Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
South Africa abstained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Golbez posted:

They support Assad primarily because NATO doesn't like him.

It's a little more complicated than that. It's less about pissing off the West, and more about preventing their regional influence from dissipating. Also, Putin has some domestic issues that would become more complicated if it starts to become apparent that under his lead, Russia is losing its position as a world power.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

That and the 30 000 russian citizens living in Syria from ye olden days. Got to protect them or look weak at home.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

sullat posted:

Yeah, that's not going to happen. Domino theory always has been and always will be a terrible metaphor for geopolitics. Iran had a period of unrest, but the regime managed to get through it with a little applied brutality and the support of religious conservatives who make up a huge chunk of the country. Also, Iran has periodic elections, which gives the elected leadership a veneer of credibility. There won't be a violent uprising again until maybe the next elections, if they are perceived to have been stolen.

I hope it doesn't happen, but certain American politicians and religious groups have been beating that war drum loud enough and long enough the seed is planted in people's minds that Iran is evil, has had enough time to be evil and something needs to be done about them. A veneer of elections isn't enough for some countries to get a pass either. Belarus also holds "elections" yet no one believes they're free or fair either. I saw an earlier post mentioning Belarus as a country that could face an Arab spring type revolution and I will say with confidence Iran's government will fall before Belarus's. Sweden can drop all the teddy bears on that country and have as many KGB officials defect to them they want.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Xandu posted:

South Africa abstained.

They were too busy preparing more AIDS denialist conspiracy theories to read the Syria briefing, I guess.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Here's a :nws: video of the FSA scoring a direct hit on a sniper, probably with a mortar.

The FSA also managed to capture a border post in Idlib on the Syria/Turkey border
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ax1ORuohRs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZZQX5DmTrw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0FHtvlOInk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJcij83UyGc

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 19, 2012

5er
Jun 1, 2000

az jan jananam posted:

Lebanon is always unstable, moreso now.

Shows what I know. I have Lebanese friends where I am at, in Oregon, with plenty of family still in Lebanon. The only time I had seen them anxious is when Israel crossed into Lebanon a few years back to strike at Hezbollah. Otherwise they tell me that it is a safe place to visit for Americans overall. Well, with the same admonishment I hear about any country, as long as you stick with your trusted guide and stay out of 'bad parts of the cities'. I had thought with how little we heard of issues with Lebanon through the Tunisia > Egypt > Libya > Syria conflicts, that it was a calmer, more stable place.

Captain Hindsight
Jan 7, 2011

truth masseuse posted:

So once Syria falls, what country is the next domino?

Kaal posted:

The United States.
I just performed a political collapse tarot (the cards, not dominoes, are given to every true patriot) and as you can see from top-to-bottom, left-to-right:

Brown Moses might have a collector's edition featuring Israel, but rest assured, no one has an America card. :911:

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

Brown Moses posted:

Here's a :nws: video of the FSA scoring a direct hit on a sniper, probably with a mortar.

The FSA also managed to capture a border post in Idlib on the Syria/Turkey border
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ax1ORuohRs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZZQX5DmTrw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0FHtvlOInk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJcij83UyGc

Almost sounds like they are yelling "GOAAAAAAAAAAL!".

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

5er posted:

Shows what I know. I have Lebanese friends where I am at, in Oregon, with plenty of family still in Lebanon. The only time I had seen them anxious is when Israel crossed into Lebanon a few years back to strike at Hezbollah. Otherwise they tell me that it is a safe place to visit for Americans overall. Well, with the same admonishment I hear about any country, as long as you stick with your trusted guide and stay out of 'bad parts of the cities'. I had thought with how little we heard of issues with Lebanon through the Tunisia > Egypt > Libya > Syria conflicts, that it was a calmer, more stable place.

It's definitely safe to visit, just politically unstable and (almost) always on the tip of boiling over.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Brown Moses posted:

Whoever made that shot was either tremendously lucky or Vasily Zaytsev with a mortar.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Golbez posted:

No, Assad wouldn't have let them stay. But had they turned, the new regime might have been open to welcoming them back.

Also, what could Assad really do to them? He diverts the army from the rebels to lay seige or raid Tartous and he ends up creating the conditions for an automatic Russian or international intervention.

The closest analogy I can think of is if Castro attempted to take Gitmo. Just like Castro would be cruising for a bruising from an American fist, it would be suicide to oppose a world superpower like Russia, especially in the middle of a revolution.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Zeroisanumber posted:

Whoever made that shot was either tremendously lucky or Vasily Zaytsev with a mortar.

Yeah, seriously. That's one hell of a mortar shot.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Volkerball posted:

It's a little more complicated than that. It's less about pissing off the West, and more about preventing their regional influence from dissipating. Also, Putin has some domestic issues that would become more complicated if it starts to become apparent that under his lead, Russia is losing its position as a world power.

Russia is its own region. They have a 140 million people. They can live without influencing even MORE people and area. They only care about their "influence" due to Soviet nostalgia and having NATO to focus against.

What I'm saying is: Russia needs to grow the gently caress up, stop being childish, stop obsessing over "waaah I wanna be a world power," and join the 21st century. You know, that century that doesn't have a Soviet Union, and they should give up on it?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Zeroisanumber posted:

Ha. Where's the guy who was claiming there was no way the FSA would be able to use mortars effectively?

Golbez posted:

Russia is its own region. They have a 140 million people. They can live without influencing even MORE people and area. They only care about their "influence" due to Soviet nostalgia and having NATO to focus against.

What I'm saying is: Russia needs to grow the gently caress up, stop being childish, stop obsessing over "waaah I wanna be a world power," and join the 21st century. You know, that century that doesn't have a Soviet Union, and they should give up on it?

While true, what country does this not apply to?

VVV definitely not .50. Could be some other explosive projectile, but that's way too much effect from 1 bullet.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 19, 2012

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

Zeroisanumber posted:

On second review, I'm not entirely sure it was a mortor. May have been a .50 cal?

camel melt
Sep 21, 2006

5er posted:

I'd be interested to hear anything regarding Syrian presence in Lebanon during these past few months. My mentor is from the Beirut area and says that his young relatives in the countryside have run into Syrian secret police numerous times, plus for years I've heard similar rumors about that and other general meddling. My knowledge of Lebanese politics is really low and I've admittedly stayed away from it on account of the topic being an unapproachable mess. "All this over a loving mountain," words from my mentor. Truly fascinating.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Young Freud posted:

Also, what could Assad really do to them? He diverts the army from the rebels to lay seige or raid Tartous and he ends up creating the conditions for an automatic Russian or international intervention.

The closest analogy I can think of is if Castro attempted to take Gitmo. Just like Castro would be cruising for a bruising from an American fist, it would be suicide to oppose a world superpower like Russia, especially in the middle of a revolution.

I was wondering this as well: If Assad told Russia to leave, what would happen? If he opened fire on Russian warships, they would respond, but would Russia take this as a casus belli and launch a full attack? And how would the Security Council respond to that?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

truth masseuse posted:

On second review, I'm not entirely sure it was a mortor. May have been a .50 cal?

Maybe a recoilless rifle, .50 sniper rifles aren't exactly common and a hit from one wouldn't fling you like a rag doll.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

truth masseuse posted:

On seconded review, I'm not entirely sure it was a mortor. May have been a .50 cal?

A .50 caliber doesn't make someone go flying into the air ragdolling like that. That has to be an explosive.

Looking closer, there looks to be a guy behind the roof access bulkhead tossing something, most likely a grenade.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It seems like a mortar from the way he was flung upwards. Also, assuming the bang at the beginning of the video is from the weapon that got him, it seems like the projectile was in the air far too long for a recoilless rifle.

I'm pretty sure that guy's head popped off. :stare:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Zeno-25 posted:

It seems like a mortar from the way he was flung upwards. Also, assuming the bang at the beginning of the video is from the weapon that got him, it seems like the projectile was in the air far too long for a recoilless rifle.

My only thing is typically mortar rounds are loud as hell in the air. I couldn't hear any kind of whistling like you'd hear before "Incoming." Could have just been drown out by the people talking. I didn't see the person who appeared to be throwing something that the above poster mentioned, but a grenade seems very plausible.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Golbez posted:

I was wondering this as well: If Assad told Russia to leave, what would happen? If he opened fire on Russian warships, they would respond, but would Russia take this as a casus belli and launch a full attack? And how would the Security Council respond to that?

They wouldn't fire at warships because Russians wouldn't try to resist. The Russian base is literally just a pier, a drydock and a few buildings within the city's port. It's a very small base. It's nothing like the Guantanamo Bay area, not defendable by any means.

And no, Russia would not attack Syria... it would be laughable, Russian military has no such capability.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Young Freud posted:

A .50 caliber doesn't make someone go flying into the air ragdolling like that. That has to be an explosive.

Looking closer, there looks to be a guy behind the roof access bulkhead tossing something, most likely a grenade.

Yeah, there's definitely a dude right behind where the sniper is - just keep an eye on the part of the roof where that big lightpost is.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
There is no loving way its a 50cal bullet or a grenade, half the roof explodes in the video.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Zeno-25 posted:

The initial bang at the start seems to be coming from the sniper though.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

keyframe posted:

There is no loving way its a 50cal bullet or a grenade, half the roof explodes in the video.

Just normal smoke and dust kicked off by any explosive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDpuNrA55-A

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

keyframe posted:

It looks like something impacts the sandbags before whatever it is launches the sniper into the air. There may have been a guy back there but on a closer viewing I don't think he tossed a grenade. Maybe spotting for someone who planted some explosives on the inside of the building.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
This live stream allegedly shows a giant fire in the mountains nearby, possibly from a burning artillery unit: http://bambuser.com/v/2839752

e: and here is a picture, looks big: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=383499591717466&set=a.38349953505080585383.188677754532985&type=3&l=c3a1ece0a6&theater

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

The Entire Universe posted:

It looks like something impacts the sandbags before whatever it is launches the sniper into the air. There may have been a guy back there but on a closer viewing I don't think he tossed a grenade. Maybe spotting for someone who planted some explosives on the inside of the building.

It looks to me like he comes up the stairs, peeks out to identify the sniper, then eventually he really exposes himself, ducks back behind cover, and instantly after that, there's the explosion. We wouldn't be able to see a defined throwing action on that quality of video, but based on how he is using his cover, it looks like he's tossing a hand grenade.

Also, like I said. It's completely missing the sound. You can't hear it from the launching point, but seeing as it would've been launched from so far away you can't even hear the round initially being fired (the first bang can't have been a mortar being fired nearby, as the hangtime wouldn't have been nearly that long) the sound should've been distinct.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGdELUQMMdM&feature=youtube_gdata_player#t=1m17s

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 19, 2012

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

Well the Brits sure aren't mincing words.

William Hague posted:

This course of action was necessary and reasonable and it was called for by the Arab League, by special envoy Kofi Annan, supported by countries across the council, like India, Morocco and Columbia. It was not a Western proposition. It was what people in governments all over the world wanted to see, and there was nothing in it that would have authorised military action.

So the decision by Russia and China, in the view of the United Kingdom, to veto this resolution is inexcusable and indefensible. When it came to the time to turn agreements, which they have supported, into action to end the violence, they stood aside from that. They have turned their back on the people of Syria in their darkest hour.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
This is probably pedantic, but is it really 'their darkest hour' now that they've just dealt a rather crippling blow to Assad's regime?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

MothraAttack posted:

This live stream allegedly shows a giant fire in the mountains nearby, possibly from a burning artillery unit: http://bambuser.com/v/2839752

e: and here is a picture, looks big: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=383499591717466&set=a.38349953505080585383.188677754532985&type=3&l=c3a1ece0a6&theater

Supposedly, these are in the al-Qasiuun mountains, near the Presidential Palace.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pureauthor posted:

This is probably pedantic, but is it really 'their darkest hour' now that they've just dealt a rather crippling blow to Assad's regime?

The region is a powderkeg descending into anarchy. When Officials are being killed in bombings (no matter how terrible the leaders are), it's in major "nobody's right" territory.

Russia backs Assad; the US, Israel, and Saudi Arabia are arming "terrorists"/"freedom fighters".

It's bad times for everyone. Behind closed doors do you think Putin has threatened to fire ICBMs into Afghanistan? The test launch into Kazakhstan suggests that at least some of the arsenal is aimed in that direction.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
FSA controls all border checkpoints on Syria-Iraq border, Baghdad confirms:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5ispIrLdwmKGnbZc_TzlUOPGFyeow?docId=CNG.eeb39b7412701b678cf051d8c5bf6266.391

(Courtesy of Brown Moses' Twitter feed)

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

I think we can just sit around and just talk about our feelings.

Patter Song link posted:

"The top official said Iraqi border guards had witnessed the Free Syrian Army take control of a border outpost, detain a Syrian army lieutenant colonel, and then cut off his arms and legs.
"Then they executed 22 Syrian soldiers in front of the eyes of Iraqi soldiers."
The account of the killings could not be independently verified.
Assadi added: "If this situation continues, we are going to close the entire border with Syria.""

Yikes

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
Love it

@dhdfisher Syria Traffic Update: seems to be some disruptions to public transport in #Damascus due to recent events

There are a few tweets coming in now that Iran's IRGC Qods Foorce commander Soleimani was also killed in yesterday's bombings.

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/158048#utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=fanpage

Unverified of course, but I would expect significant if true.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Yea one thing the thread seems to be whitewashing is the FSA seems perfectly fine with battlefield and extrajudicial executions of prisoners.

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

The Guardian Liveblog has the draft of the resolution as well as some more quotes.

UN Security Council posted:

1. Decides to renew the mandate of the United Nations Supervision Mission in Syria (UNSMIS) for a final period of 30 days, taking into consideration the Secretary-General's recommendations to reconfigure the Mission, and taking into consideration the operational implications of the increasingly dangerous security situation in Syria;

2. Expresses its willingness to renew the mandate of UNSMIS thereafter only in the event that the Secretary-General reports and the Security Council confirms the full implementation of paragraph 2 of resolution 2043 and a reduction in the level of violence sufficient to allow UNSMIS to implement its mandate;

3. Requests the Secretary-General to report to the Council on the implementation of this resolution within 15 days;

4. Decides to remain seized of the matter.

I'm more or less out of words for the Russians and the Chinese at this point. Pack of assholes.

Capt Murphy fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Patter Song posted:

FSA controls all border checkpoints on Syria-Iraq border, Baghdad confirms:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5ispIrLdwmKGnbZc_TzlUOPGFyeow?docId=CNG.eeb39b7412701b678cf051d8c5bf6266.391

(Courtesy of Brown Moses' Twitter feed)

They also seized the main border crossing between Turkey and Syria, according to AFP.

• Locked thread