Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

homercles posted:

anything in java seem to get stricken with massive bloat

take jedis, it takes this simple as poo poo protocol (http://redis.io/topics/protocol) and bloats it out to 15000 lines of java with an extra 6500 lines of tests.

OH GOD, NOT TESTS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>
if only tests didn't run when you deployed and ran applications

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

my real problem here is the test bloat. there are far too many for my liking. i want my tests savagely optimized for maximal coverage and minimal bloat. my disk is not some limitless playground for lazy programmers.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Is Lisp the language that's all about data comparisons, or is that Prolog?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

you're thinking of OCaml

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
APL

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
J

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
i think that outside of node, J is the best language out there. Just like lovely P languages, you have amazing J languages.

J for analysis, Java for your web framework, Javascript for your frontend.

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
Jython

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

multigl posted:

I'm loving sentry and raven for python.

how did i not know about this :(

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

rotor posted:

no i mean like as soon as the bare bones is there quick time to move on to something else, we'll patch that ugly poo poo later (the ugly poo poo never gets patched)

"agile"

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

tef posted:

(and the whole 10x productivity thing is bunk too)
you're obviously never worked with bog standard developers

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

rotor posted:

my real problem here is the test bloat. there are far too many for my liking. i want my tests savagely optimized for maximal coverage and minimal bloat. my disk is not some limitless playground for lazy programmers.

I agree and don't at once.

Test bloat is a necessity when you have feature bloat or a poo poo ton of business rules. Tests will have to reflect the state of your software to some extent. If you're working on a complex thing with so many rules they're hard to keep track of, I can't expect your tests not to cover a few of them. I also see it as necessary when doing system testing.

Then you have test bloat because many tests cover the same code path a few times -- I can see this being somewhat useful when you test starting from the interface/API (read: never test private methods). Those are mostly useful in TDD scenarios where your tests reflect your spec and do not care about the implementation nearly as much as they care about your code's behaviour. IMO, these tests tend to require very little refactoring unless the app's rule changes at the same time. They'll be more bloated from a setup/teardown perspective, but they're generally easy to reuse.

Then you have test bloat, yet again for similar-branch-coverage, but due to input/output corner cases. How does your string parser handle invalid input, specific errors, cases that should succeed only in some cases, counter-examples, and so on. Those are lovely and painful to maintain.

This last case is the place where you want newer ideas like property-based testing, some kind of derivative from fuzzy testing. You define properties of your program (a min-heap will always have the root of each sub-tree smaller or equal to all of its children, for example), then ways to build the data required to test your program. The property-based testing tool will then generate thousands of different items respecting the rules you established and pit them against your implementation to figure out if the property still holds.

The biggest problem I think I see with tests is that people tend to write them after the fact; then they don't so much represent a test of the original requirements, but a crystallization of the current, likely lovely, implementation. Any attempt to improve the lovely implementation means you have to get tangled with the tests that froze it that way, and there's no fun way to do it. Tests (often written before the fact) that represent some higher-level spec of what the code ought to do tend to be fun to reuse, and be a godsend to refactoring and rewrites.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i want to learn how to run tests like a motherfucker and get the general ideas but they just havent clicked for me yet

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

workplaces that implement methodologies and business processes as a blanket solution to cut dev time and save money rather than try to improve in general are bound to be disappointed. Nobody gives a poo poo about new systems, it'll be ignored it and devs will keep doing whatever they were doing before.

Somehow focusing on your people and trying to make their work environment better suited to their needs appears to be more efficient than telling them how to their job.

http://alistair.cockburn.us/Characterizing+people+as+non-linear%2c+first-order+components+in+software+development

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
lol you said cockburn

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

i want to learn how to run tests like a motherfucker and get the general ideas but they just havent clicked for me yet

Three types of code:

1. Throwaway prototype. You're discovering what your application should do. Don't test that poo poo; if you don't know what things should do, it's dumb to crystallize the discovery phase. At some point the prototype you wrote for whatever subsystem you had gave you the properties you wanted. You now understand the problem. If you don't understand your problem and how it should work, you haven't explored it enough and it's bound to turn into poo poo.

2. Production code. You know what code should do and have an idea how it should do it (I hate the Beck-like TDD where you explore with tests. That poo poo sucks). The tests become a spec for you to implement and respect. That's why you want to write test first -- they now force you to think as the user of the code and not give a poo poo about how you have to implement it. That should hopefully give cleaner, consistent interfaces, and force you to avoid all kinds of lovely "maybe this will be needed!" kinds of code.

3. Prototypes that make it to production. I figure this is likely due to tight deadlines. I'm generally a pretty slow programmer, and tend to leave a paper/email trail of my telling people stuff will be late if I need to prototype things. Then my hands are somewhat clean and everyone knew I'd be late. Sometimes you just can't avoid it, though. Production is the prototype, and you have to try and sneak in refactoring in the future or do it commando-style. The rewrite becomes production stuff. Sometimes it just never happens and that code becomes the hairball nobody wants to maintain but you're forced to do it, and then you hate yourself.

Note that I firmly believe writing tests first is a good idea, for one reason above all: it's boring as gently caress to write tests after the fact, and I'm bound to poo poo them up, make them low quality, and crappy, just to get done. Testing first at least keeps me awake with some interesting design work and makes writing tests slightly less boring.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
junit works fine for me, but my code is also highly modular and each module isnt that big so its nice. also most modules implement common interfaces so the tests are the same across implementations of the same interface.

slf4j for logging. not great but whatever. logging sucks.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

MononcQc posted:

Three types of code:

1. Throwaway prototype. You're discovering what your application should do. Don't test that poo poo; if you don't know what things should do, it's dumb to crystallize the discovery phase. At some point the prototype you wrote for whatever subsystem you had gave you the properties you wanted. You now understand the problem. If you don't understand your problem and how it should work, you haven't explored it enough and it's bound to turn into poo poo.

2. Production code. You know what code should do and have an idea how it should do it (I hate the Beck-like TDD where you explore with tests. That poo poo sucks). The tests become a spec for you to implement and respect. That's why you want to write test first -- they now force you to think as the user of the code and not give a poo poo about how you have to implement it. That should hopefully give cleaner, consistent interfaces, and force you to avoid all kinds of lovely "maybe this will be needed!" kinds of code.

3. Prototypes that make it to production. I figure this is likely due to tight deadlines. I'm generally a pretty slow programmer, and tend to leave a paper/email trail of my telling people stuff will be late if I need to prototype things. Then my hands are somewhat clean and everyone knew I'd be late. Sometimes you just can't avoid it, though. Production is the prototype, and you have to try and sneak in refactoring in the future or do it commando-style. The rewrite becomes production stuff. Sometimes it just never happens and that code becomes the hairball nobody wants to maintain but you're forced to do it, and then you hate yourself.

Note that I firmly believe writing tests first is a good idea, for one reason above all: it's boring as gently caress to write tests after the fact, and I'm bound to poo poo them up, make them low quality, and crappy, just to get done. Testing first at least keeps me awake with some interesting design work and makes writing tests slightly less boring.

my development process usually goes 1 -> 3 -> 2 cause half the time they dont know waht they want but they want it now. so something that works but doesnt have good tests and/or has prototype interface methods/models that ended up not being used makes it into production. then i wait for a bit and see what they actually needed and do a big refactor and bug cleanup.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Shaggar posted:

my development process usually goes 1 -> 3 -> 2 cause half the time they dont know waht they want but they want it now. so something that works but doesnt have good tests and/or has prototype interface methods/models that ended up not being used makes it into production. then i wait for a bit and see what they actually needed and do a big refactor and bug cleanup.

Yeah, that does happen a lot when the clients don't know what they want. If you're lucky, that doesn't happen too often. Truth be told I'd guess over 95% of all programmer jobs do it 1 -> 3 -> 2 (with 2 being optional). A few lucky ones can do 1 -> 2 and keep it there.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
gently caress clients, gently caress them in the rear end with a big, splintery wooden dildo, then break it off and beat them to death with the rest of it.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

MononcQc posted:

Yeah, that does happen a lot when the clients don't know what they want. If you're lucky, that doesn't happen too often. Truth be told I'd guess over 95% of all programmer jobs do it 1 -> 3 -> 2 (with 2 being optional). A few lucky ones can do 1 -> 2 and keep it there.

going 1 -> 2 requires good requirements and project management with realistic timelines. if you can get either of those you're pretty lucky, so i think 1->3->2 is most common with 1->3 being the web "development" standard.

its one of the reasons i split everything i do into modules and use SOA. smaller chunks of code are easier to test, maintain, or change without affecting the whole. i have a few "larger" projects that i did a while back that are so gross and need to be redone, but it would require a complete overhaul since everything is so tightly coupled. im never gonna get around to it.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

MononcQc posted:

Three types of code:

I only know two: legacy code and failures

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

tef posted:

i heard somebody griping about a "legacy node.js project" in may 2011 lol

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

tef posted:

supersets/subsets, eh.

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

no true rest api

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Panic! At The cisco posted:

no true rest api

if you meet roy t fielding in the road, kill him

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

tef posted:

if you meet roy t fielding in the road, kill him

He describes himself as "...part Maori, Kiwi, Yank, Irish, Scottish, British, and California beach bum..."

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
i hate him for that, but is rest bad or something?

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
oh it's terrible

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

tef posted:

oh it's terrible

true for everything about computers at all times

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

tinselt0wn posted:

the worst

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

tinselt0wn posted:

Shaggar posted:

the worst

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

Stringent posted:

gently caress clients, gently caress them in the rear end with a big, splintery wooden dildo, then break it off and beat them to death with the rest of it.

i hear rakuten's nice although rumour has it you need a good TOEIC score these days. ganbatte.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

qntm posted:

"agile"

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
srsly death to all methodology gurus

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU
out of curiosity what's agile like in practice? I see numerous job posts with "agile experience a plus," and I'm familiar with what agile's like in theory but what does it actually turn in to?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
a mess

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Pendragon posted:

out of curiosity what's agile like in practice? I see numerous job posts with "agile experience a plus," and I'm familiar with what agile's like in theory but what does it actually turn in to?

if you've got discipline it works pretty sustainably

a friend of mine worked at a firm that used it with a big rails site for about five years just fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Pendragon posted:

i'd say that depends on whether your manager has some background with the practices or just took a workshop from some guru or maybe saw the word somewhere