Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

DemonMage posted:

Yeah, Skyrocket = SGS2, he mentioned that like 4 posts up :cheeky:
SA images are blocked at work, I can't keep you guys straight without avatars.

DemonMage posted:

Hope Samsung/T-Mobile get around to porting Jelly Bean over to the SGS3 soon. I can swap over to CM10 I suppose, but I'm fairly happy with stock I'd just love to have a fully working Google Now/Voice Search. Couldn't resist rooting though, did it the way that doesn't trip the root counter anyways so easy to go back to completely stock if need be. Just missed AdFree Android and Samba Filesharing way too much. That and not being able to restore all my saved game data with Titanium Backup without root =-(
While I wouldn't want to deal without ad blocking or Titanium either, why not use a file explorer to move things the other way (browse network shares on your phone)? Samba Filesharing was always slow for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
It's a real nice lazy way to throw new videos on it or grab images off it. It's also just as fast for me as any other wifi based operation, so I haven't had much of a reason to not use it. Fast and lazy makes it ideal for me =-p I mean copying it over via USB is definitely faster, but (slightly) more effort.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006

DemonMage posted:

Yeah, Skyrocket = SGS2, he mentioned that like 4 posts up :cheeky:

Hope Samsung/T-Mobile get around to porting Jelly Bean over to the SGS3 soon. I can swap over to CM10 I suppose, but I'm fairly happy with stock I'd just love to have a fully working Google Now/Voice Search. Couldn't resist rooting though, did it the way that doesn't trip the root counter anyways so easy to go back to completely stock if need be. Just missed AdFree Android and Samba Filesharing way too much. That and not being able to restore all my saved game data with Titanium Backup without root =-(

Im using cm10 on my ATT s3 and it is definitely stable enough as a daily. Very few bugs and they are being fixed daily. Do an nandroid and hop on the train!

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Cyanogenmod 9 RC2 is available.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

madkapitolist posted:

Im using cm10 on my ATT s3 and it is definitely stable enough as a daily. Very few bugs and they are being fixed daily. Do an nandroid and hop on the train!

Is there a feature where you can map the menu key to multitask, or have a virtual menu key?

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
I think that is something you can do through your custom launcher app. I perfer launcherpro but I have not looked into it much.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Inspector_71 posted:

My only issue is that every now and then (seems totally random) my screen will stop accepting touch input. The phone is still working and the hardware buttons (power, volume) still function, but nothing I've found short of pulling the battery will get the screen working again.

did you try 5 fingers on the screen at once? That poo poo happens to me too, and sometimes resetting the touchscreen is the only fix

oxsnard fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 19, 2012

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

IF you like the Skyrocket CM9, you should keep an eye on the Skyrocket CM10 development, as it has been progressing at a blindingly fast clip: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1775133

I've been test driving it on my T-989, Project Butter is amazing, and they got everything but the Camera and some Audio Routing worked out in two days. This thing could reach legit daily driver before the weekend is out.

Edit: Inspector, saw you edited while I was posting. Make sure you Nandroid before you flash that thing, because the audio routing glitches can interfere with calls.

So i just lost the ability to mount the external sd card in CWM on my skyrocket. Didn't notice it until I tried to flash the Beta official release from TEAM CHOPSTICKS. Keep getting "error unable to mount /sdcard" in CWM. Android still reads the volume just fine. I flashed a kernel (the badass/smartass/etc one that everyone on xda uses) could that have caused my ability to mount in CWM?

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
IS anybody else having issues with Bluetooth and the VZW Galaxy Nexus on CM9? I can't get my Xoom and Nexus to connect. They can see each other to pair, but tethering via BT seems to not be working. I was on RC1 with it working a few weeks ago, but it was somewhat unstable. It stopped connecting altogether a week or so ago, and flashing to RC2 hasn't seen a change.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

oxsnard posted:

did you try 5 fingers on the screen at once? That poo poo happens to me too, and sometimes resetting the touchscreen is the only fix

I didn't even know that was a thing. Just hold all 5 fingers on the screen or what?

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Inspector_71 posted:

I didn't even know that was a thing. Just hold all 5 fingers on the screen or what?

Yep resets the touch input on the screen. Although it's entirely possible your phone is freezing up through another mechanism

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

oxsnard posted:

Yep resets the touch input on the screen. Although it's entirely possible your phone is freezing up through another mechanism

Well that's good to know, I'll give it a shot if/when it happens next time.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Assuming Android Police is to be believed, The Desire HD is still going to get an ICS update. I'd take this with a grain of salt since you know....tech journalism and all.

This is important since apparently the DHD is the only MDM8255 powered device which HTC Vision devs can use to cull required drivers to get a properly working ICS rom. I've asked around a bit and I can't get a clear answer why any one of the other MSM8255 powered devices with the ICS update already out for them can not be used for driver sources. Unfortunately this is the ~android community~ so if you jibe against any preconceived notion or determination you'll get stonewalled, so gently caress it.

In other news, I finally rolled back to CM7.2 Stable on my G2 and it's being quite a bit more stable than it was last month when it initially came out. The weird battery drain issue I had is gone, and I'm having less force closes. It's not full ICS experience but it's probably close enough.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Yeah it's referenced here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1680808&page=6

I think it's commonly referred to as just "touchscreen bug" in the skyrocket forum but who the gently caress knows how to translate lingo on xda

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
I just installed a custom ROM on a tablet I'm borrowing. It's an HTC Flyer with a One V Sense 4.0 ROM. At the moment, the ROM makes the tablet think it's a phone, and there are some apps that run in "phone" mode, such as Google Chrome. Is there a way I can trick the tablet into to thinking it's a tablet? I tried changing the screen density and that outcome was horrible (had to reflash ROM).

TheRevolution1
Sep 21, 2011

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

I just installed a custom ROM on a tablet I'm borrowing. It's an HTC Flyer with a One V Sense 4.0 ROM. At the moment, the ROM makes the tablet think it's a phone, and there are some apps that run in "phone" mode, such as Google Chrome. Is there a way I can trick the tablet into to thinking it's a tablet? I tried changing the screen density and that outcome was horrible (had to reflash ROM).

Don't use that ROM?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I'm using Bugless Beast (JB) on my VZW Galaxy Nexus. Any other ROM I should look into? The latest nightly finally added the reboot menu, which is nice.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Gyshall posted:

I'm using Bugless Beast (JB) on my VZW Galaxy Nexus. Any other ROM I should look into? The latest nightly finally added the reboot menu, which is nice.

No, this is the best ROM out right now.

I've tried others (VanirBean, Jelly Belly) but I had issues with both. It seems like no matter what kind of optimization they add to it to make it all ~~FASTER AND BETTER~~ gently caress it up, or break something else.

I've used Peter Alfonso's Bugless Beast since my OG Droid and it's been fantastic.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Gyshall posted:

Nope, just enjoy the fully working phone.

Jobarr
Aug 12, 2000

big mean giraffe posted:

I'm loving stock JB, if it had toggles in the notification shade and reboot options on power press I'd never need anything else.

I use Power Controls (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.painless.pc) for the toggles. I like it a lot more than Widgetsoid. I also have a toggle that launches Holo Reboot (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.scartech.holoreboot) for the reboot options.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Skyrocket goons: don't flash CWM 5.8.4.3 if you haven't already. Fucks up drive mounting for me and looks like some other folks on xda. 5.5.0.4 found here is working just fine for me now:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1472954&highlight=sk8erwitskils

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

This is probably some incredibly novice level crap for this thread, but I've got an Optimus V and I've told it via ADB to install everything to the SD card by default as instructed on a couple of different websites. I know this has taken to some degree, because now I can move stuff to the SD card which, formerly, I was restricted from doing-- so it at least did something.

But, unfortunately, it still seems to want to install stuff from the Market to the internal memory.

Is this something to do with the Market, or did I miss a step between install SDK, ensure phone is connected via devices command, and setting setInstallLocation to 2?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

So on the bugless beast page, it says to flash the radios and bootloader on his downloads page. I downloaded both files but in what order do you flash them?

Also, I assume I have to flash gapps after flashing the ROM, bootloader, and radios. Correct? I only see one file for JB gapps on the google dev site so I'm guessing that's the right one?

Pretty new to the whole rooting thing but gently caress waiting 6 months for Verizon to push the update.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 20, 2012

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Drifter287 posted:

So on the bugless beast page, it says to flash the radios and bootloader on his downloads page. I downloaded both files but in what order do you flash them?

Also, I assume I have to flash gapps after flashing the ROM, bootloader, and radios. Correct? I only see one file for JB gapps on the google dev site so I'm guessing that's the right one?

Pretty new to the whole rooting thing but gently caress waiting 6 months for Verizon to push the update.

What are you going to BB from? You don't have to update the radio if it's already at the current level (which would be the 4.0.4 radios).

BB also doesn't require that you flash gapps. They are included in the ROM. For BB, just backup/wipe everything/flash the ROM and your done.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Coming from stock, sorry. Thanks, that sounds pretty simple.

Edit: Up and running. I never messed with flashing custom anything because I found it pretty intimidating, but that was really easy. Thanks!

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 20, 2012

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there any way yet to get 180-degree rotation on Jelly Bean?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Good god, this is why I'm just going to get an iPhone 5 this fall.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/20/3171779/htc-desire-hd-android-4-0-upgrade-status-uncertain

HTC went back again on the DHD update and now they are saying "Maybe possibly not yes"

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Gee whiz you don't say?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfelqZpapZA

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
I haven't seen much, but is there a good radio for the VZW Galaxy Nexus?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Yikes, Gingerbreak isn't working on my 2.3.6 stock Tmobile SGS2. It's the one I got for $235 with the broken USB but otherwise mint. Since Odin isn't an option, does anyone know an APK-based rooting solution besides Gingerbreak, or at least anything not USB-dependent? I'm gonna solder a new USB port in there when it arrives in the mail but it'd be great to have a workaround for the weekend.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Zero VGS posted:

Yikes, Gingerbreak isn't working on my 2.3.6 stock Tmobile SGS2. It's the one I got for $235 with the broken USB but otherwise mint. Since Odin isn't an option, does anyone know an APK-based rooting solution besides Gingerbreak, or at least anything not USB-dependent? I'm gonna solder a new USB port in there when it arrives in the mail but it'd be great to have a workaround for the weekend.

All successful root methods use the USB port because you need to flash a rooted kernel with Heimdall/Odin. You already know that the Gingerbreak method was patched over, and none of the other apk-based tools will work.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Ah yeah, forgot all about that patch. Soldering it is, then. I see already rooted stuff can do ADB over wifi, I might have an avenue there if that's possible without root but it sounds like I'll have to open the phone up in all likelihood.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Does the Galaxy S3 have decent support in the rooting community? It's looking like US Cellular is going to be the most affordable option in my area when I have to switch, and the S3 is the best phone they have available.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yes, there is tons of support. It's one of the, if not the most popular phone in the world right now and there are tons of people working on it, including Cyanogenmod founder Steve. Supposedly the Sprint method of rooting works just fine for the US Cellular version of the S3, but there's no US Cellular specific community that I can see so be careful of what you install as you could wind up (soft?) bricking yourself.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

DemonMage posted:

There are tons of people working on it, including Cyanogenmod founder Steve.

That's what they said about the Vision.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

And? It's got CM7.2 out for it.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
The Galaxy S3 (US version at least) already has a very stable CM10, and it isn't even in nightly status yet. You wouldn't want to use it as a daily driver, but you probably could. There's only a handful of bugs and it's only been out for a couple days.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Slopehead posted:

That's what they said about the Vision.
And the G2x!

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
Yeah but there's a p huge difference between the G2X/Vision and SGS3 in terms of popularity and specs (in comparison with same-gen phones). Also the SGS and SGS2 were/are both really well-supported.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
I traded phones with my brother as I was getting tired of the low memory on the Desire Z. I got the Captivate from him and it's overall pretty nice although I do miss the keyboard.

Right now I'm running AOKP ICS with the Glitch kernel and I keep getting the "Process Foo is not responding" and the music stutters occasionally, anyone have a recommendation on how I can fix that? I switched to the smoothass governor which helped a little bit but the issues persists, I'm currently running with a clock of 400/1200 and 400/1500 when it's plugged in.