Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
:aslol: why? I love the poo poo out of my SV650, and gf would murder me if I got rid of hers (as she told me last night).

Besides, it's one of the few bikes that won't get stolen near-immediately from its parking spot outside my apartment (no garage) ... A new bike, if it's anywhere close to lustworthy for the masses, would have to be stored in my storage unit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

People say the S1000rr is actually a really fun and comfortable commuter bike. I don't know how hock full of bullshit they are trying to justify spending their meager salaries on one but they look pretty and go fairly fast so that's good news too and BMW does free test rides so it couldn't hurt (except your wallet)

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES
Apologies, posted this in the questions thread first. Is a 2007 stock Honda CBR 125 with no issues, 4670 miles at £1300-1400 ($2010-2170) 1) being sold at a good price, which I'm reasonably sure after looking about it is, and 2) a good starter bike? The only problem I can see with it is that it's a blue-and-orange Repsol paint job, which may get me killed in Glasgow.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Xovaan posted:

People say the S1000rr is actually a really fun and comfortable commuter bike. I don't know how hock full of bullshit they are trying to justify spending their meager salaries on one but they look pretty and go fairly fast so that's good news too and BMW does free test rides so it couldn't hurt (except your wallet)

Yeah Motor Cyclist's long term S1000rr was praised as being very comfortable.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Wootcannon posted:

Apologies, posted this in the questions thread first. Is a 2007 stock Honda CBR 125 with no issues, 4670 miles at £1300-1400 ($2010-2170) 1) being sold at a good price, which I'm reasonably sure after looking about it is, and 2) a good starter bike? The only problem I can see with it is that it's a blue-and-orange Repsol paint job, which may get me killed in Glasgow.

No idea of price but it'd be a good bike to start out on.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Wootcannon posted:

Just stolen. Or killed and stolen and pissed on if you're in Govan. As you know, many residents of Govan speculated wildly in the Spanish property markets and don't like to be reminded of the whole fiasco.

It's a good price for a CBR in good nick with a FSH. If you're a new rider, I would suggest having a bike shop / dealership spend 30 minutes or so of labour giving it a once over. 125s especially are prone to being owned by numpties, teenagers or teenage numpties and therefore dangerously neglected because the owner has no clue. Or worse, broken and then bodged back together. Check it isn't nicked (see above), do an HPI on it obviously and get a receipt and ID from the owner as well as checking the V5.

Is it actually a MY2007 bike? The older one is carburetted, the newer one (2007 and after) will probably say "PGM-FI" in big letters somewhere on it. Both are good, if it's the latter it's a steal. Hence my concern as to whether it's kosher. Despite the CBR moniker, like the older NSR125 which preceded it, they aren't actually very "sporty", so it's not exactly going to scare you witless.

125 prices are permanently artificially inflated since car drivers can ride them with a CBT, plus also restricted licence holders and people in the process of doing their Direct Access who want a practice bike. Anything that's a 125 and not a pile of shite seemed to be over a grand last time I looked.

If you're a taller rider, the Derbi Terra is a great choice, has a bit more wind protection ( :scotland: ) and definitely isn't yet another CG125. Hard to find and a bit pricey though.

Zazamoot
Apr 2, 2005

Snowdens Secret posted:

Widen your search. Here's one just a short train ride away:
http://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/mcy/3147167938.html

There's probably plenty more.

I caught a train out to Connecticut and looked this bike over. It looks pretty good, but the tires are original, have mild dry rot and clearly need to be replaced. A local shop quoted $325 to swap in new ones.

The rest of the bike seems acceptable to this newbie, so I'm wondering if I should try to haggle a 2007 ninja 250 down from $1725 on account of the tires.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

n8r posted:

The first thing you should do is sell your sv650 don't include it in your stable of bikes.

Check your good bike privilege at the door n8r you're being a real cisbiker.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Wootcannon posted:

That's a good price I'd say, for England. I paid 900 for my 1991 Zephyr 550, and I'm sure you can get cheaper but it's a good starter bike and fairly newish.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

clutchpuck posted:

Yeah Motor Cyclist's long term S1000rr was praised as being very comfortable.

... for a supersport.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Zazamoot posted:

I caught a train out to Connecticut and looked this bike over. It looks pretty good, but the tires are original, have mild dry rot and clearly need to be replaced. A local shop quoted $325 to swap in new ones.

The rest of the bike seems acceptable to this newbie, so I'm wondering if I should try to haggle a 2007 ninja 250 down from $1725 on account of the tires.

I usually figure that an oil change, new tires, new battery and possibly a new set of chain+sprockets will be part of the cost of buying a used bike unless you know the PO and the bikes maintenance history. See if you can haggle down the price of tires, or at least half the price of tires.

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008

Wootcannon posted:

Link? Really depends, no issues can often mean loads of issues that the seller doesn't know about. If it needs tyres/ chain/sprockets etc it can go from a great deal to a poo poo one pretty quickly too!

It's a good starter, wouldn't be the one I'd go for though. What do you think of the CBF125 ?

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

^The dealer I'm buying it from is giving it a full strip-down/once-over this week in his workshop. CBF125 is a bit pricey for me and it's also not a bike I like the look of, to be honest.

I'm actually picking it up from a bike/ATV shop, the fellow there is giving it a full once-over next week since the chap that traded it in hasn't used it for two years. HPI's come up clean, will pop round and check tyres this weekend (if anyone's got a photo guide of what to look for that'd be awesome, I'm aware of checking for baldness and blistering but I imagine a guide you guys have would be great), and gonna make sure he puts it through an MOT before I sign the V5. And yes, I am a taller rider, but this is at the limit of my budget. What's an FSH?

Cheers for all the positive responses, one last thing: I'm better off getting textiles because a person in full leather on a 125 is gonna look like a complete tool, right?

Wootcannon fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 27, 2012

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Would a VFR 750 be too much bike for somebody who is extremely safe, responsible, and has ridden dirt bikes his whole life?

My friend has a budget of about $2300 and wants something that looks sporty that he can commute on as his first bike, but SV650's seem to be horribly inflated these days.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Xovaan posted:

Would a VFR 750 be too much bike for somebody who is extremely safe, responsible, and has ridden dirt bikes his whole life?

My friend has a budget of about $2300 and wants something that looks sporty that he can commute on as his first bike, but SV650's seem to be horribly inflated these days.

I think so - VFR750s are great bikes.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Xovaan posted:

dirtbikes are geared waaaaay lower and have much more of a tendency to 12'o'clock on you than a VFR will.

I'm sure he has his throttle and clutch control down by now so learning won't be too difficult. He probably already know to respect the bike's power and your limits so he's already head and shoulders above a total noob.

Things to consider: learn how to countersteer, street bikes don't turn like dirtbikes do, and that VFR is going to be a LOT heavier than any dirtbike you've ridden.

Good luck!

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Thanks for the replies, guys! I think he has some street experience but no license. He understands the complexity of motorcycles a lot better than a lot of people I know who are starting out; I figure as long as he keeps it under the power band for a few hundred miles he should be fine if he can't find an SV or something similar in his budget range by the time school starts.

Are there any similar bikes to look out for with the same styling?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Xovaan posted:

Thanks for the replies, guys! I think he has some street experience but no license. He understands the complexity of motorcycles a lot better than a lot of people I know who are starting out; I figure as long as he keeps it under the power band for a few hundred miles he should be fine if he can't find an SV or something similar in his budget range by the time school starts.

erg... Ducatis also have a single sided swingarm if that's what you mean.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Xovaan posted:

The Triumph Sprint ST has a lot in common with the 750 and especially its successor, the VFR800 - single-sided swingarm, long seat, raised bars, OEM hardbags - and I've seen them for under $5000 around here. I wouldn't get one instead of the VFR 750 since they're in different age/price ranges, but it's something to keep in mind if he ends up liking the 750 and wants something bigger a year from now.

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jul 27, 2012

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Wootcannon posted:

^The dealer I'm buying it from is giving it a full strip-down/once-over this week in his workshop. CBF125 is a bit pricey for me and it's also not a bike I like the look of, to be honest.

I'm actually picking it up from a bike/ATV shop, the fellow there is giving it a full once-over next week since the chap that traded it in hasn't used it for two years. HPI's come up clean, will pop round and check tyres this weekend (if anyone's got a photo guide of what to look for that'd be awesome, I'm aware of checking for baldness and blistering but I imagine a guide you guys have would be great), and gonna make sure he puts it through an MOT before I sign the V5. And yes, I am a taller rider, but this is at the limit of my budget. What's an FSH?

Cheers for all the positive responses, one last thing: I'm better off getting textiles because a person in full leather on a 125 is gonna look like a complete tool, right?

FSH = full service history. Which at 4,000 miles is probably a break in service (drain special break-in oil, fill up and replace oil filter, check nothing's fallen off) and maybe one oil service, depending on how much attention they require. But that at least tells you it's been looked after.

As far as the tyres go, look for cracking and swelling on the sidewall and tread depth.

It should be a lot more fun than a CBF with a bit more weather protection. And as long as there's oil in it, it should be fairly unbreakable, unlike the average two-stroke.

Remember to post pictures!

As far as gear goes, if you wear leathers, you won't look dumb, you'll just look like a person who likes to keep his skin attached to him. The CBR will probably do 70 with a following wind, which if you manage to fall off is going to be something like breakdancing on a very large belt sander. If you're properly protected it can be amusing (until you consider your insurance excess), but if not it can obviously be a wee bit unpleasant.

Nylon, even good nylon, struggles with abrasion over more than very short periods of exposure, making nylon suits far more suited to town riding where crash speeds tend to be lower.

Personally, if I was planning to ride that CBR regularly on A roads and tackle the M8 occasionally, I'd go for a decent used two-piece set of leathers. If it's basically a town bike, either will do, but textile jackets do have the advantage that you can get them with many, many useful pockets and of course nylon tends to be better at drying out ( :scotland: again) than leather.

If you haven't got a lid yet,

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

for helmet ratings.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

TheScott2K posted:

The Triumph Sprint ST has a lot in common with the 750 and especially its successor, the VFR800 - single-sided swingarm, long seat, raised bars, OEM hardbags - and I've seen them for under $5000 around here. I wouldn't get one instead of the VFR 750 since they're in different age/price ranges, but it's something to keep in mind if he ends up liking the 750 and wants something bigger a year from now.

Yeah, absolutely. I love the look of the Sprint and if he goes that route in his riding I'm sure he'd love it too.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

I've been passed on the details of that site just there, cheers much for linking it again to reinforce its importance!

I'm gonna pop up to the Honda dealership in Anderston tomorrow since they stock Frank Thomas stuff, which I've been told is pretty well-priced for the protection it offers and, while looking at the site shows it's kind of pricey stuff, it seems it's very good in comparison to others. While I still haven't decided between textiles and leather, the abrasion thing is leaning me even further towards leather (even though I do like having lots of pockets!). Thanks very much for all your advice, much appreciated.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Xovaan posted:

Are there any similar bikes to look out for with the same styling? [VFR]

The Aprilia Futura is gat dang marvelous.

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008

Wootcannon posted:

I've been passed on the details of that site just there, cheers much for linking it again to reinforce its importance!

I'm gonna pop up to the Honda dealership in Anderston tomorrow since they stock Frank Thomas stuff, which I've been told is pretty well-priced for the protection it offers and, while looking at the site shows it's kind of pricey stuff, it seems it's very good in comparison to others. While I still haven't decided between textiles and leather, the abrasion thing is leaning me even further towards leather (even though I do like having lots of pockets!). Thanks very much for all your advice, much appreciated.

If you've got the cbt etc sorted, take a CBF for a test ride... I nearly traded in my z750 for one a while back, they're a hilariously fun little bike. Google image just informed me that theres some in repsol colours knocking about. CBF is larger (you're tall right?), torquier and perhaps faster than the cbr, and will sip fuel (reports of 120mpg achieved easily). You might have a chance to sit on both at that dealer, do that and see what you think :)

Frank Thomas gear is decent, I've leathers top and bottom and they're grand. Just keep in mind that they're no longer in business, so warranty and that may be a bodge job.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Xovaan posted:

Yeah, absolutely. I love the look of the Sprint and if he goes that route in his riding I'm sure he'd love it too.
I'm not familiar with the newer VFRs, so I can't compare, but the Sprints are heavy as gently caress. Topheavy too. Just FYI.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I haven't rode in around 3 years. Previously I've owned Suzukis - an SV650s and a S40 Boulevard. I've been looking at getting another bike, mainly for commuting into work. The commute is roughly around 25 miles each way, and some of the roads nearby are beat to poo poo. Looking around, something like the Versys or a V-Strom seems a best fit for a commuter bike. I enjoyed the Boulevard more than the SV650, mostly due to the upright position. My gripe with the Boulevard is that I have an 80mph toll road that I occasionally would use, and I felt like that bike was getting tired and felt floaty around those speeds.

Besides something like the V-Strom or Versys, what should I be looking for?

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
FZ6 or FZ1?

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Bovril Delight posted:

I haven't rode in around 3 years. Previously I've owned Suzukis - an SV650s and a S40 Boulevard. I've been looking at getting another bike, mainly for commuting into work. The commute is roughly around 25 miles each way, and some of the roads nearby are beat to poo poo. Looking around, something like the Versys or a V-Strom seems a best fit for a commuter bike. I enjoyed the Boulevard more than the SV650, mostly due to the upright position. My gripe with the Boulevard is that I have an 80mph toll road that I occasionally would use, and I felt like that bike was getting tired and felt floaty around those speeds.

Besides something like the V-Strom or Versys, what should I be looking for?

Triumph Tiger 800, Bmw F650, Aprilia Pegaso, Suzuki Freewind (!), Honda Dominator, Cagiva Canyon, Yamaha Tenere, Ktm 640 Adventure, Honda Varadero, older air cooled Ducati multistrada, etc etc.

E - wootcannon, check out hein gericke, esp. Stuff reduced on their website. They have stores in glasgow and Edinburgh iirc. Edinburgh one used to be on queen st or George st - the one parallel to princes st on the other side of the hill. glasgow one was also fairly central but don't recall the name of the road assuming it's even still there. Good quality at lowish prices, especially on clearance stuff.

Saga fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jul 28, 2012

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I'm not familiar with the newer VFRs, so I can't compare, but the Sprints are heavy as gently caress. Topheavy too. Just FYI.

Actually, I'm curious. I have a Bandit 1200-- how do the Sprints compare, top-heaviness-wise?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Xovaan posted:

Actually, I'm curious. I have a Bandit 1200-- how do the Sprints compare, top-heaviness-wise?

Been a while since I pushed a Bandit 1200 around, but I think the Sprint was a little topheavier than that.

Blert the Duck
Sep 23, 2008

:sweep:

Blert the Duck fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 14, 2013

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Today I went to a motorcycle dealership with my gf to look around. A new Speed Triple R? $17k. A Yamaha FZ8? $9k. Holy price disparities! After sitting on the bikes - Kawasaki's, Honda's, Yamaha's, Triumph's, and no Suzuki's - I wasn't particularly impressed with the comfort of the bikes. The gas tanks seemed obscenely huge on the standard/naked types. After we got done checking the bikes out, I went out to my SV650, sat on it, and realized that its comfort and smallness trounced all the other bikes in the place. Seems like I'm looking for a smallish SuperSport/naked with a Bikemaster Daytona-type handlebar. No huge bikes for me, which is weird because I'm a tall dude.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Nerobro posted:

Just to give you what I think too. If I bought a big block GS, it would be a GS850G. That said, it's going to be a long while before I give up my GS650E. :-) That 850 is also the right color.

Talked to the owner some more and it's been sitting for five years, the tank is rusted, and most of the rubber is bad. If he wasn't an hour away I'd go look at it just to see how it feels to sit on, but not worth the gas. Definitely gonna look for another one though.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

the walkin dude posted:

Today I went to a motorcycle dealership with my gf to look around. A new Speed Triple R? $17k. A Yamaha FZ8? $9k. Holy price disparities! After sitting on the bikes - Kawasaki's, Honda's, Yamaha's, Triumph's, and no Suzuki's - I wasn't particularly impressed with the comfort of the bikes. The gas tanks seemed obscenely huge on the standard/naked types. After we got done checking the bikes out, I went out to my SV650, sat on it, and realized that its comfort and smallness trounced all the other bikes in the place. Seems like I'm looking for a smallish SuperSport/naked with a Bikemaster Daytona-type handlebar. No huge bikes for me, which is weird because I'm a tall dude.

Did you sit on the Street Triple? I'm a big fan of small bikes and that bike felt pretty good.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

the walkin dude posted:

Today I went to a motorcycle dealership with my gf to look around. A new Speed Triple R? $17k. A Yamaha FZ8? $9k. Holy price disparities!

The S3R has carbon wheels and full Ohlins/Brembo race kit, the difference in feel on the road compared to the plebeian Yamaha is going to be stark

(I hear a lot of complaints about the S3R suspension being way too stiff for the street for all but the most aggressive riders, who probably shouldn't be riding like that on the street anyway, and the S3R is questionable as a track bike just from the streetfighter form factor. That doesn't stop poseurs from buying it as the shiniest of all Triumphs.)

If you find you really value the narrow, compact feel of a V Twin, no transverse inline is going to provide it. Look at a Monster or an older Tuono?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Bloody Queef posted:

Did you sit on the Street Triple? I'm a big fan of small bikes and that bike felt pretty good.

Yeah but for 17k you can buy many, many wonderful things. I just think 17k for a motorcycle and hobby is ridiculous honestly but that's my own opinion. :)

I'd rather snag an s1000rr for 13k and spend the 4k on a guitar and two years' worth of classical guitar lessons or something. So I can break the sound barrier riding to the doorsteps of maidens and woo them with some Paco de Lucia. But I'm weird like that.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Xovaan posted:

Yeah but for 17k you can buy many, many wonderful things. I just think 17k for a motorcycle and hobby is ridiculous honestly but that's my own opinion. :)

I'd rather snag an s1000rr for 13k and spend the 4k on a guitar and two years' worth of classical guitar lessons or something. So I can break the sound barrier riding to the doorsteps of maidens and woo them with some Paco de Lucia. But I'm weird like that.

But a Street Triple isn't 17k..

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Oops, misread the post. Still, 17k even for a Speed Triple R is a lot of money. But to each his own.

HornyBoy123
Mar 4, 2005
I'll be going on a riding trip across the US for a month and a half or so in with the purpose of self-discovery and am wondering from those with any experience on the subject, of the beginner bikes goons generally recommend, are there any that especially stand out as a good choice for my needs? I'd especially appreciate advice from someone who has done long tours as mentioned above.

And would a budget for a bike of $1500 be too low when asking it to do 9K miles+? Of course making sure to do any necessary maintenance before setting out of course. I'm unemployed so I'm on a budget without a doubt but I probably won't be able to spend upwards of $2,500.

HornyBoy123 fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jul 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You're looking at beginner bikes with the purpose of buying one to get on and ride across the USA? What made you decide to do this? How much experience do you have?

I mean, a cross country motorcycle voyage of self-discovery sounds like a lot of fun (if a little trite), but I don't know if it's the greatest idea until you have at least a couple thousand miles under your belt, and preferably a couple of weekend trips too.

You can certainly get a bike for $2500 that will do 9000 miles. If you look around you can probably come in around 1500 too, but it would be harder to find. Consider that whatever you get, at the least you'll need new oil and fluids, tires, chain, battery, maybe sprockets. And you might/will be changing some of those halfway through, too.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jul 30, 2012