Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's a French word for the underclass of workers who fill the jobs that their social betters have abandoned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

ZeeBoi posted:

Ugh. This should have all stopped at the first movie. Even with the American remake.
Does this movie take place in a septic tank? What a genius decision to tone down all the blood spatter so it looks like the character is covered in poo poo.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

ZeeBoi posted:

Ugh. This should have all stopped at the first movie. Even with the American remake.

Nothing gets by an Orec(k)

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Professor Clumsy posted:

Bloeugrancey sounds so much like it should be a real word.

I could see it as a french word. Maybe pronounced "Bloosh".

Makes as much sense as coiffure (kwoff).

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

AndyElusive posted:

This is the first Bourne movie poster I've seen that I actually really like...

The fact you don't need to have a solid foundation in typography anymore to have a design career continues to infuriate me.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

ZeeBoi posted:

Looks like a sequel to The Loved Ones.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Stare-Out posted:

Does this movie take place in a septic tank? What a genius decision to tone down all the blood spatter so it looks like the character is covered in poo poo.

Isn't there some kinda regulation on how much blood you can show in a trailer/poster? The trailer to for Kill Bill had to color the blood spatter on the Bride black in order to show it.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Alhazred posted:

Isn't there some kinda regulation on how much blood you can show in a trailer/poster? The trailer to for Kill Bill had to color the blood spatter on the Bride black in order to show it.
Yeah, there is. Many trailers color all blood black, but when the alternative is poo poo stains I don't know if having any blood there is a good idea.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Stare-Out posted:

Yeah, there is. Many trailers color all blood black, but when the alternative is poo poo stains I don't know if having any blood there is a good idea.

From what I've seen a lot of it takes place in a sewer, so at least they're honest about the film.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Jefferoo posted:

The fact you don't need to have a solid foundation in typography anymore to have a design career continues to infuriate me.

This poo poo is starting to aggravate me every time I look at it.

loving two minutes, Universal. Two minutes.

Edit: Jesus, I just saw the little dude jumping down. This was made by the same design team who did that "Burj Khalifa as a lit fuze" for Mission Impossible 4, wasn't it?

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 17, 2012

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

Young Freud posted:

This is a million times better.

tmfool
Dec 9, 2003

What the frak?

tmfool fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 20, 2021

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I kind of like some of those but the more minimalist posters I see the more I start to think they're trying to hard to be overly clever and end up kind of boring. Also far too in-jokey.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Young Freud posted:

...and just like that I'm back to enjoying this poster again.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yodzilla posted:

I kind of like some of those but the more minimalist posters I see the more I start to think they're trying to hard to be overly clever and end up kind of boring. Also far too in-jokey.

Same here. Some are just ridiculous. I can't tell if I love or hate this one

The one for Heat I'm sure is the worst.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I knew that was Sunshine before I saw the title. I like that one.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I don't know, the ones for Empire Strikes Back, Ghostbusters, Aliens, and There Will Be Blood are all too in-jokey to be really effective.

Actually, the few of Owen's posters that I think were truly effective are few and far between.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Heat, the epic Los Angeles drama about a showdown between two ping-pong players... or frying pans...

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Tears In A Vial posted:

I imagine the names of the pubs foreshadow events in the movie, much as the speech in Shaun of the Dead did.

I'm sorry about dragging this up from a few pages (and days) ago, but I haven't got this movie handy over here so I'd like to know; what speech and what does it foreshadow? I can't remember any especially big speeches in the movie near the start.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I think he means the pick up speech Ed gives Shaun that ends "least it's not the end of the world" right as a zombie knocks on the door.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Nilbop posted:

I'm sorry about dragging this up from a few pages (and days) ago, but I haven't got this movie handy over here so I'd like to know; what speech and what does it foreshadow? I can't remember any especially big speeches in the movie near the start.

I'm pretty sure it's Ed's speech to a distraught Shaun at the beginning, where he lists all the fun things they're going to do to cheer him up. Basically, it's a rough outline of all the places they go and things they do throughout the movie itself.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

tmfool posted:

The guy who did it is another fan that hopped on the minimal movie poster train, but somehow managed to luck out and get real gigs. Here's his site. http://www.imagekind.com/MemberProfile.aspx?MID=3a3b674d-8c7a-44dd-8e59-350257052923

Some of these are good, but seeing all of them right next to each other makes it to easy to see that this guy has a template. Take "iconic" image from the movie, place at 3/5 up the page, put title of movie in small font at the bottom, repeat. Some are different, but way too many follow that model.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
I can't stand the minimalist poster thing simply because everyone goes to great lengths to put as little as possible on the poster, yet they all for some reason also need to cover it with filters to make it look grungy or stained or folded. I absolutely hate the whole, "Check out my grindhouse poster which I created digitally. You can tell it's a grindhouse poster from the fold marks I added in photoshop" thing.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
Let's make a 150 tall painting of a lovely poster, shall we??

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2012/07/this-is-how-you-paint-a-150-foot-tall-batman

The painting itself is awesome and drat impressive, I just can't stand the poster.

Also this is the same building that had the KICK rear end Inception mural a few years ago:

Rick Sanchez fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 17, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Why is Batman's crotch censored?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

It's like staring into the rear end of Pluto.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Moving the type to make it "correct" removes all tension from the Bourne poster and makes it really boring and too-simple. The type is placed that way for a reason and I like it.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...
I hope that The Bloeurgrancey is actually something in the film and it's trying to get us talking about it early.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Somebody went wild with the airbrush.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Vagabundo posted:

I'm imagining all these posters taking place in the same room, meaning this is a film about a gang of clone hoodlums in Prohibition times. And BOY, has Nolte filled out since Warrior.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Cacator posted:

Heat, the epic Los Angeles drama about a showdown between two ping-pong players... or frying pans...

Yeah, because you know what I think of Heat, I don't think of the coffee house scene, since De Niro and Pacino have acted together in other films now that whole "two acting greats together ACTING" aspect has lost its importance.

No, when I think of Heat, I think of the big bank robbery shootout scene.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL9fnVtz_lc
You know, the one that actually inspired a real life crime, as well the atmosphere of :nolan:'s The Dark Knight.

Edit:

Vagabundo posted:

I do like how each frame of the poster is connected to the one following, with the subject being in the background of the one preceding it. The only one that doesn't work is Penn's and Nolte's, that's because there's no Nolte poster.

Is it me or is there a lot of gangster movies coming out? It's kinda weird that a bunch of cyberpunk movies are coming out as well. Sigh of the times.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 18, 2012

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Vagabundo posted:

You know what's really fun? Go through these and see if you can ascertain who has a reasonable publicist and who has a terrible, retarded bitch of a publicist.

I'm not real excited by what you guys are going to think of the one-sheet, either.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

kiimo posted:

You know what's really fun? Go through these and see if you can ascertain who has a reasonable publicist and who has a terrible, retarded bitch of a publicist.

I'm not real excited by what you guys are going to think of the one-sheet, either.

Is the implication that the jerk publicists insist on greater coverage of their actors in the poster, so they end up getting overexposed on the poster even when it looks dumb, or it's not commensurate to their presence in the film? (This is probably a dumb question, but I'm a dumb person and am interested to know what the answer is.)

Virgin
Oct 18, 2002
Sex? Feh. Overrated. Let's talk MTG.
My guess is Emma Stone has the bitch of a publicist

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

I can't stand the minimalist poster thing simply because everyone goes to great lengths to put as little as possible on the poster, yet they all for some reason also need to cover it with filters to make it look grungy or stained or folded. I absolutely hate the whole, "Check out my grindhouse poster which I created digitally. You can tell it's a grindhouse poster from the fold marks I added in photoshop" thing.

Honestly I take a bit of an issue with fanmade minimalist posters and sometimes poo poo like Mondo going on sale since a lot of it is someone profiting off of someone else's IP without their permission, and that isn't really that cool. Yes a lot of film posters nowadays are bad, but it's been that way since the beginning of time.

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

Vagabundo posted:

The title seems to stand out too much. I just find it a little distracting. I love Emma Stone's pose, though. :allears:

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Jefferoo posted:

Honestly I take a bit of an issue with fanmade minimalist posters and sometimes poo poo like Mondo going on sale since a lot of it is someone profiting off of someone else's IP without their permission, and that isn't really that cool. Yes a lot of film posters nowadays are bad, but it's been that way since the beginning of time.

Pretty sure Mondo has always gotten permission to make their posters. There's a reason the company now has its posters being archived by the Academy.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

Vagabundo posted:

Replace the names with "Play Movie", "Select Scene" etc. and it could be the DVD menu

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

Ez posted:

Replace the names with "Play Movie", "Select Scene" etc. and it could be the DVD menu

Totally! Oh, and don't forget the 30 second music loop. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Hewlett posted:

Is the implication that the jerk publicists insist on greater coverage of their actors in the poster, so they end up getting overexposed on the poster even when it looks dumb, or it's not commensurate to their presence in the film? (This is probably a dumb question, but I'm a dumb person and am interested to know what the answer is.)

Eh sort of, the more you tweak it to hide perceived and usually stupid flaws the more it looks airbrushed like was mentioned. This is how you create the effect, just tweaking and tweaking until all the little wrinkles and hairs and moles and other things that make skin look human get stamped and layered and filtered and smoothed and adjusted until you essentially have the equivalent of a painting. That's why you get a guy like Josh Brolin, who couldn't give a gently caress less what people think about his skin, with a reasonable resemblance.

In addition to this, it is meant to be really large, viewed in theaters, not computer screens.

Virgin posted:

My guess is Emma Stone has the bitch of a publicist

You would think right?

Nope. But I'll say she sounds like one of the white chicks on The Help on the phone which was infuriating and had us do changes to this last Wednesday until 1 in the morning the day before it was supposed to debut at Comic-Con even though they've had it since June.