Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Krime posted:

What happens if you buy out the upgrade? Do they reset it to the month in which you do that?
The contract buyout (which is non-refundable, mind you) resets your upgrade eligibility "immediately". So if you were to buy out today, and upgrade today, then you'll be upgrade eligible again in 20 months, which should be March 1st, 2014.

But if you buy out today, and don't do anything until August, then you won't be upgrade eligible again until April 1st, 2014.

I think that's how it works. Duckman can confirm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Krime posted:

What happens if you buy out the upgrade? Do they reset it to the month in which you do that?

Buying out the upgrade means that you are immediately eligible -- so essentially, yes. (Just pulled the trigger on the option myself a few days ago.)

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

mastershakeman posted:

Does forcing a Verizon prl allow for 3g data, unlike roam control? If so, how do I do it on my e3d?

Is there anything like this for iPhones?

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

quadratic posted:

IIRC you have to jailbreak

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

quadratic posted:

You can change the PRL, but it's a pain in the rear end and you have to be jailbroken, just google "Sprint iPhone Verizon PRL" and it should be pretty obvious what are instructions. I keep thinking about doing it, but if I got cutoff I would be rather frustrated and I don't even know what happens to a phone number in that situation.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away

thisdude23 posted:

I'm going with an idiot. Either way, I had to blow it off because my work check came out normal but short for my summer hours (sorry loving school district) and they said I'll get my lost money ($4000) in August, which means I'll get my rear end taxed like crazy. </rant>

Oh well, still have my upgrade so I can always use that.

gently caress that. The guy told me $220 + Nexus S. drat right I jumped on it. This phone us incredible plus I still have my upgrade... :cool:

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

thisdude23 posted:

gently caress that. The guy told me $220 + Nexus S. drat right I jumped on it. This phone us incredible plus I still have my upgrade... :cool:

Congrats. You got one hell of a deal on a great phone that has barely been out for a month. I hope he doesn't screw you over by reporting it stolen now or something. Did he seem like a stupid person?

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Congrats. You got one hell of a deal on a great phone that has barely been out for a month. I hope he doesn't screw you over by reporting it stolen now or something. Did he seem like a stupid person?

Not really. He said he needed the money to pay child support, lol...

I already activated it and I might take it to my buddy who does tech support for Sprint and see if he can swap it so I don't have this problem in case the worst does happen (I doubt it since he switched it at the Sprint store in front of me).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The contract buyout (which is non-refundable, mind you) resets your upgrade eligibility "immediately". So if you were to buy out today, and upgrade today, then you'll be upgrade eligible again in 20 months, which should be March 1st, 2014.

But if you buy out today, and don't do anything until August, then you won't be upgrade eligible again until April 1st, 2014.

I think that's how it works. Duckman can confirm.

Yeah, what happens is retentions takes the fee to buy up your upgrade, and they just set it so that you are eligible as of the first of whatever month. You are then set to sign a contract for a discounted phone at your leisure.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I just read a report that says an OTA update for the Sprint Galaxy Nexus is expected to drop tomorrow. Still ICS. According to the article, one of the changes is that LTE and Wifi will be enabled by default. LTE I get, I guess, but wifi? Is that like Sprint saying "Sorry for our lovely battery killing network... maybe try connecting to some hotspots"?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

brc64 posted:

I just read a report that says an OTA update for the Sprint Galaxy Nexus is expected to drop tomorrow. Still ICS. According to the article, one of the changes is that LTE and Wifi will be enabled by default. LTE I get, I guess, but wifi? Is that like Sprint saying "Sorry for our lovely battery killing network... maybe try connecting to some hotspots"?

Sprint has had multiple trainings on how to teach customers to manage their networks, aka try to get customers to offset Internet to wifi and WiMAX whenever possible. Absolutely pathetic every time I read the trainings. I'll consider posting one here sometime.

Same reason they have that atrocious network manager installed on phones now that forces wifi and WiMAX on to look for signal. One thing Sprint does that just absolutely pisses me off.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

brc64 posted:

but wifi?
That's the only thing the Sprint Connection Optimizer seems to do. Have they included that in past builds?

Edit: Oh, "atrocious network manager" = Sprint Connection Optimizer. Yup, pretty much sums it up.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

ddogflex posted:

You can change the PRL, but it's a pain in the rear end and you have to be jailbroken, just google "Sprint iPhone Verizon PRL" and it should be pretty obvious what are instructions. I keep thinking about doing it, but if I got cutoff I would be rather frustrated and I don't even know what happens to a phone number in that situation.

That's a fair point. I'd hate to lose my number, but I'm still tempted due to the ridiculously slow speeds I get with Sprint.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

satin666 posted:

I have the SERO $30 plan and a Samsung Rant which is a real bad old buggy phone. I'm keeping the $30 plan until I am a dead person and the best phone that will work with it seems to be “HTC Touch Pro 2”

Could anybody tell me how I go about upgrading to this phone and putting “Android” on there without any risk of losing my plan? :tipshat:

So far I know this:
— Buy “HTC Touch Pro 2” on eBay for $60-70
— ? :cripes:

The Touch Pro 2 is a slow buggy piece of poo poo phone. Android on the TP2 is also slow and buggy as poo poo. I highly suggest you fork over an extra $10 and get an HTC Arrive.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

wooom wooom vroooom ksh ksh vooom

ZeroAX posted:

The Touch Pro 2 is a slow buggy piece of poo poo phone. Android on the TP2 is also slow and buggy as poo poo. I highly suggest you fork over an extra $10 and get an HTC Arrive.

The Arrive is not Android, and will not get Windows Phone 8. It's obsolete at this point. It's an OK phone but I wouldn't want to be stuck with it for 2 years from today.

If you're going to pay extra, get a GS3 or iPhone. If the latter, just wait until the new one comes out in a few months.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Chappy posted:

The Arrive is not Android, and will not get Windows Phone 8. It's obsolete at this point. It's an OK phone but I wouldn't want to be stuck with it for 2 years from today.

If you're going to pay extra, get a GS3 or iPhone. If the latter, just wait until the new one comes out in a few months.

Agreed on signing a contract, the point is with the Arrive is he could get one for cheap used. I am shamelessly mentioning that mine is still for sale.

Edit: Sprint. Quarter results for those who care.

http://newsroom.sprint.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=2340

At least they now are retaining more than 50% of Nextel, right?

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jul 26, 2012

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
And now we know what's been causing all the NV holdup. It's those pesky birds!

http://m.engadget.com/2012/07/26/sprint-lte-delay-birds/?icid=eng_latest_art

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Duckman2008 posted:

Edit: Sprint. Quarter results for those who care.

http://newsroom.sprint.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=2340

At least they now are retaining more than 50% of Nextel, right?

To add some perspective their stock is up almost 14% on the news.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
Would canceling the Google Voice Sprint Integration cause me problems with porting my number to Google Voice? When I try to port my number (area code 407) I get "This number appears to be from an area we don't currently support for porting." However, you can signup for a number in the 407 area code. Do I just need to wait a few days or am I screwed getting my number ported to Google Voice?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Giblet posted:

To add some perspective their stock is up almost 14% on the news.

I so don't understand the stock market.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

TLG James posted:

Sprint lost a lot less than they were projected to lose and service revenue was way up. At this point, everyone is expecting Sprint to lose money as they decommission the Nextel network.

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003
Alright, so I live in a basement apartment, and am no stranger to having a low signal. However, I have never once missed a text/had one come late/etc, missed a call, dropped a call, had voicemail not come through for a few hours, etc, but the last two days have been really bad for all those things. Thanks to calls dropping left and right, I can't even update my PRL or Profile to see if that will even remotely do anything (though, I'm pretty sure I've updated both in the last month or two anyway...). Since I'm on EPRP, should I call the SERO/EPRP number that's in the OP and bitch at them until I get a free Airave? The 3G in Milwaukee is already terrible enough (if you can even get a signal! Outside! Downtown!), but I'd like to be able to use my phone in my house, ha.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I Dont Like You posted:

Alright, so I live in a basement apartment, and am no stranger to having a low signal. However, I have never once missed a text/had one come late/etc, missed a call, dropped a call, had voicemail not come through for a few hours, etc, but the last two days have been really bad for all those things. Thanks to calls dropping left and right, I can't even update my PRL or Profile to see if that will even remotely do anything (though, I'm pretty sure I've updated both in the last month or two anyway...). Since I'm on EPRP, should I call the SERO/EPRP number that's in the OP and bitch at them until I get a free Airave? The 3G in Milwaukee is already terrible enough (if you can even get a signal! Outside! Downtown!), but I'd like to be able to use my phone in my house, ha.

Call the number in the OP that says signal booster, they help customers on all accounts.

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Call the number in the OP that says signal booster, they help customers on all accounts.

Thanks, I will give that a try later. I know the Nexus S doesn't have the strongest radios or anything, but I'm wondering what the hell has happened in the last few days to cause my indoor signal to become basically non-existent at all.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Duckman, just shot you an e-mail about an issue.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

TLG James posted:

I bought some at 2.50, it is up 20% today to around 4.00.

Basically they are retaining more of Nextel, Network Vision is rolling out, they retired their short-term debt, cash flow was positive, the iPhone worked out exactly as predicted (the iPhone customers are less hassle and more profitable), as people upgrade to smart phones the 10 data fee is increasing revenue, they secured a billion in vendor financing for NV equipment, have about 6 billion cash in the bank, and they are adding new post-paid subscribers.

Generally they are executing and look to be profitable next year.

They also confirmed that fiber rollouts from the vendors is the major slowdown on Network Vision but claim they will still meet the end of year target to have 1/3 of all their towers upgraded... IMHO this means the supposition about rolling out everything immediately and not waiting on fiber may be true. If that is the case we could see the towers turning on NV/LTE extremely rapidly - just as soon as the backhaul vendors unfuck themselves.

I think Sprint stock has plenty of room to grow. I picked up another chunk today (kicking myself for not pulling the trigger yesterday). It will probably fluctuate up and down again in the short term but in the long term they will have the most modern network, most of the MVNOs use them, access to a ton of spectrum via Clearwire, and be offering unlimited data. I think their future is bright if they can just make NV happen.

Oh and Hesse as good as said they will be getting the iPad but are waiting on more of NV to be deployed.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
With only 2,000 NV towers up and running, I'd be really surprised to see them have 12k towers done in just 4 months. I am kicking myself for not buying their stock a few weeks ago, but I was betting on the fact that NV was basically in the early stages of failure based on the progress we've seen, and now it was probably too soon to assume that.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
NV is actually rolling out pretty much as planned? :psyduck:

I know I'm not the only one here who pretty much thought that NV would never hit the rollout dates on time and would be delayed to hell as we watch Sprint spiral behind T-Mobile.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

averox posted:

I know I'm not the only one here who pretty much thought that NV would never hit the rollout dates on time and would be delayed to hell as we watch Sprint spiral behind T-Mobile.
For any particular reason, or just a pessimist by nature?

Honestly past Sprint network upgrades have gone pretty well. Even the Clear WiMAX deployment went pretty swiftly until Clear became cash strapped in late 2010 and the whole thing came to a grinding halt. Sprint could've bailed them out then but the writing was on the wall for WiMAX by that time.

Really the two past behaviors of Sprint that give alarm with regard to their competence is (i) flirting with LightSquared, cause that was never going to fly, and (ii) the acquisition of Nextel and extremely slow dismantling of iDen.

Although the latter may play well enough for them in the end. They do get a significant chunk of prime spectrum from Nextel. Did it cost +/- $10 billion to do it? Cause that's the going rate in spectrum auctions.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

ExcessBLarg! posted:

For any particular reason, or just a pessimist by nature?

...because only a fool takes bubbly PR forecasts at face value?

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix
I keep reading all these news releases about how NV is rolling out, but my 4G service in Houston is terrible. More than half the time it just doesn't work, and the times it does work it can't stay connected unless I'm stationary. I know it is early still, but I have not been impressed at all.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

WoG posted:

...because only a fool takes bubbly PR forecasts at face value?
Who said anything about taking them at face value? I haven't seen any credible analysis that Sprint would fail to meet their NV projections, so I'm curious as to why folks think they would "just because."

traslin posted:

More than half the time it just doesn't work, and the times it does work it can't stay connected unless I'm stationary.
On what device?

In general, this is a known problem. It looks like Sprint shipped devices with the LTE signal threshold set too high. Sprint just pushed out an update for the SGS3 (LG8) that corrects this. Don't know about the Galaxy Nexus.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 27, 2012

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

ExcessBLarg! posted:

On what device?

In general, this is a known problem. It looks like Sprint shipped devices with the LTE signal threshold set too high. Sprint just pushed out an update for the SGS3 (LG8) that corrects this. Don't know about the Galaxy Nexus.

Galaxy Nexus. It is supposed to be getting an update soon, so hopefully, the patch will help address some of the LTE connectivity issues I've been seeing. The update for sure disables universal search (thanks Apple), but I never really used that anyway.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I got my NS4G checked out for the odd power button problems. They didn't find any, but they "updated the software" and suppposedly lowered my sync settings so it wouldn't sync so much.

Apparently lowering sync settings means enabling Instant Upload for Google+. I don't even understand that.

The screen was cleaned very nicely though!

I got a chance to play with the Galaxy S III however and holy poo poo that screen is absolutely beautiful. They had it right next to the Galaxy Nexus and the screen on that did not even compare.

I say this as someone who doesn't like TouchWiz and Sense and all that but...honestly, I would probably have bought the SGSIII over the GNex if I had an upgrade. The screen was that amazing and I'm sure I could put up with TouchWiz just to look at it daily.

I guess you could say that this is a sort of review that the screen on the SGSIII looks better (to me) than the one on the Galaxy Nexus.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

ThermoPhysical posted:

I guess you could say that this is a sort of review that the screen on the SGSIII looks better (to me) than the one on the Galaxy Nexus.
Were you looking at the same image at the same brightness setting?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Were you looking at the same image at the same brightness setting?

I was, yeah. The screen just looked really nice, it was much brighter on the SGSIII than even on the brightest setting for the GNex. The SGSIII's brightness was on full brightness as well.

It was hard to navigate the phone but that was only because I wasn't used to the TouchWiz UI...also they had an anti-theft device on it covering the search option in most apps.

The placement of the device was MUCH worse on the GNex though...it was directly over the Overflow Menu.

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

Since no one seems to be mentioning it, the new update for the GNex has Sprint TV support. More for your money, woohoo. Can't wait to show my friends that bizarre telenovela parody where Sprint solves all your problems, assuming that's still on there.

quote:

- Change default LTE setting from Off to On
- Change Wi-Fi default setting from Off to On
- RSSI Indicator modification
- Support for Sprint TV
- Google Security Fix

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I may have a Galaxy Nexus on Sprint available for $350. Any takers?

mtr
May 15, 2008
I bought a launch day Evo so I've had an upgrade available for over a year, but I've been hesitant to sign another 2 year contract and upgrade to the newest phones. I'm seeing some 16GB Galaxy S3's on craigslist around $350-400, is that a reasonable deal? I'm assuming these are people that upgraded their phones and just want the cash now (I'd be certain to check the ESN before paying).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

Duckman2008 posted:

I may have a Galaxy Nexus on Sprint available for $350. Any takers?

I'll PM you about that.