Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.

Sagebrush posted:

Do you have the manual for your bike? The first thing you should do is go through the whole clutch adjustment procedure. Usually you set the actuator's rest point down near the actuator arm, then adjust the cable tension bolt at the clutch end to take up slack in the cable, then use the adjuster at the handlebar to ensure the clutch isn't slipping in normal riding and that you have an appropriate amount of lever travel. I don't know anything about the specific process or things to adjust on a CX500, though.

Your earlier description of the problem was a bit confusing. What, specifically, is wrong? You said you can roll it back and forth in neutral...if you put it in first gear and let go of the clutch, does the bike stay in one place? Can you push it around in first gear with the clutch held in?

My buddy walked me through a few adjustments, but I think I will take a look at the manual later on (I got wisdom teeth out yesterday so the painkillers aren't making me want to do any real work today).

Here are some shots of the clutch connection at the bottom (I'm rubbish with parts terminology :blush:):

Here is how it started.

I unscrewed the lower bolt and found a little thread nubbin' on the bottom:

And then I tightened the lower nut to the thread that the upper nut was on, and mounted the rubber acordion on the nubbin' on the bolt:

I now have a little bit of play in my clutch lever (as opposed to a lever with basically no play).

As for my problem, I was riding around, when suddenly I was revving, the tachs were climbing, but my bike just lost power (as in my MPH dropped). I would be in gear (at least I could hear the clunk), but the rear wheel wouldn't engage and I would just rev away and remain stationary. At this point I could let the clutch out in first with no throttle and my bike wouldn't stall out.

After I adjusted the clutch tension near the lever, I got it so my bike would go into gear, but it still had intermittent power loss as I babied it home.

I have yet to try the new clutch adjustments, but hopefully the back wheel will engage this time. I tested it a little bit in my parking spot, it stalls out in first (like it should) if I let the clutch out in first gear with no throttle, and it can be pushed in first with the clutch in. I have trouble pushing my bike around in neutral in general, but that's probably because the forks won't hold air for more than a day or so.

I really appreciate your guys' help, sorry I'm vague sometimes: it's not intentional; as I said above I'm generally just rubbish with exact mechanical terms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Crayvex posted:

I am intrigued. Can you recommend where to get them?

Most audiologists or hearing aid places will be able to do it, you'll have to search out your nearest one.

slidebite posted:

While custom fits are certainly fine, so are good foamies. I work in extreme noise environments everyday with nazi safety guys that love justifying their jobs, and they all use foamies just fine.

Only nitpick I might have with them is comfort. If you have a small ear canal they can be a bit uncomfortable when they expand. I don't have this problem, but Mrs. Slidebite does.

Oh don't get me wrong, good foamies do the job just as well as molds. But gently caress me it makes life so much easier just being able to stick them straight in your ear without having to worry about rolling them up just right and sliding them in your ear just right and then still having one pop out 5min down the road.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Happy medium:

They're cheap, but you can just jam 'em in your ear rather than rolling them up like foamies. The little tether doesn't get in the way, and is great for looping around the back of your neck when you stop. After stopping for lunch once, I thought, "Oh no, where are my earplugs?" They were dangling around my neck.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Safety Dance posted:

Happy medium:

Those are OK but I don't find them quite as effective IMHO... although truth be told they'd be fine on a bike I'm sure.

My foamies all have strings as well. :)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Safety Dance posted:

Happy medium:

They're cheap, but you can just jam 'em in your ear rather than rolling them up like foamies. The little tether doesn't get in the way, and is great for looping around the back of your neck when you stop. After stopping for lunch once, I thought, "Oh no, where are my earplugs?" They were dangling around my neck.

I use these aswell, the foam ones get cruddy really fast especially if you're too lazy to carry a case for them, you can run the christmas tree ones under a hot tap to clean them in between rides

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

echomadman posted:

I use these aswell, the foam ones get cruddy really fast especially if you're too lazy to carry a case for them, you can run the christmas tree ones under a hot tap to clean them in between rides

A hair dryer works exponentially better.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

slidebite posted:

My foamies all have strings as well. :)

You can tie or loop the string through the tag of your jacket (or race suit or whatever) so that you never lose them. I usually wear earbuds but now I have a spare set of plugs on my jackets at all times. I picked this tip up from briefly working in a cannery!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Oh don't get me wrong, good foamies do the job just as well as molds. But gently caress me it makes life so much easier just being able to stick them straight in your ear without having to worry about rolling them up just right and sliding them in your ear just right and then still having one pop out 5min down the road.

I am a total convert for these plugs. They're easy to roll up properly and take long enough to expand that you can get them all the way in the way you're supposed to. Very comfortable as well. I keep a case with two sets in my motorcycle jacket at all times.

I've never had one pop out, and I bet most people who have problems with foamies don't know how to use them right. It's important that they have no folds when you roll them, and you have to jam them as far into your ears as you can. You really shouldn't be able to see them when looking straight ahead in the mirror.

If they keep falling out when put in properly, you're buying the wrong size plugs.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I noticed a squeaking sound from my front axle area during left turns today. Is this something I can fix with pipe? Is this something I can fix myself, or should I head up to the dealership?

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Safety Dance posted:

I noticed a squeaking sound from my front axle area during left turns today. Is this something I can fix with pipe? Is this something I can fix myself, or should I head up to the dealership?

You can remove the axle a reapply grease pretty easily.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Any idea where I can locate AGIP Bike Grease, or will any old grease do?

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Safety Dance posted:

Any idea where I can locate AGIP Bike Grease, or will any old grease do?

Not any grease. I usually get whatever from the motorcycle shop that says it's for bikes but I always make sure it says water proof. That's always worked well for me but I'm sure someone will tell me I'm wrong.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
We got the R1150R set up with the remus y-pipe and Powercommander III USB, and started it up on the stock map. It was pretty hard to get it to fire and it was running a little unhappily so we didn't test ride it - this is normal right? The wife is concerned she messed something up when she installed it, but I am thinking the stock map for stock air filter is going to be plain ol' way too lean for the y-pipe and K&N air filter.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

clutchpuck posted:

We got the R1150R set up with the remus y-pipe and Powercommander III USB, and started it up on the stock map. It was pretty hard to get it to fire and it was running a little unhappily so we didn't test ride it - this is normal right? The wife is concerned she messed something up when she installed it, but I am thinking the stock map for stock air filter is going to be plain ol' way too lean for the y-pipe and K&N air filter.

Stock map with freer flowing exhaust and filter, you're definitely running lean. And those bikes are kinda known for being lean anyways, so you're like double extra lean. Go get it mapped, it'll be great.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
We have an appointment with a tuner on Wednesday evening, but it will be less of a pain to get there with a ride-able bike. I can't wait to see how it rides after getting done, that's for sure.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Has anyone taken the MSF with absolutely no experience whatsoever? My girlfriend wants to learn to ride, but she's never driven a manual car or motorcycle, though she has at least ridden a bicycle. How long to they spend teaching you clutch?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Has anyone taken the MSF with absolutely no experience whatsoever? My girlfriend wants to learn to ride, but she's never driven a manual car or motorcycle, though she has at least ridden a bicycle. How long to they spend teaching you clutch?

Me!

I took it before ever really sitting on a motorcycle. I do drive a manual, and know how to ride a bicycle, so I got that. But yes, that's what it's designed to do. Teach you as if you've never seen a motorcycle or a clutch.

Basically half of the first day is clutch control, YMMV though.

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jul 17, 2012

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

I learned how to ride a motorcycle without having learned to ride a motorcycle previously. Your girlfriend probably can too! :v:

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

SaNChEzZ posted:

Basically half of the first day is clutch control, YMMV though.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I learned how to ride a motorcycle without having learned to ride a motorcycle previously. Your girlfriend probably can too! :v:

Sweet, thanks guys. I basically had my dad talk me through it, throw me on an old '76 lowered yamaha standard bike, and figure it out on my own until I got it... when I was 14. It was pretty stressful. I thought the MSF guys would go over it a bit better than he did, but figured I'd ask.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

I had never really learned to drive a manual before learning to ride a motorcycle. Was pretty good on a bicycle though, I think that helped. They spend probably a total of about an hour teaching clutch related exercises. Have her read up on them first, understand what the friction zone is and all that. I didn't really get what the friction zone was initially (because I didn't really understand what a clutch did) and it made my life quite a bit harder.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

If you know anybody with a manual transmission in their car who is willing to let your gf play around with it, it would be worthwhile to spend a few hours learning in a car first. It's a bit more "comfortable" and she will understand the concept of a clutch a lot more. Will definitely take some of the fear out of it.

Just my $.02!

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I agree. I think knowing how to drive a standard made my life a lot easier when it came to learning the clutch on the bike.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

About two-thirds of my MSF class had never ridden a motorcycle, and about half to a third had never ridden a motorcycle nor used a standard transmission in a car. Everyone figured out how to start and stop pretty quickly and everyone passed.

As best I remember, this is what the first 3 hours or so of riding time were (repeat each exercise 10x or more):

1. Get on the bike, engine off, someone pushes you from behind, you coast down a slight hill and bring it to a stop with the brakes.
2. Someone pushes you from behind, you coast down a slight hill, turn 90 degrees, and stop. (repeat for both left and right turns).
3. With the engine off, you practice finding neutral by feel, going between 1st/2nd and 1st/N until you've learned the pattern.
3. You start the bike, put it in first, and practice finding the friction zone by letting out the clutch until the engine bogs and the bike starts to move. Don't ride away yet.
4. You start the bike, put it in first, and get the bike rolling forwards using only the clutch (no throttle). Roll up to the painted line, stop. Get moving again and roll to the next one, then stop, and the next, etc.
5. Same as (4) but go further, only stopping halfway across the parking lot, using throttle to accelerate.
6. Same as (5) but go the full length of the parking lot, shifting into second gear as you accelerate.

At that point everyone understood the basics of how to get the bike moving and they started adding turning and handling drills and countersteering and so on. As long as she's motivated and doesn't get easily discouraged, I don't think your girlfriend should have any problems.

cixelsyd
May 22, 2010

Z3n posted:

I didn't really get what the friction zone was initially (because I didn't really understand what a clutch did) and it made my life quite a bit harder.

Same for me. When someone finally explained to me why you need to increase the throttle a bit while releasing the clutch it made a lot more sense why the engine dies when you do not do that.

I had some problems on and off getting into first gear during my MSF training, but the guys there were really nice. I did it through the local Harley dealer, and they even told us we could retake the range part as many times as we wanted if we did not pass the exam at the end of the class. I thought that was pretty nice of them, but your mileage may vary.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

I was the only person in my class who hadn't even touched a clutch before the MSF. I was by far the worst person in my class but the instructors were pretty patient, even when I stalled it a bunch of times in a row. They kept saying "throttle and clutch like you're wringing a rag out" which helped, even though I didn't really understand how the friction zone worked.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Same here, although I had about two years of manual driving experience that I think helped a little.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Z3n posted:

Stock map with freer flowing exhaust and filter, you're definitely running lean. And those bikes are kinda known for being lean anyways, so you're like double extra lean. Go get it mapped, it'll be great.

Well, I added 5% across the map and it's rideable now so I don't have to leave work early to put it on my truck and meet the wife at the tuner, then go back and work late.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

XYLOPAGUS posted:

If you know anybody with a manual transmission in their car who is willing to let your gf play around with it, it would be worthwhile to spend a few hours learning in a car first. It's a bit more "comfortable" and she will understand the concept of a clutch a lot more. Will definitely take some of the fear out of it.

Just my $.02!

It definitely helps when you don't have to worry about falling over every time you stall it

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

I honestly don't think that I know anyone with a manual car aside from my boss (not going there). It sounds like she'll be fine.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
This is just a shot in the dark, but does anyone here have experience with Ducati Electronic Suspension?

I purchased a used 2010 multistrada 1200 s touring a few months ago. The suspension ECU was changed as part of a known issue when I bought it, but a few days later it started throwing a "DES REAR REBOUND" issue intermittently. I took it to the dealer and they of course couldn't find any history of the error code. I took it back three weeks later and they were able to reproduce the error code but have no idea what's wrong with it. They said they were going to call Ducati USA and see what the mother ship says to do. This was two weeks ago and no word yet The suspension seems to be working just fine but I'm afraid the only way I'll be able to prevent the code from re-appearing is by buying a new rear shock. And ohlins electrically adjustable suspension components aren't cheap.

The warranty expired between when I first took it in and the visit where they were able to re-create the error. Will see if it can get fixed under warranty.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's easier to learn how to use a clutch on a motorcycle than in a car anyway, because you don't have to worry about burning it out. Slip away, take thirty seconds to get it rolling, you won't hurt the bike. (don't try this on a Ducati)

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Sagebrush posted:

It's easier to learn how to use a clutch on a motorcycle than in a car anyway, because you don't have to worry about burning it out. Slip away, take thirty seconds to get it rolling, you won't hurt the bike. (don't try this on a Ducati)

Only a ducati 1000cc or more. 848 and below are wet clutch, at least all the current models.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The Multi 1200 has a wet clutch, too.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

front wing flexing posted:

Only a ducati 1000cc or more. 848 and below are wet clutch, at least all the current models.

1199 has a wet clutch now too.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

MrZig posted:

1199 has a wet clutch now too.

Dang. That's better though, I think anyway. I know they say you get a little more power to the wheels with the dry clutch (don't know if that's true or not) but the better control with a wet clutch seems worth it to me.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?
Yo, so I just ordered a new chain and sprocket for my bike but the company shipped me a rivet type master link instead of the clip type that I asked for. I'm too impatient to send it back and wait for them to correct their mistake. So I installed the chain (had to shorten it by 8 links) and I used my chain breaker too to must the new master link into place but I was wondering if I can rivet/flare out the ends of it without having to buy a rivet tool? Any tips or tricks to doing this without giving motion pro money.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
If your riding experience is non-existent to the point that you're learning how to work the clutch a Ducati literbike should probably be off-limits anyway

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

front wing flexing posted:

Dang. That's better though, I think anyway. I know they say you get a little more power to the wheels with the dry clutch (don't know if that's true or not) but the better control with a wet clutch seems worth it to me.

I'm not sure there would be that much difference in power. The reason that was always given to me for dry clutches was for faster replacement while racing (you don't have to deal with draining the oil, spilling it, refilling it, etc).

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

KodiakRS posted:

This is just a shot in the dark, but does anyone here have experience with Ducati Electronic Suspension?

I purchased a used 2010 multistrada 1200 s touring a few months ago. The suspension ECU was changed as part of a known issue when I bought it, but a few days later it started throwing a "DES REAR REBOUND" issue intermittently. I took it to the dealer and they of course couldn't find any history of the error code. I took it back three weeks later and they were able to reproduce the error code but have no idea what's wrong with it. They said they were going to call Ducati USA and see what the mother ship says to do. This was two weeks ago and no word yet The suspension seems to be working just fine but I'm afraid the only way I'll be able to prevent the code from re-appearing is by buying a new rear shock. And ohlins electrically adjustable suspension components aren't cheap.

The warranty expired between when I first took it in and the visit where they were able to re-create the error. Will see if it can get fixed under warranty.

Keep us updated on how this turns out...Hopefully you can get it covered under warranty.

HNasty posted:

Yo, so I just ordered a new chain and sprocket for my bike but the company shipped me a rivet type master link instead of the clip type that I asked for. I'm too impatient to send it back and wait for them to correct their mistake. So I installed the chain (had to shorten it by 8 links) and I used my chain breaker too to must the new master link into place but I was wondering if I can rivet/flare out the ends of it without having to buy a rivet tool? Any tips or tricks to doing this without giving motion pro money.

If your chain breaker doesn't have an attachment/pin to flare the rivet, you can place something behind the chain and flare it with a punch. Don't overdo it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

HNasty posted:

You can pick up a clip style master link from a shop that is the same brand pretty often.