Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AgentF
May 11, 2009

Phyresis posted:

There is no way a Kabalite Warrior is worth 9 points. Maybe 7.

7 points for 4+ poisoned shooting and 4+ armour? Keep in mind that a guardsmen is 5 points. I take it you don't play against dudes who bring MCs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

AgentF posted:

7 points for 4+ poisoned shooting and 4+ armour? Keep in mind that a guardsmen is 5 points. I take it you don't play against dudes who bring MCs.

They only have 5+ armor I think. But IG Veterans cost 7 points and the only difference between them and 5pt guardsmen is BS4 and more equipment options. I mean yeah you've got to balance and cost things in the context of the codex, but 9 points seems pretty fair considering their statline, abilities, and equipment.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

CyberLord XP posted:

Are Stompas fun/worth running? I ask because I just got offered one in trade.

Only if you turn it into a Big Mek stompa and spend the game flinging vehicles around like a 5 year old with matchbox cars.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
Kabalites have 5+ saves, only the Sybarite gets 4+ and that's only if you buy Ghostplate Armour.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Here's a comedy list from dakka:

quote:

Epidemius 110
Herald of Nurgle, Aura of Decay 85

(15) Plaguebearers, Chaos Icon 250
(15) Plaguebearers, Chaos Icon 250
(10) Plaguebearers 150
(10) Plaguebearers 150
(7) Plaguebearers 105
(6) Plaguebearers 90

(12) Screamers 192
(12) Screamers 192
(12) Screamers 192

Big Mek, bosspole 40
(30) Grots, 4x Runtherd 120

Aegis Defence line, Comms relay 70

Split your waves like this:
Epi+Herald of Nurgle+1x15 PB, 2x10 PB, 2x Screamers
1x15 PB, 1x7 PB, 1x6 PB, 1x Screamers

Deploy your Grots around the Aegis line for cover saves. Hope for the right wave. If you get the wrong one, oh well, you've got a rerollable 3+ for Epi next turn.

When Epi comes in, proceed as follows:

DS his squad near the Grots. Move the Grots into a clump near him and the Herald, try to get them all within 6" of both of them (they should be on the edge of the PB unit). Activate Aura of Decay on both Epi and the Herald, causing str2 hits on every enemy model within 6". Yes, the Grots count as enemy models

Kill around 25 Grots on average. You now have maximum Tally, so your PB's now wound on 2+ in CC, ignore armor saves, and have a 3+ FnP against EVERYTHING except str10. Charge forward, profit. (Remember to run the surviving Grots out of 6" from Epi's squad, so on a roll of 1 don't stand around doing nothing.)

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Phyresis posted:

What the poo poo is this? :psyduck: Do Blood Axes not exist or something? IT'S IN THEIR loving CODEX. Not to mention the even fluffier option of Komandeering a large amount of Imperial Guard gear and vehicles and Orking them up.

I'm not saying that's an actual thing in the studio, but I've seen plenty of people say that Orks and IG should never go together, ever, nevermind all that old fluff, never mind Blood Axes, it's 'not fluffy' and anyway no-one will actually convert it propery, it'll just be Orks and IG together. Yes, these people are loving idiots.

I need to get Orks to ally with IG and Daemons because I want Daemons and oh god, this loving hobby.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

comedy list from dakka

Holy poo poo, I am doing this. I am so doing this.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

I saw that list a couple of days ago. I really hope retarded poo poo like that is fixed in the FAQ.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Corrode posted:

The allies chart being purely about fluff, apparently decided on by two different people (one of whom is one of those huge loving nerds who gets upset by stuff like Orks and IG allying because they NEVER would, EVER, EVER, no your fluff examples don't COUNT, anyway no one would do it PROPERLY, they NEVER would), is a total pain in the balls.

So yeah who's this about?

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Played a 1500 game against Necrons last night using what amounted to my 5th ed IG list(4 melta vet boxes, melta CCS box, 3 vendettas, russ, manticore). He ran 4-5 units of warriors a wraith/Destroyer Lord assault unit, two death ray flyers and a monolith. I went first on Hammer and Anvil/Big Guns Never Tire and pretty much just steam rolled over him. The manticore rocked his warriors and got some free kills on the wraiths, the russ cleaned up things that were left, and I rolled up meltas into his monolith. His fliers finally came in on turn 3 but were shot out of the sky by my out flanking vendettas and even if they lived I was positioned so they had to fly past my front line.

Honestly after loving around with allies and semi-mechanized guard for a couple weeks coming back to my mostly normal list worked pretty well. Yeah, hull points mean chimeras can't just sit and live though stun locks but I never relied on that since I always assumed my tanks would get blown up. At least now I never feel compelled to hop out to shoot since stunning so rarely happens.

Mikael Kreoss
Feb 13, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Fuegan posted:

I saw that list a couple of days ago. I really hope retarded poo poo like that is fixed in the FAQ.

This is Games Workshop we're talking about here, right?

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Fuegan posted:

I think it is bad arse as all gently caress.

Convert some human slaves for the grots, dude with a gas mask and whips and poo poo. Sacrificial lambs for nurgle to test his diseases on. Fluffy as hell.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Fuegan posted:

It's a fun list but super risky. If you read the battle report he posted you will see it's very susceptible to not getting your preferred wave. I don't think it needs to be FAQ'd to be honest.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

That's fair enough. It just comes across as a blatant abuse of the rules as intended which could be fun for the person using it but that might not be the case for the person on the opposite side of the table. How much that matters is a matter of opinion I guess.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

ghetto wormhole posted:

So yeah who's this about?

I clarified above but I'm not saying that was an actual thing, just that it reads that way - you have stuff like random SM Chapters not liking random Xenos that the other SM do, or DA being buddies with Orks or whatever, and then on the other end of the scale Tyranids get nothing and DE have loving terrible allies charts. It seems pretty schizophrenic.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Naramyth posted:

His fliers finally came in on turn 3 but were shot out of the sky by my out flanking vendettas

Vendettas can out flank? Or is this some special thing with flyers and deepstrike?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

They have the Scouts rule.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Lungboy posted:

Did the Talos or Chronos improve in 6th, or are they still pretty poo poo?

Quoting this in case it got lost on the last page.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

BadLlama posted:

Vendettas can out flank? Or is this some special thing with flyers and deepstrike?

they have scout

Edit: gently caress!

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

BadLlama posted:

Infiltrate and Scout both let you outflank.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Wazdakka makes Vendettas troops

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Lungboy posted:

Quoting this in case it got lost on the last page.

Yes, because MCs got better in general and longer charge potential negates some of the 'slow alien in a fast alien's world' aspect to them.

No, because now they compete with Razorwings as well as Ravagers.

e: Phyresis, does Telion give them Stealth?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Sorry for more Dark Eldar chat, but D&D fell through tonight so I'm going to get in my second game in as many nights. Playing another Marine player who's a lot better of a tactician, this is what I've got so far:

code:
+++ DE vs Jack (1247pts) +++
+++ 1250pt Dark Eldar 5th Ed (2010) Roster (Standard) +++

+ HQ + (115pts)
    * Archon (115pts) 
        (Fleet, Independent Character, Night Vision, Power from Pain)
        Agoniser (20pts), Clonefield (20pts), Soul-trap (10pts), Venom Blade (5pts)

+ Elites + (283pts)
    * Incubi (283pts) 
        9x Incubi (198pts) (Fleet, Night Vision, Power from Pain), Klaive
        * Klavex (25pts) 
            Murderous Assault (10pts) (Murderous Assault)
        * Raider (60pts) 
            Dark Lance

+ Troops + (724pts)
    * Kabalite Warriors (165pts) 
        * Raider (70pts) 
            Dark Lance, Splinter Racks (10pts)
        * 10x Warriors (95pts) 
            (Fleet, Night Vision, Power from Pain)
            Shredder (5pts)

* Kabalite Warriors (160pts) 
        10x Warriors (90pts) (Fleet, Night Vision, Power from Pain)
        * Raider (70pts) 
            Dark Lance, Splinter Racks (10pts)

* Wyches (115pts) 
        Shardnet and Impaler (10pts), 5x Wyches (50pts) (Dodge, Fleet, Night Vision, Power from Pain)
        * Venom (55pts) 
            Flickerfield, Twin Linked Splinter Rifles

* Wyches (142pts) 
        Shardnet and Impaler (10pts)
        * Raider (60pts) 
            Dark Lance
        * 6x Wyches (72pts) 
            (Dodge, Fleet, Night Vision, Power from Pain)
            6x Haywire grenades (12pts)

* Wyches (142pts) 
        Shardnet and Impaler (10pts)
        * Raider (60pts) 
            Dark Lance
        * 6x Wyches (72pts) 
            (Dodge, Fleet, Night Vision, Power from Pain)
            6x Haywire grenades (12pts)

+ Fast Attack + (125pts)
    * Scourges (125pts) 
        Ghostplate Armour, Plasma Grenades
        * 5x Scourge (125pts) 
            (Fleet, Night Vision, Power from Pain)
            Blaster (15pts), 2x Shardcarbine

Created with BattleScribe ([url]http://www.battlescribe.net[/url])
How does this look? I've got 12 Reavers I can use as well, 5 Wracks and another 10 troopers plus 1 more Raider if I need to swap stuff out. He's well aware what Dark Lances can do to vehicles, so even though his Land Raider wasn't touched in the last game he's told me (not that I fully believe him, he's crafty!) he's not going to bring any more armor to our games - but I think he might be thinking flyers, which I know nothing about.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Corrode posted:

I clarified above

Whoops missed that!

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Cassa posted:

Infiltrate and Scout both let you outflank.

Wow I do not know how I or anyone I play with never caught this yet. Vendettas just became even more awesome.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Corrode posted:

e: Phyresis, does Telion give them Stealth?

only because he has a camo cloak now

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Phyresis posted:

What the poo poo is this? :psyduck: Do Blood Axes not exist or something? IT'S IN THEIR loving CODEX. Not to mention the even fluffier option of Komandeering a large amount of Imperial Guard gear and vehicles and Orking them up.
Even better, these people saying this aren't old school enough, it was perfectly normal to see Orks with Guard in Rogue Trader era. :smugbert: Basically, everyone into the hobby from 3rd/4th (the MAXIMUM GRIMDARK AGE) thinks nothing should co-exist, when them co-existing is actually going back to 40k roots - There's even a Marine model with a Shuriken Catapult!

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Reading the BoLS article today about what seems good for Necrons in 6th got me a little more excited for Deathmarks again. My friend tried convincing me the other day how strong they will probably be in this edition. I wasn't really sold until I read the article and I think I might try them out today.

Also, they suggest Gauss over Tesla on Immortals now. Another thing I agree on since the Tesla Carbine can not match Gauss at the 0-12 range unless over half the squad rolls a 6. And even than you are losing the ability to hurt vehicles. Tesla Carbines only seem to outshine Gauss at the 13-24 range and when only shooting at infantry.

Commandante
Oct 1, 2009

Cataphract posted:

Imperial Armour Books

Elysian Drop Troop army list from Raid on Kastorel Novem is so badass. I would love to field a drop troop army. Most of the Guard units in the army lists are on average 10+pts more expensive but they are a bit better.

More importantly, the Tauros buggies are pretty cool looking, have really sweet options and their special rules are interesting as well.

My favourite unit in that book is the Long Range Ground Scanner, which at the start of the game you can choose between Long and Short range rules.

Long range screws with infiltrators, short range basically gives any guard unit within 12" get a re-roll of missed shots on a 4+, if the unit has a vox then the range is unlimited.

Whenever I think of Elysian army units I :fap:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I have 4-5 extra guardsmen floating around, should I just keep them in reserve for when others break or turn them into another platoon command squad? I've got the squads to spare to make another platoon, since my one platoon is maxed out anyways on normal squads and heavy weapons teams.

Commandante
Oct 1, 2009

Minion of Cthulhu posted:

I have 4-5 extra guardsmen floating around, should I just keep them in reserve for when others break or turn them into another platoon command squad? I've got the squads to spare to make another platoon, since my one platoon is maxed out anyways on normal squads and heavy weapons teams.

If you haven't filled your HQ slots make another CCS out of them?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Commandante posted:

If you haven't filled your HQ slots make another CCS out of them?

I hadn't even considered that! Make one CCS the warlord and have the other tag along with the assault force throwing out orders/special weapons fire. Thanks :)

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Commandante posted:

Elysian Drop Troop army list from Raid on Kastorel Novem is so badass. I would love to field a drop troop army. Most of the Guard units in the army lists are on average 10+pts more expensive but they are a bit better.

More importantly, the Tauros buggies are pretty cool looking, have really sweet options and their special rules are interesting as well.

My favourite unit in that book is the Long Range Ground Scanner, which at the start of the game you can choose between Long and Short range rules.

Long range screws with infiltrators, short range basically gives any guard unit within 12" get a re-roll of missed shots on a 4+, if the unit has a vox then the range is unlimited.

Whenever I think of Elysian army units I :fap:

I call this the "gently caress my wallet" list:

code:
+ HQ + (80pts)

* Elysian Company Command Squad (80pts) 
        * 2 Veterans & Heavy Weapon Team
            2x Lasgun, Missile launcher
        * Company Commander
            Close Combat Weapon, Homing beacon, Laspistol

+ Elites + (205pts)

* Drop Sentinel Squadron (105pts) 
        * Drop Sentinel
            Heavy flamer
        * Drop Sentinel
            Heavy flamer
        * Drop Sentinel
            Heavy flamer

* Drop Sentinel Squadron (50pts) 
        * Drop Sentinel
            Multi-melta

* Drop Sentinel Squadron (50pts) 
        * Drop Sentinel
            Multi-melta

+ Troops + (1000pts)

* Elysian Veteran Squad (250pts) 
        3x Melta gun, 6x Shotgun
        * Sergeant
            Power weapon, Shotgun
        * Valkyrie Airborne Assault Carrier
            Multilaser, Two multiple rocket pods

3x Melta gun, 6x Shotgun
        * Sergeant
            Power weapon, Shotgun

3x Melta gun, 6x Shotgun
        * Sergeant
            Power weapon, Shotgun

3x Melta gun, 6x Shotgun
        * Sergeant
            Power weapon, Shotgun

+ Fast Attack + (400pts)

* Tauros Venator Squadron (140pts) 
        * Tauros Venator
            Homing beacon, Twin-linked multi-laser
        * Tauros Venator
            Homing beacon, Twin-linked multi-laser

* Vendetta Gunship Squadron (130pts) 
        * Vendetta
            Twin-linked lascannon, Two twin-linked lascannons

* Vendetta Gunship Squadron (130pts) 
        * Vendetta
            Twin-linked lascannon, Two twin-linked lascannons

+ Heavy Support + (310pts)

* Vulture Gunship (155pts) 
        Twin-linked Punisher Cannon

* Vulture Gunship (155pts) 
        Twin-linked Punisher Cannon

The issue is the 6th ed. "gotta have stuff on the table at the end of turn 1" when I'd have the two venators and the CCS. On the other hand, 8 flyers.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
The big problem with Elysians is a) no Astropath (why the gently caress did they do that for a deep striking army?) and b) CCS/PCS are limited to one special weapon only.

If they could take an astropath and if they could load up their CCS/PCS with melta or plasma, they'd be amazing instead of just really good.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Where are rules found for these guys? Are there special rules out there for stuff like Death Korps? Trying something besides basic guard would be a fun time I think.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Hey, Sisters are ready for frontline duty from the age of 14, and they have BS 4, leave the kids out of it.

Also, I am looking to buy issue 379 of White Dwarf, August 2011, anyone got one they are willing to let go of?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

BadLlama posted:

Where are rules found for these guys? Are there special rules out there for stuff like Death Korps? Trying something besides basic guard would be a fun time I think.

Probably in the Imperial Armor books. I think someone listed all of them within the last page or 3

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 25, 2012

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Here's a comedy list from dakka:

While this will wreck any footslogging list, it's way too reliant on the screamers for anti-vehicle duty. There are other ways to do similar a similar thing without it having Comedy written on it with a capital C.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

BadLlama posted:

Wow I do not know how I or anyone I play with never caught this yet. Vendettas just became even more awesome.

I only discovered because my opponent In my last 5th Ed tournament was dumbfounded my genestealers weren't outflanking, he then helpfully informed me that infiltrate does indeed let you outflank.

This information was helpfully presented in a single paragraph, right at the end of the softcover 5th Ed rule book, and not mentioned anywhere else that I could find.

Hire a better index writer GW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Yeah, Vendettas are great because they can come on from either of your opponent's back corners. It doesn't really matter which: you'll be able to get side or rear shots on something decent/relevant right away but as I said earlier, it exposes their rear armor really early in the game.

• Locked thread