Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

ynohtna posted:

What do you folks think of this version of the Creature From The Black Lagoon poster?

I like it's colouring, particularly how the tomato red of the logo is repeated in the merman's eyes, the ambiguously inviting pose Kay is giving his covetous gaze, and avoidance of modern design gimmickry.

I love it. Any idea if prints are being sold?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Jasta posted:

I love it. Any idea if prints are being sold?

It sadly looks to be an incredibly limited edition: http://collider.com/mondos-creature-from-the-black-lagoon-poster/179797/

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Tuff posted:

Haven't you ever seen Batman: The Animated Series dude?

Yeah, and it doesn't look like that image either. Animated series was much more stylized.

Even then, it's a totally different version of the story. If I put a pop-art image of Adam West on a poster and called it The Dark Knight Rises, it'd be just as inappropriate - even if I were to hide the lil' rectangular logo in it somewhere.

ynohtna posted:

What do you folks think of this version of the Creature From The Black Lagoon poster?

This, on the other hand, rules. The only flaw is that it adds the second, smaller image of the creature - deflating the sense that he embodies the swamp itself.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
Continuing the tradition, here's a fanmade Drive poster.

I wish someone would put a book of all these awful Drive fan-posters together.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Jefferoo posted:

Can't say I'm a huge fan of the Weinstein Company subliminal messaging.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Jefferoo posted:

Why do I feel like I'm playing a terrible flash game?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

It's been a while since I've seen such an obvious use of render->clouds. That Drive poster is a cluster gently caress of 10 year old Photoshop texture tutorials.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I like to read that as literal. Like the guy is parked on a red tarp in his poo poo-stained car, preparing to run down the nuclear tinfoil disc. I mean, there's not really any other way to read it.

Alternate:
A guy positions his car vertically against a brick wall, in the hopes that he can drive upwards to the moon. The moon is stitched to the flat sky and firing yellow lasers at him, commanding him to 'Drive.'

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 15, 2012

Tuff
Jul 15, 2012

by T. Mascis

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I like to read that as literal. Like the guy is parked on a red tarp in his poo poo-stained car, preparing to run down the nuclear tinfoil disc. I mean, there's not really any other way to read it.

Alternate:
A guy positions his car vertically against a brick wall, in the hopes that he can drive upwards to the moon. The moon is stitched to the flat sky and firing yellow lasers at him, commanding him to 'Drive.'

hahahahahahaha oh god

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Alternate:

This makes more sense than asking people to believe that he just happened to find the world's largest manhole cover. I also like that the scorpion logo (now purple for some reason) is on the hood of his car, as if he is a literal superhero, and the jacket is his outfit.

EDIT: VVVV That's what I figured anyway. I don't know why it's silver, or there's weird stitching. But it's in the middle of a road and it's circular, which makes me think it's supposed to be a manhole, lovely as it is.

Hewlett fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 16, 2012

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Hewlett posted:

...the world's largest manhole cover.

That's what that thing is supposed to be?

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Jefferoo posted:

Oh my god, until someone pointed out the bottom thing is his car I thought it was supposed to be a godawful lighter with built-in flashlights. :psyduck:

I also love the absolutely gaudy grain texture behind Gosling and Mulligan's names.

The Drive posters were very good. Why do people have to make more? The only acceptable one I've seen was that one that got made into a faux-VHS tape cover.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Suzuki Method posted:

The Drive posters were very good. Why do people have to make more? The only acceptable one I've seen was that one that got made into a faux-VHS tape cover.

I would buy the gently caress out of a VHS copy of Drive just because.

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

poo poo. Thanks, though. It's such a cool poster. I love the colouring of it as much as I love the art.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

Suzuki Method posted:

Whatever you do, don't visit the Drive Fan Poster Gallery on Facebook.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

"A NICHOLAS WINDING REFN MOVIE"

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Drive has to be a close second to Rorschach at this point for "Most Missed Point."

Vagabundo posted:

Seriously though, I'm not even angry. Anyway, it's pretty stupid to suggest that bringing up an NFL team in the marketing of the film will be any way damaging to the international campaign at all. No one outside of the US cares about football, or even cares enough about it, nor will it have any significant impact either way on the likely box office.
If there's one non-cinematic thing that reading CD has taught me, it's that Americans have a tendency to vastly overestimate how many shits - positive or negative - the rest of the world gives about American Things.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

An actually talented artist could run with this concept and make something pretty fantastic.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

An actually talented artist could run with this concept and make something pretty fantastic.

Perhaps, but my meme infected brain can only parse that poster as "Hammer Time!". I don't know if that's fitting or not.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Hewlett posted:

"A NICHOLAS WINDING REFN MOVIE"

No, no, no. Not even that.

A DRIVE: NICOLAS WINDING REFN MOVIE

I guess this must be what Alan Moore feels like about Rorschach, or how Sting feels about playing that Every Move You Make song at weddings. Drive has gotta be my favourite film, but the combination of awful posters and insufferable nerds who miss the entire point of the film fill me with :argh:

Suzuki Method fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jul 16, 2012

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Suzuki Method posted:

how Sting feels about playing that Every Move You Make song at weddings.
Oh for gently caress's sake, really? God drat people are idiots.

Fake edit:

Sting posted:

One couple told me 'Oh we love that song; it was the main song played at our wedding!' I thought, 'Well, good luck.'

keet
Aug 20, 2005

Gonz posted:

It involves much of the Earth being destroyed after super-gigantic Lovecraft-esque monsters rise out of the sea; humanity fights back with equally large robot mechs.

Directed by Del Toro.

I will definitely see this.

Aren't shades of Mouth of Madness / Evangelion development hell movies dripped into this, apparently?

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

penguinmambo posted:

Aren't shades of Mouth of Madness / Evangelion development hell movies dripped into this, apparently?

I wouldn't think so. As far as I know Pacific Rim was a "package" Del Toro had on the backburner just in case. And Evangelion was developed at WETA while this will have the majority of the work done at ILM.

Trump fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 16, 2012

keet
Aug 20, 2005

Jefferoo posted:

I found an acceptable Dark Knight Rises poster.

It may go without saying but the plus to this is it really reminds me of the Dark Deco style the old Batman cartoon did. Maybe not the animation, but it could be a title card for an episode.

keet fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jul 16, 2012

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

It reminds me over the Mask of The Phantasm poster for no particular reason other than the obvious. I remember this poster always gave me the creeps when I would see the movie sitting on a shelf at the local video rental place.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
I can't at all get excited about that tagline. I think it's the period that does it for me. I wonder if that was intended...

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Ugh. This should have all stopped at the first movie. Even with the American remake.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

This is the first Bourne movie poster I've seen that I actually really like...

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The first REC was incredible. The second? Meh. A third REC movie?!? That's one REC movie too many.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

AndyElusive posted:

This summer, Jeremy Renner sets his sights on MICHIGAN!

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

AndyElusive posted:

The Bloeugrancey?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

AndyElusive posted:

The Bloeugrancey.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Great, now I can't unsee Bloeugrancey.

Poster RUINED.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I want to see a trailer cut in a style remniscent of Dr. Strangelove or The Prisoner.

Cards with bold text flash briefly, intercut with confusing footage:

WHAT

IS

THE

TERRIBLE

SECRET

BEHIND

THE BLOEUGRANCEY

??

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's only half way for me. "Bourne" for whatever reason (probably being on top) stands out fine for me, but it jumbles after that. It looks like Bourne Legrancey.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I do like the poster, but I'm not gonig to be able to think of the movie as anything but The Bloeugrancey now.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...
Bloeugrancey sounds so much like it should be a real word.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Professor Clumsy posted:

I actually googled it before I made my post just in case it was some reference to something actually in the movie.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Professor Clumsy posted:

Its only use would be for people to describe a piece of music as "bluegrass" despite not knowing anything about bluegrass (or pretending not to in order to remain 'cool').

"It's kinda bloeugrancey."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Professor Clumsy posted:

A kind of blue-green hybrid colour, or is that too obvious?

Apropos of nothing remember that "eleemosynary" is a word.