Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
I downloaded Breath of Fire 4 off PSN a few days ago and I've been playing mostly blind. Any tips or tricks? For the record, I'm just past getting the sandflier and have gotten four of the dragon evocations, and only 1 dragon crystal on Ryu and Fou-Lu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

SpazmasterX posted:

I downloaded Breath of Fire 4 off PSN a few days ago and I've been playing mostly blind. Any tips or tricks? For the record, I'm just past getting the sandflier and have gotten four of the dragon evocations, and only 1 dragon crystal on Ryu and Fou-Lu

Defending is how you learn enemy abilities so if you see an enemy with an ability you want, defend til you learn it. I find learning Rest from the earliest goos and giving it to Ryu is a huge help. It actually regens a large amount of health and AP this time around and if Ryu has it, so does Fou Lou.

Also, fighting and killing enemies with certain abilities can raise the reward you get from them. For example, afflicting an Eye Goo with Blind status then killing it grants 2x the exp. This FAQ has a pretty good rundown if you're into that sort of thing: http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/196818-breath-of-fire-iv/faqs/12971

Also, save every single item you run across early on, sell nothing. One of the masters grants a skill for (I think) 80 unique items in your inventory. Once you get it you can sell everything you've collected.

softcorps
May 25, 2005

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes

The White Dragon posted:

Fortune Summoners: Yea or nay? I'm looking for something like Wonder Boy in Monster World but the more I look at it the more it sounds like Magical Diary Horse Hall Anime Harry Potter instead of "have one or two blocks of text, gently caress bitches up all day"
I didn't finish it and I haven't played Wonder Boy, but I don't remember there being a ton of dialogue, especially if you choose not to talk to optional NPCs. I bought the the game thinking it'd be some cute and lighthearted casual game, but no, instead what I got was Dark Souls as a sidescroller with big shiny eyes. It's not really bad but the unforgiving combat is a stark contrast to the theme and art style.

Button mashing will get you killed quickly, enemies are faster than you, magic casting is slow, and if a party member dies without a way to revive them, you won't be able to complete certain dungeons.

One minute you're thinking, "Oh ha, Arche and Sana are so cute. This is adorable," and the next you're going "oh jesus loving BEES. It's like they're psychic or something."

e: \/ Yeah, I usually let the AI control Arche and let her do her berserker thing while I controlled Sana, who then has more breathing room to cast her spells and just heal Arche. Arche is worth giving a shot though, and at least a little practice is probably necessary since there are a few solo segments where you only have her.

softcorps fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jul 20, 2012

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The single biggest piece of advice I can give is to let the AI handle Arche whenever possible. She'll go cannonballing around murdering everything in ways you can hardly imagine. If you didn't have to tap directions with the attacks she'd be a lot less frustrating to use.

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power
I would give controlling Arche a chance if you are up for it. I thought it was fun and couldn't imagine letting the AI do all the work.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I spent most of the game controlling the fire girl and generally keeping her out of trouble while Arche and Sana did their things. Otherwise she wades in and gets killed or spams too much magic when it's not needed and doesn't cast it when it is.

blue font
Feb 28, 2011

SpazmasterX posted:

Just chiming in to say BOF4 is bar none my favorite of the bunch. I liked the story quite a bit, it was animated very well and it had the best translation out of any of them. I wish Capcom would've kept making those games... and I would've loved to see Ryu or Nina in MVC3.

I've recently dug out Divine Divinity after getting a little burned out on Diablo 3 but still hankering for some hack and slash. Game is a little janky, but it's always held my attention more than the more recent Divinity games were able to. Still, I've got high hopes for their latest turn-based foray.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Last Remnant is currently on the Steam community vote. It hasn't been featured in other sales as of yet and if it wins that'll drop it to $7.50, which is what it went for on Gamersgate during their sale a couple weeks back.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
For Fortune Summoners, if you have a controller try playing Arche. If you don't, I can see how she'd be kind of a pain to get to do what you want. Once you understand that the enemy AI input reads like a bitch and you have to bait them out sometimes and how to counteract flying enemies (hint: its a combination of downward jumping slash and reckless abandon) it becomes ridiculously fun.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
I spent the whole game playing Arche. The two attacks you should learn to use are her wheel slash and her twirling slash, you can clear most rooms with those alone.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

SpaceDrake posted:

It can vary. Sometimes it's pretty breezy but sometimes it can get a bit chatty. We did our best to make sure it was at least amusing, and often interesting enough. The original script wasn't bad but it could go on a bit.

The day the CF bundle went on sale both the bundle and a couple of individual games were in the top sold list, I'm guessing it went well for you guys?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
The current Steam Community vote includes Ys Origin if anyone missed it - now's the time to vote!

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
aw man, gently caress fortune summoners controls, it really ruins the whole game

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Honest Thief posted:

aw man, gently caress fortune summoners controls, it really ruins the whole game

Like I said, control a mage when you can. They're much easier to handle and keeping them from wasting all their mp all the time has benefits.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
For Final Fantasy 3, is there anyone whose supposed to have specific jobs? I remember in my first playthrough I made Refia my white mage (which is kind of sexist) but I can't remember if it was my own doing or plot forced?

Btw, the ff3 android version is pretty good, I'm pretty sure its the version that was released for the DS. I wish it was ff4 though, much better story.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

casual poster posted:

For Final Fantasy 3, is there anyone whose supposed to have specific jobs? I remember in my first playthrough I made Refia my white mage (which is kind of sexist) but I can't remember if it was my own doing or plot forced?

Btw, the ff3 android version is pretty good, I'm pretty sure its the version that was released for the DS. I wish it was ff4 though, much better story.

Anyone can do any job. My first playthrough, I had:
Luneth as a speedy fighter (Monk, Thief, Ninja, etc)
Arc as a healer (White Mage, Devout, etc)
Refia as a mage (Black Mage, Summoner, etc)
Ingus as a heavy fighter (Knight, Dragoon, etc)

Next time through, I made Luneth the heavy fighter, Refia the speedy fighter, and Ingus the mage. They all did fine in the switched-up roles. I kept Arc as the healer, which is mostly due to the timing of when he joins. I don't like playing RPGs for long without a healer.

Captain Vittles fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 28, 2012

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Coolcool. I forget, does Refia leave for any period of time??

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

casual poster posted:

Coolcool. I forget, does Refia leave for any period of time??

I don't think so. I'm pretty sure the only rotating party members are the fifth members, who can't be controlled anyway.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Don't know where else to ask but:

I tried searching via titles, but is there no Dragon Age II thread? Or is that all in the Origin thread?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Tae posted:

Don't know where else to ask but:

I tried searching via titles, but is there no Dragon Age II thread? Or is that all in the Origin thread?

I would assume it's because nobody really liked DA2.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

If it helps you find them I'm pretty sure the original DA2 threads are all in the gaschamber. People understandably did not react well to that game. Doesn't really explain the pre-release thread though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A Sometimes Food posted:

If it helps you find them I'm pretty sure the original DA2 threads are all in the gaschamber. People understandably did not react well to that game. Doesn't really explain the pre-release thread though.

Every single thing that came out of Bioware prior to release was pretty embarassingly awful and mockable. v:shobon:v DA2 is like the prime example of a company loving up on every level you can imagine, from pre-release hype, to the game itself, to post-release support. It came to an amazing climax when they went "uh, we'll finish Hawke's story in a book or something."

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ImpAtom posted:

Every single thing that came out of Bioware prior to release was pretty embarassingly awful and mockable. v:shobon:v DA2 is like the prime example of a company loving up on every level you can imagine, from pre-release hype, to the game itself, to post-release support. It came to an amazing climax when they went "uh, we'll finish Hawke's story in a book or something."

You know what was more embarrassingly mockable? The people who were convinced that this was just Bioware's marketing screwing up (remember that godawful song they put in the original DA trailer?) and not indicative of the game itself, even going so far as to purchase a hard copy of the game for full price when it came out because they were so confident.

So go ahead and mock me all you want, I'm still embarrassed and deserve to be :suicide: Seriously, Bioware, I trusted you!

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

DA2 is like the prime example of a company loving up on every level you can imagine, from pre-release hype, to the game itself, to post-release support.

I think it's been pipped by Old Republic at this point.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

In Unchained Blades, do quests expire if you haven't finished them by the end of a chapter? The "max out your dragon pokemon" quests are getting a bit annoying and I'd love it if I could just finish it next chapter instead of having to grind.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 1, 2014

Teslavi
May 28, 2006
Ridiculous.

U-DO Burger posted:

In Unchained Blades, do quests expire if you haven't finished them by the end of a chapter? The "max out your dragon pokemon" quests are getting a bit annoying and I'd love it if I could just finish it next chapter instead of having to grind.

I'm pretty sure quests never expire, so feel free to finish them whenever you want. Some quests are in quest chains and have decent rewards, but they're nothing worth tearing your hair out over.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Jesto posted:

This question is for anyone who has played Avernum: Escape from the Pit.

Right now Kyass of the Freehold is giving me several recruitment quests for his town. At the same time, the Commander from the Castle wants me to go in there and murder him. I have my suspicions that murdering Kyass would kind of lock off his line of quests.

Am I meant to do all his quests and then kill him? :( Because I kind of like his town, and I'm not sure if the Commander's reward for essentially destroying a town is all that great.

I haven't played Escape From the Pit (except for the intro dungeon), but from playing virtually every Exile and Avernum game, it sounds like it's up to you whether to complete the quest to murder Kyass. If it were me, I wouldn't do anything I didn't want. It's very common for Jeff Vogel to give you quests like that in his games, and then show the consequences in the ending sequence.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

U-DO Burger posted:

Nah nothing ever expires as far as I know, but you need to complete quests to unlock the subsequent quests. I eventually stopped doing the quests like in chapter 5 and never looked back, and rarely got new ones as a result.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Looks like Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time just popped up on PSN.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Rascyc posted:

Looks like Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time just popped up on PSN.

For a pretty much dead system, the PSP's still getting a pretty respectable stream of RPGs. I've never played a Growlanser game, but I've been planning on picking this one up.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Wayfarer of Time is also Vita-compatible right away, although you can't directly download it from one as of yet. You need to content transfer with a PS3.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Cake Attack posted:

For a pretty much dead system, the PSP's still getting a pretty respectable stream of RPGs. I've never played a Growlanser game, but I've been planning on picking this one up.

I'm sure the fact that a lot of us who bought a Vita are using it to play PSP games helps :v:

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I'm sure the fact that a lot of us who bought a Vita are using it to play PSP games helps :v:

That's pretty much all I've been using it for so far, anyhow. At least till Ragnarok Odyssey comes out.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

I figured a few of the regulars of this thread would be interested even though it's not technically a RPG.

XSEED has announced the official release date of Way of the Samurai 4.

August 21st - PSN release only.

edit:

Gyoru fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 3, 2012

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Also just as a PSA, Growlanser rules like hell and you should all run out and buy it right this loving second. Possibly the best RPG I've played in a decade, with only a couple other contenders.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

SpaceDrake posted:

Also just as a PSA, Growlanser rules like hell and you should all run out and buy it right this loving second. Possibly the best RPG I've played in a decade, with only a couple other contenders.

Is it that good? I've bought it, but I wasn't planning on getting around to it for a while. I might put some other games on hold to play Growlanser first.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Cake Attack posted:

Is it that good? I've bought it, but I wasn't planning on getting around to it for a while. I might put some other games on hold to play Growlanser first.

It begins slow and it sort of feels like it takes a while to really Get The Band Together, but once it's on all cylinders it races like a loving Ferrari 458. Absolutely fantastic and it throws legitimate twists at you that you will not see coming without spoilers. Even if you think you know what's going on and what a certain cliche might call for, you don't.

It is really, really good and tbh I'm a little :smith: over the fact that I didn't get to work on it because playing it now I would have loved to work on this title.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

SpaceDrake posted:

It begins slow and it sort of feels like it takes a while to really Get The Band Together, but once it's on all cylinders it races like a loving Ferrari 458. Absolutely fantastic and it throws legitimate twists at you that you will not see coming without spoilers. Even if you think you know what's going on and what a certain cliche might call for, you don't.

It is really, really good and tbh I'm a little :smith: over the fact that I didn't get to work on it because playing it now I would have loved to work on this title.

I didn't have many expectations going in, it's awesome to hear it's that good. A slow start isn't a huge problem, I love Trails in the Sky way too much and god knows that started slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Gyoru posted:

I figured a few of the regulars of this thread would be interested even though it's not technically a RPG.

XSEED has announced the official release date of Way of the Samurai 4.

August 21st - PSN release only.

edit:

YES