Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

VELOUR SPACESUIT posted:

So I have been toying around with the idea of allies and figured that nothing would be more hilarious with my IG than Orks. So I made a 2000pt list but I don't know how it will turn out (I don't have the models to actually run this list yet, just a bit of research before actually buying them).

HQ
CCS
- x4 Plasma
- Chimera

Big Mek
- Powerklaw
- Kustom Force Field
- 'eavy Armour
- Bosspole
- Attack Squig

Elite
PBS
- x5 Psykers
- Chimera

Troops
Vet Squad
- x3 Plasma
- Chimera

Vet Squad
- x3 Plasma
- Chimera

Vet Squad
- x3 Melta
- Power Weapon

HWS
- x3 Lascannon

19 Boyz
- 'ard Boyz
- Nob

Fast Attack
Vendetta
- Heavy Bolter Sponsons

Heavy Support
Basilisk Squad
- x2 Basilisks

Leman Russ Demolisher
- Multi-Melta Sponsons

Hydra Flak Tank

Battlewagon
- Deffrolla
- Red Paint Job
- Armour Plates

=2000pts.

I figure my Meltavets will drop in the Vendetta and destroy armour, the PBS will drop leaderships of squads while the Basilisks pin and destroy them and the Battlewagon will roll around the field tank shocking and rolling saves until it blows, then the Boyz gum up any advance my enemy can throw.

Thoughts?

You can't take just a HWS, you have to take it within an Infantry Platoon. Heavy Bolter Sponsons aren't really all that useful on a Vendetta, since it's primarily an AT platform. Demolishers are great, but the Multi-Melta sponsons tend to be a waste. Basilisks are fantastic, but I'm not sure how well they do squadroned up. I don't know Orks very well, but taking them as Allies and NOT having a Dakkajet sounds like some sort of sin.

Edit: Also, your math must be off in some way, since this doesn't seem to add up to a 2000 point list. Also, you forgot to stick the Meltavets in a Chimera.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

Well well well, this looks to be one disturbingly erotic post

Phyresis posted:

Well, that random HWS sitting there is illegal. Did you think you could just buy those as Troop choices? That would be pretty cool. A 5-man PBS in a Chimera is worthless. Max squad or don't bother. I have no idea where your 2000 points went, tbqh. I guess the two basilisks, russ, and bw. Oh and your Mek's KFF doesn't extend to your IG vehicles so it's effectively worthless in a mech list.

Didn't know that about the HWS, so I HAVE to buy a PCS then?

Also, I meant x5 additional psykers, so full 9.

So the KFF isn't worth taking that that point? I've never ran Orks so this was mostly a shot in the dark.

May have to rearrange some stuff for the PCS...

this troper
Apr 4, 2011

:o
With the new grenade rules, is it worth giving Tac Squad sergeants a power fist still? Or should I save 20 points and just give them melta bombs?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

VELOUR SPACESUIT posted:

Didn't know that about the HWS, so I HAVE to buy a PCS then?

Also, I meant x5 additional psykers, so full 9.

So the KFF isn't worth taking that that point? I've never ran Orks so this was mostly a shot in the dark.

May have to rearrange some stuff for the PCS...

If you want to take regular Guard squads, Special Weapon Squads, Conscripts, or Heavy Weapon Squads, you have to take them within an Infantry Platoon, which must consist of at least 1 Platoon Command Squad and 2 regular Guard squads.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Can Broadsides not take both the rear end and multi-tracker? Have I been cheating this whole time?

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

You can't take just a HWS, you have to take it within an Infantry Platoon. Heavy Bolter Sponsons aren't really all that useful on a Vendetta, since it's primarily an AT platform. Demolishers are great, but the Multi-Melta sponsons tend to be a waste. Basilisks are fantastic, but I'm not sure how well they do squadroned up. I don't know Orks very well, but taking them as Allies and NOT having a Dakkajet sounds like some sort of sin.

Edit: Also, your math must be off in some way, since this doesn't seem to add up to a 2000 point list. Also, you forgot to stick the Meltavets in a Chimera.

I put the Basilisks in a squad to free up a heavy support slot for... poo poo, nevermind, at 2000pts+ the force org chart is doubled in 6th, right?

I just did the math again and I was actually 25 over 2000. I threw this together in the middle of class so... dammit...

I'll take a look at the dakkajet.

VELOUR SPACESUIT fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jul 27, 2012

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
You guys haven't commented on my battle report and I'm very disappointed in all of you <:saddowns:>

SRM posted:

You know what you guys need? :ussr:A motherfuckin battle report.:ussr:

I'm unfortunately still without a real camera and relying on my phone, but I was able to snap a few shots of my game tonight. It's not going to be like some of my battle reports, but I hope you folks like it just the same! 3 games into 6th now, and all the way up to 2000 points! This is actually a sort of rematch, as we played a small 1250 game last week with his Blood Angels and my Valhallans.

My list:
- CCS with MoO, lascannon, company standard
- Primaris Psyker with Enfeeble, Smite
- PCS with 4 flamers
- 20 man blob with power weapons, commissar, meltas
- PCS with 4 GLs
- PCS with 2 flamers, GL
- PCS with 2 GLs, 2 plasma guns
- 20 man blob with power weapons, commissar, plasma guns
- HWS with mortars
- HWS with heavy bolters
- HWS with lascannons
- SWS with sniper rifles
- Basilisk
- Basilisk
- LRBT with lascannon
- LRBT with lascannon

My opponent forgot that you got 2 FOCs at 2000 points, but I didn't mind. I also don't know GK very well at all so I'm sorta guessing here:
- Grand Master with psycannon
- Librarian in Terminator armor
- 5 Terminators with psycannon
- 10 man Strike Squad with incinerator, psycannon, hammer, halberds
- Land Raider
- Psyfleman Dreadnought
- Dreadknight with heavy incinerator, DCCWs, psycannon
Allied detachment:
- Primaris Psyker with Spontaneous Combustion, Sunburst (?)
- 10 veterans with GLs
- Leman Russ squadron with LRBT with lascannon, Vanquisher with heavy bolters

I think that's everything! We rolled for our mission and came up with Hammer and Anvil deployment - great! More range for my Basilisks! The for mission we rolled up Kill Points. The Emperor giveth, but he also taketh away...

++ This is artillery sergeant Mikhail reporting from the depths of Sturmgrad. One week ago the Blood Angels descended on our once fair city, bringing with them devastation and bloodshed. We fought them from our homes and familiar streets and drove them back from whence they came, never knowing why they came to Hope's Reach. As I gazed out from my binoculars, I see something silver and shining in the smoke-choked sunrise. They think they can sneak up on the men of the Valhallan 32nd, but we'll show them! ++

Deployment looked something like this:

It is just as messy as you think it is! Somehow I was able to keep the squads separate with something like 120 infantry models in my deployment zone. The Steel Legion (plasma) platoon is anchoring the south, and there are Valhallan platoons in the center front, center back near the artillery, and up in the ruined building with the lascannon teams and snipers. My opponent had the Leman Russes in an alley near the red building at the top left and a Land Raider with the Librarian and one Strike Squad combat squad in it was on the other side of that central building with the columns. The veterans and Primaris are hidden behind the red building near the tanks, and the Terminators with Grand Master, Strike combat squad with the psycannon, and Dreadknight are all in reserves. He won deployment, but I seized the iniative! He then rolled for nightfight and welp, it was dark for the first turn. Once again, the Emperor giveth and the Emperor taketh away... My strategy this game is to hold the line, and start with my forces consolidated enough that he can't deep strike anywhere in my line! Here's the view from the model's eye:

++TURN 1++
I do a bit of moving, but I still want to hold my position. We didn't see anything about it specifically in the rules, but figured Ordnance Barrage weapons don't need line of sight anyway, so could still hit things outside 36" for nightfight. My MoO and Basilisks blasted out one hull point on the Land Raider, but failed to do much else. Most things were out of spotting range due to the dark. I also realized my CCS was out of position to actually give orders to things, so I moved my commander out with a few other guys to get him closer to my central army.

++ Looking behind me I could see the dawn illuminating with the fire from the guns of the Valhallan 32nd. In all my years of service to the Emperor, the sight and sound of guns still fill me with pride and zeal. ++

He moves his tanks up, and is able to draw a bead on one of my two Leman Russes with his squadron. He fires and the shell scatters off, right into my command squad! After cover saves and LoSir rolls, I only lost two men! Unfortunately, those two men were my company standard and my company commander! Elsewhere he moves his veterans up behind a ruin and his Psyfleman shoots up my southern Basilisk but cover/shrouding stops the shots.
++ I saw fire erupt from the breaking dawn as the tanks of our enemies spat fury at us. I was knocked off my feet by the blast, and saw the bloodied form of Colonel Petrovik half-buried under the rubble surrounding us. Chaos erupted over the comms as each squad briefly lost all semblance of coordination until the Commissars and Lieutenants whipped them back into order. ++

++TURN 2++
I still keep fairly tight formation with my infantry, but I'm able to put some fire downrange. The lascannon team blows the near lascannon off his Land Raider, and shake it! The Basilisks are able to put a few hullpoints of damage down on the Leman Russ squadron, but nothing sticks.

Grey Knights arrive from reserve. The Dreadknight tries to drop up north, but mishaps and is delayed a turn. The Strike Squad combat squad drops up in the northern ruins behind my blob and lascannon teams, but near the snipers and Basilisk. His Terminators find the tiniest gap in my backfield behind a Leman Russ and drop there. Blurry picture go!

The Librarian and his Strike Squad buddies also run out of their temporarily halted Land Raider:

Shooting erupts and the Strike Squad is able to blow the Earthshaker Cannon off my unpainted Basilisk. The Terminators and Grand Master open fire on the rear armor of my Leman Russ, wrecking it. The Psyfleman stuns my Basilisk. The Librarian and his buddies just go straight for the charge at my Steel Legion, and Overwatch fire drops one halberd! A chainsword sergeant challenges the Librarian and takes one for the team while the rest of my squad ineffectually bounce their bayonets and ostensibly powered swords off the Grey Knights. I lose four dudes and pass morale.

++ The Grey Knights are upon us! Take up defensive positions! Zero in our Basilisks on those tanks! ++

++TURN 3++
Now is when I get to use some psychic powers! The lead blob with the Primaris Psyker cast Enfeeble on the Terminators, who fail to Deny The Witch. This malediction makes them Strength and Toughness 3, and makes them count as moving through difficult terrain! I then proceed to FRFSRF with a blob at them, shoot my heavy bolter team at them, and shoot them up with the nearby mixed arms PCS. Shooting brings them down to just one model! The northern blob and sniper team are able to bring that Strike Squad down to one model, while my MoO finishes off the Land Raider! The Leman Russes continue their piddling match and bounce shells off each other, while my mortars miss their mark on the veterans. Assault sees the Steel Legion losing, their Commissar executing the remaining sergeant, then running anyway! The Grey Knights consolidate after them, my CCS in their sights. End of the turn looked like this:

The Dreadknight re-deepstrikes, right up north where it wanted to go. The Librarian and his squad chase after my Steel Legion:

They shoot their incinerator and the Steel Legion duck under the flames only for the CCS lascannon team to get torched! Cover saves are made on shots beyond that.

++ The fight had come to me! I clutched my binoculars to my chest with one hand and my pistol with the other as bolter shells ripped over the short wall I was taking cover behind. I glanced over to see the crew of our lascannon get incinerated by the surely unholy weapons these silver Space Marines were wielding. ++

The lone psycannon Strike Squad guy up north went around and shot the Basilisk, knocking another hull point off, and the remaining Terminator went after the mixed arms PCS backed up against said Basilisk. The Dreadknight shot its heavy incinerator, and since I wasn't paying attention over there was able to torch 15 of my men! The Dreadknight shot my south Basilisk, exploding it and killing one of my heavy bolter teams and a melta from another squad. Leman Russes target my flamer PCS and kill all but the Lieutenant after he goes to ground. His veterans shoot up my Primaris blob, killing a few and his Primaris spontaneously combusts my Commissar. No Witches were Denied. Assault saw the Librarian's squad unable to reach my CCS, as there were squads intervening who didn't take casualties from the Incinerator and Psyker flame power. The lone psycannon gunner up north hit my Basilisk with a krak grenade, exploding it. The explosion kills the three snipers from the SWS, forcing a morale test that sees the remaining lasgunners running off the table. It also hits my PCS, doing nothing, but killing his charging Terminator!

++TURN 4++
The Steel Legion blob regroups, but only after the Commissar racks his bolt pistol and puts down one more chump for a reroll... I cast Enfeeble, but this time on the Strike Squad with their Librarian buddy. I surround the unit with two blobs and gun it down. The lascannons plink a hull point off another Leman Russ, my MoO does the same, and I've now done 2 hull points to each, due to the allocation weirdness of Ordnance Barrage weapons. My Dreadknight'd squad of 6 dudes finishes off the lone psycannoneer, and the Primaris' blob head up towards the veterans. FRFSRF ensues, killing some, but not all of them. Mortars and heavy bolters knock them down to one GL and the Primaris. The Steel Legion PCS has been chasing the Dreadnought all game and go after him, doing nothing. End of the turn looked like this:

The view is a bit better from the rooftops:

The Leman Russes blow away more dudes from my Primaris blob, and the Dreadknight torches my lascannon teams. The dreadnought kills the Steel Legion PCS gunners, leaving the Lieutenant alive and well. We look at the clock and it's 10:15, and we have to be out of there in 15 minutes. We call it a game and count up killpoints - he's got way more of mine than I do of his, purely by virtue of my multiple fragile squads and my tanks being split up into 4 units instead of 2. He also got First Blood and Slay the Warlord, thanks to a lucky Leman Russ shell on turn 1. Victory goes to the Grey Knights!

++ While it appeared we were driving these wretches back from our city, a strange mechanical monster appeared in the north, spewing flames and seeding terror in our ranks. Shells continued to come down on us, and strange, boxy, silver aircraft started appearing above us. The city was in shambles, and the Lieutenants sounded the retreat. Colonel Petrovik was dragged from the rubble, battered and bloodied but still alive. Maybe once he recovers he can bring us back to this city so we can drive out the enemies of the Emperor once more. Until then, artillery sergeant Mikhail signing out.++
- 'Though my men may sleep, and my ships rest at anchor, my foes know full well that big guns never tire'

Thoughts:
That was a brutal game! There was decidedly little close combat, but the blasts getting slung back and forth every turn were doing a lot of damage, My casualties actually weren't that high numerically, but I was at a severe Killpoint disadvantage, my list having 18 and his only having 10. 5 man T3 squads don't tend to last that long under fire, but usually the blobs can make up for that. Running four blobs was a lot of fun though, even if the "power" part of "powerblob" didn't come into play, as I couldn't roll fives to save my life! Overwatch feels like it just hasn't clicked yet for me, as I was only able to drop one Grey Knight with it. There weren't many charges though, so I'll give it that. Deny The Witch is borderline useless, as between the two of us nobody ever denied any witches that game! Even with his psychic hood and Mastery Level 2 psyker, he couldn't stop my Enfeeble spells. However, Enfeeble is amazing. It was like my Guardsmen were all armed with FRFSRF bolters! I wish I had more firepower to bring to bear on the Leman Russ squadron though; those tanks were a pain and I couldn't do much about them. The Basilisks should have worked well against them, but I was understandably a bit busy trying to knock out his Land Raider! I had a really hard time knocking out that vehicle squadron, even if his Vanquisher wasn't doing anything for the majority of the game. It was fun though, and we're definitely getting the hang of it - last week was 1250 in 2 and a half hours, this week was 2000 in almost 3. If we had another half hour we c

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

ijyt posted:

Can Broadsides not take both the rear end and multi-tracker? Have I been cheating this whole time?

Yes. Normal dudes can only take one of those, though the team leader can take hard-wirings.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

So as far as a Tyranid Skyfire gun goes, what about using bodies from some old 2nd edition Gargoyles and just slapping larger guns on them, tossing them is some sorta niddy gunners chair and have six of them per group? Stupid?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

SRM posted:

You guys haven't commented on my battle report and I'm very disappointed in all of you <:saddowns:>

you suck at playing this game and you should be embarrassed

Did that help?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

7thBatallion posted:

So as far as a Tyranid Skyfire gun goes, what about using bodies from some old 2nd edition Gargoyles and just slapping larger guns on them, tossing them is some sorta niddy gunners chair and have six of them per group? Stupid?

So the Space Jockey?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

seems like a bad idea

e: the legs would work without that weird double-jointed knee

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

SRM posted:

Is that at a club/shop or in someone's house? I love the terrain! Since I got into 40K a couple of months ago I've been working on terrain far more than my actual Dark Eldar/CSM, and at this point we can cram the board full of stuff if we wanted to.

I liked the field report but the camera work could be a bit better (I'm guessing florescent lights and camera phone, though). I don't know much about either army so it's hard to read/follow all the different units and absorb the tactics, so I rely on the pretty pictures of cool-looking sci-fi dudes. I suppose I'm a bit pampered from MiniWarGaming batreps too!

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Nephilm posted:

Yes. Normal dudes can only take one of those, though the team leader can take hard-wirings.

Well tits. At least they were only casual games.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

SRM posted:

Forgot to comment on it the first time around, so I'll take this oppourtunity to tell you that it's awesome, you're awesome, Valhallans are awesome, and we really need more battle reports in this thread in general.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

seems like a bad idea

I'm mad that someone destroyed a perfectly good Stormtalon in order to create this abomination

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Congratulations on the new baby.

I'd go with Death Guard. As mentioned they are low model count, there are plastic Nurgle daemons out next month to use as allies (Epidemius' tally works for both armies), the new CSM codex is rumoured to allow you to field awesome sounding plague zombies, and you can use the horror of nappies as inspiration for painting. :)

Death Guard are tempting, I'd want to see how the new CSM codex pans out, what with that rumour about no cult terminators :(

I think I'm pretty sold on stacks of terminators though and those new plastic plague daemons look pretty sweet too :)

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

SRM posted:

So the Space Jockey?

Lots of little space jockeys in an array. But 'Nids. And with more phallic cannon things.

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

seems like a bad idea

Expand the missile racks and it's a CPLT-C3. Now I want to make a combo guard/SM list with all walkers.

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 27, 2012

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

this troper posted:

With the new grenade rules, is it worth giving Tac Squad sergeants a power fist still? Or should I save 20 points and just give them melta bombs?

Usually, yes. Power fist let's you get more attacks and you can squish infantry with it (and instant death most things out there). The only time a melta bomb is better is when you need to blow something up with AV 13 or higher if I remember my mathhammer correctly. Still good to take melta bombs though, 5 points to let you smash a land raider is always a good choice.

Although now that power axes exist, I wouldn't be surprised if power axe + melta bomb is the best choice for a tact sergeant

Fashionable Jorts fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 27, 2012

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Putting fists on sergeants is going to depend largely on how important challenges and ICs become in the metagame. The new CSM are going to be a big influence on the average number of combat ICs and challenges you'll see in random pickup games. If the game gets a bit herohammery you are going to want to keep your sergeants naked so that they can make sacrificial plays. It's much harder to keep the power fist safe than it was in 5th edition, but that doesn't mean they won't be usable. It all depends.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

SRM posted:

Your giant battle report stomped all over my whirly swirly warp gate internet video, so I hate it. :saddowns:

humannature
Apr 28, 2010

I was a vegan Hibernian Warden, but I gave that up to join the flesh-eating Chaotic Socialist Space Republic.

SRM posted:

I enjoyed it SRM! Especially the wood paneling or whatever that is in the background.

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

If you want to take regular Guard squads, Special Weapon Squads, Conscripts, or Heavy Weapon Squads, you have to take them within an Infantry Platoon, which must consist of at least 1 Platoon Command Squad and 2 regular Guard squads.

Okay, so are the squads completely separate then, even though you have to buy them together? Like, do my PCS and Infantry Squad have to remain in cohesion? Or if one is shooting at one squad, does everything in the Platoon have to shoot at it?

Sorry for the derp, I am still a little new and I have never actually ran a Platoon for my guardsmen, only Vet squads.

EDIT for less :ughh: and content:

Fix posted:

Your giant battle report stomped all over my whirly swirly warp gate internet video, so I hate it. :saddowns:

That is a drat cool project and I am jealous of your talents. Most people would be content with just dropping down a blast template. It is extra stuff like this that makes playing Warhams with creative people really fun.

VELOUR SPACESUIT fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 27, 2012

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

krushgroove posted:

Is that at a club/shop or in someone's house? I love the terrain! Since I got into 40K a couple of months ago I've been working on terrain far more than my actual Dark Eldar/CSM, and at this point we can cram the board full of stuff if we wanted to.

I liked the field report but the camera work could be a bit better (I'm guessing florescent lights and camera phone, though). I don't know much about either army so it's hard to read/follow all the different units and absorb the tactics, so I rely on the pretty pictures of cool-looking sci-fi dudes. I suppose I'm a bit pampered from MiniWarGaming batreps too!

It is indeed in a club! We've got the room to do a half dozen tables or so, plus enough terrain to furnish them pretty comfortably. I usually do far better camera work and battle reports, but as you said: fluorescent lights and cameraphone. I left my camera at my girlfriend's place last week and haven't gotten it back yet. My typical battle reports have stuff going on where you can see where things moved and what died turn by turn. Here's a picture from the Battle for Crotchshottia:

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Forgot to comment on it the first time around, so I'll take this oppourtunity to tell you that it's awesome, you're awesome, Valhallans are awesome, and we really need more battle reports in this thread in general.
Thank you! I don't see many battle reports in this thread, but I figure if I keep doing one every month or so I'll stir up some interest in other folks to do theirs. I haven't done a .gif AAR like :wom: has though!

Phyresis posted:

I'm mad that someone destroyed a perfectly good Stormtalon in order to create this abomination
I actually kinda dig it.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
most of you guys are talented mofos (granted at something less than useful but hey), and just because we don't comment on cool poo poo doesn't mean we didn't see it!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'm just looking for a show of hands here;

How many of you would actually care if I modeled and ran my IG Sergeants with lasguns instead of las-pistol/chainsword? It looks nicer, doesn't have a huge advantage (might even have a slight disadvantage) gameplay-wise, is a bit more believable I guess (not that it matters, since I'm writing my own lore as far as my Guard Army goes), and might make wounds and poo poo easier, since everyone has the exact same saves and wargear.

I wouldn't be running them in tournaments but that's not something I really care about right now.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Yeah, the crayola crayon missiles are great. The legs are simply amazing. I can imagine how the conversation between the tech-adepts went. I'm sure they wanted to add additional points of failure to the legs for no reason. You know, in order to destroy any aesthetic it could have had.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

VELOUR SPACESUIT posted:

Okay, so are the squads completely separate then, even though you have to buy them together? Like, do my PCS and Infantry Squad have to remain in cohesion? Or if one is shooting at one squad, does everything in the Platoon have to shoot at it?

Sorry for the derp, I am still a little new and I have never actually ran a Platoon for my guardsmen, only Vet squads.

Every squad in a Platoon is an independent unit, and as such can fire at different targets, hang out wherever they want, take their own dedicated transports, etc. The only downside is that they all count as an individual KP, which means 9 times out of ten you're going to be at an instant disadvantage in Annihilation type games.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

SRM posted:

Dammit, I was about to make a "DIDNT READ LOL" gif out of this sync kill, and then realized I spent so long looking through dawn of war sync kills that I am about to be late for work.

So just imagine that I made it and posted it and was briefly probated for it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

Babe Magnet posted:

How many of you would actually care if I modeled and ran my IG Sergeants with lasguns instead of las-pistol/chainsword? It looks nicer, doesn't have a huge advantage (might even have a slight disadvantage) gameplay-wise, is a bit more believable I guess (not that it matters, since I'm writing my own lore as far as my Guard Army goes), and might make wounds and poo poo easier, since everyone has the exact same saves and wargear.

I wouldn't be running them in tournaments but that's not something I really care about right now.

Just as long as it's apparent who is the sergeant I'd be alright with it. And fwiw they were allowed to have lasguns until the current codex (or maybe the one before).

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Babe Magnet posted:

Now that Precision Strikes are now a Thing, you'll have to roll your Sarge separately/a different color anyway. Suck it up and roll 19 dice instead of 20.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Can sergeants even do Precision Strikes? I thought only IC or Special Characters could, which base sergeants are neither, I believe. I just want my dudes to look cool and uniform and pistols/chainswords aren't cuttin' it.

nuncle jimbo posted:

Just as long as it's apparent who is the sergeant I'd be alright with it. And fwiw they were allowed to have lasguns until the current codex (or maybe the one before).

Yeah they have different helmets and a different colored shoulder-pad, so it'd be obvious which dude has the highest leadership. I knew there was some time period everyone had lasguns.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

pw pw pw posted:

Dammit, I was about to make a "DIDNT READ LOL" gif out of this sync kill, and then realized I spent so long looking through dawn of war sync kills that I am about to be late for work.

So just imagine that I made it and posted it and was briefly probated for it.

"Here's the plan you guys. I'm going to crawl up his leg, and then you two propel yourselves languidly toward his face and we all chew together."
"Why bother crawling up his leg?"
"Shut the gently caress up is why, jerry."

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
In other news, anyone remember that C&C "Totally Not a Baneblade" from a few months back? Turns out some Facebook game designer saw that and thought "Gee, I wonder if we could do that, but be even MORE blatant about it!"

Personally, I'm just jealous I didn't come up with that paint job first.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Characters can do Precision Strikes, and a Sargent is a character.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Huh.

Also that tank is retardedly amazing.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

SRM posted:

It is indeed in a club! We've got the room to do a half dozen tables or so, plus enough terrain to furnish them pretty comfortably. I usually do far better camera work and battle reports, but as you said: fluorescent lights and cameraphone. I left my camera at my girlfriend's place last week and haven't gotten it back yet. My typical battle reports have stuff going on where you can see where things moved and what died turn by turn. Here's a picture from the Battle for Crotchshottia:

Yeah that is way better with the movement arrows and kills - I didn't mean to sound down on your batrep though :) I usually take pictures of our games but with the terrain half-painted and the armies either proxied or barely painted they don't look too impressive yet. But soon! I hope.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Ladies and gentlemen, we have hit full retard.

These rules make me so sad sometimes.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Even if you use this hammy interpretation of the rules, is a Rhino behind an ADL that big of a deal? It's not like static defenses had any problem finding cover in 5th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

So wait, it says that the 6th edition diagram doesn't include the top of the diagram, but neither does the 5th edition one.

Doesn't getting shot from the top have it's own section in the rule book, like it always has? It's like side or back armor, or whatever. You can clearly see the top without any cover, so that's a clean hit. I don't think vehicles have ever technically had "top armor", so you'd just use a non-covered side or back armor value. Even if it had aegis on all four sides, you'd still clearly see the top from the skimmer's point of view, which is not in cover.

• Locked thread