Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Xandu posted:

A lot of the :tinfoil: stuff related to this is focused on today's bombing in Bulgaria that targeted Israelis.

Already heard that the attack was a 'false flag' incident in order to drum up support for an Israeli attack on Iran by September or October later this year. :tinfoil: indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

az jan jananam posted:

That they would stage a military coup in Lebanon. The initial report came from Arabiya but the Jerusalem Post reposted it

Please discount this, Al Arabiya is not a trustworthy source and and "anonymous source" is downright laughable.

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

Xandu posted:

I haven't seen any polls, but I doubt it. He's lost a lot of popularity in the Arab world, but Lebanese have split along sectarian lines when it comes to Syria, with the Christians being split down the middle between the two camps.

Lebanon is an absolute sectarian mess, it makes Syria look like one big happy family. It's the red headed step child of the Middle East, and I think there's a very good chance we get a return to the 80s if (when) Syria falls apart. I realize the West doesn't want to get involved, but someone needs to start looking at options and figuring out how you bring stability to the region before it all goes off. Because make no mistake, Israel will join the fun the moment they feel threatened - and a Hezbollah coup falls under that heading.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Is Hezbollah really capable of projecting force outside Lebanese borders though? I thought them fighting on their home turf was one of the big reasons they were so effective against Israel.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

Capt Murphy posted:

Israel will join the fun the moment they feel threatened - and a Hezbollah coup falls under that heading.

A Hezbollah coup is threatening to everyone except Hezbollah. I'm certainly apprehensive of it, given that Lebanon will fall like a house of cards. Sectarianism is a bad, bad thing.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
They pretty clearly had fighters in Iraq.

There's also been enough allegations about Hezbollah involving both terrorism and financing abroad that I'm inclined to believe at least some of them.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
What would the goal of this Hezbollah coup be that keeps getting brought up? I mean what's realistically achievable regarding that if it all goes off as feared?

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

Orange Devil posted:

Is Hezbollah really capable of projecting force outside Lebanese borders though? I thought them fighting on their home turf was one of the big reasons they were so effective against Israel.

No they can't really project power outside of Lebanon, but that's not what would concern Israel. Hezbollah refuses to recognize their right to exist so it would - in their eyes - become a terrorist state to the north. And that's not something Bibi and co would ever let happen.

I mean, it sounds like the rumors of that are from bad sources and in reality I'm hardpressed to see them pulling it off. I suppose it's possible since Hezbollah would be Iran's last surrogate in the region and they would likely receive a great deal of backing. But the stability of Lebanon is a very real concern to the entire region. It just perpetuates a cycle of violence that's existed basically since the moment Israel came into being.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
As I live close to Dearborn, all my Hezbollah is the greatest friends refuse to believe anything about this conflict. They think the bodyguard was Saudi Arabian, and that Hezbollah would never go outside Lebanon and it is the strongest military in the world :ironicat:

This sectarianism is why Lebanese people who I meet make drat sure you can tell what religion they are on first glance. It's not cool.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Wait why would Assad falling lead to a Hezbollah coup in Lebanon? I thought Nasrallah's talk was hinting at Hezbollah intervention in Syria.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vetitum posted:

If i'm not mistaken then the Russian Naval Base in Syria is the only refuelling station available to the Russian Navy in the Mediterranean that doesn't force them to pass the straits in Turkey, a NATO member after all.

You do realize that the Russian fleet will still have to pass the strait to reach Syria right? They can't base all their navy there, it's just a small auxiliary port.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I am curious to what will happen to the chemical weapons. AJ is saying White House asked Syrian government to relinquish them but I don't see that happening.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Mans posted:

You do realize that the Russian fleet will still have to pass the strait to reach Syria right? They can't base all their navy there, it's just a small auxiliary port.

I think he meant passing BACK through Turkey and into the Black Sea every time they need supplies.

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

Taking a step back and looking at this from a meta level, can I just say how incredible and surreal it is that we are able to follow and discuss a civil war in real time? The power of technology and its ability to spread information instantaneously is something to behold.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

computer parts posted:

Mubarak, but iirc all the protesters did was take some time off at sunset to eat/pray.

No, Mubarak was ousted in February 2011 and Ramadan wasn't until August of that year.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

The tweets about the gas masks being handed out by Assad to his elite troops is pretty scary. If those reports are true this is going to get even uglier, if that's remotely possible anymore. I don't think this will be over this month either.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Orange Devil posted:

Wait why would Assad falling lead to a Hezbollah coup in Lebanon? I thought Nasrallah's talk was hinting at Hezbollah intervention in Syria.

There's a lot of Sunni anger in Lebanon right now. Anger over Syria and Lebanon's inaction (and even the support of parts of the security apparatus for Syria), but also at what some in the community see as a double standard, where Hezbollah can have its guns and exert influence by force but Sunnis can't, anger over how Hariri was kicked out of office. Some of it's legitimate, some of it's bullshit, but the anger is real and if Assad falls, Hezbollah loses a significant pillar of support.

Hezbollah's goal right now is to stay in power in the government. Which is why it's approving the STL funding to avoid a fight over it (even though the cabinet pretty much came into power to end the STL), trying to convince Aoun (Hezbollah's Christian ally) to stop fighting over the electricity strike, etc.

So as the Sunnis radicalize and arm, especially in Tripoli and the north, who knows what Hezbollah will do if they lose Syria and Iran (due to increasingly damaging sanctions). I don't think a coup is likely, but there's a lot of uncertainty.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH

Al-Saqr posted:

Please discount this, Al Arabiya is not a trustworthy source and and "anonymous source" is downright laughable.

Arabiya is more trustworthy than most Arab news sources, and sourcing anonymously is pretty common practice when dealing with organizations like Hezbollah.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

http://www3.almanar.com.lb/manarlive.php

Nasrallah should be speaking here soon. Lots of crazy multimedia right now to commemorate the july war.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Capt Murphy posted:

Taking a step back and looking at this from a meta level, can I just say how incredible and surreal it is that we are able to follow and discuss a civil war in real time? The power of technology and its ability to spread information instantaneously is something to behold.

I can't imagine what it must have been like to try to run a country back when major poo poo could go down with a rival or trading partner and you wouldn't hear about it until months after it was over.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Lots of rumouras about chemical weapons being prepared, etc, last night I would have thought it was crazy talk, today I'm not so sure.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Highspeeddub posted:

The tweets about the gas masks being handed out by Assad to his elite troops is pretty scary. If those reports are true this is going to get even uglier, if that's remotely possible anymore. I don't think this will be over this month either.

Just gas masks? That's good news, it'll mean that the government won't be using nervous gas! :)

Seriously though I'd take such rumours with a pinch of salt. Gas masks are normally standard issue for all combat troops, surely elite troops of all would have them anyway. So what does that mean? Syrian troops have also been using tear gas in the past.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Brown Moses posted:

Lots of rumouras about chemical weapons being prepared, etc, last night I would have thought it was crazy talk, today I'm not so sure.

I hate to say "Never!" but where? Damascus? The Turkish border? It's not like there's a huge amount of Syria that he can afford to poison. And if he does this then all of the Russian dissimulation in the world wouldn't keep a multi-national force from kicking in his door and dragging him off to The Hague.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Isn't there some sort of general consensus that Nasrallah has lost a fair bit of popularity with the Lebanese population because of his support for Assad?

There's cognitive dissonance in Lebanese society in that ~100% of Lebanese sympathize with the demonstrators and believe that Assad needs to go, but 62% believe that Hezbollah plays a positive role in Syria.

In terms of Hezbollah's decline, it's been static in Lebanon because of the sectarian politics there, but they've been on an obvious global decline since the 2006 war, like in the following countries.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

Zeroisanumber posted:

I hate to say "Never!" but where? Damascus? The Turkish border? It's not like there's a huge amount of Syria that he can afford to poison. And if he does this then all of the Russian dissimulation in the world wouldn't keep a multi-national force from kicking in his door and dragging him off to The Hague.

Fifteen years later, for mostly unrelated reasons going by historical standards.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
If his regime is collapsing whats to stop him from just turning those weapons over to other militant groups in the region is what I'd be more worried about. They may not be willing to use chemical weapons but turning them over to someone else is likely isn't it?

I mean whats the worst outcome chemical weapons get disseminated into the region from Syria and someone sets off a chemical bomb full of nerve gas in israel or something?

How likely is that?

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
All sorts of crazy rumors now, including that Assad was burned and is en route to Latakia for treatment andd that there's been a large explosion at a major military base in Damascus.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Capt Murphy posted:

Yet there's still a lot of confusion about these real-time events. There are a lot of rumours about the assassinations, the information won't be clear until the end of the war if ever.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Authorman posted:

Fifteen years later, for mostly unrelated reasons going by historical standards.

If Assad busts out WMDs against his own people in this age of 24/7 Al Jazeera coverage and a now-partially-functioning system of international justice, he is beyond hosed. The days of getting away with genocide are slowly receding (obviously mileage of this statement varies by continent/perpetrator), and WMDs are still the #1 hot button to press in international relations. At a minimum the Russians and Chinese would have to abandon support for him, and the outcry from the rest of the world would be so great that they'd truck him off to the Hague in a hot second.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Fine-able Offense posted:

If Assad busts out WMDs against his own people in this age of 24/7 Al Jazeera coverage and a now-partially-functioning system of international justice, he is beyond hosed. The days of getting away with genocide are slowly receding (obviously mileage of this statement varies by continent/perpetrator), and WMDs are still the #1 hot button to press in international relations. At a minimum the Russians and Chinese would have to abandon support for him, and the outcry from the rest of the world would be so great that they'd truck him off to the Hague in a hot second.

Remember when Nasser was arrested immediately for using poison gas against rebels in Yemen ? Or how the whole world considered him a pariah and isolated him ?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Hollis posted:

If his regime is collapsing whats to stop him from just turning those weapons over to other militant groups in the region is what I'd be more worried about. They may not be willing to use chemical weapons but turning them over to someone else is likely isn't it?

I mean whats the worst outcome chemical weapons get disseminated into the region from Syria and someone sets off a chemical bomb full of nerve gas in israel or something?

How likely is that?

Al Jazeera was just talking about this too. Apparently White House asked Syrian government to relinquish the chemical weapons in case what you said happens. Those falling in the hands of a extremist/terrorist group is the absolute worst possible outcome out of all this.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

CeeJee posted:

Remember when Nasser was arrested immediately for using poison gas against rebels in Yemen ? Or how the whole world considered him a pariah and isolated him ?

Are you seriously bringing up something that happened in 1967, when I am clearly talking about recent positive steps and the modern internet-based media environment? :what:

Seriously, a better counterexample would have been to at least cite Hussein v. Kurds, at least that happened post-CNN. Not that THAT example works entirely, either, but at least it would have been closer...

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011

MothraAttack posted:

All sorts of crazy rumors now, including that Assad was burned and is en route to Latakia for treatment andd that there's been a large explosion at a major military base in Damascus.

I don't know about this burning thing, but the story probably came from Arabiya sourcing a human rights activist that the presidential plane is heading from Damascus to Latakia. We don't know who's on board.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
So Maher al-Assad is allegedly injured? Any more information?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Just the usual rumours, he was said to be injured as soon as the bomb went of. There's claim the bomb was built into a watercooler that was delivered to the building and installed by an FSA agent.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What did Nasrallah say?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

McDowell posted:

What did Nasrallah say?

Nothing interesting, so far. He's about to get to Syria, but he's mostly talked about how he tricked Israel on the location of rockets in the July War, how Hezbollah won and is the resistance, etc.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
If the regime is planning to use chemical weapons, that means they're planning to use them on Damascus, which... I mean, there would be no words for the scale of that.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Golbez posted:

If the regime is planning to use chemical weapons, that means they're planning to use them on Damascus, which... I mean, there would be no words for the scale of that.

It is a Saudi funded attack, to make Assad look bad. Or the U.S. did it somehow. Etc etc. . .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Nasrallah:

Assad's Syria is a problem for the Israeli/Americans.

New strategic vision for Syria over the last 10 years, posing a military threat.

Israel increasingly fearful of Syria, because of missile capability.

Some view Syria as a bridge between iran and the resistance, but Syria is more than that.

The most important missiles that landed in Haifa were manufactured in Syria and given to the resistance in lebanon.

• Locked thread