Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stay off my page
Mar 28, 2010
So, CCO + jsawyer - is everything supposed to be so bullet spongy? Just got to Primm and powder gangers are taking like 20+ hits to take down. This doesn't seem right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I dunno, I was hoping there was something I could fix since I was planning on loading/exiting new vegas a bunch to test mod compatibility and Exit Game > CAD > End Task > Confirm > Actually Close is a lot more irritating than Exit.

But it's not a worry anymore because windows decided to like explode and stop working like crazy. So I'm working on fixing that first, then mod fixing.

and is there a zorg gun in new vegas and no one told me? what
what
what
what?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

SpookyLizard posted:

I dunno, I was hoping there was something I could fix since I was planning on loading/exiting new vegas a bunch to test mod compatibility and Exit Game > CAD > End Task > Confirm > Actually Close is a lot more irritating than Exit.

I think the trick to avoiding it was typing qqq in the console, but I dunno if it still works. Give it a try.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

SplitSoul posted:

I think the trick to avoiding it was typing qqq in the console, but I dunno if it still works. Give it a try.

I'll try it when i can. And to be honest, for a second, I thought you were telling me to go :qq:

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

SpookyLizard posted:

and is there a zorg gun in new vegas and no one told me? what
what
what
what?

I was just saying that there should be one. Just look at this crazy poo poo! Granted, there is basically no way you could make it do all that extra stuff, and I have no idea what the reload animation or iron sights would even look like, but I will never stop dreaming of the day I can roll up on Caesar's tent with one of those babies on my arm. :allears:

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Crowetron posted:

I was just saying that there should be one. Just look at this crazy poo poo! Granted, there is basically no way you could make it do all that extra stuff, and I have no idea what the reload animation or iron sights would even look like, but I will never stop dreaming of the day I can roll up on Caesar's tent with one of those babies on my arm. :allears:

Oh, i'm entirely familiar with it. Hell, i'd love half the guns from The Fifth Element.

but i'd be happy with just a zorg. i dunno how it would work but i dont really care. the only other crazy weird thing i'd really like a is a version of That Gun / 2019 Detective's Special that went bang bang AND pew pew pew. That would make me so happy.

Traveller In Time
Apr 4, 2009

You got anything to eat? I haven't eaten anything since later this afternoon.

stay off my page posted:

So, CCO + jsawyer - is everything supposed to be so bullet spongy? Just got to Primm and powder gangers are taking like 20+ hits to take down. This doesn't seem right.

What level are you and what equipment do you have? CCO increases NPC health and JSawyer increases the DT on the merc outfits so they will be harder than normal.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
The starting weapons are also pretty bad. Once you get your hands on some real guns, poo poo will start to go down a lot faster.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

SplitSoul posted:

Tried that myself and still the game just freezes. So frustrating. I had the same issue with Vanilla NV...

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Traveller In Time posted:

What level are you and what equipment do you have? CCO increases NPC health and JSawyer increases the DT on the merc outfits so they will be harder than normal.
Not to sound like a dick, but I just wanted to correct you on one point here: CCO doesn't increase NPC health, per se. It changes the formula NPCs' health is calculated by to make it more dependent on their stats, same as the player. Most of the time this results in NPCs with marginally more health, but occasionally it can make them much weaker.

Here's the formula Vanilla FNV used:
(NPC Endurance x 5) + (NPC Level x 5)

Here's the formula CCO uses:
(NPC Endurance x 10) + (NPC Level x 2)

So NPCs with high Endurance will be much harder to kill, yes, but no longer will NPCs get loads of freebie HP just for being a high level. Because one multiplier has been raised and another has been lowered, it all more-or-less evens out in the end, albeit tilted towards stats being more important.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I found JSawyer makes battles more lethal, not slower. The difference is that the Legion assassination squads that get sent after me now have power armour in their ranks, though I'm not sure if that's from JSawyer.

Traveller In Time
Apr 4, 2009

You got anything to eat? I haven't eaten anything since later this afternoon.

Cirosan posted:

Not to sound like a dick, but I just wanted to correct you on one point here: CCO doesn't increase NPC health, per se. It changes the formula NPCs' health is calculated by to make it more dependent on their stats, same as the player. Most of the time this results in NPCs with marginally more health, but occasionally it can make them much weaker.

Here's the formula Vanilla FNV used:
(NPC Endurance x 5) + (NPC Level x 5)

Here's the formula CCO uses:
(NPC Endurance x 10) + (NPC Level x 2)

So NPCs with high Endurance will be much harder to kill, yes, but no longer will NPCs get loads of freebie HP just for being a high level. Because one multiplier has been raised and another has been lowered, it all more-or-less evens out in the end, albeit tilted towards stats being more important.

Oh yeah, I know, but I initially assumed that with the greater emphasis on stats over level early level NPCs would have more health, with higher level NPCs having less. I didn't factor in your reduction to low level NPCs however, so they should theoretically have less health than vanilla.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

SplitSoul posted:

I thought exit crashing/hanging was an old Gamebryo standby since Oblivion or maybe even Morrowind?

It's just that, in the past, I've had repeatable crashes on area transition that were fixed by PCB, so I thought it might make a difference in general to have it running automated.

I crash about every half hour to 45 minutes with no discernible culprit. It'll just CTD walking around the wasteland or towns.

Yeah, the crash / hang on exit is definitely a classic, harkening back to the days of Morrowind. That being said, I've had load orders that never, ever crash on exit, and I've had load orders that always crashed on exit.

Crashing every 30 minutes or so? Do you use the FNV4GB executable, because that sounds exactly like you're hitting your RAM ceiling.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Crashing every 30 minutes or so? Do you use the FNV4GB executable, because that sounds exactly like you're hitting your RAM ceiling.

Yes, but I'm on XP, which I know only handles around 3 GB. Could that be the problem?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

SplitSoul posted:

Yes, but I'm on XP, which I know only handles around 3 GB. Could that be the problem?

Absolutely. You're running a metric fuckton of mods, all of which put an additional strain on the game. Every mod loaded increases the demand for RAM, and if your PC isn't equipped to meet those demands, you will experience consistent and regular crashes when you hit your ceiling.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Absolutely. You're running a metric fuckton of mods, all of which put an additional strain on the game. Every mod loaded increases the demand for RAM, and if your PC isn't equipped to meet those demands, you will experience consistent and regular crashes when you hit your ceiling.

Doesn't purging cell buffers clear stuff from memory, though? Or am I completely misunderstanding how that stuff works?

I am running a lot of mods, true, but which ones, or which kinds of mods, would be putting the most strain on memory?

Eh, maybe I should just upgrade to Windows 7 already. I actually have a disc lying around, I've just kept pushing it off till I completed New Vegas, ironically.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

SplitSoul posted:

Eh, maybe I should just upgrade to Windows 7 already. I actually have a disc lying around, I've just kept pushing it off till I completed New Vegas, ironically.

Yes, yes you should. There is virtually no reason to keep using XP any more. It really is a good, stable, solid OS and it's definitely better than even XP as solid as it was back in its time too.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Naky posted:

Yes, yes you should. There is virtually no reason to keep using XP any more. It really is a good, stable, solid OS and it's definitely better than even XP as solid as it was back in its time too.

Oh, I'm aware of that, it's just a major hassle to set up all this poo poo again and familiarising myself with a new OS.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

SplitSoul posted:

Doesn't purging cell buffers clear stuff from memory, though? Or am I completely misunderstanding how that stuff works?

I am running a lot of mods, true, but which ones, or which kinds of mods, would be putting the most strain on memory?

The 'pcb' command is interesting. It clears out the cell buffers which, in turn, increases the responsiveness of navigating menus. It can also reduce stuttering when transitioning cells and shortens load times. However, PCB utilities have been known to increase abrupt CTDs on transitioning cells all the way back to Oblivion.

You also have to remember that using a lot of mods--each of which demands a little more RAM and processing time--culminates in a significant increase in resources. I haven't scoured your list, but obviously mods like IWS and Repopulated Wasteland are big offenders.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

You also have to remember that using a lot of mods--each of which demands a little more RAM and processing time--culminates in a significant increase in resources. I haven't scoured your list, but obviously mods like IWS and Repopulated Wasteland are big offenders.

So script-heavy mods, basically?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

SplitSoul posted:

So script-heavy mods, basically?

Yeah, definitely. Like, for example, Mart's Mutant Mod from Fo3 had this "hunting and looting" feature that had nothing to do with textures, models, or additional NPCs. It was just a script that modified the behavior of NPCs to scavenge for items like the player.

It could murder performance, to the point that the author basically said, "Hey...you might not want to use this."

EDIT: Which means mods that do a lot to revamping NPC AI ("tactical", "kill reactions", etc.) can be pretty demanding in a way that you might not immediately notice, especially if the new AI routines are inefficient.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Arkitektbmw posted:

Tried that myself and still the game just freezes. So frustrating. I had the same issue with Vanilla NV...

Try turning off multi-threaded audio. That fixed my "Freezing when quitting" problem.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Try turning off multi-threaded audio. That fixed my "Freezing when quitting" problem.

Funnily enough, I had actually just turned that on. I'll have to remember not turning it back on.

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

CCO has been updated to version 1.21. This fixes the bug that was brought up last page with certain perks not working with the DR module.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
So here's a question: Let's say I want to start fresh, so that I can rebuild my preferred mods and everything. Is it easiest to just deactivate and uninstall every mod through FOMM and then delete New Vegas and reinstall it? I have no problem redownloading it through Steam, but could I theoretically do a fresh install and then just make a backup of that game data?

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

Legs Benedict posted:

So here's a question: Let's say I want to start fresh, so that I can rebuild my preferred mods and everything. Is it easiest to just deactivate and uninstall every mod through FOMM and then delete New Vegas and reinstall it? I have no problem redownloading it through Steam, but could I theoretically do a fresh install and then just make a backup of that game data?

You shouldn't need to delete everything. Clear out everything in the data folder that you aren't sure is part of the vanilla game, then revalidate using steam to redownload anything you deleted by accident. This will also overwrite your .ini files so if you made tweaks to those (say for darnui or something) you'll need to redo those. Then you should be able to just start re-installing whatever mods you want this time around. As far as making a backup of a fresh install, that works fine, and in fact you can do it automatically through steam.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Crigit posted:

You shouldn't need to delete everything. Clear out everything in the data folder that you aren't sure is part of the vanilla game, then revalidate using steam to redownload anything you deleted by accident. This will also overwrite your .ini files so if you made tweaks to those (say for darnui or something) you'll need to redo those. Then you should be able to just start re-installing whatever mods you want this time around. As far as making a backup of a fresh install, that works fine, and in fact you can do it automatically through steam.

Rad, that's way simpler than I was anticipating it. I feel like I should know all this stuff, but I guess this is what happens when you don't play many PC games for a few years and don't mod any of them. :(

stay off my page
Mar 28, 2010

Traveller In Time posted:

I was level 3 and using basic starter crap, varmint rifle, 9mm pistol, and some lovely NCR armor. The GRA katana I found broke after killing maybe three dudes. And it's not that it's too difficult; I am also incredibly resilient, taking something like 1-3 damage each hit from a powder ganger.

I'm just not sure why CCO + JSawyer is being touted as an ideal combat tweak setup. I thought everyone hated bullet sponges. These are the spongiest of the sponges.

stay off my page fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jul 28, 2012

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

I've come across a bug where my world map is blank, no icons or map. All I can see is my player marker. Local map works fine. Not sure what's causing it. Has anyone run across this issue before?

ihatepants fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jul 28, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

ihatepants posted:

I've come across a bug where my world map is blank, no icons or map. All I can see is my player marker. Local map works fine. Not sure what's causing it. Has anyone run across this issue before?

It seems like your texture has gone missing. Can you verify your cache integrity? Maybe that will fix it.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
I'm back, bitches. :clint:

And with only a few minor formID related setbacks!

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

It seems like your texture has gone missing. Can you verify your cache integrity? Maybe that will fix it.

I tried and didn't work. I even tried disabling everything (but did not delete any of the mesh/texture folders) and it's still the same. Thanks anyway. I guess I'll just reinstall all my mods one by one. Not sure what could have caused this.

Edit: Figured out it was my merged patch that was causing it. I'll just make a new one.

ihatepants fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jul 28, 2012

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
For those unaware, always check the file names of Capn Beeb's pics.

PS where'd you get that gun?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

SpookyLizard posted:

For those unaware, always check the file names of Capn Beeb's pics.

PS where'd you get that gun?

Right here. I added the choke tube myself and retextured the furniture to match my real gun a bit.

I kinda wish the extended mag model's mag tube was all one piece, as it should be, but eh that's just me being a picky bastard :haw:

Edit:

Guys, help. I managed to import an RDR save into New Vegas :ohdear:

Me? I'm just a guy, wandering around. :shobon:

Me? Someone shot me in the face and left me for dead.

They are going to pay dearly. :black101:

Beeb fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jul 28, 2012

Saints Crow
Aug 25, 2006

Johnny is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all bangers

Is that one of the ones included in the Armory? I have those ones and the one Arenovalis made, but I looooove 590s.

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no
Are there any good mods that overhaul the AI? In particular I'm looking for something to make enemies try to take cover, especially when reloading, and ideally to be a little more open to the idea of teamwork or cover fire. All I could find googling was a mod with only 60 comments, many complaining about stability, that hadn't been updated in ages, and a Super Hardcore Realism blugh mod that comes packaged with all kinds of annoying sounding nonsense on the same esp.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

There a mod that makes failed speech options still available even if my Speech is at 100 already? Ideally without removing the successful ones. I just set foot on The Strip on this playthrough and realized I'll miss my favorite line in the whole game when I go to meet Mr. House :(

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010
Multithreaded Audio isn't enabled. Vanilla New Vegas and it still can't close itself properly. Reinstalling entirely because for some reason my Main Menu would not show up, nor would the mouse. UGH NEW VEGAS, friggin' piss me off.

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."
So, I got back to playing New Vegas a month ago, but there's a problem. It crashes to desktop everytime I start it up. It doesn't even get to the main menu. I don't really know what caused it since I haven't downloaded any mods since last year.

Here's the load order. I've got it up to date and I have the latest version of that 4GB thing.

[X] FalloutNV.esm
[X] DeadMoney.esm
[X] HonestHearts.esm
[X] OldWorldBlues.esm
[X] LonesomeRoad.esm
[X] GunRunnersArsenal.esm
[ ] ClassicPack.esm
[ ] MercenaryPack.esm
[ ] TribalPack.esm
[ ] CaravanPack.esm
[X] Active Wasteland.esm
[X] CompanionInfAmmo.esm
[X] Military Explansion Program.esm
[X] NSkies URWLified.esm
[X] ELECTRO-CITY - Highways and Byways.esm
[X] ELECTRO-CITY - CompletedWorkorders.esm
[X] Weapon Mod Expansion.esm
[X] WME - Dead Money.esm
[X] WME - Honest Hearts.esm
[X] NVStripOpen.esm
[ ] SCAV.esm
[X] WARZONES - Misanthropy Pure.esm
[X] DFB - Random Encounters.esm
[X] Project Nevada - Core.esm
[X] Project Nevada - Equipment.esm
[X] IWS-Core.esm
[X] Caliber.esm
[X] CaliberXhonesthearts.esm
[X] The.Armory.esm
[X] CASM.esp
[X] DynamiCamera.esp
[X] The Mod Configuration Menu.esp
[X] The Weapon Mod Menu.esp
[X] populatedcasino.esp
[X] RefinedCasinoPeople&Suits.esp
[X] StripOpenNPCs.esp
[X] clean McCarran.esp
[X] Realistic Portable Tent.esp
[X] XFO - 9a - Enemies - AI revamp.esp
[X] XFO - 9da - Enemies - NPC Healing - low.esp
[X] Project Nevada - Rebalance.esp
[X] cOMBOhEADGEAR.esp
[X] cOMBOhEADGEARHonestHearts.esp
[X] GlovesGalore_DeadMoney.esp
[X] GlovesGalore.esp
[X] Project Nevada - Dead Money.esp
[X] Project Nevada - Honest Hearts.esp
[X] CONELRAD 640-1240.esp
[X] ExtendedNVRadio.esp
[X] CRL9K_ThisMachineSound.esp
[X] NewVegasBounties.esp
[X] Active Wasteland - Vanilla Replacements.esp
[X] Active Wasteland - Coffee Maker.esp
[X] Active Wasteland - Dead Money Replacements.esp
[X] Active Wasteland - Dead Money Coffee Maker.esp
[X] IWS-Core-Patrols.esp
[X] IWS-Core-Guards.esp
[X] IWS-Core-Civilians.esp
[X] IWS-DM.esp
[X] IWS-HH.esp
[X] ManualReload.esp
[X] Rustyhwys.esp
[X] AG Supplementary Uniques.esp
[X] AG Supplementary Uniques-Dead Money.esp
[X] AG Supplementary Uniques-Honest Hearts.esp
[X] AK_AR15WP.esp
[X] FN FAL.esp
[X] Alexscorpion'sNVG.esp
[X] Armory_of_Xzax.esp
[X] FlashlightNVSE.esp
[X] Geonox_Wasteland_outfits.esp
[X] VT Custom Ranger Gear.esp
[X] Unified Backpack Mod.esp
[X] FleshBurningPlasma.esp
[X] Desert_Scorpion.esp
[X] Sunglasses Shipment.esp
[X] Tailor Maid - NV.esp
[X] Tailor Maid Black Retex - NV.esp
[X] TGsArmorCollectionVegas.esp
[X] w44Satchels - Lite.esp
[X] WastelandNecklaceCollection.esp
[X] CompanionDisguises.esp
[X] Companion Sandbox Mode.esp
[X] GARU.esp
[X] ImprovedCompanions.esp
[X] [atomic mods] backpacks_nv_eng.esp
[X] dD - Enhanced Blood Main NV.esp
[X] dD-Smaller Wounds.esp
[X] dD-Screen Blood Vanilla.esp
[X] dD-Smaller Spatters Realistic.esp
[X] body blood replacment.esp
[X] Modified Combat Values v2.esp
[X] More Realistic Aiming.esp
[X] Permanent_Weapon_Shells_Medium.esp
[X] UsableCigarettes neunen Ver for New Vegas.esp
[X] Weapon Mod Expansion.esp
[X] AG Supplementary Uniques WME.esp
[X] AG Supplementary Uniques-Dead Money WME.esp
[X] AG Supplementary Uniques-Honest Hearts WME.esp
[X] Project Nevada - WME.esp
[X] WME - Dead Money.esp
[X] WME - Honest Hearts.esp
[X] WME - Dead Money Arenovalis Retex.esp
[X] WME - Honest Hearts Arenovalis.esp
[X] Vurt's WFO.esp
[X] NSkies URWLifiedHH.esp
[X] NSkies URWLifiedDM.esp
[X] Interior Lighting Overhaul-Realistic Interiors-Full.esp
[X] ILO-RI-Dead Money.esp
[X] ILO-RI-Honest Hearts.esp
[X] mossberg500.esp
[X] nopipboyglove.esp
[X] Full-Auto Svc-Rifle and Mks-Carbine - v2.1.esp
[X] MobsterShotgun.esp
[X] WearableDogtags.esp
[X] Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Sawn-Off Barrels.esp
[X] zoomfov75.esp
[X] zoomfov75deadmoney.esp
[X] zoomfov75honesthearts.esp
[X] Red Bandana.esp
[X] Forward Obsever.esp
[X] LexFONVclothingI.esp
[X] The.Armory.Sample.Sounds.esp
[X] The.Armory.HonestHearts.Patch.esp
[X] The.Armory.Cabinet.Addon.esp
[X] Gunslinger.esp
[X] BoonieHats.esp
[ ] blank.esp
[X] gear.esp
[X] Thearmorybetterpistols.esp
[X] betterlightmachinegun.esp
[X] thearmorybetterm60.esp
[X] tactical gear.esp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Ace Oliveira posted:

So, I got back to playing New Vegas a month ago, but there's a problem. It crashes to desktop everytime I start it up. It doesn't even get to the main menu. I don't really know what caused it since I haven't downloaded any mods since last year.

Here's the load order. I've got it up to date and I have the latest version of that 4GB thing.

Everything's up to date but you haven't downloaded any in a year? So, you've updated them since trying to play just now?

Also VT Custom Ranger Gear I believe was replaced by ADAM.