Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Vetitum posted:

He works for MI6

I thought he worked for Mossad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

You also have to remember that Syria is one of the few countries that still buys arms from Russia. Many of its former buyers now buy from American, European, or Chinese arms manufacturers.

Really, the Russians should have seen the writing on the wall months ago and played both sides like Clinton did with Egypt.

Vetitum
Feb 29, 2008

Still no luck in tracking down that stream AJ is using, it must be out there somewhere because about an hour ago some controller at AJ hosed up and alt tabbed to his twitter feed while they were live streaming on international TV.

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

The Guardian liveblog is blowing up with reports of defections. If even half of this is true, we are definitely in the endgame now.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Chamale posted:

Russia's foreign minister says supporting the opposition is a dead end. Russia seems to be on the wrong side of all these middle east revolutions - is that because the uprisings are mostly happening in areas with Russian oil interests, Americans preventing uprisings in territory they control, or what?

First of all Russia is still bitter about being 'cheated' in Libya, as in their mind the NATO air campaign was not what they had approved in Security Council. Secondly even if Assad falls, Iran will still be there, and Iran and Syria have been allies for decades now. Third, Russia has never been a fan of western military interventions anywhere, from Yugoslavian wars to war in Afghanistan. They just don't believe in this world police business, at all, ever, period.*

*unless they get to be the cops - eg. Ossetian war.

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012

Brown Moses posted:

I wanted to avoid spamming this thread with news of defections, especially as they are hard to confirm, but for example there's 60 special forces apparently defected in Damascus, and 120 tanks defected outside of Damascus, according to reports, plus plenty more.
So I'm reading all these defection news, if these are true then the defection are massive country-wide. It can't possibly just happen suddenly and spontaneously just because there's a bomb attack and battle in Damascus, right?

Un-l337-Pork posted:

He means a direct link to the choppy video Damascus they are showing on AJ.
Gah, sorry, I think it's in Bambuser. Try this:
http://bambuser.com/v/2836913
http://bambuser.com/v/2836864

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Russia seems to have an inability to understand that if they side with the FSA they can keep their Tartous station. They must know full well by now that siding with Assad means that when he is ousted, the new government will remove the Russians as a punitive measure for enabling the massacres. Russia's cold war thinking is letting them down big time.

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

Young Freud posted:

Really, the Russians should have seen the writing on the wall months ago and played both sides like Clinton did with Egypt.

Yea, I'm really surprised that they didn't start doing this a few weeks ago. The only rationalization for the Russian position (loyalty to Assad) that I can think of is that Russia must be disliked by the rebels (or maybe just the non-Alawites)? Thus, they expect that Assad being overthrown would result in them losing much of their control/influence.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

I don't think Russia really has much other choice, considering they have their own protests and dissent at home. Supporting a pro-democracy/human rights movement in one country while suppressing their own is hypocritical, and it really stinks. gently caress Putin.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Section 31 posted:

So I'm reading all these defection news, if these are true then the defection are massive country-wide. It can't possibly just happen suddenly and spontaneously just because there's a bomb attack and battle in Damascus, right?

If you think Assad's regime is on the verge of collapse, you don't want to get caught on the wrong side in the endgame. As for why people would think it's the endgame? All the constant reports of defections is a part. :v: It's a vicious cycle. Even if the defections are 50% false, the number of reports, fake along with real, add to the momentum for more to happen.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Russia seems to have an inability to understand that if they side with the FSA they can keep their Tartous station. They must know full well by now that siding with Assad means that when he is ousted, the new government will remove the Russians as a punitive measure for enabling the massacres. Russia's cold war thinking is letting them down big time.

It's probably not Cold War thinking or any sort of gaming over what is basically a bunch of wooden planks on the Syrian coast. It's probably instead more a matter of pride and principle.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Well according to the people I've spoken to there's been an unspecified plan that's been put into action after attacks on the FSA in Midan by the Syrian Army, and I get the feeling we're seeing it in action. Sympathetic Syrian army members who have been unable to defect are taking the chance, and turning on their former leaders, FSA groups moving into Damascus, etc. They are trying to cut the head off the snake, so to speak.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
The FSA is claiming that it is battling to take over the state television building in Damascus https://twitter.com/Yathalema/status/225607095779721216

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

Section 31 posted:

There are probably a lot of people in the Syrian Regime who hate the regime (or maybe just dislike it), but who remain loyal out of fear, or for whatever reasons you can imagine. The rebels showing that they can strike inside of the regime like they did this morning probably inspired a lot of confidence and has everyone re-thinking their positions.

Vetitum
Feb 29, 2008

I think* this is the link to the stream being used http://www.youtube.com/user/aljazeeramubasher?feature=results_main

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

Brown Moses posted:

Well according to the people I've spoken to there's been an unspecified plan that's been put into action after attacks on the FSA in Midan by the Syrian Army, and I get the feeling we're seeing it in action. Sympathetic Syrian army members who have been unable to defect are taking the chance, and turning on their former leaders, FSA groups moving into Damascus, etc. They are trying to cut the head off the snake, so to speak.

Plus the fear of reprisals is mitigated by the chaos in Damascus. Before most of the fighting was limited to areas away from Assad's power base, so defection in the city would come at a much greater risk. But since the army is a bit preoccupied right now, it gives them the cover to make the move. And if the FSA is now in possesion of 120 tanks...

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

az jan jananam posted:

The FSA is claiming that it is battling to take over the state television building in Damascus https://twitter.com/Yathalema/status/225607095779721216

Ok call me stupid, but if they capture it can they actually do something like broadcast a message to the whole Syrian Nation? Or would the Syrian Government have some way to cut them off if the FSA captures the station?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

J33uk posted:

The fierce urgency of sometime later I guess whatever. The amount of gunfire on this Syrian stream on AJE is pretty remarkable.

Kofi Annan has a long, storied history of clucking his tongue and gravely shaking his head while atrocity loomed. Good to see that he hasn't changed in the intervening years.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Shadoer posted:

Ok call me stupid, but if they capture it can they actually do something like broadcast a message to the whole Syrian Nation? Or would the Syrian Government have some way to cut them off if the FSA captures the station?

My understanding is that it means the state wouldn't be able to send out misleading messages anymore. It's basically the FSA trying to silence the regime. I don't think we'll see anything crazy like the FSA taking over the television and speaking to the people.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Shadoer posted:

Gotta have a kill switch to prevent that happening. I'd be stunned if they didn't.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

The bomb attack remains a source of confusion.

BBC posted:

The circumstances of the deaths remain unclear. Syrian TV says the men were killed in an explosion on the National Security Headquarters in Damascus, but it has not broadcast footage of the attack, and a BBC correspondent who visited the area says there is no visible sign of damage.

Locals also claimed they didn't hear any explosion and saw no ambulances or anything.

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

^^^ - This is starting to sound more and more like a coup from other senior government/military officials.

Shadoer posted:

I don't think anyone can really answer that without physically being there, but I would assume that the State TV probably has backup generators, so I would assume they would be able to get their signal out even if the regime cuts power. If no generators, they could theoretically cut power, but that's bad for them, too.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011

Shadoer posted:

It all hypothetical but it is standard coup procedure to take over the state television/radio building first and announce victory to the masses.

People in Syria easily get al-Jazeera and BBC Arabic and Facebook though so I don't think it matters all that much.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Even if the rebels can't use the tv station to relay their own messages, silencing the state tv would be a massive blow in itself.

Un-l337-Pork posted:

I don't think anyone can really answer that without physically being there, but I would assume that the State TV probably has backup generators, so I would assume they would be able to get their signal out even if the regime cuts power. If no generators, they could theoretically cut power, but that's bad for them, too.

Power cuts are so common that almost everyone has backup generators, and for an important government building it's a given.

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

Tangentially related but folks in this thread might find it interesting. There's a great article in Vanity Fair this month about Marie Colvin, the war correspondent who was killed in Syria early in the uprising. Fascinating read.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Ok so at minimum they can shut down the regime's propaganda machine. At best they might be able to broadcast their own message, but odds are the regime has some kind of kill switch and it wouldn't be all that important anyways.

Either way, it will be another devastating blow if they manage to take it.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Capturing the media outlets serves two purposes: silencing the regime's propaganda and rallying the people to the revolution. Even if the regime cuts the generators or blows up the building, the FSA still wins by allowing Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt reign in the minds of those still on the fence, since word of mouth will favor them eventually.

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

I think we can just sit around and just talk about our feelings.
Doesn't Ramadan begin on Friday?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I wonder how Iran will react to this sudden turn of events. Any think there's a chance of military intervention from Iran?

Vetitum
Feb 29, 2008

Sivias posted:

Doesn't Ramadan begin on Friday?

It does indeed

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Brown Moses posted:

I wonder how Iran will react to this sudden turn of events. Any think there's a chance of military intervention from Iran?

Not a chance. It's logistically insane and at a time of tension for them, both internal and external it just isn't worth the risk for the gains that may come from it.

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

Brown Moses posted:

Unlikely since that could easily kick stuff off on a regional scale. The Mullahs have enough to worry about domestically to involve themselves at the tail-end of a civil war. Then again, a foreign fight can distract from domestic problems. Still it seems like too big a gamble with not much to gain, the Syrian regime has been effectively compromised so any action on their part would be a temporary respite at most.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Brown Moses posted:

I doubt Iran could get the necessary permission to march through Iraq or Turkey.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Vetitum posted:

It does indeed

Does this mean anything for the fighting as regards to a regime that's been shelling civilians for months?

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
On the whole I don't think the Iranian people care about the Assad issue all that much. It's pretty obvious watching Iranian state TV how they have basically dropped all pretense of Assad as a competent leader.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

az jan jananam posted:

On the whole I don't think the Iranian people care about the Assad issue all that much. It's pretty obvious watching Iranian state propaganda how they have basically dropped all pretense of Assad as a competent leader.

So Iran was willing to throw its one friend in the region under the bus faster than Russia was?

Vetitum
Feb 29, 2008

The livestream of the fighting just froze after the sound of a very loud explosion.

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

Hey what's that on the side of my Guardian livefeed?

Twitter user Brown_Moses posted:

I wonder if we'll see large scale military intervention from #Iran now it appears #Assad regime is on its knees? #Syria

We aren't good enough for you, Mr. Selected Twitter User?

Patter Song posted:

So Iran was willing to throw its one friend in the region under the bus faster than Russia was?

National interests > Regional Ally, every day of the week

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Listening to the Western leaders I kind of hope we dont do anything and, much like Egypt, the FSA wins on their own. Then they can tell us to gently caress off and stop being assholes and won't owe us anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Listening to the Western leaders I kind of hope we dont do anything and, much like Egypt, the FSA wins on their own. Then they can tell us to gently caress off and stop being assholes and won't owe us anything.

We did some. Food and medical supplies, safe havens in Turkey, facilitation of cash and weapons shipments from the Saudis. Sticking our hands into a meat grinder isn't the only way to assist.

• Locked thread