Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also anyone who deployed a broekn tomcat from a linux package repo.

you need to download it from apache and install a real jvm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
jetty's probably fine too if you wanna use that instead of tomcat but tomcat is really great.

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop
jboss lol

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.
tc-server is p nice

also the jvm in ubuntu has worked well enough for me, but the drat tomcat is terribad, always get it from an apache mirror

tomcat and jetty can both withstand hot code loading but will eventually starve permgen if you aren't really careful w/ classloading, and clojure itself will not starve permgen with code reloading due to some tricks it plays with the jvm.

seriously though tomcat is not hard, get the tar/zip , put it somewhere, put your war file into /webapps and start it. ya it's not rails hot but it works

also you can use this
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/JETTY/Maven+Jetty+Plugin/

which works well imo

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
just use the codehaus tomcat deploy plugin for maven. ez pz

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also i've never seen it screw up classloading like tha.t thats probably ur hosed up ubnbunuuttutu jvm

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
imma let you finish but first what does everybody think of freelancer and similar sites

are they a way of doing scrub jobs for portfolio fodder
or is every project a no-money Superfund site of mishmash code from the subcontinent that you're expected to clean up for $5/hr

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
theyre poo poo and its demeaning for everyone involved

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
they're really great if you want to make a facebook clone in three weeks for $400

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
are you kidding me? i could make 400 dollars in just three weeks if i knew how to code? Is that like NYC/Bay Area prices or is that what everyone makes doing this stuff

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
seems like there are a few dece scraping gigs that i can underbid a bit but that'd just be for beer money. idk

so far i havent found an open source project that i both care about and could meaningfully bugfix/contribute to and i got bout 12-18 months to have a portfolio that i am comfortable handing to companies

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh my god

this place is a cesspool

oh my god

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>

tinselt0wn posted:

are you kidding me? i could make 400 dollars in just three weeks if i knew how to code? Is that like NYC/Bay Area prices or is that what everyone makes doing this stuff

lol

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Jonny 290 posted:

seems like there are a few dece scraping gigs that i can underbid a bit but that'd just be for beer money. idk

so far i havent found an open source project that i both care about and could meaningfully bugfix/contribute to and i got bout 12-18 months to have a portfolio that i am comfortable handing to companies

portfolio of what

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
those sites are for clients who are too cheap to hire an already super cheap php dev and/or who scared off legit contractors because the client was terrible to work with.

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Shaggar posted:

those sites are for clients who are too cheap to hire an already super cheap php dev and/or who scared off legit contractors because the client was terrible to work with.

contractors cost too much money

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

ahhh spiders posted:

portfolio of what

cipherin', or as you city boys call it, "code"

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
write blogs in ruby on rails

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

oh my god

this place is a cesspool

oh my god

yeah those projects are really bad. also i have the same problem with open source/github stuff. i can't find anything i give a poo poo about to even try and contribute, and even then i don't really know how to start. say there's a library someone wrote for a given language, or a framework extension or something. are you supposed to just read all the code and think of something to add to it? do you simply try to break it? i could also never really tell if the issues that get listed for a given repo are ones being worked on by anyone or if they're open to whomever can actually do it.

basically i'm an idiot and don't really know where a good place to start is because most github projects are stupid/too niche or simply too complicated

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Sulk posted:

yeah those projects are really bad. also i have the same problem with open source/github stuff. i can't find anything i give a poo poo about to even try and contribute, and even then i don't really know how to start. say there's a library someone wrote for a given language, or a framework extension or something. are you supposed to just read all the code and think of something to add to it? do you simply try to break it? i could also never really tell if the issues that get listed for a given repo are ones being worked on by anyone or if they're open to whomever can actually do it.

basically i'm an idiot and don't really know where a good place to start is because most github projects are stupid/too niche or simply too complicated

talk to the maintainers of the project and ask if they have anything for you to do

CaptainMeatpants
Jun 1, 2010

write a jquery plugin like everyone else does

CaptainMeatpants
Jun 1, 2010

jButts v0.1

Patches the .html(), .append()/.appendTo(), and .prepend()/.prependTo() methods to always insert a string reading "butts".

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

CaptainMeatpants posted:

write a jquery wordpress plugin like everyone else does

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

also i've never seen it screw up classloading like tha.t thats probably ur hosed up ubnbunuuttutu jvm

it's classloaders holding a reference to classes which never get collected, causes permgen starvation

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
Instruments is pretty cool

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

So I tried some of the new Javafx yesterday. It seems pretty nice UI-wise for java, and might end up being a nice alternative to swing. It also seems to load pretty quick as an applet, but there's not much point in it on the web-front unless flash dies and html5 doesn't improve.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Migrated my perl web app from my laptop to a vm at work, put up a MySQL DB. Already faster and more stable.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
We had MySQL just continually chew 100% CPU or 50% of two CPUs at work today, and presumably for several days in the past.

Turns out it was a leap-second bug.

But yeah don't use Mongo unless you like global write locks.

some guy on the internet posted:

Mongo doesn't have a global write lock, it has per-container write locks!

Yeah some fanboi brags about having one lock per table, and it took a year or two to get things to that state.

Mongo more like wrongo.

Friends don't let web developers make databases.

Edit: edited for quality assurance.

Edit II: True story: I went to a conference on algorithms dealing with massive modern data sets at Stanford, saw some Basho guys there and they were greybeards in t-shirts. Didn't see anybody having anything to do with Mongo. I saw a MongoHQ stand at a UC Berkeley career fair (why the gently caress did I go to that, we didn't hire anybody from that and I almost died on the freeway while driving back) and it was some 30-40-year-old dudes in light blue button down shirts and they just had this general web developer look. Basho's the only other company in this space that doesn't give off the smell of being massively retarded.

For the record UC Berkeley is full of terrible CS students who suck at programming.

shrughes fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jul 25, 2012

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
riak seems neat, maybe one day i'll have more data than postgres can handle

tef fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jul 25, 2012

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Shaggar posted:

servlets have always been awesome and tomcat is fantastic.

i cant really disagree with this. just tomcat and some servlets, shits dead simple and works great. you dont need all that enterprisey poo poo.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

duTrieux. posted:

"The concept is more or less 'Top Chef' for geeks,"

holy poo poo, they managed to make reality tv even more boring

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
How to do Java web deployment (for babbys)

1. mvn package
2. Copy target/butt-store.war to ur live Tomcat instance's webapps directory

I mean I'm not sure how that could possibly be any more straightforward, it really is p sweet. You can't SCP it straight to the webapps directory, you have to SCP it somewhere else and move it first (otherwise it'll try to deploy a partially-transferred WAR and that way lies 503 errors and lots of frantic scrambling). But apart from that it's p sweet. You might be thinking of that old shambling EJB poo poo but lmao if you think anyone uses that anymore. I don't even see the point in using JSP these days, because even with the JSTL it's wordy as fuc and Freemarker is just better.

Java owns, Postgres owns. Kill all MySQLs ever, it is an embarassment.

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

$ mvn package
> DOWNLOADING THE INTERNET
> COMPILING SOME STUFF
> DOWNLOADING MORE INTERNET
^C^C^C^C^C
> CANT LET YOU DO THAT DAVE
> COMPILING STUFF I DONT EVEN NEED EAT A HOT BOWL OF DICKS DAVE
> DOWNLOADING TUCOWS LOL

welp guess i suck at maven

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Mr Dog posted:

1. mvn package

3. Hire someone who knows what the gently caress they're doing to clean up your mess.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

homercles posted:

$ mvn package
> DOWNLOADING THE INTERNET
> COMPILING SOME STUFF
> DOWNLOADING MORE INTERNET
^C^C^C^C^C
> CANT LET YOU DO THAT DAVE
> COMPILING STUFF I DONT EVEN NEED EAT A HOT BOWL OF DICKS DAVE
> DOWNLOADING TUCOWS LOL

welp guess i suck at maven

apparently so because it does that once ever and then it caches it all in your ~/.m2 directory?

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

gently caress you i wont download what you tell me

motherfuckeerrrrrrrrrrrrrr

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

Mr Dog posted:

1. mvn package

I mean I'm not sure how that could possibly be any more straightforward, it really is p sweet. You can't SCP it straight to the webapps directory, you have to SCP it somewhere else and move it first (otherwise it'll try to deploy a partially-transferred WAR and that way lies 503 errors and lots of frantic scrambling). But apart from that it's p sweet. You might be thinking of that old shambling EJB poo poo but lmao if you think anyone uses that anymore. I don't even see the point in using JSP these days, because even with the JSTL it's wordy as fuc and Freemarker is just better.

if you use tc-server you can administratively deploy something by running a command line admin or thru a webapp, which prevents premature war extraction

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Mr Dog posted:

1. mvn package

more like:

mvn clean package tomcat:deploy -PProduction

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

trex eaterofcadrs posted:

if you use tc-server you can administratively deploy something by running a command line admin or thru a webapp, which prevents premature war extraction

thats part of tomcat and not tc-server specific

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meiwaku
Jan 10, 2011

Fun for the whole family!

Shaggar posted:

So tempted to do a simple one for free in something like Scala, and establish horribly inaccurate expectations for the market place.

Or do something fun on Kaggle for real money. Hmm...