
There's no data requirement for dumb phones is there? Or is there now a forced 2GB of data even for ancient phones that are newly added?

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

JP Money posted:

There's no data requirement for dumb phones is there? Or is there now a forced 2GB of data even for ancient phones that are newly added?

Nah, but I don't know why in the world you'd get Verizon with just a dumbphone.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

JP Money posted:

Dumb phones with qwerty keyboards require them i think.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Don Lapre posted:

There are phones like the VX10000 that do not require data plans.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

maduin posted:

Nah, but I don't know why in the world you'd get Verizon with just a dumbphone.

I imagine there is a HUGE holdover of older folks who used to use verizon back in the day when dumbphones were prevalent who just kept on using it. There's got to be a ton of older people who are using the same nokias and such that they've had since 2000.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Don Lapre posted:

Not anymore, there was a brief period where some "multimedia" phones required a $10 data plan...

But that was a massive failure.

eig
Oct 16, 2008

Both my parents still have dumbphones and my mom has that silly $10 75MB data plan which lets her check her email and not really anything else.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Can I get some advice?

I went into a Verizon retail store about the charger port being loose and they issued me a warranty replacement. They mail me a refurb and i send the old one back. Two months later I get a $300 damaged item bill. They say the phone was cracked and therefore not warranty.

I said gently caress you send me my old phone back and they say they can't. I can return the refurbished unit and get a new one at upgrade price.

I filed a dispute on the charge and they're supposed to get back to me.

Any pro tips on this situation?

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

Mighty Horse posted:

Not anymore, there was a brief period where some "multimedia" phones required a $10 data plan...

But that was a massive failure.

Those were dark times.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

Ron Jeremy posted:

Can I get some advice?

I went into a Verizon retail store about the charger port being loose and they issued me a warranty replacement. They mail me a refurb and i send the old one back. Two months later I get a $300 damaged item bill. They say the phone was cracked and therefore not warranty.

I said gently caress you send me my old phone back and they say they can't. I can return the refurbished unit and get a new one at upgrade price.

I filed a dispute on the charge and they're supposed to get back to me.

Any pro tips on this situation?
I can't say for sure without seeing what happened to your poor phone. They should have emailed you the pictures of the damage. Either post them here or PM them to me or if you don't have the pictures PM me the order number location code for that order and I can get them that way if you have that. If you don't have PM I'm bthesing@gmail.com

Stores should seriously not direct you to seek warranty replacement if anything is cracked, discolored, leaking strange fluids etc as this is not covered by manufacturer or extended warranty. This is not a cell phone thing every single electronics manufacturer in the known universe does not cover actual damage.

What can you do? Well saying that you were told to send back the damaged device is somewhat undermined by the pamphlet that is enclosed with each warranty replacement that says DON'T SEND US BROKEN poo poo OR YOU GET CHARGED THIS FEE. It's not actually in all caps but it's there.

So what can you do? If you are a tenured customer with a lot of lines and you are persistent about the fact you were directed to do this warranty thing by a store thus making it a Verizon error you might get some or all of the fee refunded or get something else like a free upgrade or bonus minutes out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

They didn't send me photos, but on my first round on the phone, they found them and said they could email them to me. I only found out about any of this until the bill showed up. The phone itself they say has disappeared into the void of the refurb pool.

That first round on the phone was seemingly productive. I was on hold while they sorted something out with the shipper when the Verizon rep hosed up the transfer and left me talking with a post office employee and not a three way conversation. Called Verizon back and had to start from square one with another rep who told me to suck it. Finally went back into the retail store to talk to the people who originally gave me the warranty authorization. The manager told me I could return the phone to cancel the damage charge and get a new phone at the upgrade price, so $200 vs $300. Either way I feel like I'm getting hosed. I have no way of proving the phone wasn't cracked when I put it in the box, but I don't feel the burden of proof should be on me to begin with. The worst part is my initial complaint that led to the warranty to begin with that I would have just lived with it had I known that I could be subject to this charge by some second inspection at the depot.

• Locked thread