Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

fuckpot posted:

I see advertisements all the time for crappy health products like herbal flu remedies that claim they are proven in clinical tests to reduce the time you have the flu by 50%. That is just one specific example and I have seen many other similar claims made about equally dubious products. Are they exploiting some sort of technicality to claim that their product is clinically tested and works? I was thinking something along the lines of they got results from their product in a tightly controlled laboratory environment that has no bearing on what how the product would behave in real life.

I live in Australia and we have pretty tight advertising restrictions on health-related products here and they could never get away with outright lying.

The key is that they don't tell you any of the details about the clinical tests. If you saw how the research was done, you'd find that it started to look pretty dubious, and if you looked at other tests done independently you'd find that the results couldn't be verified or repeated, but unfortunately all they have to say is "We did a clinical trial and this was the result" and don't have to disclose any of the rest of the information.

So technically they're not lying outright, but they are giving a false impression by being very selective about what information they report.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Gravity Pike posted:

I seriously doubt that "legally considered 'human'" is even a concept. There are not many laws that revolve around "humans;" most tend to be about "persons" or "parties". It may not seem like an important distinction, but law is all about being pedantic, and very rarely concerns itself with matters of substance.
Don't abortion laws and restrictions at least somewhat depend on that concept? Also laws regarding injuring pregnant women leading to the death of the fetus.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

randyest posted:

Don't abortion laws and restrictions at least somewhat depend on that concept? Also laws regarding injuring pregnant women leading to the death of the fetus.

Those depend on how likely a fetus could live outside the uterus at the time of the abortion, which is when the fetus is at least 20 weeks in.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

randyest posted:

Also laws regarding injuring pregnant women leading to the death of the fetus.

Many of those laws are politically motivated and not necessarily accounting for medical or scientific views.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Those ads that say things like "Harvard scientists BAFFLED by [insert your town here] housewife's one weird trick to weightloss/teeth whitening/eternal youth." How are they getting around laws? I mean, could I take out an ad that says "Research at MIT shows that the world is flat " and be completely in the clear?

What laws are they breaking?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
There's truth in advertising laws, but I doubt the FTC has the capability to go after ever scummy internet advertiser.

edit:

fuckpot posted:

I see advertisements all the time for crappy health products like herbal flu remedies that claim they are proven in clinical tests to reduce the time you have the flu by 50%. That is just one specific example and I have seen many other similar claims made about equally dubious products. Are they exploiting some sort of technicality to claim that their product is clinically tested and works? I was thinking something along the lines of they got results from their product in a tightly controlled laboratory environment that has no bearing on what how the product would behave in real life.

I live in Australia and we have pretty tight advertising restrictions on health-related products here and they could never get away with outright lying.

As long as they include a disclaimer that the health claims weren't evaluated by the FDA (or something to that effect), the US government has pretty much no authority to regulate herbal medicine or supplements.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 15, 2012

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
I signed a contract to live with some people I found online, and since then, the landlord has decided to give the house to a different set of tenants and kick the existing ones out. I haven't moved in yet, but I have transferred a small part of the deposit online.

I'm in London. What are my rights here? I don't want to fight for the house or anything, and I'm not particularly hopeful about getting the deposit back, but should I try to get the signed contract back from the letting agent in case further down the line they somehow try to enforce it?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

marshmallard posted:

I signed a contract to live with some people I found online, and since then, the landlord has decided to give the house to a different set of tenants and kick the existing ones out. I haven't moved in yet, but I have transferred a small part of the deposit online.

I'm in London. What are my rights here? I don't want to fight for the house or anything, and I'm not particularly hopeful about getting the deposit back, but should I try to get the signed contract back from the letting agent in case further down the line they somehow try to enforce it?

IANAL and I've never lived in England but I would at least start by demanding the money AND the contract so as to hopefully receive 50% of what you're asking.

Tuff
Jul 15, 2012

by T. Mascis
Why hasn't anyone ever made a scent that's like unripe (green) walnuts? They smell really good, kind of like pine but less citrus. It's hard to describe.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

I'm trying to make hotel reservations for an upcoming trip but I don't really have a credit card. I just lost my debit card and there is no way I'll get a new one before I have to go. What are my options?

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Do you know which hotel you are going to be using? You might be able to contact them directly and explain your situation to them.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Wolfy posted:

I'm trying to make hotel reservations for an upcoming trip but I don't really have a credit card. I just lost my debit card and there is no way I'll get a new one before I have to go. What are my options?

You can try a prepaid gift card, but I'd ask if they take those before buying one.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Xandu posted:

There's truth in advertising laws, but I doubt the FTC has the capability to go after ever scummy internet advertiser.
I'm under the impression that the FTC shuts down dumb supplement scams crap pretty regularly, but the penalties aren't severe enough to deter them. The manufacturers just tweak the formula and sell it under a different name, often with the same advertisement and the new pill name dubbed in.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Wolfy posted:

Try contacting them and seeing if they'll accept a western union payment.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Wolfy posted:

This is one of many reasons why travel agents are still useful.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
When I turned on my car's AC this morning, some speck of dust blew into my eye. I haven't been able to get it out, can't even see it, but my eye is still irritated; maybe it caused a scratch or something, I don't know. My point is, I figure if it's not better by noon I'll call a doctor. For something like this, do I call my family doctor or my eye doctor? I already have eye problems so it's not like I only go there for new glasses, so I thought they might be the first point, but on the other hand, for something like this maybe family doctor? Just something I was wondering while I wait for the eye drops to hopefully push this thing out.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Golbez posted:

When I turned on my car's AC this morning, some speck of dust blew into my eye. I haven't been able to get it out, can't even see it, but my eye is still irritated; maybe it caused a scratch or something, I don't know. My point is, I figure if it's not better by noon I'll call a doctor. For something like this, do I call my family doctor or my eye doctor? I already have eye problems so it's not like I only go there for new glasses, so I thought they might be the first point, but on the other hand, for something like this maybe family doctor? Just something I was wondering while I wait for the eye drops to hopefully push this thing out.

You might be better off flushing it with water for a little while. If you have a shot glass handy you can fill that with water then put it over your eye, open your eye, and tilt your head back, letting the water flow in and out. Repeat until it's gone.

Go see a doctor soon if you can't get it out, though. You don't want a corneal abrasion that could possibly be infected with a bacterial or viral ulcer. I've had both of those a few times and boy is it painful.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
What film is that famous screenshot from, where all the billboards say things like OBEY and CONFORM?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

marshmallard posted:

What film is that famous screenshot from, where all the billboards say things like OBEY and CONFORM?
They Live.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Thank you :)

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Are the *.txt threads an SA thing, or is there more context to it? Where did it come from?

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
I know what an acronym is, but how about if you have a bunch of words, like obesity, breast cancer, rectal cancer, and type 2 diabetes. I made the "word" RBOT, almost like robot. Is that an acronym also?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

b0nes posted:

I know what an acronym is, but how about if you have a bunch of words, like obesity, breast cancer, rectal cancer, and type 2 diabetes. I made the "word" RBOT, almost like robot. Is that an acronym also?

If it's pronounced "are bee oh tee", then it's an initialism. If it's pronounced like "robot", it's an acronym. In either case, if it's used to remember those four things, it's also a mnemonic.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

b0nes posted:

The general rule is if it's pronounced as a word, it's an acronym. If you say the letters, it's an initialism. I think you can get away with calling them all acronyms now.

e: drat that's what I get for waiting at the post screen.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

buttopticor posted:

If it's pronounced "are bee oh tee", then it's an initialism. If it's pronounced like "robot", it's an acronym. In either case, if it's used to remember those four things, it's also a mnemonic.

Cool! I came up with this on my own, but it is nice to see there are official words for it. This poo poo has helped me so much in my college career it isn't even funny. I have a huge test today and Thursday and this is how I remember poo poo.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
I slept at a dodgy angle last night and now have an annoying ache going from my elbow to about half-way up my forearm, which is mostly a dull ache, but if I move my arm too fast or pick something heavy up, it becomes a sharp twinge.

Should I use deep heat or deep freeze on it?

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
There's an animated gif of Katy Perry wearing an American flag bikini, with spinning tassels and sparks shooting out of her nipples. Can someone help me find this?

Edit: Nevermind, found it. I was wrong about the fireworks bit, and the American flag, and apparently it's just a...caulking gun?

jackpot fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 16, 2012

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

jackpot posted:

There's an animated gif of Katy Perry wearing an American flag bikini, with spinning tassels and sparks shooting out of her nipples. Can someone help me find this?

Edit: Nevermind, found it. I was wrong about the fireworks bit, and the American flag, and apparently it's just a...caulking gun?

That's whipped cream.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Sometimes when I'm seated (such as on a chair) I'm not very comfortable, sometimes I get a sore bum or back. Not only that but also office chairs have small wheels which tend to dig into my rug and almost trap me at my desk as I can't get sufficient grip with my feet.

I was thinking is a wheelchair more comfortable that normal chairs, those disabled guys sometimes spend a lot of time on them so I expect they're comfy, and also the wheels are bigger than a normal office chair so it would solve my chair problems. Are wheelchairs actually more comfortable than office chairs or is that a television myth?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
The normal fold in half wheelchairs are not more comfortable than office chairs.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Crankit posted:

Sometimes when I'm seated (such as on a chair) I'm not very comfortable, sometimes I get a sore bum or back. Not only that but also office chairs have small wheels which tend to dig into my rug and almost trap me at my desk as I can't get sufficient grip with my feet.

I was thinking is a wheelchair more comfortable that normal chairs, those disabled guys sometimes spend a lot of time on them so I expect they're comfy, and also the wheels are bigger than a normal office chair so it would solve my chair problems. Are wheelchairs actually more comfortable than office chairs or is that a television myth?

Get one of those plastic mats for the floor, and get a better chair. Wheelchairs lack certain advantages, like swiveling and adjusting height.

Where did "television myth" come from? What TV show said wheelchairs were more comfortable than chairs?

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I think I saw it on Ironside, I'm not sure. It made sense to me at the time because it's leather stretched between to pieces of metal and I figured it'd be like a hammock for my arse.

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

It seems like a lot of people I know are really confused about how virus spreads on computers. I see many people spouting this and that and I need clarification.

1. If my computer is infected with a virus, can it affect my email(to start sending off spam)? If I'm using Gmail or an email client on my computer?

2. If my computer is infected with a virus, can it affect my website?

3. When a website is infected, is it because of my computer or was it because of some hackers who found a security hole in the website/server/hosting?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Video Games 0089 posted:

It seems like a lot of people I know are really confused about how virus spreads on computers. I see many people spouting this and that and I need clarification.

1. If my computer is infected with a virus, can it affect my email(to start sending off spam)? If I'm using Gmail or an email client on my computer?

2. If my computer is infected with a virus, can it affect my website?

3. When a website is infected, is it because of my computer or was it because of some hackers who found a security hole in the website/server/hosting?

1. Yes and yes.
2. Yes, but it would be rare unless you are hosting your website locally.
3. Conceivably either, most attacks would be through a security hole rather than a directly compromised account (e.g. keylogger).

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I'm moving into a house that has an uneven floor between the kitchen and dining room. What's the name of those thin tin strips that levels that poo poo out so I'm not tripping all the time?

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

At what distance are metal detectors functional? I'm talking about the kind old guys use at the beach, not the airport kind. Let's say for detecting a 5 lb mass of metal.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Is there a word that describes the difference in accuracy between something like 98.5% and 99.9995% accuracy? I feel like there's a specific word or phrase that describes the latter accuracy, but nothing's coming to mind and google isn't yielding anything helpful.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

tarepanda posted:

Is there a word that describes the difference in accuracy between something like 98.5% and 99.9995% accuracy? I feel like there's a specific word or phrase that describes the latter accuracy, but nothing's coming to mind and google isn't yielding anything helpful.

I wonder if you're thinking of statistical significance, which isn't what you're actually describing.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
margin of error?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhizoid
May 8, 2003

Takifugu!

Douche Bag posted:

I'm moving into a house that has an uneven floor between the kitchen and dining room. What's the name of those thin tin strips that levels that poo poo out so I'm not tripping all the time?

Thresholds?
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100185560/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=threshold&storeId=10051