Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

I know it's supposed to do that but it has never, ever restored that for me, even when I restored everything from the same ROM to the same ROM (when you've had a G2x you do a lot of restoring across identical devices). Not once has it ever worked for me. I use SMS Backup & Restore and Call Log Backup & Restore just because every time I've tried to use Titanium to do it it's failed.

They have a new feature to do it, it's in the (godawful) menu, called something like Export to .xml... that does it the same way the apps above do it, but as I said there's no way to automate that within Titanium.

Fair enough, I've had no issues. You obviously do have to specifically restore those two apps since you don't want to restore every random system app, things can get screwy. But hey, I'm pretty sure you've been posting in the Android threads long enough to know that.

I remember it being a lot less reliable on my Desire which I always assumed was due to some HTC bullshit. On my GSM GNex it seems to work fine at least. No idea! The other two apps you mention are good options anyway and do give you finer control over the backups/restores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

Fair enough, I've had no issues. You obviously do have to specifically restore those two apps since you don't want to restore every random system app, things can get screwy. But hey, I'm pretty sure you've been posting in the Android threads long enough to know that.

I remember it being a lot less reliable on my Desire which I always assumed was due to some HTC bullshit. On my GSM GNex it seems to work fine at least. No idea! The other two apps you mention are good options anyway and do give you finer control over the backups/restores.
Honestly it may have gotten better since the last time I had problems with it. If you're saying it works now it probably does, I haven't tried it since I had the G2x I was dealing with. I'll get bored one day and try it just to see what happens but I trust that you're probably correct.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

golgo13sf posted:

If you can't beat the game without IAP (or it's incredibly difficult to do so) then that is lovely and they should be ostracized for it. Extra levels are kosher as far as I'm concerned.
I've been playing Dead Trigger a bit without IAP and it's definitely do-able. The game is pretty high quality (basically a Killing Floor/L4D ripoff with impressive-for-a-phone-game graphics) and I've definitely got more than $1 worth out of it.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Anyone else having issues authenticating to the Amazon AppStore? I am able to log into Kindle fine, and I can log into my account via web fine, so it's not a problem with my account or the phone specifically.

fnkels
Aug 17, 2004
I think this has been discussed before, but I checked the last couple pages and didn't see anything.

What is everyone using as a .pdf viewer? I've been trying the Kindle app and the stock viewer on my tablet, but haven't tried Adobe's reader yet. I notice that flipping through pages, some times it will stall with a "loading" message. I vaguely recall that being the nature of pdfs on Android.

Also what are some good ebook readers for .epub and .mobi file formats?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Aldiko for eBooks.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

fnkels posted:

I've just been sticking with the nook app. You can load books into the /sd-card/nook/my documents folder

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

fnkels posted:

Moon+ Reader for ePub. I'm not sure anything but the Amazon app can read Mobi though.

edit: I lied, there's a few that handle Mobi. FBReader perhaps?

Vykk.Draygo fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 24, 2012

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum

jakeledel posted:

I've gone through a bunch of these apps and I like Yahoo! Sportacular.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.protrade.sportacular&hl=en

THIS.

This man is my hero. It even has widgets, (I know I wasn't looking for them) that you can add for each team!

which is awesome, except that I get to sit there and be reminded about Georgias loss until their first game :argh:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

fnkels posted:

What is everyone using as a .pdf viewer? I've been trying the Kindle app and the stock viewer on my tablet, but haven't tried Adobe's reader yet. I notice that flipping through pages, some times it will stall with a "loading" message. I vaguely recall that being the nature of pdfs on Android.

EZpdf.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Regarding the IAP discussion,

What do you guys think about games that are demos (as in let you play the first level or two) and have an IAP to unlock the full game instead of having Game and Game Lite as separate downloads in the market place?

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

Lowen SoDium posted:

What do you guys think about games that are demos (as in let you play the first level or two) and have an IAP to unlock the full game instead of having Game and Game Lite as separate downloads in the market place?

I'd prefer the game and game lite way of doing it.

For one, it gives me a way to get a refund within 15 minutes if the app doesn't work correctly.

edit:
I recently had a huge problem with IAP.
Someone sent me a link to Word Lens Lite a while back. I installed it and realized you had to IAP a language dictionary for the app to actually work. That's fine, I thought to myself. So I purchased the French dictionary. Then, after the purchase, I noticed there was a full version of the app for $4.99 (the price of a language pack) but the full version came with a free language pack. So here I am, stuck with the lite version of the app. So, I decided I would go ahead and install the full version anyway and just pick the Spanish dictionary so I'd have both the French and Spanish. There is a button inside the app that says "restore in app purchases" which I thought would carry over my French dictionary to the full version of the app. Nope. I was wrong. So here I am with the lite version installed with the French dictionary and the full version installed with the Spanish dictionary and no way of getting both into one app. This is why I hate in app purchases. They are clumsy and you can't automatically get a refund.

In the end, I contacted the developer and was able to get a refund on the one language pack and everything worked out.

IT Guy fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jul 25, 2012

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lowen SoDium posted:

I don't mind this but I wish people would list the IAP costs and content on the store. The "Best Free" and similar tabs on the store are worthless becuase they are all freemium and IAP unlocked games that aren't actually free at all.

Actually I wish the market just listed all IAPs by default but hey it's Google so don't get your hopes up.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Lowen SoDium posted:

I really hate this. IAP (if it should exist at all) is really something that should be reserved for optional, à la carte add-on purchases, not "pay here to unlock the full game" type poo poo.

Let's put it this way. If you're developing an app/game with the intention for it to be a paid app/game, then sell it as such, maybe offering a "lite" version also. Don't list it as "free" with a giant ugly IAP to unlock 75% of the content. It's inconsistent and confusing, and frankly annoying.

Like Tunga pointed out, your game/app isn't free, only the demo is. Yet it'll be listed in the "Free Apps" list and not the paid one. It does't matter how large of a warning you have that says "75% of content unlocked by $2 IAP" or whatever, it's still inconsistent. Yet everyone knows what's up when they see two versions of an app/game in the Play search results, a $2 regular version, and a free "lite" version.

It's a bit different if the sales model is such that the entire game/app is intended to be released for free, with sales recouped from optional à la carte IAP purcahses, like add-on levels, or gratuitious skins, or whatever. Even here I personally prefer to pick up a (perhaps more expensive) Paid version with everything unlocked. But Free+IAP makes sense, becuase each individual IAP doesn't represent the majority of context, but are merely "little extras".

Edit: To clarify, I personally dislike IAPs and literally only browse the Paid section, willing to spend more to get something where everything's unlocked. You can do whatever you want with the Free/Fremium version, I'll ignore that, just don't ignore the market of folks who actually look for Paid stuff.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 25, 2012

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

IT Guy posted:

I'd prefer the game and game lite way of doing it.

For one, it gives me a way to get a refund within 15 minutes if the app doesn't work correctly.

I hadn't thought about that angle, but it is a good point.

Tunga posted:

I don't mind this but I wish people would list the IAP costs and content on the store. The "Best Free" and similar tabs on the store are worthless becuase they are all freemium and IAP unlocked games that aren't actually free at all.

Actually I wish the market just listed all IAPs by default but hey it's Google so don't get your hopes up.

Yeah, if I was going to make a game that unlocked the full version through an IAP, I would be upfront about it in the description, including the cost and the limitations of the game or app if it was not unlocked. I want it to be clear to the user what it is that they are downloading. I am not interested in making a Freemium game. I consider most of them to be complete garbage.

The reason I am considering this is because it allows the user to carry over progress from the demo version of the game to the full version of the game with out relying on saving info on the SD card. It also allows for patches and updates to effectively update both your demo and full version with a single push.

Basically, it just seems to me that if you do IAP right, you can make things easier for your users and easier for yourself. And I think you get more user who are willing to support you if you treat them well instead of treating them like thieves or treating them like idiots by trying to trick them in to buying your app or what ever.

I would rather make a little money by being honest than make a lot by being shady.

edit: For some clarification, I am developing a game right now in my spare time that I am probably going to release completely free because I don't really think it's worth paying for and I would rather see it played by more people than make money off of it. But I am collaborating with a friend for another game that I think has more mass appeal that we will probably do some kind of demo and $1-2 full version. I just wanted some feed back on how people felt about IAP as an unlock method.

Lowen SoDium fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jul 25, 2012

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Lowen SoDium posted:

The reason I am considering this is because it allows the user to carry over progress from the demo version of the game to the full version of the game with out relying on saving info on the SD card.
If the Paid and Lite versions are signed with the same certificate, can't you just use a one-time intent to migrate any useful data form the Lite version to the Paid one?

Lowen SoDium posted:

It also allows for patches and updates to effectively update both your demo and full version with a single push.
Are you expecting users to have both versions installed long term?

Edit:

Lowen SoDium posted:

Basically, it just seems to me that if you do IAP right, you can make things easier for your users and easier for yourself.
Doing "IAP right" isn't about making thing easy, it's about using them in a sales model for which IAP is solely appropriate. Otherwise you're using IAP as (an inconvenient) workaround for problems (e.g., data migration between Lite and Paid versions) for which there's better solutions.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Like Tunga pointed out, your game/app isn't free, only the demo is. Yet it'll be listed in the "Free Apps" list and not the paid one. It does't matter how large of a warning you have that says "75% of content unlocked by $2 IAP" or whatever, it's still inconsistent. Yet everyone knows what's up when they see two versions of an app/game in the Play search results, a $2 regular version, and a free "lite" version.

This was the big shitstorm over "Jazz: Trump's Journey", because it looks like a great game and it appeared to be free, except for the completely unmentioned IAP to unlock the rest of the game a level or two in, sprung as a "Gotcha!".

The only way to see it coming (besides a high cynicism baseline :rolleyes:) was to read through all the comments on the Play page, as a few of them were big rants about it. If the publisher had been up front about it and mentioned it at all on the Play page, it wouldn't have gotten poo poo on nearly so badly.

Nobody but nobody likes feeling like someone's trying to trick them, and most people are already worried about that when shopping in the first place.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

ExcessBLarg! posted:

If the Paid and Lite versions are signed with the same certificate, can't you just use a one-time intent to migrate any useful data form the Lite version to the Paid one?
Possibly. To tell the truth, I am not a very good developer and I am still learning a lot of this. But I had assumed that it wasn't possible or was difficult to implement since I haven't seen many apps bring data over from a lite version in to the full version. I guess this could be chalked up to developer laziness.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Are you expecting users to have both versions installed long term?

I didn't mean a single push to update both version for a single user. I meant a single update would effectively update the program for any user regardless of if they were a demo user or a full version user. This was about making it easier for me as a developer to maintain a single version.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Doing "IAP right" isn't about making thing easy, it's about using them in a sales model for which IAP is solely appropriate. Otherwise you're using IAP as (an inconvenient) workaround for problems (e.g., data migration between Lite and Paid versions) for which there's better solutions.

While you could be right there there are better solutions for data migration (I will research this farther), I personally don't consider IAP to be inconvenient. Especially when compared to some thing like:

User installs Demo or Lite version
User like app/game and wants to buy full version
User goes to Play Store to buy full version
User has to uninstall lite version
If the developer didn't include some way to bring over data, User has to reconfigure app or start over on game progress.

Where as with an IAP unlock model

User installs Demo or Lite version
User like app/game and wants to buy full version
User unlocks full version using IAP

It seems easier and more convenient in my mind, but I wanted to know how other people felt about the concept.

You all are raising some good points that I hadn't considered.

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.
One of the biggest concerns about IAP is that there is no way to know if it's something that will be tied to your Google account or not. If my phone gets replaced tomorrow, will that IAP transfer over or am I just going to have to buy the upgrade again? If I buy an app off the market I know that purchase will transfer over but there is a lot less transparency with IAP.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
IAP should be optional content. If it isn't optional, make it a paid app.

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005
Android is great about integrating my Outlook email and calendar, but I can't seem to get my notes to sync. Is this possible at all? Do I need a specific app to get them?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Cruseydr posted:

One of the biggest concerns about IAP is that there is no way to know if it's something that will be tied to your Google account or not. If my phone gets replaced tomorrow, will that IAP transfer over or am I just going to have to buy the upgrade again? If I buy an app off the market I know that purchase will transfer over but there is a lot less transparency with IAP.
If you can get it back, there should be an option to restore it. In TripleTown there is an option to restore unlimited turns. In Nonomatic there's an option to restore all the puzzle packs you've bought.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Lowen SoDium posted:

To tell the truth, I am not a very good developer and I am still learning a lot of this.
It's alright, learning is good. Check the Android Developers pages on Sharing Content, namely Sending Content to Other Apps and Receiving Content from Other Apps.

If the amount of data you have to transfer is small, you can probably just serialize it and shove it in the intent's EXTRA_STREAM field. If the amount is large, it looks like the best way (although I'm not completely certain) is to have the demo app write it to a MODE_WORLD_READABLE file and send an intent with a URI to that file to the paid app.

I'm sure this topic has come up on Stack Overflow before. It might also be worth asking in the Android Development megathread in the CoC subforum.

Lowen SoDium posted:

I didn't mean a single push to update both version for a single user. I meant a single update would effectively update the program for any user regardless of if they were a demo user or a full version user. This was about making it easier for me as a developer to maintain a single version.
Codewise the free/paid portions of your app should be well enough abstracted that bug fixes can be made to one codebase. Just have the build process scripted such that it generates updates to both the free/paid versions and upload them both. Shouldn't be too much trouble.

I can't imagine that IAP in this fashion is necessarily easier for users. They should be alright as long as you do provide a data migration path.

Also, in general, in the tradeoff of "making easier for developers" and "making palatable for users" you're better off making things better for users if it means making it marginally harder for yourself.

You can also do both the Free/IAP and Paid route. But unless you're doing IAP for other reasons I'd avoid them entirely. I'm also not certain how difficult IAP is to implement for developers, I imagine it can't be much easier than the aforementioned data migration method.

Edit: Whatever you do don't use Sticky Broadcasts. It's a gaping security hole and astute folks will rip you apart in reviews for it.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Aren't IAPs only linked to a single device? I'd hate to upgrade my phone and lose access to an app I 'paid for' just because I'm on new hardware.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

spincube posted:

Aren't IAPs only linked to a single device? I'd hate to upgrade my phone and lose access to an app I 'paid for' just because I'm on new hardware.

Depends entirely on the developer. Some are tied to a single specific device, some to a single install (ie if you just wipe your local data it's gone forever), some to a single non-specific device (ie you can move the install from one device to another, but only ever have one device "activated"), and some (the only good ones) are tied to your Play account so they're there no matter what you're using today.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
So Google made it easier for developers to take my money, but I've no way of telling how persistent my purchase would be.

:cripes:

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

spincube posted:

So Google made it easier for developers to take my money, but I've no way of telling how persistent my purchase would be.

:cripes:
Before you buy anything, check to see if there's an option to restore purchased things. If it's there, that means you can get them back. If not, then it's just for that particular install. Things like in-game currency won't be restorable because there's not really a good way to do that.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
You'd think that billing directly using Google Wallet would be a good work-around for consumable DLC, and leave IAPs as a more permanent purchase. Like the Valve (and iTunes?) model.

Believe me, I don't have a problem with IAPs, DLCs or other TLAs, so long as it's clear from the outset what you're purchasing and for how long. The no-ads IAP for Words With Friends, for example, doesn't specify which category it falls into, it just promises 'the best Words With Friends experience'. The T&Cs are about as useful as you'd expect, too.

Why not make it like any other permission, with a brief description of the IAPs required on the store page? Similar to how you can weed out the lovely devs that don't explain why they need to read your SMS' and call log from their picture frame app, for example.

[edit] I realise I'm on the verge of getting frustrated about Google's half-cocked attempts at running a virtual shopfront again.

quote:

the portion of the app data that Google backs up to the cloud.

Another half-baked idea that's completely opaque to the end-user... :cripes:

spincube fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 25, 2012

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Things like in-game currency won't be restorable because there's not really a good way to do that.

Sure there is, you just track how much an account has remotely. Since they can't buy anything with it without being online usually, easy to track. Or you store it, encrypted, in the portion of the app data that Google backs up to the cloud.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

Sure there is, you just track how much an account has remotely. Since they can't buy anything with it without being online usually, easy to track. Or you store it, encrypted, in the portion of the app data that Google backs up to the cloud.

That's the best way to do it, and that's how Draw Something does it, but there are extra considerations when running it on multiple devices. Most of the time when you buy currency it just adds to a number in an SQLite table or XML file.

Denzalo
Mar 2, 2004

Some things just aren't worth dying for!!!
I'm switching to a different carrier and I'm either going to port my number I've had for 10 years to the new carrier (Sprint) or I'm going to port the number to Google Voice.

I've read some web articles about the pros and cons of porting your primary number to Google Voice but they are all over a year old from the time when the feature was rolled out.

What do you think? Should I switch my primary number to GV? Pros and cons?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

If you use MMS and/or shortcodes extensively, then GV porting is going to be a problem. Otherwise, once it's set up, it's pretty seamless, AFAIK.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Splizwarf posted:

Sure there is, you just track how much an account has remotely.
Seems to me that in the currency model you definitely should be doing this, otherwise it's a rampant opportunity for abuse.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Most of the time when you buy currency it just adds to a number in an SQLite table or XML file.
Yup, rampant abuse.

Denzalo posted:

Should I switch my primary number to GV? Pros and cons?
One of the main advantages of porting your number to GV is so you can get free SMS. However, since the Sprint Everything Data plans include unlimited SMS anyways, the only real benefit to doing that is if you wanted to get SMS on your computer or something.

The other main advantage of porting your number to GV is the free voicemail transcription. But I think you can get that if you port your number to Sprint, then do the GV integration that Sprint offers.

The downsides is that GV MMS support is basically non-existent. Also, if you port your number to GV, you won't get free any mobile calls (I think?) if you use the GV dialout number. Of course, you can call folks directly, but then your Sprint number shows up.

Unless you're looking to port to GV for the ability to do fast carrier swaps, or so that you can forward to multiple devices, I'd probably just port the number to Sprint.

Mind you, you can (and I recommend) port your number to the Sprint line anytime after it's activated. That might be a good thing to do so you can make sure your new service works well and you're happy with it before you take the porting plunge.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The other main advantage of porting your number to GV is the free voicemail transcription. But I think you can get that if you port your number to Sprint, then do the GV integration that Sprint offers.
You can do this without porting. I have a Verizon number but all of my voicemail goes to Google Voice.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Denzalo posted:

I'm switching to a different carrier and I'm either going to port my number I've had for 10 years to the new carrier (Sprint) or I'm going to port the number to Google Voice.

I've read some web articles about the pros and cons of porting your primary number to Google Voice but they are all over a year old from the time when the feature was rolled out.

What do you think? Should I switch my primary number to GV? Pros and cons?

Port your number to Sprint and use the native Google Voice integration with Sprint. If you get an MMS will come as a normal text message from Sprint and your voice mail and call screening go through Google Voice. This is the one feature I'm going to miss with moving from Sprint. Also, if you don't like the Google Voice integration you can just turn it off. The only negative is no one at Sprint knows about this so if there is a problem you are on your own.

vonManstein
Nov 5, 2006
In other news, the "Beaver" browser, everyone's favourite browser for porn kitten pictures, has been renamed to Frost - Private Browser.

Much more discreet for third parties that play with the phone, and continues to be great for those hard core kitty viewing sessions.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Pretty sure putting "Private" in the name makes that a step sideways instead of forward. :v:

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

Does anyone know of a good directory lister for Android? I need something like an Android version of Karen's Directory Printer or DirPrinter.

Basically I want a list of my Music folder's structure.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

edit; :downswords:

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jul 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

vonManstein posted:

In other news, the "Beaver" browser, everyone's favourite browser for porn kitten pictures, has been renamed to Frost - Private Browser.

Much more discreet for third parties that play with the phone, and continues to be great for those hard core kitty viewing sessions.

Wow this is great, my dad will love this!!!

• Locked thread