Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

IT Guy posted:

Speaking of upgrading, I had a hell of a time doing the web upgrade last time, what browsers are known to work with the web upgrade?

I forgot to post about this but I recently performed a web upgrade using FF13 on Win8 Developer Preview without any issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?
I'm doing a web upgrade from 8.0.4 now with Chrome on Mac and that part went well, just waiting for it to come back from reboot now.

edit: done!

Gism0 fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jul 23, 2012

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

hotsauce posted:

I have an ancient HP Mediasmart EX487 server that I haven't used in over two years. I fired it back up today so I can get my old files (obviously not important at all) off of it so I can get rid of it.

I cannot, for the life of me, connect to it. I connected it to my laptop via ethernet, used remote desktop to log-in and I don't seem to remember the name of the server. Tried Admin, Administrator, and two names I'm positive I assigned to it. No dice. I also installed the Home Server Connector software and it never found it (even when connected to my router). Not once have I found it on any network search on my computer. I tried to find it by typing in random addresses (192.168.1.12, etc) but no dice. I rebooted the server and my laptop a few times in the process just in case. Nothing.

It's as if it doesn't exist.

Anyone have a tip as to how to find this thing on my network/RDC so I can access then wipe?

I don't know what OS you've got on the computer you've got access to, but you should be able to do something similar to what I'm about to suggest on any OS. Ping the broadcast address for your network, first. Most routers are going to be on a /24 subnet (mask of 255.255.255.0), so you'll want to ping 192.168.1.255 or 10.0.0.255 or whatever the highest IP in your subnet is. That should cause every addressable device to send a ping reply, though you may not see them. Then open a command prompt or terminal, and run "arp -a" to see a list of every IP your computer can resolve to a MAC address. Dig through those and try connecting to everything on your subnet. If you don't find the computer that way, it either isn't on that subnet, or doesn't have a connection at all. Good luck!

Hiyoshi
Jun 27, 2003

The jig is up!

G-Prime posted:

I don't know what OS you've got on the computer you've got access to, but you should be able to do something similar to what I'm about to suggest on any OS. Ping the broadcast address for your network, first. Most routers are going to be on a /24 subnet (mask of 255.255.255.0), so you'll want to ping 192.168.1.255 or 10.0.0.255 or whatever the highest IP in your subnet is. That should cause every addressable device to send a ping reply, though you may not see them. Then open a command prompt or terminal, and run "arp -a" to see a list of every IP your computer can resolve to a MAC address. Dig through those and try connecting to everything on your subnet. If you don't find the computer that way, it either isn't on that subnet, or doesn't have a connection at all. Good luck!

Why have I never heard this before? This is awesome.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Hiyoshi posted:

Why have I never heard this before? This is awesome.

It's not something that comes up often. I work for an ISP and we had sent a switch out to a site, the tech connected it, and left. The next day, we realized nobody had tested to see if we had management to its IP. Then we realized that the engineer who had configured it forgotten to write down which IP he used out of a /24. Options came down to installing NMAP, blindly guessing, or ping/arp. We went with the easy one. It's just little tricks like this that make working in a networking field worth while.

Maniaman
Mar 3, 2006
I'm going to have to remember that. There's been many a time when I have forgotten to write down static IP assignments on a device and then realized a few months later that I either don't remember its address, never wrote it down, or lost the paper/file it was on.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

G-Prime posted:

It's not something that comes up often. I work for an ISP and we had sent a switch out to a site, the tech connected it, and left. The next day, we realized nobody had tested to see if we had management to its IP. Then we realized that the engineer who had configured it forgotten to write down which IP he used out of a /24. Options came down to installing NMAP, blindly guessing, or ping/arp. We went with the easy one. It's just little tricks like this that make working in a networking field worth while.

You learn something new everyday! Had to bust out NMAP the other day as I couldn't find the ip of a remote switch.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Some of my customers thought I was insane with labeling every last loving thing I deployed, but I still get emails from ex coworkers telling me basically "oh god thank you the documentation is a mangled loving mess I love your stupid labels so much"

luigionlsd
Jan 9, 2006

i dont know what this is i think its some kind of nazi giraffe or nazi mountains or something i dont know
Never mind I'm a dummy. Synology had a calculator thing on their website.

luigionlsd fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 24, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Tom's Hardware has a review of the WD Red drives:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/red-wd20efrx-wd30efrx-nas,3248.html

TL;DR: They're pretty slow but they run way cooler and use less power than the rest of the drives out there.

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 24, 2012

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Bob Morales posted:

TL;DR: They're pretty slow but they run way cooler and use less power than the rest of the drives out there.

The only thing they're poor at is transferring lots of small files. Most of us cram our NAS's full of mp3's, photos, and movies, in which case, the drive does just fine, and will not be the bottleneck on a gig network connection. I'm hoping to pick up a pair of 3TB reds when the prices come down a bit more.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

They're slow at random stuff, but in sequential they're the fastest 5400 RPM drives tested:

I assume that's almost entirely due to platter density.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Bring back 5.25" drives!

kalicki
Jan 5, 2004

Every King needs his jester

DNova posted:

Bring back 5.25" drives!

It's not like I need the four 5.25" bays in this tower for, well, anything else really.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
I did some research and started getting my gear sorted. I'm currently resilvering new drive 3 of 4. I thought I remembered hot swapping the drives previously - pull one out, slap a replacement in, and everything worked automagically from there. No this time! After some aborted attempts, it seems the easiest way is to bring the next drive to be swapped offline, do the hardware swap, do a `zpool replace` with the new drive and wait for the resilvering to finish. iostat -En tells you which logical name corresponds with which serial number so I wrote down which serial number was physically in which position before I turned the machine on.

It looks like I should be able to export the pool, install a new operating system, and import the pool again without any trouble. Upgrading versions for the filesystem seems pretty simple too, and can be done in place.

Everytime I play with zfs I'm a little trepid - I'm inexperienced and I usually learn best by making mistakes and I don't really want to make mistakes with my server. However, with a little reading and careful commands, it usually just works. Want to replace drive with larger capacity ones? Want to upgrade? Want to do whatever? It just works.

Hopefully by this time tomorrow I'll have the last drive installed and should have the larger pool which has me a bit excited! I'll probably give it a couple weeks before dinking around with the OS, but everything so far has been easy.

EDIT: I didn't buy the red drives though :ohdear: Am I going to regret this?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I never knew about iostat -En to see serial numnbers, except it doesn't work for me. It says Serial Number: and then nothing. cfgadm -alv seems to work, and SMARTD works well enough, though I have to massage it to read the disks that aren't on my SAS controller.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Sure wish they'd have compared them to the WD EARS/EARX series instead of some of those drives that I'd never put in a home NAS anyway.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Telex posted:

Sure wish they'd have compared them to the WD EARS/EARX series instead of some of those drives that I'd never put in a home NAS anyway.

I would assume the WD30EZRX probably performs pretty similar as the EARS/EARX (note: I didn't look up any specs, basic assumption).

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

I never knew about iostat -En to see serial numnbers, except it doesn't work for me. It says Serial Number: and then nothing. cfgadm -alv seems to work, and SMARTD works well enough, though I have to massage it to read the disks that aren't on my SAS controller.

It only shows the first 6 or so digits printed on the label so it's enough to ID the old drives.

I'm not as sure about the new drives because, for better or worse, the serial numbers span about a thousand #s so the first few digits are the same.

don't gently caress me again WD... :tinfoil:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Delta-Wye posted:

It only shows the first 6 or so digits printed on the label so it's enough to ID the old drives.

I'm not as sure about the new drives because, for better or worse, the serial numbers span about a thousand #s so the first few digits are the same.

don't gently caress me again WD... :tinfoil:

For me it just shows nothing, and even if it was a few digits, that wouldn't help me as the first 15 or so digits of my Samsung drives are the same.
code:
c7t0d0           Soft Errors: 0 Hard Errors: 0 Transport Errors: 0 
Vendor: ATA      Product: SAMSUNG HD154UI  Revision: 1118 Serial No:  
Size: 1500.30GB <1500301910016 bytes>
Media Error: 0 Device Not Ready: 0 No Device: 0 Recoverable: 0 
Illegal Request: 26 Predictive Failure Analysis: 0 

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Telex posted:

From everything that all the sites have said about them, they're not speed-demons, but they're "fast enough" that they'll keep up with a gigE connection, especially in a RAID or multi-disk setup. So, yeah, you trade off some theoretical speed, but you get better power use, better temps, and a MUCH better warranty. You probably would never notice the speed difference, anyhow--if you're connecting to it over a "normal" (not fiber or something crazy) network, any drive that can reliably push 80+MB/s is going to be pretty close to indistinguishable from each other.

So what I'm saying is if you're building a new NAS, get Red, but if you've already got a NAS there's no point in running out and replacing all your drives.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

G-Prime posted:

You just changed my life.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

DrDork posted:

From everything that all the sites have said about them, they're not speed-demons, but they're "fast enough" that they'll keep up with a gigE connection, especially in a RAID or multi-disk setup. So, yeah, you trade off some theoretical speed, but you get better power use, better temps, and a MUCH better warranty. You probably would never notice the speed difference, anyhow--if you're connecting to it over a "normal" (not fiber or something crazy) network, any drive that can reliably push 80+MB/s is going to be pretty close to indistinguishable from each other.

So what I'm saying is if you're building a new NAS, get Red, but if you've already got a NAS there's no point in running out and replacing all your drives.

The firmware of these HDs is specifically tuned so as to work better in (hardware) RAID compared to other commercial class HDs. The slow iops can be masked by parallel seeks from other spindles and a large stripe size.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

For me it just shows nothing, and even if it was a few digits, that wouldn't help me as the first 15 or so digits of my Samsung drives are the same.
code:
c7t0d0           Soft Errors: 0 Hard Errors: 0 Transport Errors: 0 
Vendor: ATA      Product: SAMSUNG HD154UI  Revision: 1118 Serial No:  
Size: 1500.30GB <1500301910016 bytes>
Illegal Request: 26 Predictive Failure Analysis: 0 

Weird, maybe it's not supported by your controller?
code:
Model: WDC WD3200AAKS- Revision:  Serial No:      WD-WCAPZ25 Size: 320.07GB <320070352896 bytes>
Illegal Request: 0 
also, it may matter:
code:
# uname -a
SunOS repository 5.11 snv_98 i86pc i386 i86pc Solaris
EDIT: gently caress you WD. Drive 3/4 resilvered fine, but is starting to show read errors while resilvering #4. #4 is showing write errors now! It better finish resilvering fine!!!!!

code:
        NAME           STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        tank           DEGRADED     0     0     0
          raidz1       DEGRADED     0     0     0
            c1d0       ONLINE       2     0     0
            replacing  DEGRADED     0     4     0
              c5d1     OFFLINE      0     0     0
              c1d1     ONLINE       0     6     0
            c2d0       ONLINE       0     0     0
            c2d1       ONLINE       0     0     0
EDIT2: :sigh:
code:
  pool: tank
 state: DEGRADED
status: One or more devices has experienced an unrecoverable error.  An
        attempt was made to correct the error.  Applications are unaffected.
action: Determine if the device needs to be replaced, and clear the errors
        using 'zpool clear' or replace the device with 'zpool replace'.
   see: [url]http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-9P[/url]
 scrub: scrub in progress for 0h6m, 1.99% done, 5h41m to go
config:

NAME           STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        tank           DEGRADED     0     0     0
          raidz1       DEGRADED     0     0     0
            c1d0       ONLINE       6     0     0
            replacing  UNAVAIL      0    12     0  insufficient replicas
              c5d1     OFFLINE      0     0     0
              c1d1     FAULTED      0    18     0  too many errors
            c2d0       ONLINE       0     0     0
            c2d1       ONLINE       0     0     0

Delta-Wye fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jul 25, 2012

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Ouch, hope you have backups or can manage to identify what part of your data was lost to understand the impact. I run RAIDZ1 and know I'm playing with fire... but I have backups galore to where I have more issues managing outdated backup sets than worrying about my existing data.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
There's no data loss. He's trying to replace drives to get a bigger pool while both drives are online, but it looks like the old drive he's replacing crapped out before it could copy over to the new one. He can still rebuild the new one from the rest of the drives since it's RAIDZ.

And if there's data loss, ZFS will tell you what files are affected. I had 3 unrecoverable errors in my array, and I know which two files it was (and have dealt with those).

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

There's no data loss. He's trying to replace drives to get a bigger pool while both drives are online, but it looks like the old drive he's replacing crapped out before it could copy over to the new one. He can still rebuild the new one from the rest of the drives since it's RAIDZ.

And if there's data loss, ZFS will tell you what files are affected. I had 3 unrecoverable errors in my array, and I know which two files it was (and have dealt with those).

I would be totally aok with data loss across like 4/5s of the drive, and the other 5th is packed up so whatev. And, being the badass motherfucker zfs is I slapped the old drive in, scrubed, and canceled the replacement via a detach and:

code:
  pool: tank
 state: ONLINE
 scrub: scrub completed after 9h3m with 0 errors on Wed Jul 25 07:11:34 2012
config:

NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        tank        ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz1    ONLINE       0     0     0
            c1d0    ONLINE       0     0     0
            c5d1    ONLINE       0     0     0
            c2d0    ONLINE       0     0     0
            c2d1    ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors
It's all good! :toot:

...Or I have silent data errors... :smith:

Currently the drive I suspect is bad is in my desktop getting reamed with a dd and then a smart diagnostic test. Is there a better way to stress test a new drive? Google gave me a bunch of sketchy ideas that aren't much better than pushing the disk with a dd operation and observing for errors.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Delta-Wye posted:

...Or I have silent data errors... :smith:
Ain't no such thing, ZFS keeps a checksum of all the files, that's how it knows there are no data errors, the scrub checks every block to make sure it's still good.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

Ain't no such thing, ZFS keeps a checksum of all the files, that's how it knows there are no data errors, the scrub checks every block to make sure it's still good.

I would think so too, but I'm not sure how it's physically possible. I had three out of four disks in, rebuilding the fourth, and it started having read errors on one of the three remaining. As far as I understand it there shouldn't have been enough information available to rebuild without error? I don't know; could be there were recoverable errors. Or the write errors were the root of the problem? Now that I think the fire is put out I'm going to have to spend some time tonight debugging which drive had the problem.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
Has anyone ever tried to install extra software on to a Western Digital My Book World Edition? I was looking around google to see if there was perhaps some sort of custom firmware, since the WD firmware seems to blow, and came across this:

http://highlevelbits.free.fr/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=75&Itemid=67&lang=en

http://highlevelbits.free.fr/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=42&Itemid=68&lang=en

This would give me some of the features I want from the higher priced NAS devices to hold me over until I can afford to spring for a new one.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Delta-Wye posted:

I would think so too, but I'm not sure how it's physically possible. I had three out of four disks in, rebuilding the fourth, and it started having read errors on one of the three remaining. As far as I understand it there shouldn't have been enough information available to rebuild without error? I don't know; could be there were recoverable errors. Or the write errors were the root of the problem? Now that I think the fire is put out I'm going to have to spend some time tonight debugging which drive had the problem.
Read errors just means the checksum and the data weren't consistent. It can try again.
In any case, this poo poo is why you run R6/RZ2.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

Read errors just means the checksum and the data weren't consistent. It can try again.
In any case, this poo poo is why you run R6/RZ2.

Is there any way to 'promote' a RZ1 to an RZ2 with the addition of additional disks? I am stuck in a 4-bay NAS case at the moment but interested in replacing that already anyways. EDIT: Survey says.. no! :(

FYI I guess you can plug in the 'new drive' and do the replacement while the old drive is still in place so poo poo doesn't go tits up while you're doing so but I don't have space and I am worried the power supply won't support it (it's actually on my list of things that might have caused this last problem).

Delta-Wye fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jul 25, 2012

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

raidz2 is a much larger investment to get a reasonable amount of usable space though. I'm hoping it's overkill for home use, seeing how zfs lets you resuscitate a fairly broken array.

I've ordered four 3TB WD Reds and plan to create a raidz1 across them, then migrate all the data from a bunch of JBOD 2tb wd greens over to them before creating a second four drive raidz1 across those.

I'd love to get another four 3TB wd reds and create an 8-drive raidz2 from the start but that's a lot of money!

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Delta-Wye posted:

I would think so too, but I'm not sure how it's physically possible.
ZFS basically verifies blocks on disk continuously by doing a checksum check against blocks upon reads from disk, just not every access. There's a window of time between scrubs (what you probably got hit with) and when a file's been recently written but not read back after the COW transaction (this one rather tiny) that what's on disk might not sync up perfectly with what was intended to be written out. When resilvering, think of it as a free scrubbing at the same time.

error1 posted:

I'm hoping it's overkill for home use, seeing how zfs lets you resuscitate a fairly broken array.
The likelihood of an error goes up dramatically with 3TB disks first of all (even with the new 4k sector format that should help with checksum efficiencies at the disk controller level) and RAIDZ1 on more than three drives total is probably too risky for much more than storing easily accessible and restorable digital media. Me, I don't even want to have to hit a backup for restoration, so I view the extra disk to be less likelihood I need to get unlazy and find the backups when an array hits degradation. Transferring a TBs of data off of DVD+Rs is really time-consuming, I've done it before when migrating between arrays, and I'm not doing it again, dammit.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

G-Prime posted:

It's Windows 7. Thanks for the advice! I'm not home but will try this weekend.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
I'm trying to debug what's going on with this last drive. Currently, everything in the NAS looks fine except I have one last 320GB drive I'd love to swap out. I've tried a couple different things with the 'bad' drive, including swapping it for one of the drives that seemed to work. The swap would /not/ go through and kept giving me arcane errors like:
code:
# zpool replace tank c1d0
cannot replace c1d0 with c1d0: new device must be a single disk
:iiam:
smart tools on solaris seem to be junk so I swapped the drive over to my linux box and the only issue that seems to crop up is:
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count 0x0032 200 200 000 Old_age Always - 5
The first attempt made it go to 2 or 3, second attempt to 5. Googling indicates that is usually a cabling issue of some sort and not critical. I would like to get this drive to freak out so that I can have some excuse to RMA it pronto but on my Linux box where I feel comfortable working, I get no errors at all.

:sigh:

Any ideas?

EDIT: Also, dmesg on the NAS shows a ton of crap like
code:
Jul 25 20:49:28 repository scsi: [ID 107833 kern.warning] WARNING: /pci@0,0/pci-ide@9/ide@0 (ata2):
Jul 25 20:49:28 repository      timeout: early timeout, target=0 lun=0
Jul 25 20:49:28 repository scsi: [ID 107833 kern.warning] WARNING: /pci@0,0/pci-ide@9/ide@0 (ata2):
Jul 25 20:49:28 repository      timeout: abort request, target=1 lun=0
Jul 25 20:49:28 repository      timeout: abort device, target=1 lun=0
Jul 25 20:49:28 repository      timeout: reset target, target=1 lun=0
Jul 25 20:49:28 repository      timeout: reset bus, target=1 lun=0
Jul 25 20:49:29 repository scsi: [ID 107833 kern.warning] WARNING: /pci@0,0/pci-ide@9/ide@0 (ata2):
Jul 25 20:49:29 repository      timeout: early timeout, target=1 lun=0
Jul 25 20:49:29 repository scsi: [ID 107833 kern.warning] WARNING: /pci@0,0/pci-ide@9/ide@0 (ata2):
Jul 25 20:49:29 repository      timeout: early timeout, target=0 lun=0
Jul 25 20:49:29 repository gda: [ID 107833 kern.warning] WARNING: /pci@0,0/pci-ide@9/ide@0/cmdk@0,0 (Disk1):
Jul 25 20:49:29 repository      Error for command 'read sector' Error Level: Informational
Jul 25 20:49:29 repository gda: [ID 107833 kern.notice]         Sense Key: aborted command
Jul 25 20:49:29 repository gda: [ID 107833 kern.notice]         Vendor 'Gen-ATA ' error code: 0x3
Jul 25 20:49:29 repository gda: [ID 107833 kern.warning] WARNING: /pci@0,0/pci-ide@9/ide@0/cmdk@1,0 (Disk2):
Jul 25 20:49:29 repository      Error for command 'write sector'        Error Level: Informational
Jul 25 20:49:29 repository gda: [ID 107833 kern.notice]         Sense Key: aborted command
Jul 25 20:49:29 repository gda: [ID 107833 kern.notice]         Vendor 'Gen-ATA ' error code: 0x3
Jul 25 20:49:29 repository gda: [ID 107833 kern.warning] WARNING: /pci@0,0/pci-ide@9/ide@0/cmdk@1,0 (Disk2):
Jul 25 20:49:29 repository      Error for command 'write sector'        Error Level: Informational
Jul 25 20:49:29 repository gda: [ID 107833 kern.warning] WARNING: /pci@0,0/pci-ide@9/ide@0/cmdk@0,0 (Disk1):
Jul 25 20:49:29 repository      Error for command 'read sector' Error Level: Informational
Jul 25 20:49:29 repository      Error for command 'write sector'        Error Level: Retryable
Jul 25 20:49:29 repository gda: [ID 107833 kern.notice]         Sense Key: ICRC error during UDMA
Jul 25 20:49:29 repository gda: [ID 107833 kern.notice]         Vendor 'Gen-ATA ' error code: 0x16
Is this green drive related TLER poo poo?

Delta-Wye fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jul 26, 2012

Akujunkan
Dec 28, 2006

the vicious cycle
If I buy a gigabit switch, connect a NAS to it and a computer to it, then connect that to a non-gigabit router, will I still get gigabit speeds between the NAS and the computer?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Yes. Just not to anything plugged into the ports on the router.

Waffle Conspiracy
May 21, 2002

Jane Goodall watches me pee!

Akujunkan posted:

If I buy a gigabit switch, connect a NAS to it and a computer to it, then connect that to a non-gigabit router, will I still get gigabit speeds between the NAS and the computer?

Yes, that is how i have my network setup -- assuming that "then connect that to a non-gigabit router" means plugging the switch into the router.
The router should be connected to the switch and the internet, and everything else plugs directly into the switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akujunkan
Dec 28, 2006

the vicious cycle
Awesome, thanks. My mom needs a few TB to work with on her photos and I wanted to move her to something better than the slow USB 2.0 connection she's on.