Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Jasta posted:

The title seems to stand out too much. I just find it a little distracting. I love Emma Stone's pose, though. :allears:

Posing? She's standing up straight doing nothing in front of the camera. :haw:

That would work really well, like Ez said, as the DVD menu. Besides the fact they all look like melting wax it's a pretty stylish poster.

VV It's okay dude. Everyone likes Emma Stone's face. VV

Suzuki Method fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

Suzuki Method posted:

That would work really well, like Ez said, as the DVD menu. Besides the fact they all look like melting wax it's a pretty stylish poster.

Ok, ok, well her face... I like her face! You happy now?! :xd:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

kiimo posted:

You would think right?

Nope.

I'm going to say either Penn or Nolte, considering he's on the poster. In Stone's portion, Penn's almost unrecognizable. I had to look at the others to see that there was a motif going on.

And Nolte is just small, in the background, and also completely unrecognizable. I had to look at the poster again when someone was talking about him just to see if he was on it.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Seriously, I've seen Heat more times than I can count and I have no idea what the gently caress this is supposed to be:

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Context-less, the title "Heat" and the presence of two apparent frying pans makes me think it's a strange, concert movie-esque version of Iron Chef.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Cacator posted:

Seriously, I've seen Heat more times than I can count and I have no idea what the gently caress this is supposed to be:

The scene where the two main characters and big actors have coffee together? Those being their cups of coffee? I haven't even see the movie and I know what those were instantly (it's still dumb)

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Oh I thought it was two dudes going back to back with guns...for some reason.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Yeah, wasn't that the scene where they were talking about if you can't walk away from your entire life in the blink of an eye, then don't do the job?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

piratepilates posted:

The scene where the two main characters and big actors have coffee together? Those being their cups of coffee? I haven't even see the movie and I know what those were instantly (it's still dumb)

That's the most sensible explanation I suppose, but it's funny, because in that scene the coffee cups are obscured by other stuff on the table and they never actually drink. It's a really, really lovely idea.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
When exactly did fan posters mean taking some obscure part of the film and making that the point of the poster?

For Heat, you might as well have a broken TV be the focus of the poster, with a car peeling out in the background. Or Jaws, and make the poster just a closeup of an ugly swimming cap. Or Mad Max, with the poster focusing on a boomerang. Etc etc etc etc etc etc etc........

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

When exactly did fan posters mean taking some obscure part of the film and making that the point of the poster?

For Heat, you might as well have a broken TV be the focus of the poster, with a car peeling out in the background. Or Jaws, and make the poster just a closeup of an ugly swimming cap. Or Mad Max, with the poster focusing on a boomerang. Etc etc etc etc etc etc etc........

Far as I can tell, it's a weird, maddening way of circle-jerking the in-group (the aforementioned fans) who have already seen the movie. It's not meant to advertise the movie to get people to see it, it's just to celebrate some obscure-yet-oddly-iconic image embedded deeply in the film, so that film nerds who see the poster at a party will go "Oh, I remember this, other people don't, and that means this is COOL!"

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Hewlett posted:

.... will go "Oh, I remember this, other people don't, and that means this is COOL!"

This, this is it. This is the best summary of fandom I've ever read.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Hewlett posted:

Far as I can tell, it's a weird, maddening way of circle-jerking the in-group (the aforementioned fans) who have already seen the movie. It's not meant to advertise the movie to get people to see it, it's just to celebrate some obscure-yet-oddly-iconic image embedded deeply in the film, so that film nerds who see the poster at a party will go "Oh, I remember this, other people don't, and that means this is COOL!"

This is exactly it and it is shameful I hate it and I want it to end.

The one for A Clockwork Orange is just bizarre, it's just an eye made out of a clock which I guess is relevant to the movie but in such an unappealing way.

The There Will be Blood one is so much the worst, there is so much cool icons they could have used (they could have just used the hardcover version of the book cover) but they use such a dumb in joke that even when you've seen the movie the poster leaves no impression on you.

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jul 18, 2012

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

For Heat, you might as well have a broken TV be the focus of the poster, with a car peeling out in the background.

Not obscure enough. Go with a map of New Zealand.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jul 18, 2012

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Vagabundo posted:

Not obscure enough. Go with a map of New Zealand.

I was going to say a Hank Azaria's head going up an cartoon rear end.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

It should be an electric stove range, because the movie is called Heat you see

tmfool
Dec 9, 2003

What the frak?

tmfool fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 3, 2015

Icon-Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Meow!

Paul Allen posted:

Let's make a 150 tall painting of a lovely poster, shall we??

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2012/07/this-is-how-you-paint-a-150-foot-tall-batman

The painting itself is awesome and drat impressive, I just can't stand the poster.

Also this is the same building that had the KICK rear end Inception mural a few years ago:

I pass that place all the time.

My favorite was when they had that beautiful Lady in the Water poster up.

My least favorite was the "Arthur" remake. Paintings of smug-rear end Russell Brand should not be that tall.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Jesus, It's a painting? I thought they just got a poo poo ton of sticky poo poo and posted it on there. That's...a lot of goddamn work.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I think it just comes down to a cost issue. Even with custom giant vinyl printings, you'd need a ton of them to cover the side of the building and it would cost a fortune. Large-format painters I'm sure command a decent sum as well, but probably just a fraction of a what the multiple printings to make up that size would.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

piratepilates posted:

Yeah, I thought it was clear as day what that was supposed to be. Perhaps not having seen the movie actually helps?

It's still dumb though.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I want to see that Gangster Squad movie because of Giovani Ribisi and Robert Patrick.

I may not be the target demographic for the movie.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Suzuki Method posted:

Gosling strikes me as the one who was over-Photoshopped. Which is weird because he's not exactly an ugly man to start with, he shouldn't need too much work.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Maxwell Lord posted:

Gosling strikes me as the one who was over-Photoshopped. Which is weird because he's not exactly an ugly man to start with, he shouldn't need too much work.

One would think, one would think.

Suzuki Method posted:

Emma Stone's photoshoot was fantastic. She's very photogenic. Like, every pic was one-sheet-worthy. She looked pretty, coy, sweet and alluring in like every shot. Wish I could share them.

Handsome Dead
May 21, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

MrBling posted:

I want to see that Gangster Squad movie because of Giovani Ribisi and Robert Patrick.

I may not be the target demographic for the movie.

Kind of like how I was only interested in The Dark Knight for Eric Roberts and William Fichtner. Gangster Squad has a great cast, but Robert Patrick being in a role worthy enough of being on the poster is the thing hat makes me excited.

Handsome Dead fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 18, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I think Nick Nolte sold me on Gangster Squad. That and Sean Penn wearing Jimmy Durante makeup.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
After Breakfast of Champions, I'll watch anything with Nick Nolte.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I know theres a bunch of Olly Moss/Mondo poster fans here, so I wanted to make sure everyone knew that they are (finally) doing a timed poster release, so everyone that wants to buy one of these has a chance.

It's $40, and you have until midnight EST tonight to order one. As an added incentive, one lucky buyer gets a "golden ticket" inserted with their order, which gives you the ability to commission Olly Moss to design you a poster of anything you want. :allears: It's too bad I don't care much for the movie or poster, otherwise I'd be all over it just for that chance.

Go here to buy: http://www.mondotees.com/The_Dark_Knight_Rises_p_535.html

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

kiimo posted:

Then it's got to be my first guess that Sean Penn has the insufferable jerk of a publicist because he is one as well.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

demolina posted:

Then it's got to be my first guess that Sean Penn has the insufferable jerk of a publicist because he is one as well.

Then again, by kiimo's metric, he would have a great publicist because he looks a little more human/less photoshopped. I'd have to guess Gosling or maybe Nolte.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

That's assuming in a film like this that Nolte gets likeness approval. That is usually reserved for stars. It is one of the biggest popularity contests in the legal process. Some will get more passes than others too. Like so and so gets likeness approval at 3 passes because they're huge at the moment. They have complete control of their likeness or brand. (think Johnny Depp, although he actually doesn't use them because he's super cool)

Often actors and publicists and even agents who help set up the deals think they have likeness approval when they don't. We'll try to help out when we can if they don't like their image but it's pretty funny when at the very last second they call up to yell at us to change everything and you get to say, hey sending that to you was a courtesy but...sorry. Be more famous I guess.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
The Heat diner scene is pretty iconic, so using it for the poster isn't a bad idea at all. Boiling Heat down to a gun fight almost sells the movie short. The problem with that poster is that's a terrible design. They look nothing like coffee cups unless you already know they are. A more traditional design utilizing the same scene would work really well.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

lessthankyle posted:

The Heat diner scene is pretty iconic, so using it for the poster isn't a bad idea at all. Boiling Heat down to a gun fight almost sells the movie short. The problem with that poster is that's a terrible design. They look nothing like coffee cups unless you already know they are. A more traditional design utilizing the same scene would work really well.

I thought they were stove knobs. They are the same knob in design, but they are facing opposite directions. Therefore, the poster is deep and meaningful. Also, something about heat.

Past Tense Ragu
Oct 17, 2005

kiimo posted:

Emma Stone's photoshoot was fantastic. She's very photogenic. Like, every pic was one-sheet-worthy. She looked pretty, coy, sweet and alluring in like every shot. Wish I could share them.

Hey, I think the whole poster is pretty great. The airbrushing makes it look more like a poster of the era it's set in, which was arguably even more deceptive in its advertising. They would just paint the actors from scratch.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Paul Allen posted:

Also this is the same building that had the KICK rear end Inception mural a few years ago:

Should have just cut their losses on the tiny unreadable text above the title and left the building the same color instead of redoing the whole side grey.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

lessthankyle posted:

What? How do they look nothing like coffee cups? There have already been two people who saw them as coffee cups right away, without having seen the movie. I being one of them.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

ahahahaha holy poo poo

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Dutch poster for Expendables 2. Is English widely spoken in the Netherlands?

Also two more from The Campaign

The books turned around on the desk is a particularly nice touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

All that's missing is the sandwich.