Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Pretty stoked, I'm at discount tire right now waiting for them to install some new Nitto motivos and remove the total poo poo FALKEN tires that have been on the car since I got it a year and a half ago. I wish I didn't have to settle for all seasons, but we don't have room for snowies in our condo. :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

I stashed my snows on the deck when I lived in an apartment.

Tech called out again yesterday. Thursday I hope.

Black Is Black
Jan 6, 2007

There is a Mazdaspeed certified dealer near me. They get sent cars from all over the country to be worked on. Lots of rotary problems. I don't know how or why these would be better mechanics other than being a bit more informed about how turbos work.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Black Is Black posted:

There is a Mazdaspeed certified dealer near me. They get sent cars from all over the country to be worked on. Lots of rotary problems. I don't know how or why these would be better mechanics other than being a bit more informed about how turbos work.

Why would a rotary fall under the MS banner? There was no MSRX8.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

No, but I could imagine rotary engines falling under the Mazdaspeed training since it's their sports car.

Dealer called. Car will be ready today. Finally.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

If you guys are perturbed about not having a temp gauge, check out the Ultra-Gauge. Excellent product. Monitors everything under the sun from Fuel Trims to O2 voltage. Tons and tons of different trip calculations like gallons per hour and number of miles since the CEL came on. Displays and clears codes. Set alarms for various values... it goes on and on.

Here I'm monitoring coolant temp, boost pressure (measures vac in PSI unfortunately), HPFP pressure, IAT, time since last start and fuel gals. You can have up to 7 pages with up to 8 gauges on each page. Top right shows open/closed loop and the heart beats to let you know all is well. Refresh is about 3fps. $80. Totally worth it.

Click for big.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Looking into getting an older (2004ish) Mazda 6. Is the fuel economy as terrible as it seems for the 2.3L? I'm pretty set on the hatchback or wagon and the 4cyl. Could go either way on the automatic or manual.

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.
So my P0133 (bank 1 sensor 1, O2 slow response) CEL is becoming more and more common. It came on twice yesterday. Could this be my O2 actually failing or more associated with my downpipe?

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

DreamOn13 posted:

Looking into getting an older (2004ish) Mazda 6. Is the fuel economy as terrible as it seems for the 2.3L? I'm pretty set on the hatchback or wagon and the 4cyl. Could go either way on the automatic or manual.

The wagon is only available in the 3.0L V6, and yeah, expect 20mpg mixed with the V6. Expect 25ish mixed with the 2.3L in the hatch.

Sublime Process posted:

So my P0133 (bank 1 sensor 1, O2 slow response) CEL is becoming more and more common. It came on twice yesterday. Could this be my O2 actually failing or more associated with my downpipe?

How old is the car? Might be time to replace it.

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

SynMoo posted:

How old is the car? Might be time to replace it.

It's an '08.5 with 54,xxx on it.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

It shouldn't be bad this early, but it's possible. Might be fouled.

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
That's what I'm thinking. At least it's the top O2 so it's "easy" to change. At least compared to the other one anyways. Any idea where I can pick up a cheap one? I'm thinking RockAuto?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

New Ultragauge installed, put it over my mirror so I can leave it installed and not worry about people seeing it and breaking in. So far I am loving it compared to my old DashHawk (which stopped working)

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
That's an interesting mounting point. How did you route the [OBDII, power?] wire?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I'm betting down the A-pillar.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Yeah, tucked behind the headliner, then to the A-pillar, straight down to the OBD port. It's totally hidden other than at each end:

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
How do you have it secured there? It looks like it's just wedged between the mirror and headliner and begging to go flying out the window on a spirited turn.

Also, is that just mini usb on the end or something proprietary? If it's usb maybe get a short extension with a right angle on the end.

Those things are neat though. Sort of makes me wish my car was OBD2.

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jul 14, 2012

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

It's wedged in there, it is NOT moving. It pushes up on the headliner about an inch. I can adjust it, but it does not move unless I want it to.

Unfortunately the cable is part of the unit. I would have liked a quick disconnect of some kind a few inches back so i could remove it if I had to without un-routing the whole length of the wire. I may get brave and cut/splice in some kind of modular connector at some point.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
How much did that sucker run you?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Rhyno posted:

How much did that sucker run you?

Got it without the windshield mount, so $60 after the $9 rebate

http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ZC/

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

I posted about this gauge on the same page. Got mine with the windshield mount.

I ordered some InstaMorph and I'm going to make my own mount for it just above the driver's side vent. I'll post pics.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

opengl128 posted:

Well poo poo! Ordering one tonight!

Black Is Black
Jan 6, 2007

opengl128 posted:

Looks like I'm board to get one tonight too.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Another cool feature I'm looking forward to is the various trip and short trip meters. You can get avg MPG, speed, time running, etc, and have it reset every drive (short trip) or when you manually reset it (trip). I have to leave my car for some body work soon and it will be nice to make sure my car wasn't driven any more than necessary.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ordered one, can't wait til it shows up!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

opengl128 posted:

I plan on doing an EGR delete on my car since its been dead for a good year and a half (CEL is on all the time). I have inspections this December so I'm undecided on how I'll tackle it (clean/replace/install dash hawk or AP to remove code). Will this give me the ability to delete the map for the EGR code?

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

No. Aside from viewing and clearing codes, all this guy does is display information and record trip stats.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

No data collection capability? Like storing the data to export to excel or something? Don't imagine it does because most people aren't nerds who would use it.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

DreamOn13 posted:

No data collection capability? Like storing the data to export to excel or something? Don't imagine it does because most people aren't nerds who would use it.

Nope, that's one thing the DashHawk had over it.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Before 142MPH on the Bonneville Salt Flats

After 142MPH on the Bonneville Salt Flats

It felt like it wanted to go faster, but maintaining traction was hard since it had rained the day before and it was still pretty wet on the speedway. Still tons of fun though.

Took it through a car wash 20 minutes after, then hand washed and waxed it with a thorough undercarriage and engine bay cleaning. Salt EVERYWHERE.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Insanely jealous. How long was the run up to 142? Any mods?

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Only mod I have is the Corksport rear motor mount insert. I don't have an exact time (though I was running Torque on my phone but apparently I don't know how it works and "start logging" only applies to the speed or something). I know 0-60 was a pitiful 13.8 seconds because of traction issues. I would say probably a minute and a half? I didn't really have a good sense of time or speed since there's loving nothing around you to gauge against. A friend did take video of the speedometer though so once she gets back I can check that for time.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

So wait, do you just hop on the flats and go for it?

Either way I'm also jealous as hell.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

I forgot about the traction issues affecting acceleration. Still curious, but obviously not a good 'real world' result. How fast were you going before you mashed it on the straight?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's awesome. Gonna have to plan a road trip around that.

In other news, my Ultra Gauge is sitting on my porch right now, gonna go home and do nothing but play with gauges all night.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

The long yellow strip is a paved road leading up to a turnaround and the sign. You can just drive right off and mash the pedal. There are events there from time to time but most of the year it's just normal BLM land and you can do whatever. I was the only one out there that took their car on the flats while I was there.

Once you leave the paved turnaround about a half mile out is the actual Speedway which is a bit smoother than the regular flats. I did the first run from about 25mph then a few more from 0 to 130+.

I wouldn't say that it's a "gotta do it" thing, especially if you aren't able to hose everything down the same day, but if you're in the area (SLC or Wendover) for some reason it's tons of fun.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

charliebravo77 posted:

Before 142MPH on the Bonneville Salt Flats

After 142MPH on the Bonneville Salt Flats

It felt like it wanted to go faster, but maintaining traction was hard since it had rained the day before and it was still pretty wet on the speedway. Still tons of fun though.

Took it through a car wash 20 minutes after, then hand washed and waxed it with a thorough undercarriage and engine bay cleaning. Salt EVERYWHERE.
Are you another Salt Lake MZR goon? Have you ever been to any of the Cars & Coffee get togethers?

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Are you another Salt Lake MZR goon? Have you ever been to any of the Cars & Coffee get togethers?

Nah, out here on vacation. I'm from Chicago.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

charliebravo77 posted:

I wouldn't say that it's a "gotta do it" thing, especially if you aren't able to hose everything down the same day, but if you're in the area (SLC or Wendover) for some reason it's tons of fun.

Goddamnit. I totally should've taken my rental car out there when I was in SLC a few years back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This Ultra Gauge is pretty awesome. I need to find a good place to mount though, wedging it in by the mirror won't work for me.