Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Manslaughter posted:

Assuming a flat horizon in all directions roughly how much of the sky can I see? (How far is the horizon, and past that how far can I see the clouds beyond it?)

What do you mean "clouds beyond it"? How could you see past the horizon? Assuming a perfectly clear day/sky, how far away the horizon is depends on how far above sea level you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

Manslaughter posted:

Assuming a flat horizon in all directions roughly how much of the sky can I see? (How far is the horizon, and past that how far can I see the clouds beyond it?)

That depends on how high and how tall you are. The higher your eyes, the further away the horizon will be.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Manslaughter posted:

When you say "assuming a flat horizon," do you mean there aren't any hills, or that you're discounting the curvature of the Earth?

Wotan
Aug 15, 2009

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.
I think by "flat horizon," they mean no hills/mountains etc. I think their question is, "Given a line of sight toward the horizon without mountains and poo poo, and where I can see the Sun partially rising or setting, how far away is that ("that" being the horizon that you can clearly see the Sun rising/setting from/into)?"

I don't know the answer but that's how I read it.

Edit: Assume the viewer is 75 feet tall I guess.

Wotan fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 21, 2012

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT
Distance to to the horizon on a perfect sphere = sqrt(eyeheight2 + 2*R*eyeheight)

Radius of the earth = 2.09022e7 feet
I'll assume it's 5.5 feet from the ground to your eyes

sqrt(5.5^2 + 2*2.09022*10^7*5.5) = 15163.3 feet or 2.87 miles

A perfect sphere is not a ridiculous assumption here when you're looking over the ocean, and this calculation is actually useful for navigation.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Sorry I was so vague. Noni has sort of the concept I was going for. And yes by 'flat horizon' I mean no change in elevation from my point to the horizon.

Now let's say I wanted to know how far away a cloud I saw right on the horizon was. I know clouds vary in height so assume it's edge is 10,000 feet in the air. Would it be possible to estimate roughly how far away it is? A bad picture for reference, where Noni's measurement is the pink line and the one I'm looking for is the green...

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

Manslaughter posted:

Sorry I was so vague. Noni has sort of the concept I was going for. And yes by 'flat horizon' I mean no change in elevation from my point to the horizon.

Now let's say I wanted to know how far away a cloud I saw right on the horizon was. I know clouds vary in height so assume it's edge is 10,000 feet in the air. Would it be possible to estimate roughly how far away it is? A bad picture for reference, where Noni's measurement is the pink line and the one I'm looking for is the green...

Calculate the distance from you to the horizon at your height.
Calculate the distance from the cloud to the horizon at the cloud's height.
Add the two distances together.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Manslaughter posted:

Fun fact: there are some indications that some layered atmospheres will bend the light in such a way that the entire surface of the planet one would be visible. No horizon, just the entire surface of the planet.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

kapalama posted:

Fun fact: there are some indications that some layered atmospheres will bend the light in such a way that the entire surface of the planet one would be visible. No horizon, just the entire surface of the planet.

Oh the back of my head! Not something you see ever day, is it, the back of your own head.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

unpronounceable posted:

Oh the back of my head! Not something you see ever day, is it, the back of your own head.

And what's more, you would see it no matter which direction you looked!

Moscow Mule
Dec 21, 2004

Nothing beats the taste sensation when maple syrup collides with ham.
Looking for some videos or a series of videos about dog & a baby running against each other in the presidential election.

I think it was from the 2004 or 2008 election. They were comedy shorts about an election where the candidates were a dog and a baby. There might have also been a cat. They might have been shown on Adult Swim during commercial breaks (it's not that Dog Vs. Cat thing though). Most of the shorts were things like them giving "speeches", attack ads criticizing their opponent, that sort of thing. The baby may have had a Hispanic name.

PRETTY sure I didn't dream this up but I can't find anything on Google or Youtube that isn't about a dog mauling a baby or how cute dogs & babies are or whether dogs or cats are the better pet.

SmokeyXIII
Apr 19, 2008
Not Stephen Harper in Disguise.

That is simply not true.
Tell me where I can buy digital movies or TV shows online, that isn't itunes and is available in Canada. I've been using 7 digital for music and its been working out really great so far, now I just need some way to get at movies and tv.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
So is this basically their way of saying gently caress off to entry level applicants?

quote:

We invite qualified candidates to send a resume, and cover letter with salary history and desired salary (only candidates who send salary requirements will be considered for the position)

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

Xandu posted:

So is this basically their way of saying gently caress off to entry level applicants?

It sounds like this is not an entry level position, as entry level applicants won't have a salary history and likely won't have any clue about what sort of salary to expect.

Assuming that's true, it is a way to avoid wasting people's time. Last year I was interviewing for a position that had certain expectations about experience level -- someone came in to interview that was over-qualified and was coy about salary requirements (he had them, but didn't want to say). When we got to the end of process and wanted to put an offer together, he revealed that we were $30k too low. Sorry, ain't gonna happen.... A hard requirement for the candidate to state his salary requirements avoids this sort of situation.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
When I play discs on my PS3, I have to turn the volume up quite a bit compared to games. Is this normal, or is there a setting that affects the volume of different sources?

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004
Why do televisions and monitors these days need to be extensively and expensively calibrated when you buy them? Why don't they just make them come color correct straight out da box?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

MyronMulch posted:

It sounds like this is not an entry level position, as entry level applicants won't have a salary history and likely won't have any clue about what sort of salary to expect.

Yeah I was just confused because it seemed like I was relatively qualified for everything they listed, and then it wanted a salary history. I guess they were looking for something else, then.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

Why do televisions and monitors these days need to be extensively and expensively calibrated when you buy them?

They really don't actually unless your job or something means you need exact colors.

quote:

Why don't they just make them come color correct straight out da box?

That would cost a lot extra to test each and every display's color before it gets shipped out.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

Why do televisions and monitors these days need to be extensively and expensively calibrated when you buy them? Why don't they just make them come color correct straight out da box?

I bought a LED TV and monitor in the last couple years and they worked out of the box without any calibration.

Is this something very new? What is expensive about it?

E: Now that I think about it this sounds like some Best Buy upsell type thing.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

I bought a LED TV and monitor in the last couple years and they worked out of the box without any calibration.

Your displays are undoubtedly not calibrated to the level you'd need for professional color accurate design work. However you're unlikely to ever need that, so it doesn't matter.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

Why don't they just make them come color correct straight out da box?

If it's being used in an industry that demands the ultimate color precision, the calibration will depend on the computer it's plugged into and unavoidable vagaries in its components and other parts of the system. There's no one "perfect" setting that all monitors aspire to.

That said, everyone else is correct that a modern display should look completely fine for casual use out of the box and you should only need to mess with it if you find you don't like personally.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Install Gentoo posted:

Your displays are undoubtedly not calibrated to the level you'd need for professional color accurate design work. However you're unlikely to ever need that, so it doesn't matter.

drat it. Now I have to go calibrate my stuff! ;)

Still curious about the "expensive" part.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

On the topic of color accuracy, has the move to digital made NTSC any more consistent?

I worked in a TV production company about 15 years ago and each tape (beta) the editor put in, the color ratios had to be manually adjusted to match the previous tape. With digital production, is this still the same PITA as it was? I think they got their first Avid suite right before I left.

Why did the guy swear up and down that PAL was better? What was the difference and is it still relevant?

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Xandu posted:

Yeah I was just confused because it seemed like I was relatively qualified for everything they listed, and then it wanted a salary history. I guess they were looking for something else, then.

Eh, I wouldn't necessarily let it discourage you, though. As someone who is currently looking for a job, a lot of job ads seem to have at least some boiler plate in them. Asking for a salary history may also mean that they are willing to consider both experienced and entry-level candidates, but they may not want to pay the salary that an experienced candidate would demand. If you don't have a salary history, don't include that, just include your salary requirements--even entry level applicants are likely to have some amount of salary that they require.

And it's not necessarily just a way of ensuring that people's time isn't being wasted, although it can be that--it can also be a way of ensuring that the employer is not overpaying for the position. Employers don't necessarily know exactly what it will cost to hire someone to fill a role--they may have a range of salaries that they would be willing to pay, but if enough competent, qualified candidates are willing to work for the lower end of the scale they can save on salary.

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jul 21, 2012

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Namarrgon posted:

All that talk about IDs made me remember; when I was backpacking in Australia there were quite a few banks that would only do certain things (like sending money overseas) if you could show two forms of (I assume official) identification. That said I only had a passport at the time, no drivers license or anything. Would it simply have been impossible to get anything done? Just seems a bit weird as there was only really one legal document confirming my identity in the world at the time.

In the US, passports are valid for anything as far as I know, even opening bank accounts. Depending on what you needed done in Australia, I expect a passport would have been just fine.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Huntersoninski posted:

In the US, passports are valid for anything as far as I know, even opening bank accounts. Depending on what you needed done in Australia, I expect a passport would have been just fine.

The only thing I remember was transferring money overseas. But now that you mention it they probably meant two forms of non-passport ID, that seems to make the most sense.

a pwn cocktail
May 12, 2008
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-18856533

"In the corner of a quiet Chinese courtyard, 5,000 miles from Scotland, stands a memorial in Isle of Mull granite."

Is five thousand miles possible if the earth is (apparently - http://search.conduit.com/Results.a...SSPV&CUI=SB_CUI) twenty-five thousand miles in circumference? Assuming Britain is roughly the opposite side of the earth to China, which I thought it was..

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

a pwn cocktail posted:

Is five thousand miles possible if the earth is (apparently - http://search.conduit.com/Results.a...SSPV&CUI=SB_CUI) twenty-five thousand miles in circumference? Assuming Britain is roughly the opposite side of the earth to China, which I thought it was..

It's probably distance along a great circle, which is along the circumference of the earth. That's the distance you'd use for navigation purposes.

If you have invented a machine to drill through the earth, you will need to do some trig to convert distances.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

a pwn cocktail posted:

"In the corner of a quiet Chinese courtyard, 5,000 miles from Scotland, stands a memorial in Isle of Mull granite."

It's 5200 miles according to this:
http://www.geobytes.com/citydistancetool.htm

Also, Argentina is roughly opposite China:

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

a pwn cocktail posted:

Polar Route
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_route

Is why it takes not much longer to fly from Tokyo to NYC(New York CIty) as it does from Tokyo to SFO(San francisco), and it is much shorter than flying at a constant-ish latitude. Tokyo (to Midway) to Edmonton to Newfoundland to Scotland will be much, much longer.

Also the Earth's Cicumference is what it is at the Equator. At the Poles, the 'circumference' (time to traverse all the latitude lines at a constant latitude) is arbitrarily small. Travel in the Northern Hemisphere never traverses anywhere near the actual circumference of the Earth, because as long as the latitude is not zero, the constant latitude trip around the earth is increasingly small as you get towards the poles. Until at the poles, a trip 'around the world' is just spinning in place.

kapalama fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jul 22, 2012

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

I asked in the SPiderOak referral thread too:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3420383

but since that is moatly for those starting out, maybe no one knows.

I have one device with a backup that basically takes my full quota, and I want to add a new device with the same folder to backup and sync. But since the folder is large, SpiderOak won't let me add the folder for backup even though it is the same folder that already exists up there. And if I do not add it as backup, it will not et me add it as a sync item.

Basically I want the same functionality as DropBox but with SpiderOak. (It's easy to see whay DropBox is so popular because this is all so painless with it, and it is an absoutely PITA with any of the competitors.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Namarrgon posted:

All that talk about IDs made me remember; when I was backpacking in Australia there were quite a few banks that would only do certain things (like sending money overseas) if you could show two forms of (I assume official) identification. That said I only had a passport at the time, no drivers license or anything. Would it simply have been impossible to get anything done? Just seems a bit weird as there was only really one legal document confirming my identity in the world at the time.

What you need here in Australia for proving your ID for serious things is normally "100 points of identification" as outlined here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/100_point_check

I'm not sure how stringent that list is though as I'm pretty sure I've gotten through things with just my license and credit card before.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
facebook question again: if i turn off tagged review (when it was previously on), will the other pending items to be tagged automatically be put on the wall or will it still ask for permission?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

kapalama posted:

I asked in the SPiderOak referral thread too:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3420383

but since that is moatly for those starting out, maybe no one knows.

I have one device with a backup that basically takes my full quota, and I want to add a new device with the same folder to backup and sync. But since the folder is large, SpiderOak won't let me add the folder for backup even though it is the same folder that already exists up there. And if I do not add it as backup, it will not et me add it as a sync item.

Basically I want the same functionality as DropBox but with SpiderOak. (It's easy to see whay DropBox is so popular because this is all so painless with it, and it is an absoutely PITA with any of the competitors.

Well SpiderOak is incredibly badly written and organzied. I had to move everything out of the folder, back the empty folder up, then move everything back into the folder and then set-up the sync.

Nothing like having to trying and make wild guesses what hoops a program forces its users to jump through.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
So a lot of us are fairly nerdy here and I hope you'll all know what I'm talking about:

In Final Fantasy 9, the main character is called Zidane. Did people pronouce that as Zy-Dain, or Zi-dann? There's a famous soccer player called Zidane (Zi-dann) so I never for a second considered it could be anything other than that. But I just saw an internet video that called the character Zy-Dain. Did anyone really pronounce it that way?

SmokeyXIII
Apr 19, 2008
Not Stephen Harper in Disguise.

That is simply not true.

Hoops posted:

So a lot of us are fairly nerdy here and I hope you'll all know what I'm talking about :

In Final Fantasy 9, the main character is called Zidane. Did people pronouce that as Zy-Dain, or Zi-dann? There's a famous soccer player called Zidane (Zi-dann) so I never for a second considered it could be anything other than that. But I just saw an internet video that called the character Zy-Dain. Did anyone really pronounce it that way?

yeah me, in my head

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Hoops posted:

So a lot of us are fairly nerdy here and I hope you'll all know what I'm talking about :

Before I studied Japanese, Zee-dane. After, Zee-dah-nay.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I pronounced it Zih-dane, because I had a kid on a baseball team with me who had that name.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

tarepanda posted:

Before I studied Japanese, Zee-dane. After, Zee-dah-nay.

Pretty sure you mean Gee dah nay, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

kapalama posted:

Pretty sure you mean Gee dah nay, right?

No, I don't.