Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Anyone in the Midwest able to compare Lucky Bucket's Certified Evil to anything like Eclipse or whatnot? It's Belgian ale, but bitter like an IPA but one that's all smoked up, oh gently caress it you need to try it if you like mean beers.

I love it so much but now my local Hyvee only sells it in single bottles for like $2.50 :smith:

(Yeah that's like $15 for a sixer of 12oz bottles)

Before I came here my beer experience was limited because I grew up in Florida. Now I've learned the variety beer has to offer and am still trying beers that are new to me 5 years after coming up here. Omaha is truly a beer nexus.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jul 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Angry Grimace posted:

I've literally never even heard of a pumpkin porter, pumpkin stout and so forth.

they exist, but the ones i've had weren't any better than your average pumpkin ale

wattershed posted:

I need to try the LA version of that collaboration as everybody who tries the NB version seems tremendously underwhelmed.

our Whole Foods beer buyer popped a bottle of the NB version when they came in and said, "that's distinctly... average." i was inclined to agree- too bad it's a dead beer and won't do much of anything if you age it.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

Block 15 in Corvallis.
Wow, looks like they have really good food in addition to beer. I'm actually moving to Corvallis so I think I'm going to be there a lot.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

dumptruckzzz posted:

Hey guys I think I'm gonna be in charge of ordering for my store's beer department, should I get all the pumpkin beers or just most of them?

Well, it's not popular on this forum and is pretty average (even by my reckoning and I love it), but I'll say it anyways; last time I saw Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale around Chicago, it blew through the city in two weeks. People were buying the poo poo out of it. Probably because it's quirky, has striking, seasonally iconic packaging, and asks pretty much nothing out of the drinker; smell some pumpkin pie in the nose, have a nice sip of a hop neutral, somewhat thick ale & done. Looks-wise, it sells itself; their designers outdid themselves capturing the essence of Fall in box and label art. It's a perfect decoration beer for a Halloween party.

It seems like a novelty beer that you just stack in the front of the store and watch people gravitate to it.
---
I was window shopping on Cigar City's website, looking at all the things I can't have, and noticed the have a pretty interesting Pumpkin Ale:

http://www.cigarcitybrewing.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=20&Itemid=33

Dunno if you can get it in or not, but it looks promising.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Good Gourd is awesome. Also just brewed it this week, and we have to add pumpkin and poo poo today. We get the lovely task of carefully slicing up 12 pounds of vanilla beans :smith:

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

CYBER SLIMER posted:

We get the lovely task of carefully slicing up 12 pounds of vanilla beans :smith:

how much did that cost? also, do you guys use canned pumpkin? i'm assuming most breweries that don't just spice their beer do.

Dirty Phil
Jul 3, 2012

dumptruckzzz posted:

Hey guys I think I'm gonna be in charge of ordering for my store's beer department, should I get all the pumpkin beers or just most of them?

This is the best pumpkin beer I have had: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/700/7077/

Elysian is a great local Seattle brewery that has been getting better national distribution lately. The Night Owl is seasonal, early fall, and goes quick. Worth it if you can pick up a bottle. I haven't liked any other pumpkin beers I have tried.

Also,

Wolfy posted:

I'm going to Portland/Corvallis next week and I just don't even know what to try. I'll have most of a day in Corvallis and maybe an evening in Portland. Any suggestions for either place? I won't have a car and my hotel in Portland is near the airport, and I understand there isn't much out in that part of town.

If you are downtown I highly recommend going to the Bridgeport Brewery as well, and probably the Lucky Lab. Solid Portland beers with tasty food and nice atmosphere. Henry's Tavern has an insanely huge tap list if you are looking for ultimate variety, but they are overpriced and the place can get filled up with d-bags pretty quick. Blitz and The Life of Riley generally have good tap lists and are accessible downtown. Lots more beer on the east side if you wanna go that way. Bus/bikes are super convenient in Portland.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Going back a whole lot of pages to answer this because I've been gone for a week:

Angry Grimace posted:

Hamilton's *looks* like a dive, but it's as "destination" as it gets. It's bad enough that I don't bother going there if I can help it because the Toronado is friendlier and as a rule less crowded (its still crowded).
It was busy, but the selection was great and I managed to find a spot at the bar. The hop sausage was good. Some friends joined me in the late evening and we opened a couple of bottles, including a really weird kriek from Big Sky.

quote:

I haven't seen her in a while but there used to be a bartender that worked at both Pizza Port Carlsbad and Toronado who was a smokin' hot chick :blush:
She was my bartender at Pizza Port, she's pretty cool. She came very close to convincing me to do Toronado instead of Hamilton's, but in the end my friends living closer to Hamilton's won out.

I was in Mexico for a week and the beer situation down there isn't nearly as dire as most people think. There are some good breweries doing interesting things in/near Tijuana; unfortunately they don't export to the US. Cerveceria Insurgente did an interesting "black IPA" for their first anniversary called Nocturna that had some brett in it. I'm not sure if it was intentional or not, but the horseblanketfunk went really well in it. Apparently Cerveceria Ramuri is doing a lot of interesting stuff as well, including a stout, but I didn't get a chance to try it.

Farther south in Mexico the situation's less great, but in Jalisco there were Indio, Leon, and Minerva, none of which suck.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

funkybottoms posted:

how much did that cost? also, do you guys use canned pumpkin? i'm assuming most breweries that don't just spice their beer do.

I'm interested in your answer to this too, Slimer. I just finished brewing my latest beer and was thinking of experimenting with pumpkin ale. I found trays of tinned organic unflavored pumpkin mash on Amazon for a decent price and was wondering if that would work.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
We do a pumpkin beer and use canned pumpkin puree in the mash, and spices in the whirlpool/boil.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Haha that guy's throwaway joke about pumpkin beers spurred yet another page of sperging about them. Well done.

CalvinDooglas posted:

I say do something different: banana beer.

Sorry dog, someone stole your brilliant idea (it is gross)

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Docjowles posted:

Haha that guy's throwaway joke about pumpkin beers spurred yet another page of sperging about them. Well done.

My pet theory is that the people who piss on pumpkin ales secretly like them, but can't admit it to themselves because it's like telling your music snob friends that you heard a funny song about fish heads on Dr. Demento last night.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

Josh Wow posted:

We do a pumpkin beer and use canned pumpkin puree in the mash, and spices in the whirlpool/boil.

I very much enjoyed Good Gourd... wait sorry, you're the Terrapin fellow. What's yours called again?

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

mysterious frankie posted:

My pet theory is that the people who piss on pumpkin ales secretly like them, but can't admit it to themselves because it's like telling your music snob friends that you heard a funny song about fish heads on Dr. Demento last night.

I always buy a case of DFH Punkin when it first comes out :shobon: That's two goony beer hatreds in one!

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

funkybottoms posted:

they exist, but the ones i've had weren't any better than your average pumpkin ale

our Whole Foods beer buyer popped a bottle of the NB version when they came in and said, "that's distinctly... average." i was inclined to agree- too bad it's a dead beer and won't do much of anything if you age it.

In my mind a pumpkin brown ale would be way better. But maybe that's because my family tends to buy Newcastle around Thanksgiving.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Ahahahaha oh my god he posted photos of the beer tasting (before it has even happened) in a thread on BA complete with details on a 'game' we get to play.

quote:

The Game: Every single bottle (besides their own) is a mystery to the people attending. They will bring the bottle concealed into me, and I will put a bag over top, rubberband it, and give it a "#" that I assigned it in the tasting order (shout out to MarkIntihar, MordorMongo, & pschul4 for their help with the order).

Then, each person takes a sheet and as we taste they rate each beer and then guess from the list I provided on the right side of the sheet which beer they think each one is. Get it right, and you get a point...Top points gets 1st, 2nd 2nd, & 3rd 3rd...easy as that.

:ughh:

(And that banana bread beer is probably in the top 5 worst things I've ever put in my mouth.)

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Sirotan posted:

Ahahahaha oh my god he posted photos of the beer tasting (before it has even happened) in a thread on BA complete with details on a 'game' we get to play.

:ughh:

You need to counter his game with a suggestion to play beer pong with whatever people bring...

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Josh Wow posted:

Awesome, thanks!

nah
Mar 16, 2009

funkybottoms posted:

Yep canned pumpkin. Big ole Libby's cans.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Docjowles posted:

I liked it when I was first getting into beer v:shobon:v

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

When I go to the local british pub, I still order Smithwick's sometimes :ssh:

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
Does anyone know for sure what date Ballast Point stamps on their bottles? Some people on the BA forums have me wondering now. Some sites say 6 months, others say 120 days, and none of the "sources" are directly from Ballast Point.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Munkaboo posted:

I very much enjoyed Good Gourd... wait sorry, you're the Terrapin fellow. What's yours called again?

Pumpkinfest. I think it's ok and I think Dogfish Head's Punkin is ok. I thought Cottonwood's pumpkin beer was pretty good. Those are the only ones I've had that I thought were decent, but I don't seek out pumpkin beers either.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
PUMPKIN

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
So I went and got that Duvel today. They also had some Founders Breakfast Stout which I didn't realize was seasonal (how they had six 4packs beats me). Does it age well? Might go pick it up if it does.

Whisker Biscuit
Dec 15, 2007

Harminoff posted:

So I went and got that Duvel today. They also had some Founders Breakfast Stout which I didn't realize was seasonal (how they had six 4packs beats me). Does it age well? Might go pick it up if it does.

It'll age fine, but it really is best fresh, when the coffee flavor is really bold. Typing that really made me want some Perkolator.

I went to founders yesterday and tried a few new beers, but the only real standout was Looking Glass, which I guess is double trouble aged in brandy barrels. It's really, really good. Big jammy fruit, vanilla and toast at first, then a warming, spicy, slightly bitter finish. A lot if not virtually all of the hop flavor is gone, but the residual bitterness really balances what I think would otherwise be a pretty cloying flavor profile. I hope this one or Hnd of Doom make it into their big bottle series.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Whisker Biscuit posted:

I went to founders yesterday and tried a few new beers, but the only real standout was Looking Glass, which I guess is double trouble aged in brandy barrels. It's really, really good. Big jammy fruit, vanilla and toast at first, then a warming, spicy, slightly bitter finish. A lot if not virtually all of the hop flavor is gone, but the residual bitterness really balances what I think would otherwise be a pretty cloying flavor profile. I hope this one or Hnd of Doom make it into their big bottle series.

This makes my mouth water.

Their 15th Anniversary Barley Wine was supposedly bottled today. I'm very excited about failing to get a bottle of this when it hits Chicago...

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
:worship:

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Sirotan posted:

PICTURE!!!

Please keep these coming.

Whisker Biscuit
Dec 15, 2007
Holy crap.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The best part is I'm not even there yet, the thing doesn't start for another two hours and he's putting these all on BA himself. lol

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
Please make sure you take a good amount of photos, I'm really looking forward to seeing how this plays out.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I hope you win the first place prize in the beer guessing competition!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Elysian took over 13 taps at the beer bar on Tuesday, and there's still a fair amount left. Definitely the best that I tried was Peste Apocalypse- it tastes like chocolate to start and ends with your throat getting spicy since it's brewed with five different spices (chipotle, cayenne, ancho, guajillo, and pasilla).

And yes, one of the beers was a pumpkin beer.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

RiggenBlaque posted:

Does anyone know for sure what date Ballast Point stamps on their bottles? Some people on the BA forums have me wondering now. Some sites say 6 months, others say 120 days, and none of the "sources" are directly from Ballast Point.

Six months. I asked the head brewer.

In other news, the San Diego Toronado is tapping kegs of every vintage of Consecration, including the very first unreleased batch. Too bad I've got a research paper due on Sunday :cry:

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Sirotan posted:

The best part is I'm not even there yet, the thing doesn't start for another two hours and he's putting these all on BA himself. lol

i'm hoping you take the lord's name in vain an awful loving lot tonight

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

funkybottoms posted:

i'm hoping you take the lord's name in vain an awful loving lot tonight

I'll try. As it is the dude's gonna poo poo a brick if I tell him where I work.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

A guy I know just posted some pics from Hill Farmstead to Facebook, said he drank a bunch of beers with Shaun Hill and the porter was the best he's ever had. Wish I had known he was going, I would have fed him a bunch of troll questions about eBay to "ask for me".

Definitely looking forward to the hilarious fallout from this tasting. Thanks for taking one for the team, Sirotan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

In my head I'm picturing the host of this no fun allowed beer party as a fatter, bearded Sheldon Cooper.

cryme posted:

PUMPKIN

:ssj:

mysterious frankie fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jul 20, 2012