Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

mattfl posted:

Made some door hangers today!

awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
Probably going to drain/fill the tranny on my Jeep(99 Cherokee 5 Speed 130k miles). Is there a preferred oil to put in(especially for high mileage trannies)?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
GL3 or GL5 as long as the bottle states it's yellow metal safe.

If it doesn't state that, it'll have higher sulfur EP additives than you really want, because it'll eat up the brass synchros and you'll need a trans rebuild a few tens of thousands of miles later.

I'm running mobil1 10W30 in mine (on the suggestion fo several people whose experience I trust... it sounds pretty retarded I admit) and so far, no issues, but I really wish I could find a yellow metal safe GL5 around here.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Veins McGee posted:

Probably going to drain/fill the tranny on my Jeep(99 Cherokee 5 Speed 130k miles). Is there a preferred oil to put in(especially for high mileage trannies)?

If you have the NV3550 (I don't think you do but just be sure), you can't just put gear oil in. Use something specifically formulated for manual transmissions like Pennzoil Syncromesh.

vains
May 26, 2004

kastein posted:

GL3 or GL5 as long as the bottle states it's yellow metal safe.

If it doesn't state that, it'll have higher sulfur EP additives than you really want, because it'll eat up the brass synchros and you'll need a trans rebuild a few tens of thousands of miles later.

I'm running mobil1 10W30 in mine (on the suggestion fo several people whose experience I trust... it sounds pretty retarded I admit) and so far, no issues, but I really wish I could find a yellow metal safe GL5 around here.

There is some huge retarded debate about what to put in AX-15 trannies raging across several Jeep forums.

I guess I'm going to buy some Redline online and do this some other weekend.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
yeah, it's pretty loving stupid.

Just keep the sulfur EP compounds to a bare minimum and you will be fine. Everyone who isn't retarded agrees on that, since sulfur loooooves brass/bronze and it really isn't mutual.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Replaced the front brake pads and rotors on my XJ today. I love working on the Jeep, it's so easy and I rarely have to fight stuff. Napa's premium rotors and ceramic pads seem to work pretty well for only about $120 total.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Run convenience store SAE30 in an AX15. They're practically free on any local jeep forum.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Ozmiander posted:

Run convenience store SAE30 in an AX15. They're practically free on any local jeep forum.

I'm looking for one at the moment actually.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Free? Around where I usually look they are 140-200, maybe I'm looking in the wrong spots.

Best I ever did was trade an AW4 and all the parts to install it for one, that ended up costing me around 90 bucks because I had to buy a few things to complete the AW4 swap parts collection.

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE USED TO LIVE HERE...
Hey I'm working on replacing my water pump, I just started draining the radiator, but I noticed when I removed the radiator cap, there is just a big mound of sludge. Is there any type of solvents I want to be using when flushing the coolant system? Or should I just dig out the sludge by hand and flush it with a hose?

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Any of the "flush" liquids you buy at the store will work if it is just rust/dirt crud. They're made from citric acid, so they're safe on metals.

I've also used powdered Cascade dish soap when I wanted to flush out a previous owners stop-leak garbage. It worked very well since that stuff is like gum. It also gave my Jeep a lemon fresh shine!

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
MY GIRLFRIEND and I started getting into riding bicycles and I started looking at ways to carry 2 bikes on my wrangler.

The only problem is that the vast majority of bike mounts are :signings: and I dont have a receiver hitch.

I have a cheap (GF's dad found it abandoned in a junkyard and fixed it up) Schwinn . The girlfriend has a cheap huffy that belonged to my mom but has been left out in the rain and we started to fix up. Red spray paint goes a long way to cover the shame.

Anyhow, I'm thinking about throwing something together with tubing/heavy duty zip ties and 550 cord.

We'll see how this goes.

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE USED TO LIVE HERE...
Next question, where the hell is the engine block coolant drain plugs on an 96 XJ? I searched all over the net but can't find any diagrams or a good description of where it is on a 4.0L.

VV I think I found one but its in such a lovely location I'm not even going to worry about flushing the block.

MAJOR STRYkER fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 15, 2012

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

there's a whole bunch on the driver side of the block and iirc one or two on the back of the block and head.

Froderick
Aug 15, 2007

You don't box in a vet.
Brought home my new project today, sold my shitbox corolla.

89 XJ with 254k on the body, 10k on a newly rebuilt engine. Engine is bored .20 over and has godawful paint [obviously] on the valve cover. I've got some work to do, I'm fine with the lift on the front but there are 3" blocks in the rear. What do I need to remove the blocks and lower the rear about an inch? The front looks like it's sagging but I'm pretty sure it's that heavy rear end HS9500i on the already heavy bumper.

I've also got to get a better radiator, flush the coolant, remove the carpet/light bars/crappy aftermarket alarm/stickers/homemade fender flares... poo poo. Typing that made me realize how much work I have to do. But the parts on it are worth more than I have in it. And I need a better hobby.

Going to the junkyard tomorrow for front seats and other miscellaneous parts, can anyone recommend some junkyard upgrades? I'm just getting back into 4wd and this is my first Jeep so I'm probably going to have tons of questions.

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST
I promised a picture of the cherokee, so here's one taken about 5 minutes ago with the trans fried. Im on the side of the road waiting for my buddy to tow it.

http://i.imgur.com/tYs0r.jpg

vains
May 26, 2004

Froderick posted:

Brought home my new project today, sold my shitbox corolla.

89 XJ with 254k on the body, 10k on a newly rebuilt engine. Engine is bored .20 over and has godawful paint [obviously] on the valve cover. I've got some work to do, I'm fine with the lift on the front but there are 3" blocks in the rear. What do I need to remove the blocks and lower the rear about an inch? The front looks like it's sagging but I'm pretty sure it's that heavy rear end HS9500i on the already heavy bumper.

I've also got to get a better radiator, flush the coolant, remove the carpet/light bars/crappy aftermarket alarm/stickers/homemade fender flares... poo poo. Typing that made me realize how much work I have to do. But the parts on it are worth more than I have in it. And I need a better hobby.

Going to the junkyard tomorrow for front seats and other miscellaneous parts, can anyone recommend some junkyard upgrades? I'm just getting back into 4wd and this is my first Jeep so I'm probably going to have tons of questions.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/budget-builds-what-junkyard-parts-will-fit-xj-847303/

This seems like a pretty good thread of poo poo you can do to your Jeep for cheap.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.

cregets posted:

Just bought this today. Got a great deal, BUT it is an automatic. I was a little upset about it at first, but seeing that it will also be a daily driver, at least it will make for an easy city commute. It also has a soft top that I will be putting on, however it was 116 here in Vegas today so I might wait until that subsides.

I am sure you will see me posting here over the next few months trying to learn as much as I can about it.

Small world. I just bought a normal person car from that same dealer so I could spend some time working on my '95 YJ. If you need a hand wrenching or want to join a never ending quest to hunt 4.0 leaks and death wobble, let me know.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

looks like the previous owner of that XJ got bugged by the cops or had to pass inspection, that's lawn/garden edging used as fender flares. No loss tearing that off...

SlimManFat posted:

I promised a picture of the cherokee, so here's one taken about 5 minutes ago with the trans fried. Im on the side of the road waiting for my buddy to tow it.

http://i.imgur.com/tYs0r.jpg
that's actually a grand cherokee, appears to be a ZJ, and I'm completely unsurprised that the trans went pear shaped on it. They have a tendency to do that.

I eats my spinach
Jan 16, 2005

'sup gordon
Success?

I got a sweetass 4" lift for free, all I have to do is never reinstall a drivetrain

Step one of three complete, pulled the radiator off the totaled jeep and started disconnecting the replacement engine with what time I had left in the day. All in all it was not as terrible as I had anticipated!

I eats my spinach fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jul 16, 2012

dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

when i move you move, just like that
Went wheeling yesterday.

Only thing I ended up breaking was my drivers side fender flare. I have some squeeks coming from the passenger side front shock area now though. I looked under and I couldn't find anything obvious, so I'll have to keep investigating.

I really wish I had lockers in the back. The rest of the guys in my group all had them and they crawled over a bunch of spots that gave me trouble with the open rear.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
Have you noticed any change in your engine bay heat after installing those speed holes in your hood?

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

kastein posted:

that's actually a grand cherokee, appears to be a ZJ, and I'm completely unsurprised that the trans went pear shaped on it. They have a tendency to do that.
Its a ZJ. Forgot to type "grand" when i was on the side of the road. I got it home and the trans is done for. Good thing all my trans fluid is back on the road and not on my driveway.

How much loving around is it to do a manual swap with a 318?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Hey guys, back with a question about my Mystery Squeak.

Took my 12' to the dealer two weeks ago tuesday, they drove it, pulled the rear wheel off, said "Whelp we can't find poo poo!" and said everything was fine, and gave me paperwork saying no problem. Theres still a squeak coming from the passengers side of the car. Ruling out the rear wheel assuming they did a good enough job looking it over, could it be a sticky caliper on the front passenger tire?

I get a "squeak squeak squeak" while coasting or pressing on the brake any time I get the vehicle up over 20mph and start to slow down. It seems to go away when I accelerate but I'm not really sure if thats just the engine / wind covering up the noise as it can be hard to hear when there isn't a solid barrier to reflect sound.

Back to the dealer for me to tell them to check another tire? (It's only got 1800 miles on it)

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jul 16, 2012

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

SlimManFat posted:

Its a ZJ. Forgot to type "grand" when i was on the side of the road. I got it home and the trans is done for. Good thing all my trans fluid is back on the road and not on my driveway.

How much loving around is it to do a manual swap with a 318?

You'll want an nv3500 or nv4500 trans from behind a 318 or 360 in a dodge truck, 4x4. If you get it from behind a 318 grab all the clutch stuff as well, if from behind a 360 grab everything but the flywheel and buy a new one for a 318 equipped dodge truck of the same year as your zj. You will need to change driveshaft length on both shafts and build a custom trans crossmember, probably. Clutch pedal is going to be interesting, depending on year a 93 or 94 manual zj pedal box, pedals, and master cyl may bolt up, not sure. Electronics are going to get interesting if you care about the CEL being on, also depending on year.

Wish I could give more definitive answers on the clutch and electronics concerns, I don't know the ZJ year splits and electronics as well as I know the XJ.

dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

when i move you move, just like that

commissargribb posted:

Have you noticed any change in your engine bay heat after installing those speed holes in your hood?
Besides the obvious 15hp gain due to speed holes aerodynamics, the only things I've noticed after installing it are

a) after a long drive, I can open up my hood without getting 2nd degree burns on my hands. I can also actually grab the hood prop without having to grab a rag or something to touch it because it's so hot.
b) after I park it after a drive, I can see the heat waves coming out of the louvers.

We have 100+ degree days fairly regularly in the summer. I have a 25 minute commute to work. Then it sits in the sun for 8-9 hours and then another 25 minute commute home before it actually has any chance to cool down. I had upgraded the lighting wiring to 10 gauge wires and relays and to help keep the water off, I put them in a radio shack project box. Before I installed the louvers, whenever I would open the hood after a drive I could take that plastic box and mold it because it was practically melted from the heat. Now when I open the hood after a drive, the box is still solid.

Engine temperature obviously stays the same.

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

kastein posted:

You'll want an nv3500 or nv4500 trans from behind a 318 or 360 in a dodge truck, 4x4. If you get it from behind a 318 grab all the clutch stuff as well, if from behind a 360 grab everything but the flywheel and buy a new one for a 318 equipped dodge truck of the same year as your zj. You will need to change driveshaft length on both shafts and build a custom trans crossmember, probably. Clutch pedal is going to be interesting, depending on year a 93 or 94 manual zj pedal box, pedals, and master cyl may bolt up, not sure. Electronics are going to get interesting if you care about the CEL being on, also depending on year.

Wish I could give more definitive answers on the clutch and electronics concerns, I don't know the ZJ year splits and electronics as well as I know the XJ.
Annnnnd... Looks like I'm going automatic again

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

commissargribb posted:

WELP.

Not sure when this happened.

A new $20 shock mount + $150 of welding later:

The frame was a bit weak in that spot and so they had to plate out the top and side where the mount went.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

poo poo, I need to open a welding/fabrication shop immediately.

That's like 1 hours work. Maximum. Including beer breaks.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

kastein posted:

poo poo, I need to open a welding/fabrication shop immediately.

That's like 1 hours work. Maximum. Including beer breaks.

I would patronize your fabrication shop.

If I had any money. :smith:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I tend to patronise everyone.

Froderick
Aug 15, 2007

You don't box in a vet.
Got the fender flares, light bars and stickers off but the drat seat bolts are rusted on. Also found some 2" Ironman shackles that should let me replace those dangerous 3" blocks and level it out a bit. If I can swing it I'm going to replace the leaf springs as well because:

Yikes.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
My XJ's rear tires are rubbing my fenders whenever somebody sits in the back seat and I go over bumps. I think the suspension is just getting worn out and saggy, but I don't have the money or desire to lift it a lot. It has a 241 transfer case so I don't want to get into the range where I need a SYE, adjustable control arms, or anything of that sort. I was thinking of maybe getting springs from an "up country" suspension package Jeep, would this be a bad idea? 1 inch of lift sounds pretty perfect.

I also have a set of shocks taken off a 2011 Rubicon with 5000 miles, which I read conflicting reports of what heights they will work. Are they too long to use with just the 1 inch from the heavier duty up country springs? Where would they max out if I wanted to go higher?

Should add, it has 235/75/r15 tires on it. These shouldn't rub correct? The wheels are properly backspaced, they just rub the bottoms of the fenders pretty hard going over any bumps.

rally fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 16, 2012

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

There was never a 241 case in the XJ/MJ - it's either a 231, or a 242. Probably a 242 I am guessing.

I'm rocking 235s on my red 98 XJ with a massive ghetto lean and it never scrapes - so not sure what's going on with yours. Could be any number of things.

Froderick - those leaves look fairly ok, they're only fanned out because the previous owner either used crummy grade U-bolts, didn't tighten them properly, or didn't retorque them after ~100 miles usage. Or those dodgy lift blocks are slowly compressing (cast aluminum ones do that...) and the U-bolts are therefore looser than they should be. A shackle lift or a mild spring or spring/shackle lift should put you right about in the proper spot without the goofy axle wrap, wheel hop, and leaf spring lifetime issues you're probably seeing with the blocks. While you have it apart, I'd probably put new leaf spring center pins/bolts in, there's a good chance they've been beat up somewhat by the leaves squirming around on the blocks. Should be only a few bucks from a decent spring rebuilder, and all you need to install them is a few large C-clamps, an angle grinder or Dremel (to cut the old one off, usually easier than unbolting it), and basic ratchets/wrenches.

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?

Froderick posted:

Got the fender flares, light bars and stickers off but the drat seat bolts are rusted on. Also found some 2" Ironman shackles that should let me replace those dangerous 3" blocks and level it out a bit. If I can swing it I'm going to replace the leaf springs as well because:

I'd skip the shackle lift. You lose approach/depart angle, and get a stiffer ride since the leaf can't flex much. Go for a mild (1.25" tops) body lift and a 2.5" suspension lift (or extra leaf). Later you can lift the transfer case and engine, and you'll get better ground clearance than if you had gone with shackles, while retaining a low center of gravity.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

He's got an XJ with a trailer hitch... no body lifts, transfer case / engine lifts, or real loss of departure angle here!

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I switched from a 2" shackle lift on worn springs to 3" new springs lift in my XJ and love the ride now. Swapping in new Bilstein 5150 shocks helped a ton too. It's not Cadillac/Crown Vic smooth but is much less jarring on crap roads.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

HAHAHHA SOLD MY loving JEEP

THE NIGHTMARE IS OVER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Slow is Fast posted:

HAHAHHA SOLD MY loving JEEP

THE NIGHTMARE IS OVER

:toot: HUZZAH!

Now I just need to sell this rifle so I can buy your gold jeep.